The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.10 The Fish Guts Displacement (Dec. 6)

Your Episode Rating  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Finally saw this one....... A good one :)

Howard-Mike story was the good-old scary father-in-law and geeky-son-in law trying to sneak past their women-folk. All in all this was a simple and a very pleasant storyline. Nice way to include Penny in a fishing plot which was quite humorous.

The gist of the Sheldon/Amy plot that Sheldon is willing to cross the lines which he would not have crossed previously , in-order to take care of Amy was very nice and touching as it proved that his affection for her is genuine

Sheldon/Amy intimacy is a great fodder for comedy..but IMO they should check their boundaries......I get that Sheldon did not mean anything sexual..but all the source of comedy was coming from sexual double entendre's.......I just wish they still make these kind of scenes in a cute/endearing/funny way rather than going for the weird/gross/funny route

And I more thing if Sheldon is not aroused sexually after seeing her naked , helping her bath , rubbing vapo on her chest, spanking her ass....how will he ever get aroused sexually ...I'm really curious to see how the writers proceed in this direction...because even after all the things that happened till now I have'nt seen any kind of hints/clues where Sheldon enjoys being physically intimate with Amy..... So I just have wait and watch :)

I had the same reaction you did after reading the taping report, but then, thinking about it and watching it... I think Sheldon being Sheldon, I don't know that the writers would go down the predictable route of him seeing her naked in the bath and getting aroused. It would be very cliche'. Imo, if and when they do show Sheldon's sexual awakening, it's going to happen in a pretty random and unexpected manner. Like she will say something or do something that suddenly makes him do his own version of the "Hoo", but I don't think it's going to be something predictable like her having a makeover or, in this case, seeing her in the bath. Either that or they will show that he has actually been suppressing it all along. 

I do think it is way too soon to play the Sheldon-sex card. I think they're slooooooowly building towards something but they're not going to do that just yet. That's the whole appeal of this couple, that they move like glaciers. It took him 2 years to ask her to be his girlfriend, he is only now maturing emotionally and probably coming to terms with it. If you think about it, once they start showing that he is sexually attracted to her, they can't drag it out too long, there's literally nothing to stop them from having sex, and then what? How do you fill another 2, 3, 4 seasons of Shamy? I think the writers are simply milking the cow for all that is worth, I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of what will happen in the future. As I said before, to me, this ep is like TAPH where Amy took his hand to see whether she would be aroused and nothing happened... and look at her 2 years later. All it means is that *right now* he either isn't there yet or he is doing a damn good job at hiding it.

I think this year they are showing that they are getting more and more comfortable with each other, physically and emotionally. And there must be a reason for that. I'm really curious as to what they have in store.

• Like 4

Finally saw this one....... A good one :)

Howard-Mike story was the good-old scary father-in-law and geeky-son-in law trying to sneak past their women-folk. All in all this was a simple and a very pleasant storyline. Nice way to include Penny in a fishing plot which was quite humorous.

The gist of the Sheldon/Amy plot that Sheldon is willing to cross the lines which he would not have crossed previously , in-order to take care of Amy was very nice and touching as it proved that his affection for her is genuine

Sheldon/Amy intimacy is a great fodder for comedy..but IMO they should check their boundaries......I get that Sheldon did not mean anything sexual..but all the source of comedy was coming from sexual double entendre's.......I just wish they still make these kind of scenes in a cute/endearing/funny way rather than going for the weird/gross/funny route

And I more thing if Sheldon is not aroused sexually after seeing her naked , helping her bath , rubbing vapo on her chest, spanking her ass....how will he ever get aroused sexually ...I'm really curious to see how the writers proceed in this direction...because even after all the things that happened till now I have'nt seen any kind of hints/clues where Sheldon enjoys being physically intimate with Amy..... So I just have wait and watch :)

Sheldon will get 'turned on' in the most non-conventional sense when the time comes, right now, Sheldon is unwittingly satisfying his girl and that was HILARIOUS!

I think that when Sheldon eventually gets turned on, it will come through something intellectual first, that then somehow will translate into the emotional, and then finally into the physical.

He obviously doesn't get turned on by the simple sight of a naked female body, I think especially, as bostrich has been pointing out, in the context of this situation.

Sheldon simply doesn't think or react along the same lines as any other guy.  It's science and the universe and things like that that turn him on for now.

I think that he's making significant strides in simply understanding what it means to be a boyfriend, but also allowing himself to admit that he cares about Amy and her well-being.  I also think that the writers are very aware of how slowly they're working with Sheldon and Amy.  It's always funnier for one person, especially someone like Sheldon, to be completely oblivious to the reactions of the other person.  They even did it with Leonard and Alex when she was trying to hit on him at the cafeteria and later in her text message.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

I also forgot to say something that I've been thinking ever since I read the report and that it links back to my belief that the whole "When I have a feeling, I know it" and "He is capable of things we haven't seen yet" is the actual undercurrent of this season.

A part of me is convinced, based on this, that they will not play out Sheldon realizing he is in love or Sheldon realizing he is sexually attracted to Amy in the way that is most predictable for his character (and indeed the way it happens in all fanfics): i.e., freaking out. I think it might very well be that Sheldon is so far ahead than anyone perceives him to be and that's why he keeps surprising everyone over and over again this season. In that context, it makes complete sense that he would take care of Amy as if they were an old married couple. That's the vibe I got from this ep, and also by the whole biking wax thing last week, that there's already a level of comfort between them that one normally achieves after sexual intimacy with their partner. It's kind of like Sheldon has bypassed all of that and is already at the every-day intimacy stage.

I might be proven completely wrong as the season progresses, but that's my feeling at the moment.

Or, like I read people say before, it might very well be that things are happening out of order with them, instead of the typical: meet -> kiss -> sex -> love -> companionship -> marriage -> children thing, we've had them talk about having a child within 4 months of meeting each other, be in a committed relationship whilst barely holding hands, now having a level of physical intimacy that is expected of a long-term relationship. 

• Like 1

I think that when Sheldon eventually gets turned on, it will come through something intellectual first, that then somehow will translate into the emotional, and then finally into the physical.

He obviously doesn't get turned on by the simple sight of a naked female body, I think especially, as bostrich has been pointing out, in the context of this situation.

Sheldon simply doesn't think or react along the same lines as any other guy.  It's science and the universe and things like that that turn him on for now.

I think that he's making significant strides in simply understanding what it means to be a boyfriend, but also allowing himself to admit that he cares about Amy and her well-being.  I also think that the writers are very aware of how slowly they're working with Sheldon and Amy.  It's always funnier for one person, especially someone like Sheldon, to be completely oblivious to the reactions of the other person.  They even did it with Leonard and Alex when she was trying to hit on him at the cafeteria and later in her text message.

I think the intellectual part(most of the season 4 episodes) and emotional part (wheaton-amy episode) are done and dusted . The only thing left is the physical stuff which the writers are clearly trying to shift their focus on.

But eventually when they do the dance with no pants  he has to be aroused by her physically also.... So my only issue is what will make it any different from the present scenario... 

So I just hope they don't go too overboard to a point from where him being physically aroused by her does'nt feel reasonable.....I would be more than happy to see Sheldon confessing in a future episode that he felt something different when he did all these things for her....

Edited by vasu

While I agree that no normal, straight, male could, I think Shrldon is an exception to that rule.  I believe Sheldon will remain completely oblivious.

He is not obliviious he just pretends to be,but we all know he read that book Leonard and penny gave him.  He knows more about sex than he lets on.

@ Lexi, I never said Sheldon couldn't lie, I wanted a reasonable justification for why he would in this circumstance. As best I can surmise, your justification is he's not ready to admit he has sexual urges to Amy just yet. Okay, fine. That's where we disagree. I think when he does have them, he will be surprised and it'll be pretty near impossible for him to hide from Amy. I think you are reading more into it than is really there (for now at least, the rest of S6 could play out very differently), but Sheldon is clearly developing feelings for her. I don't see that Jim Parsons did anything in the spanking scene then play Sheldon as absolutely innocent. We disagree, not a big deal.

Its fine that we disagree its definitely an interesting debate though and I get that some people dont' see it yet and others perhaps don't want to see it because its like letting go of that innocence oblivious SHeldon that people want to believe he is.  I am not just reading more into this I gave lots of evidence that is quite reasonable as to why he hides his true desires because of how he was raised, because of his counteracting desire to focus on himself only and feel superior.  Giving into his sexual desires would mean admitting he needs her in a brand new way and yes he will likely be surprised as will everyone when he finally comes out and admits how he's been feeling all along to Amy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't feeling them in this episode and previous episodes.  He's felt something for her since they first met its all in way Jim and Mayim play the roles.  Jim even said he loves the direction writers have been taken Shamy as slowly as it may be and he makes it very clear that he understands Sheldon's mind as it written on the page and plays it out that way.  Sheldon has more layers than people want to give him credit for thats all i'm saying.  But if people want to believe he is just oblivious and truly doesn't get sex or desire to spank Amy thats fine. 

But tell me this what was his reason for choosing not to look away from her bikini area last week when she invited him back to look?  He could have freaked out and looked away or got out of car if he didn't want to see it and has absolutely no desire to look at it.  the FACT that he even stayed in the car, looked and commented on shows he had interested in it.  He even said to her before he got in the car "color me intrigued."  he was interested to see it!  And he knows thats what she was going to show him cause she just told him she got it her bikini area exfoliated. 

Pretending that he is oblivious is great way for writers to make everyone more comfortable with Sheldon bring out his more physical and sexual side until they are ready to just have him come right out and admit his feeling. In the movie theater scene with Sheldon and Amy of this season Sheldon said that "when he has a feeling he KNOWS IT!"   That means he knows exactly how he feels about everything, in his life from hammerhead sharks, to hand holding and yes to his desires for Amy, he just doesn't tell everything he knows to everybody when he's not ready too.  Perfect example is when Leonard asked him to tell Raj whether or  zombies and vampires become zompires or not Sheldon asked for a cookie then said "Well I'm not just GIVING IT AWAY!"  That means his knowledge and inner thoughts are important to him and he doesn't just tell it to everyone at drop of hat he has to have a good reason to want to or a reward for doing it. 

The more Amy pleases him and rewards him even if its just by making him happy he will open up more and more to her that is perfectly reasonable justification for why Sheldon knows he wanted to spank Amy, but isn't going to just tell her that he does because he's not ready to reveal that part of himself with anyone yet.  Sexual repression is very deep with him, I'm sure Beverly Hofstatder would back me up on this too cause she knows all about it.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 2

It was okay, not as good as some of the others this season. The Howard and Bernadette's family scenes didn't do much for me, they were not that funny. It's just average sitcom stuff you can see anywhere. Penny was fantastic as always, that girl rocks.

I liked that Sheldon wanted to take care of Amy. His reading to her was the high point for me. Very sweet indeed. As for those who are suggesting Sheldon was aware of the sexual clues? Pfff! The guy is dead from the waist down. He bathes his own girlfriend and in no way wants to seduce her? It will take lightening bolt from the gods for Sheldon to ever spot the signals. I agree with Phantagrae, if/when he experiences arousal he has no reason to deny it. He might just be matter-of-fact about it, we shell see. So far...zippo. I don't blame Amy for wanting physical contact but the spanking was a bit daft IMO.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

But after this episode I can't see Sheldon worrying about germs with Amy or being reluctant to touch her, by holding her hand or cuddling her.

• Like 1

But after this episode I can't see Sheldon worrying about germs with Amy or being reluctant to touch her, by holding her hand or cuddling her.

Sheldon held Amy's hand when they walked up the road early in season 5. Touching her was never as much of a problem as it was with other people. They have also been weakening his germ phobia for a while now. The episode showed to me that he cares and wants to be a good boyfriend beyond the obvious convenience for himself.

Sheldon held Amy's hand when they walked up the road early in season 5. Touching her was never as much of a problem as it was with other people. They have also been weakening his germ phobia for a while now. The episode showed to me that he cares and wants to be a good boyfriend beyond the obvious convenience for himself.

I think the difference in this one is that yes, he never minded being touched by her, but he never touched her. Especially not when she's carrying germs and viruses. I do think that was a big step for him, consistent with the fact that they've been playing down his germ phobia. I think the writers were trying to put something behind them with this one, namely the aversion to physical contact and, like you said, the notion that he only does things because he feels obligated or to get something out of it, rather than because he cares for another person.

Its fine that we disagree its definitely an interesting debate though and I get that some people dont' see it yet and others perhaps don't want to see it because its like letting go of that innocence oblivious SHeldon that people want to believe he is. I am not just reading more into this I gave lots of evidence that is quite reasonable as to why he hides his true desires because of how he was raised, because of his counteracting desire to focus on himself only and feel superior. Giving into his sexual desires would mean admitting he needs her in a brand new way and yes he will likely be surprised as will everyone when he finally comes out and admits how he's been feeling all along to Amy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't feeling them in this episode and previous episodes. He's felt something for her since they first met its all in way Jim and Mayim play the roles. Jim even said he loves the direction writers have been taken Shamy as slowly as it may be and he makes it very clear that he understands Sheldon's mind as it written on the page and plays it out that way. Sheldon has more layers than people want to give him credit for thats all i'm saying. But if people want to believe he is just oblivious and truly doesn't get sex or desire to spank Amy thats fine. But tell me this what was his reason for choosing not to look away from her bikini area last week when she invited him back to look? He could have freaked out and looked away or got out of car if he didn't want to see it and has absolutely no desire to look at it. the FACT that he even stayed in the car, looked and commented on shows he had interested in it. He even said to her before he got in the car "color me intrigued." he was interested to see it! And he knows thats what she was going to show him cause she just told him she got it her bikini area exfoliated. Pretending that he is oblivious is great way for writers to make everyone more comfortable with Sheldon bring out his more physical and sexual side until they are ready to just have him come right out and admit his feeling. In the movie theater scene with Sheldon and Amy of this season Sheldon said that "when he has a feeling he KNOWS IT!" That means he knows exactly how he feels about everything, in his life from hammerhead sharks, to hand holding and yes to his desires for Amy, he just doesn't tell everything he knows to everybody when he's not ready too. Perfect example is when Leonard asked him to tell Raj whether or zombies and vampires become zompires or not Sheldon asked for a cookie then said "Well I'm not just GIVING IT AWAY!" That means his knowledge and inner thoughts are important to him and he doesn't just tell it to everyone at drop of hat he has to have a good reason to want to or a reward for doing it. The more Amy pleases him and rewards him even if its just by making him happy he will open up more and more to her that is perfectly reasonable justification for why Sheldon knows he wanted to spank Amy, but isn't going to just tell her that he does because he's not ready to reveal that part of himself with anyone yet. Sexual repression is very deep with him, I'm sure Beverly Hofstatder would back me up on this too cause she knows all about it.

I think you are directing the criticisms that a lot of people have about the lack of potential for Sheldon in a sexual relationship towards me (e.g. he's asexual, not interested in Amy, a germophobe, frightened of sex, knows nothing about sex, would run screaming from Amy's vagina etc) when I haven't professed to having any of those opinions. The only argument I have now made repeatedly is that I believe Sheldon gets sexual innuendo when the context of the conversation or the interaction is clearly labelled as sexual. (His own recent comments and Alien parasite fall into this). When the context isn't clear, he just doesn't get it. This has happened several times before last night's show. The best example I can think that displays his sexual naivety is Sheldon believing the dead hooker actress was bouncing on the bed upstairs.

You have the theory that Sheldon wasn't oblivious and got some kind of sexual gratification from spanking Amy, but chose to hide it because he is a "kinky sob" but yet apparently in denial because of some religious-based sexual repression from his childhood. My theory is a lot simpler. I see him acting oblivious, I assume he is oblivious to the sexual component that Amy got out of it. My simple explanation of context explains Sheldon's behavior to my mind perfectly well. I have my opinion, you are welcome to yours, just don't expect everyone to agree with what is (in my opinion) a pretty far fetched idea. I don't think this discussion can go much further and it's probably boring everyone else. I'm out. :)

Edited by bostrich
  • Like 4

Does anyone else think it is ironic that Mayim Bialik is an outspoken proponent of attachment parenting, and condemns spanking as demeaning and counterproductive to forming healthy emotional attachments? I guess it must be OK as long as you have sex with the person you just spanked.

I liked Amy Farrah Fowler when she first appeared on Big Bang as a female Sheldon--just as socially clueless but sometimes wise. Over the episodes, she has just gotten pathetic. I cringe every time she fawns over Penny (who I think is great) with her "gotta wanna be the popular girl's bestie or I just don't matter at all" desperation.

And now her relationship with Sheldon has just gotten too painful to watch. She is so hungry for his approval and attention, and he is obviously incapable of giving her the emotional connection she wants and deserves.  I liked them much better as a couple when they both just lived up in their heads. This spanking episode was supposed to be funny, but I thought it just showed how desperate Amy has become for any physical affection from Sheldon.

I think you are directing the criticisms that a lot of people have about the lack of potential for Sheldon in a sexual relationship towards me (e.g. he's asexual, not interested in Amy, a germophobe, frightened of sex, knows nothing about sex, would run screaming from Amy's vagina etc) when I haven't professed to having any of those opinions. The only argument I have now made repeatedly is that I believe Sheldon gets sexual innuendo when the context of the conversation or the interaction is clearly labelled as sexual. (His own recent comments and Alien parasite fall into this). When the context isn't clear, he just doesn't get it. This has happened several times before last night's show. The best example I can think that displays his sexual naivety is Sheldon believing the dead hooker actress was bouncing on the bed upstairs.

You have the theory that Sheldon wasn't oblivious and got some kind of sexual gratification from spanking Amy, but chose to hide it because he is a "kinky sob" but yet apparently in denial because of some religious-based sexual repression from his childhood. My theory is a lot simpler. I see him acting oblivious, I assume he is oblivious to the sexual component that Amy got out of it. My simple explanation of context explains Sheldon's behavior to my mind perfectly well. I have my opinion, you are welcome to yours, just don't expect everyone to agree with what is (in my opinion) a pretty far fetched idea. I don't think this discussion can go much further and it's probably boring everyone else. I'm out. :)

I can't like this enough. Sheldon is not faking anything! He's always had a blind spot for reading human emotion, sarcasm and the like. I knew there would come a time when Amy might use this to her advantage. But it was done in a good way and not overly exploitative. Bernadette pointed out that it was wrong to mislead him but who can blame her? She can't even squeeze a kiss out of the guy.

Not a stand out episode for me though. Sheldon and Amy stuff was okay but Penny's one liners was the only saving grace in the rest of it. The weakest of the season so far. But there's been some really great ones, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

Just read this on the site, not the most popular episode and there were promos out. Interesting.

"The Fish Guts Displacement" was watched by 16.94 million people, down from 17.25m last week. In the important adults 18-49 demographic, The Big Bang Theory scored a 5.2/16 rating, down three nothces from the previous episode's 5.5/16. The Big Bang Theory ranked as the night's #1 program in viewers, households, adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and adults 18-34.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1759/Episode-610-Ratings/

ITA. Occam's razor. Saying the writers are trying to get the message across that he knows what's going on and not only is suppressing it, but he is actually some kind of a horndog, is a bit of a stretch. Actually, it's a pretty big stretch. The simplest explanation is that they intend for us to see that he just doesn't get it yet. It is true that all the times he gets sexual innuendos or talks about sex are either when he brings it up (the chicken pecking, Spiderman having sex with the spider, etc) or it's blatantly obvious. When Raj and Penny walked out of Leonard's room at the end of S4 and said "It's not what it looks like", he was like "What does it look like??". This is also a man who apparently fantasizes about pale hunched shoulders and dandruff, found playing Star Trek doctor 'titillating' (for lack of a better word) and gets turned on by looking at the universe naked. Again, he's not going to be suddenly aroused by cliche' circumstances. 

I think JIm Parsons said it best when he said that his "special lady" needs to whack him on the head with a frying pan and tell him "You're attracted to me", before he realizes what's going on. So, in hindsight, this episode makes complete sense. His reactions in this episode made total sense. We have a man who up until a few months ago was completely terrified of germs and any form of human contact. To have him go from that to suddenly being turned on by touching his sick girlfriend would be rather absurd. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 3

It is true that all the times he gets sexual innuendos or talks about sex are either when he brings it up (the chicken pecking, Spiderman having sex with the spider, etc) or it's blatantly obvious. When Raj and Penny walked out of Leonard's room at the end of S4 and said "It's not what it looks like", he was like "What does it look like??".

I don't know if this point was brought up before or not...but in the S4 finale Sheldon says "What does it looks like"??

But in the S5 premier..his actions(the entire detective scene) clearly implied that he understood that Raj and Penny had coitus..and based on Leonard's reaction its quite clear that no one told him what happened... So I don't understand which side of Sheldon should I accept in this case.....or is it a lame case of error in continuity by the writers....??? 

I think JIm Parsons said it best when he said that his "special lady" needs to whack him on the head with a frying pan and tell him "You're attracted to me", before he realizes what's going on. So, in hindsight, this episode makes complete sense. His reactions in this episode made total sense. We have a man who up until a few months ago was completely terrified of germs and any form of human contact. To have him go from that to suddenly being turned on by touching his sick girlfriend would be rather absurd. 

When in a future episode where Sheldon finally finally gets aroused by Amy...I wonder what will cause that arousal... What things are left in the writers armoury.  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:

Amy's intelligence ... Check

Fear of Amy leaving him... Check

Being physically close to Amy... Check

After all these things he is still not physically aroused by her...So I am tad bit confused about what is going.....because I don't understand what are the things left or the things that Sheldon does'nt know about Amy that could arouse him......or even if they use the above mentioned points how will they be different the next time

Edited by vasu

I don't know if this point was brought up before or not...but in the S4 finale Sheldon says "What does it looks like"??

But in the S5 premier..his actions(the entire detective scene) clearly implied that he understood that Raj and Penny had coitus..and based on Leonard's reaction its quite clear that no one told him what happened... So I don't understand which side of Sheldon should I accept in this case.....or is it a lame case of error in continuity by the writers....??? 

When in a future episode where Sheldon finally finally gets aroused by Amy...I wonder what will cause that arousal... What things are left in the writers armoury.  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:

Amy's intelligence ... Check

Fear of Amy leaving him... Check

Being physically close to Amy... Check

After all these things he is still not physically aroused by her...So I am tad bit confused about what is going.....because I don't understand what are the things left or the things that Sheldon does'nt know about Amy that could arouse him......or even if they use the above mentioned points how will they be different the next time

As I said before, this is, in a way, similar to the parasite hypothesis episode, where Amy was not aroused by holding his hand. Doesn't mean anything for future eps. I do think when it happens it will be something completely random or unexpected. And it might very well be combined with one of those three you mention, but portrayed in a different light. I'm going to dip into my X-Files bag of quotes here, there was an ep where Scully said "One day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere." She was talking about love rather than sex in that one, but I think it's very fitting nonetheless.

Again, with the handholding in TAPH, Amy did not feel anything, fast forward two years and she's getting all flustered by having Sheldon touch two fingers to her chest. I'm not even sure the writers are trying to make a specific point about him being turned on by something or not, they just don't feel like it's the time yet to go down that road and therefore are playing around it, because playing with his naivety is funny. I also think they try to gauge the audience's reactions to certain things by taking baby steps, having had him go from mysophobic to sexually aroused in the span of half a season could have alienated a lot of people who would say it's OOC. By laying the groundwork of him being comfortable with touching and germs, when it does happen nobody can say it's out of the blue and OOC.

As bostrich and other said before, he doesn't get sex unless it's spelled out for him and/or brought up by him, so he wouldn't make the connection between caring for his sick girlfriend and sex. And, to be honest, only the bath scene could be a legitimate scene for this discussion, and we didn't get to see what happened. Also, the next time he was back at hers after the bath, he was already angry at her for lying, so whatever might or might not have happened with that bath, would not have mattered much at that stage. Let's face it, the Vaporub scene was deliberately shot to be unsexy, that was the whole point of the scene: they had Amy look at her worst, the whole fact that she was trying to make herself look better for the occasion was meant to be hilarious precisely for that reason, he barely touches two fingers to her upper chest... The point of that scene, and the reason it's funny, is that Amy gets so little out of him that even something like this equals having sex for her. 

I think people are reading far too much into this whole thing. The bottom line is: it's early to have Sheldon and Amy have sex. If Sheldon is shown being aroused, they have to have them do it because there is literally nothing standing in the way. The writers need to find a way to keep inching them forward without alienating the audience and dragging it out as much as they can because that's the appeal of the couple. And it's a sitcom. In this simple context, this episode makes perfect sense.

As for Sheldon in the S5 premiere, I always had the impression someone must have told him something (Amy maybe?) or he did eventually connect the dots on his own, that's perfectly reasonable. Just because he doesn't get it right away it doesn't mean he never does. Especially since I suspect Raj and Penny sleeping together would have been quite the topic of conversation between the S4 finale and the S5 premiere. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

Just read this on the site, not the most popular episode and there were promos out. Interesting.

"The Fish Guts Displacement" was watched by 16.94 million people, down from 17.25m last week. In the important adults 18-49 demographic, The Big Bang Theory scored a 5.2/16 rating, down three nothces from the previous episode's 5.5/16. The Big Bang Theory ranked as the night's #1 program in viewers, households, adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and adults 18-34.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1759/Episode-610-Ratings/

You are discounting that football pre-empted TBBT in MANY markets.....Denver etc. 

You are discounting that football pre-empted TBBT in MANY markets.....Denver etc. 
Just an F.YI. There is a NFL game on nationally each and every Thursday. Why should that have anything to do with comparing ratings from 1 week to other weeks? Although IMO this episode was cute, it wasn't all that funny. The fish gutting with Penny and the boys was the most humorous and that wasn't all that funny. The rest of the show was strained to get a laugh. It wasn't one of there better episodes of the year IMO. Having said that I thought the serious interaction between Howard and Mike was fantastic. Simon really is an excellent actor.