The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.10 The Fish Guts Displacement (Dec. 6)

Your Episode Rating  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Ok, loved it from beginning to end. And not just for the Shamy stuff.

I love Bernadette's mom! And when the guys go "Who do we know that knows how to do manly things?" and Penny opens the door "Sup?". hahah brilliant. I loved the scenes with her teaching Howard how to deal with fishing, and the bonding between him and Bernie's dad was really sweet at the end. "You're an astronaut and your wife makes you do things. And she's 4 feet tall". hahaha.

Sheldon "I put the fun in funeral." LMAO!

The dialogue was brilliant in this one. 

Now, the Shamy. So much better than I even imagined. I totally agree with Bazingafan that the spanking scene was completely different from what I envisioned, so much better. Mayim was just brilliant in all the scenes, her deliveries were great, I do think she stole the ep from Jim. I loved her facial expressions when she finds out she's been busted. And I loved the way he starts humming at her while he's rubbing the Vaporub. 

But yes, the very opening Shamy scene was a lot more meaningful than anything else in the ep. The way he laughs at/with her about the agreement was adorable, and the way he comes back to take care of her and not just because it's in the agreement. Sheldon keeps growing. Of course it's something we've never seen him do, that's the whole point, he did things that would normally be OOC for him but he still did it in his own way. And the fact that he's talking about trust in the relationship makes me go awww. 

Oh and I'm curious to see what's going to happen in future episodes re: Sheldon knocking on her door. He seems to have keys now. ;)

Biggest pet-peeve. They cut out the one random guy who goes "hehe" when Sheldon pulls out the thermometer from her mouth. LOL. That cracked me up in the promo, I was so waiting for it. lol. Yes, that's the only thing that bugged me in the episode.

I'm sure I'll have more to say at a later time, going to watch it again now :)

I noticed that that laugh was missing...and I was also surprised to notice that he had a key, or was borrowing Amy's keys. Whatever the case, he just let himself into her apartment without knocking.

I also love that he mentioned the idea of trust in their relationship--that's an important point. But I also love that he mentions mutual admiration that skews in his favor... :p

Second viewing. I love that he's reading her a genetics book. lol. That's the kind of Shamy stuff I miss. 

On another note, how the hell does Jim lose weight this fast? In the season opening he was buff S5-style, now he's thinner every episode and it's only been 2-3 months. 

@lexi I can't prove a negative, so I cannot claim that Sheldon definitely wasn't thinking about sex, I just find it extremely unlikely. Was it registering on some unconscious level? Sure, maybe. Likely, even. The main problem I have with believing Sheldon has a conscious sexual desire in this episode is that it's based on the premise that the character is purposefully acting coy or even deceptive. Why? When has Sheldon failed to honestly express himself and his feelings about anything? Sheldon is aware that Amy finds him sexy and I think he has a growing sexual interest in her. I just think he had no idea that Amy would take any sexual pleasure in his performing any of activities that his mother had previously performed on him. He is very sexually naive and the context was all wrong.

Sheldon explained where the punishment came from and it fits with the rest of the episode. He was caring for her like a child and then punished her like his father had done to his brother. Read deeper into if you like, but there is no direct evidence for taking it beyond face value. I don't believe that any of this means Sheldon can't or won't have sexual interest in Amy in the future. I just don't think that part of Sheldon has arrived just yet.

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 5

I loved Penny in this episode!  She was funny, confident and in charge!   

OK, got that out.  I loved this episode, one of my favourites for this season and what a season so far, seriously all the bad episodes of season 5 are almost forgiven.  Penny teaching the boys how to bait and gut fish was perfect, their reactions were perfect,Penny was perfect (see above).  Howard and Mike (I really like Bernadette's parents) their scenes were very touching, they really were.  Shamy,  the chemistry between these two is so good, they just feed off each other.  Lovely to see Berni and Amy have made up.  Will watch this episode a few more times, just because I can. 

Edited by Convict13
  • Like 1

Good episode, indeed, but I think it lacked something... Can't quite wrap my mind about what was wrong... Probably the lack of L/P interactions. =(

Someone mentioned above about sheldon's suit -- interesting yes that they put him in a more mature, nice looking suit rather than the plaid one he usually wears.  He looked very sexy.

• Like 2

Second viewing. I love that he's reading her a genetics book. lol. That's the kind of Shamy stuff I miss. 

On another note, how the hell does Jim lose weight this fast? In the season opening he was buff S5-style, now he's thinner every episode and it's only been 2-3 months. 

Actually, he had already started losing weight when this season first started because he had a bit of a belly in season 5 that was gone when this season began. Jim gained some weight, clearly didn't like it and did something about it. Not a big deal. I like him thicker and I also like him the way he is now. Whatever he chooses to be, as long as he's happy and healthy, that makes me one happy camper. The only time he was extremely thin was in the beginning of season 4 and even HE agreed he was too thin so again, he acted on it. 

Monique

• Like 1

@lexi I can't prove a negative, so I cannot claim that Sheldon definitely wasn't thinking about sex, I just find it extremely unlikely. Was it registering on some unconscious level? Sure, maybe. Likely, even. The main problem I have with believing Sheldon has a conscious sexual desire in this episode is that it's based on the premise that the character is purposefully acting coy or even deceptive. Why? When has Sheldon failed to honestly express himself and his feelings about anything? Sheldon is aware that Amy finds him sexy and I think he has a growing sexual interest in her. I just think he had no idea that Amy would take any sexual pleasure in his performing any of activities that his mother had previously performed on him. He is very sexually naive and the context was all wrong.

Sheldon explained where the punishment came from and it fits with the rest of the episode. He was caring for her like a child and then punished her like his father had done to his brother. Read deeper into if you like, but there is no direct evidence for taking it beyond face value. I don't believe that any of this means Sheldon can't or won't have sexual interest in Amy in the future. I just don't think that part of Sheldon has arrived just yet.

I think its been there all along thats what I'm saying and writers have shown Sheldon can be coy and devious when he wants to be as well as honest and forthcoming when he chooses to be.  Another example of Sheldon being coy is whenever he pretends to be telling the truth and then when his friends are like are you serious he says the famous line BAZINGA!!  Sheldon knows how to lie, in fact they once spend an entire episode on him weaving an un-unravenable web of deceit for Leonard just to get out of going to hear Penny sing. 

Yes, Sheldon is usually pretty honest because it benefits his big ego to tell people exactly what he thinks all the time whether they like it or not,but that doesn't mean he can't lie or keep secrets or play coy when he wants to.  He was raised by a strict religious mother who told him to tell the truth, but his mother also told him to hide the secret that she smoked in the car from their dad and as far as we know he didn't reveal the secret to anyone until he got high on valium and told Leonard.  He's recieived a lot of mixed messages growing up and so he gives out a lot of mixed messages in return to everyone that is part of his self preservation instincts on how to cope with world around him, one of the main ones being that he always remains on the surface pretending as though he has no sexual desires, but underneath the facade they are there and have always been there. 

He kept Penny's secret about wanting to break up with Leonard even though he warned her not to hurt his friend. Sheldon chose to play coy with Leonard and talk about Transformers and Mark Ruffalo instead of just out right telling him hey your girl is thinking about leaving you.   Sheldon also plays coy with Amy all time he refused to admit when she asked him point blank that he was jealous over her desire for Zack instead he deflected it by saying "I'll think I'll eat my lunch at home"  and he also proved that he knows when a woman is horny too because he told Penny in laundry room that she was when Penny asked him he didn't say "well she is showing symptoms of sexual arousal, but I think its really that she has an alien parasite up her cooch." No he said point blank "Forget science she's horny!"  that means Sheldon knows when his woman is horny and sexually aroused and he pretends/ignores it because he's not yet Ready to give it all up yet.  He's been repressing his urges to have fun for so long that he even has to hide in closet in basement just to play hackey sac and doesnt' want to tell his friends the truth. 

That is just not the behavior of a naive manchild who doesn't understand what he's doing or what other people are thinking.  Sheldon knows exactly what he is doing all the time he plans it all out in his brain he's methodical that way and always has been.  He is very intelligent and he even knows exactly how many muscles it takes to kiss someone.  He just feigns naivety when its convienent for him to do so and he chooses to do this with everyone not just Amy. He pretended that the world was going to end and made the building lights go out when he knew he turned off the main breaker switch just to get Leonard to reinstate their roommate agreement, now tell me how is that honest?   He kept up the lie/secret along with Leonard and Howard that Raj had to give them gifts on holidays.  He kept up the lie that his cousin Leo was actually his cousin.  Sheldon knows how to lie and he knows how to make it look like he doesn't know how to lie and he chooses to tell people the honest truth when its what he wants to do and because he knows its right thing to do, but he still lies sometimes and pretends a lot of time too.  

When he gets drunk his true feelings come out because he can no longer hide or repress them, he admitted while drunk he's a callous egomaniac, that he's scared she may leave him someday.  He also made a sexual joke when he got drunk at Howard's party indicating he does think about sex at times.  I'm telling you Bernadette was correct when she said that the reason sheldon doesn't know he's being mean is part of his brain that should know is gettting a wedgie from rest of his brain, well its same with his sexual desires.  A part of his brain that knows he has them is being squeezed out by his pre frontal cortex reasoning.  Like Amy said its pre frontal cortex reasoning vs. Limbic lust. and so far Sheldon has always been the voice of reason, but the limbic lust is seeping its way out and it did when he stare at her behind right before spanking her and puckered his lips. 

Rewatch that scene again he clearly looks at it and clearly enjoys spanking her and not like a parent spanks a child, but like a sexually repressed geek spanks his nerdy sexually frustrated girlfriend in order to get opportunity to stare at her ass, touch her behind, give her pleasure and punish her for lying to him all under the disguise that oh I'm just a naive little man child and I have no idea what i'm doing.  YEAH RIGHT!!

I'm sorry I just don't buy it that he doesn't get it at all.  He gets it he just doesn't want anyone to know he gets it and he wants to pretend like he doesn't get it because he's not ready to just come right out and DO IT ......yet ;)   Until he can just admit the truth to Amy and himself, he will continue to weave webs and feign innocent just like spiderman,batman and superman do to hide their true identities and feelings.  Sheldon pretends to be Clark Kent naive and fragile, but underneath the mild mannered disguise he is really SUPERSHELDON a KINKY SOB sex freak who wants to do naughty things to his girlfriend like spank her ass. 

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 4

Howard made me laugh so much with the worm :D 
Amy and Sheldon made me feel embarrassed to watch it but in a funny way, I was covering my face laughing. I wish Amy was a little less eager, but that spanking was cringing funny!
Sherm the worm ;)

Edited by LoveShamy

I'm sure the Shamy shippers will absolutely love this episode.

It was one of those eps similar to a couple from season 5 where the opening scene was a little weak and threatened to tarnish anything that followed after the opening credits.

Two things I will repeat myself on.

Simon Helberg sooooo needs to get into some serious movie roles. He does "serious" perfectly. His acting is top notch.

And secondly, LOSE THE BEER BOTTLE writers !!! We simply put a beer bottle on a table now and Raj can speak to Penny??!! It's as if they're not even trying anymore.

Lose the beer and just let Raj speak. /end rant

Another 'meh' ep for me. Amy's scenes were giggle worthy but I'm still unsure as to whether or not I liked the spanking scene. Will give it another watch and see.

Definitely one for the Shamy fans.

Edited by netmouse

superlovelexi -- I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I think one reason this season is so interesting is that they are pushing the envelope with sheldon but at the same time still portraying him as innocent -- it's like you said, there are layers there and this episode can be interpreted in so many ways -- which is part of what is making this season so great.  There is definitely a new sheldon evolving and it is true that it could have always been there, like you said, and is just now beginning to come out.

I look forward to seeing the ratings.  The comments on facebook look positive, many saying is was the best of the season.

• Like 2

I truly believe that writers will string us Shamy fans along for as long as possible on Sheldon's sexual desires for Amy because thats part of fun, same way they've strung the Lenny fans on Penny's feelings towards Leonard for five years before she finally say ILY.  So I can wait if it takes til season 10 for them to officially have sex, but to be honest its so much fun watching Sheldon and Amy experiment and tease each other and be physical under the disguise of it being just for science or just because Sheldon thinks Amy is sick or whatever other excuse they come up with next time so that nonshamy fans and those who want to keep pretending Sheldon doesn't want her that way or is only asexual can do so for as long as possible. 

But, he obviously cares about her very much he said so tonight and I'm sorry, but no man baths a woman, rubs her chest and spanks her just for the hell of it.  I'm not saying these don't have strong ties to what his mother did for him growing up it obviously does and he definitely was playing sweet caregiver to her, but that doesn't dimiss the fact that he may actually be enjoying the things he did to Amy more than he realizes or more than he is willing to admit even to himself.  For example He told her that she wasn't suppose to enjoy her punishment, but he made it clear that he knew she was enjoying it anyway and the fact that he was even willing to do it at all shows he was getting some twisted pleasure of it too cause otherwise he wouldn't have bothered he have just broken up with her for lying to him or made her write on his white board 314 times "I will not lie to my boyfriend"  made her go sit in the corner and think about what she done or make her do chores etc.. but nope Sheldon was one who came up with the idea of spanking her and was eager to get her across his knees so he could do it.  It was all sexual innuendo and jokes put there to make us more comfortable with seeing Sheldon as sexual being and not just a germphobic man child with no knowledge or understanding of sex and lust.  He is a genius and Amy has been throwing herself at him for at least a year by this point so unless we are to believe he is a total MORON its totally plausible that his behavior with her is his way of giving her what he knows she wants and what he secretly wants in a way that seems on surface only innocent, but really is not.  The way he even bother to ask if she wanted his help with the bathing or bothering to spank her or touch her at all shows not only that he cares for her, but that he is willing and eager to touch her now even if he acts as though he doesn't care or doesn't like it.  Just like with the handholding, he still DID IT!

That is not the behavior of an asexual man with no interest in women, sex or being physical at all.  Nope that is behavior of a sexually repressed geek who wants to find ways to touch his girlfriend and pretend as though he doesn't enjoy doing so because of the religious uptight upbringing he recieved growing up and his own fear of getting into a relationship as toxic as his parents.  No wonder he doesn't drink its obvious his father was an alcholic and abused his mother and brother and maybe him as well.  All guys had messed up childhoods with crazy parents and that has affected how they behave now with the women in their lives.  Leonard with his clingingness and over desire to please, Howard with his oedipal complex and thinking Bernadette sounds sexy when she talks like his mother.  Raj with his selective mutism and SHeldon with his sexual repression disguised as mere germphobia.  Please he even said long time ago to Amy that he uses the ancient practice of kolihnar to repress his primitive urges along with drinking lots of chamomille tea.  

But, when he can no longer suppress them entirely Sheldon is going to come out guns a blazing and be full on sex manaic because he has repressed his feelings for so long he won't be able to help it and he'll just go nuts obssessed with it like he does with everything else that he gets really into physics, star trek, even playing games.  Sheldon will make Amy beg for mercy and ride her like a cowboy just ya'll wait. He's from Texas, after all need I say more lol :icon_lol:

While I agree that no normal, straight, male could, I think Shrldon is an exception to that rule.  I believe Sheldon will remain completely oblivious.

• Like 1

superlovelexi -- I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I think one reason this season is so interesting is that they are pushing the envelope with sheldon but at the same time still portraying him as innocent -- it's like you said, there are layers there and this episode can be interpreted in so many ways -- which is part of what is making this season so great.  There is definitely a new sheldon evolving and it is true that it could have always been there, like you said, and is just now beginning to come out.

I look forward to seeing the ratings.  The comments on facebook look positive, many saying is was the best of the season.

I really can't believe how positive ppl are being of FB about the episode.

Yes, the attitude on facebook is that it was wonderful.  I am very interested in the ratings.

After rewatching it again, I am beginning to lean on the side of sheldon being mostly oblivious, but there was definitely a connection between them at the door, even before he left the first time and he smiled at her before coming back.  That was my favorite part.

Another shout out to the Howard scene with his father in law.  They were both excellent.

The spanking scene -- Jim Parsons, how do you do it?  He was so robotic in his actions -- his expression completely oblivious to Amy's reaction.  I don't know how they did this scene without laughing the whole time.

Edited by BazingaFan

@ Lexi, I never said Sheldon couldn't lie, I wanted a reasonable justification for why he would in this circumstance. As best I can surmise, your justification is he's not ready to admit he has sexual urges to Amy just yet. Okay, fine. That's where we disagree. I think when he does have them, he will be surprised and it'll be pretty near impossible for him to hide from Amy. I think you are reading more into it than is really there (for now at least, the rest of S6 could play out very differently), but Sheldon is clearly developing feelings for her. I don't see that Jim Parsons did anything in the spanking scene then play Sheldon as absolutely innocent. We disagree, not a big deal.

• Like 1

I swear to you I half watch the show again for the audience's reactions. In this one starting around 1:40 there's a guy who keeps going "mwahahahah" on his own. I love it. I should make a compilation of my favorite reactions.

eta: wow, I'm surprise at 1 ) the number of comments in such a short time and 2 ) the fact that 99% of the comments are positive on the spanking scene on Youtube. Wow. I did not expect this reaction, I was bracing for flaming when I read the taping report. 

The Shamy needs some Emmys, me thinks.

Edited by spook
  • Like 3

Yes, the attitude on facebook is that it was wonderful.  I am very interested in the ratings.

After rewatching it again, I am beginning to lean on the side of sheldon being mostly oblivious, but there was definitely a connection between them at the door, even before he left the first time and he smiled at her before coming back.  That was my favorite part.

Another shout out to the Howard scene with his father in law.  They were both excellent.

The spanking scene -- Jim Parsons, how do you do it?  He was so robotic in his actions -- his expression completely oblivious to Amy's reaction.  I don't know how they did this scene without laughing the whole time.

I so agree with this one. When he stops and turns around to go back to her, to me it's a pivotal moment for this character. Maybe even bigger than when he grabbed her hand at the end of last season. 

I haven't even got to how much I loved Simon Helberg's performance. He is by far the most under rated actor on the show and the thing is, his performances get better every season. I love that his father in law has begun to soften just a little, Leonard said it best that Howard now has a dad again after so many years. I love that.

Melissa Rauch was just great. Her delivery of 'I canceled that thing' was brilliant. A lot of the time the B story that evolves around H/B I can take it or leave it. The moving story in the Habitat Configuration was a definite example of this. The Howard and Bernadette story in 6.10 I almost looked forward to re watching as much as the Sheldon and Amy scenes. Almost.

• Like 1

oh!  Ticket to Ride, they are playing Ticket to Ride at the cold start!!!  I love that game, many an evening I have made my partner play it (mmm, he doesn't show quite the enthusiasm  that I do).

Edited by Convict13

I'm sort of leaning towards the "wait and see" view point, I think with Sheldon you have to go backwards, he does something one episode and then nothing happens in the next that shows any emotional growth, but sometimes he does something and the next episode it sort of runs that he did learn something in the last episode, so I always wait and see what happens next with him. 

• Like 1

Finally saw this one....... A good one :)

Howard-Mike story was the good-old scary father-in-law and geeky-son-in law trying to sneak past their women-folk. All in all this was a simple and a very pleasant storyline. Nice way to include Penny in a fishing plot which was quite humorous.

The gist of the Sheldon/Amy plot that Sheldon is willing to cross the lines which he would not have crossed previously , in-order to take care of Amy was very nice and touching as it proved that his affection for her is genuine

Sheldon/Amy intimacy is a great fodder for comedy..but IMO they should check their boundaries......I get that Sheldon did not mean anything sexual..but all the source of comedy was coming from sexual double entendre's.......I just wish they still make these kind of scenes in a cute/endearing/funny way rather than going for the weird/gross/funny route

And I more thing if Sheldon is not aroused sexually after seeing her naked , helping her bath , rubbing vapo on her chest, spanking her ass....how will he ever get aroused sexually ...I'm really curious to see how the writers proceed in this direction...because even after all the things that happened till now I have'nt seen any kind of hints/clues where Sheldon enjoys being physically intimate with Amy..... So I just have wait and watch :)

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

oh!  Ticket to Ride, they are playing Ticket to Ride at the cold start!!!  I love that game, many an evening I have made my partner play it (mmm, he doesn't show quite the enthusiasm  that I do).

I didn't even notice--now I'll have to go back and rewatch it again (for the 3rd or 4th time...)  Some time ago I said that they ought to play that game because of Sheldon's train fetish!

I've played it several times with my sister's family and I knew it would be right up Sheldon's quirky alley.

One little detail I loved last night was the pizza grease all over Penny's face when she first answered the door.  I love that she's so laid back and comfortable with Leonard and the guys--and I love that she was so willing to help Howard. :)

This episode is fantastic! Sheldon and Amy...oh my God, still I am burning :)

I like very much Howard and his father -in -law performance. They are great. And Penny teaching how to fish...what more I can say? It is perfect!