The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C-Trayne

Penny's Job

They do appear to be working through the checklist. Not sure if they want to remove all the contrasts and conflicts but there is probably nothing to stop them riffing on her job for a while. Maybe they'll make her more of a "slash" worker. Ie actress/server/teen social worker. So, she starts a social work degree and works part time counselling aspiring teen female actors after they get off the bus.

You know what would really annoy me?  If Penny finally got that big break, and a hot male costar made her rethink being with the Geek Squad.

Looks like Penny's acting career is done, replaced by educational goals. Kaley says Penny was a bad actress anyway.

You know what would really annoy me?  If Penny finally got that big break, and a hot male costar made her rethink being with the Geek Squad.
It would be a classic setup, alluded to in s5 when they talked about marriage, prenups and Ryan Gosling. But there will be future threats I think, but they should be able to ward them off.

That would probably kill the whole show, if she didn't defend her friends.

It would have to be something that has nothing to do with science. Like a liberal arts degree.

Penny's Job:

Penny needs to break into show business. If she doesn't then she will probably go home in one to two years to Nebraska and work at some meaningless job.

Either way, she will not stay with Leonard much longer. A year or two.

It's very common to leave someone for the sake of an acting career and hook up with an actor. Someone that is good looking and has the same interests as her. (That's just the facts.) Leonard might be hurt, but for a short time as he needs someone with different interests. I don't think there would be any hard feelings between them if they both move on down different paths.

Penny doesn't really seem to be interested in children. I don't think she would be a good stay at home mum, even in Nebraska.

Also I don't think she's heard of Robert Frost.

Do you have any insight in why the writers would destroy the wildly successful path the show is currently following to implement any of your suggestion?

• Like 2

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
If Penny is now at school what major? What would set Sheldon off the most? I know Leonard won't care.

She only mentioned a History class, so it is within the humanities.

Remember, just because she said she's a terrible waitress (only once, if memory serves), doesn't mean she really is.  People make self-depricating comments all the time that aren't true.

Did she only say it once? I thought she said it once at work and once to the girls. I'm not positive though. I wonder if it was now just done as a justification for her starting school again?

well, Sheldon mentioned that Penny usually complains that she is undertipped, so I guess that is another indication that she's a bad waitress.

My sister was a waitress while she went to college.  Being undertipped is a real problem.  She had regulars who only tipped one dollar no matter what they ordered or how many people were with them. 

Did she only say it once? I thought she said it once at work and once to the girls. I'm not positive though. I wonder if it was now just done as a justification for her starting school again?

I think it was a sign post to show she has has enough and wants change. Last I recall she was just doing one class at school. It will interesting if they get more specific about that. They added more depth in 6.12 when she talked about looking at catalogues. She may keep waitressing ( badly) while she studies. It would be funny to see the boys on her campus sometime.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION!!!!

Obviously Penny would not want to lend money after the Sheldon incident. She would cry and NOT tell Leonard as she knows he would intervene just like her History assignment. SO instead Leonard would find out through secondary sources and ask around at the University if there were any spare cafeteria jobs. Penny would then start work at the cafeteria and problem between the gang would ensue. Penny could catch Howard chatting other woman up. Penny could catch Leonard  chatting other woman up. Leonard would condescend Penny and therefore an argument of sorts would break out. 

Penny's acting career could actually take off and the fame go to her head, just like Raj's fame did when he was the magazines (was is Forbes magazine)  30 under 30 to watch.

I read somewhere long time ago (before the 8th episode was taped)...that Penny's study buddy Cole is going to ask her to play a part in his movie ...... wonder what happened to that??

I read somewhere long time ago (before the 8th episode was taped)...that Penny's study buddy Cole is going to ask her to play a part in his movie ...... wonder what happened to that??

I think they scrapped that storyline altogether. It now rests in peace iwth Sheldon's brother coming to town and Raj's deaf girlfriend #1

I just watched the episode where Howard told Bernadette he was going to space and she didn't want him to go and it gave me an idea.  What if Penny got a small speaking part in a movie and she is working filming it, because it is being done locally, and near the end she finds out she has to be topless for a few seconds in her last scene.  She is very torn on whether to do the scene, but she sort of has to because otherwise they will have to find someone else and re-shoot all her scenes.  She would have to talk to Leonard, so can you imagine Leonard trying to be suportive with that and Raj and Howard saying they can't wait to buy the movie on blueray.  In the end the scene can be scaped because the movie is too long or the viewer only sees Penny's back in the movie. 

• Like 1

I don't mean it to be trashy, just to put an issue out there for Penny and Leonard to deal with.

Not judging you, judging me. :) :);)

... Struggling to stay grown up... Nup, failed. Still 17 in the head sometimes.

Edited by Nogravitasatall