The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.10 The Fish Guts Displacement (Dec. 6)

Your Episode Rating  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Yep Sheldon is Sheldon.  His mother use to bath him and rub his chest with vapor rub and his father use to spank him and his brother so he chose to do these things to Amy because that is what he has experienced before.  I totally agree with that.  Thats why I said this all ties into his childhood and upbringing growing up.   But he also Enjoyed having his mother sing to him when he's sick so he can sleep better, and bath him which he even asked Penny to do for him once because his mother use to do it and Mary rubbed his chest which he also liked her to do because it helps get rid of congestion and he made her do all those things for him again when he got sick during her visit.  

So Sheldon enjoys those things whenever he is sick because he believes it helps make you well and he was willing to do them all for Amy so she would get better as soon as possible.  :) I think thats really very sweet of him and shows some nice growth in his character that he is willing to do these type of things for her when at first he was just going to walk away.  He said he cares about her well being so that means a lot.   And he enjoys punishing those who do him wrong, he got great pleasure out of getting revenge on Wil Wheaton and on Howard when he stole his parking space, so I still stand by my position that means he was also enjoying spanking Amy because she lied to him.   Enjoyment whether its sexual in nature or not is still ENJOYMENT.  Its as simple as that.  But, if and when he chooses to express his sexual urges for her through physical contact like how he admitted to fantasing about fondling her slightly hunched shoulder then I think there will be no denying what he feels then.

I agree with this. One thing people here don't take into account is the limits on character change imposed by the sitcom format.  If Sheldon makes a major change in his personality it could mess up the show. For example in 5-18 'the werewolf transformation' Sheldon realized he doesn't need to control the world, but next episode no change. The main problem with this is that if a show remains popular long enough an actor could become bored doing his character and want out. I think that's why Charlie Sheen 'melted down' on Two and A Half Men'. After several years of playing the "playboy" Charlie was in a commited relationship and had a chance to do something new. Instead they had him break-up and turn into a depressed drunk (the way Penny was acting, but much more so). The show was becoming boring (to me at least). But the show was still popular enough to continue to make loads of money for CBS and the producers so they didn't want to change. Buy-Buy Charlie!! Lets hope BBT has more flexabality.

I agree with this. One thing people here don't take into account is the limits on character change imposed by the sitcom format.  If Sheldon makes a major change in his personality it could mess up the show. For example in 5-18 'the werewolf transformation' Sheldon realized he doesn't need to control the world, but next episode no change. The main problem with this is that if a show remains popular long enough an actor could become bored doing his character and want out. I think that's why Charlie Sheen 'melted down' on Two and A Half Men'. After several years of playing the "playboy" Charlie was in a commited relationship and had a chance to do something new. Instead they had him break-up and turn into a depressed drunk (the way Penny was acting, but much more so). The show was becoming boring (to me at least). But the show was still popular enough to continue to make loads of money for CBS and the producers so they didn't want to change. Buy-Buy Charlie!! Lets hope BBT has more flexabality.

I'm not sure flexibility on that front is the answer. This argument ignores the one thing none of us want to talk about. All good things must come to an end. All great sitcoms must close eventually. :( It's how they go out that really counts.

I know the actors will grow tired of playing the same character, no matter what challenges are thrown at them. It's only natural and Jim has already said he can not imagine playing Sheldon at 50. I believe he means to get out way before this. Most of us will find it hard to let go, but TBBT will close one sad day. And I'd rather not see it brutalised in an attempt to string it out beyond it's sale by date, as we so often see with American sitcoms. I want it to go out with a BANG, on a complete high. :excl:

• Like 2

When in a future episode where Sheldon finally finally gets aroused by Amy...I wonder what will cause that arousal... What things are left in the writers armoury.  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:

Amy's intelligence ... Check

Fear of Amy leaving him... Check

Being physically close to Amy... Check

After all these things he is still not physically aroused by her...So I am tad bit confused about what is going.....because I don't understand what are the things left or the things that Sheldon does'nt know about Amy that could arouse him......or even if they use the above mentioned points how will they be different the next time

Maybe it is more simple. Once Sheldon´s mother said he is like a wild animal and we need to act in consequence for making him more confident with others. You know, slow and with patient, not jumping on him otherwise he will run...

Maybe this is the way the writers are planning to make him to arouse by Amy : not as a suddenly physical irrational feeling but a feeling coming slow into his heart/body.

• Like 4

@spook

Haha, busted! I hadn't thought about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if almost coitus now happens too. And fanfic? Yes, please. I wanna read.

Edited by bostrich

I hope "IT" will not happen to soon. I want to further see this development and the fun being involved in that. BUT I defintivly want it to happen. And I trust the writers that the path until then will be stoney, hilarious and sometimes probably a bit spooky and wierd. :icon_eek: 

Interesting, the episode showed massive emotional growth for Sheldon: putting another's, his girlfriend's, needs above his own selfish desires, his open admission of his concern and regard for Amy.

And Amy in return: lies to him and then takes  advantage to get off sexually. I think that's the source of people's discomfort with the spanking scene - that it wasn't consensual. Amy hilariously shows she's excited by the prospect of the spanking but Sheldon is oblivious (and the writers and editors made sure of that as in the taping report the idea was that both were into it). So Amy shows legitimate frustration  but her character never speaks up instead she manipulates and takes advantage of his innocence.

That's neither romantic nor loving, it's uncomfortable. But it was deeply funny.

Interesting, the episode showed massive emotional growth for Sheldon: putting another's, his girlfriend's, needs above his own selfish desires, his open admission of his concern and regard for Amy.

And Amy in return: lies to him and then takes  advantage to get off sexually. I think that's the source of people's discomfort with the spanking scene - that it wasn't consensual. Amy hilariously shows she's excited by the prospect of the spanking but Sheldon is oblivious (and the writers and editors made sure of that as in the taping report the idea was that both were into it). So Amy shows legitimate frustration  but her character never speaks up instead she manipulates and takes advantage of his innocence.

That's neither romantic nor loving, it's uncomfortable. But it was deeply funny.

The spanking scene was a stretch for Amy and TBBT. But this is a Chuck Lorre controlled sitcom and like Two and a Half Men, Lorre likes to test the limits of network TV. Lorre has gone on record as being in love with the Shamy and you can see he is going to use Sheldon and Amy to explore  sexually provocative situation while safely using Sheldon's innocence as cover.

If this had been Leonard and Penny there would have been an uproar about going into forbidden territory especially for a show on at 8:00PM EST. There would have been no doubt about L/P intent in the spanking, S-M. By using Sheldon as the spanker, it was ambiguous as to the intent, he certainly did not think of it as kinky, though Amy most definitely knew but eagerly consented to it.

Lorre is a salacious genius.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

Oh I agree, the writers went for the joke over character development and it was extremely funny. I think that using Sheldon indeed was genius but at the same time left people feeling uncomfortable, not knowing why. Unfortunately it leaves Amy, flashing Sheldon last week and now engaging in a BDSM scene as deeply creepy and manipulative. But hey it's a sitcom. I'm probably over analyzing :icon_razz:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Oh I agree, the writers went for the joke over character development and it was extremely funny. I think that using Sheldon indeed was genius but at the same time left people feeling uncomfortable, not knowing why. Unfortunately it leaves Amy, flashing Sheldon last week and now engaging in a BDSM scene as deeply creepy and manipulative. But hey it's a sitcom. I'm probably over analyzing :icon_razz:

Well, Sheldon found out she lied and he forgave her. As he said she was a victim of human weakness, she did not kill a man. So I don't see what all the accusations against her are. Yeah, she's not perfect, so what? none of these characters are. And Sheldon forgave her, so, what does it have to do with you?. She lied to him, and he forgave her pretty quicly, because he cares about her. She's not "manupulating" him for forcing him to do anything. But whateaver, I guess I'm watching a different show.  Also BDSM scene? don't you think it's a bit too much?

What do you mean it wasn't consensual? Whatever pleasure Amy may have received from anything, she wasn't forcing Sheldon to do anything. He suggested or offered everything he did. Whether or not she got any unintended pleasure out of it doesn't have anything to do with concent.

His administration of the spanking was sexually neutral, or nonsexual. It was no more sexual than the spankings his father would have given him or his brother or sister.

The humor in the episode is derived from the dichotomy of their differing attitudes toward everything that happens while he's caring for her.

Nothing more, really.

As others have pointed out, the important part of the episode is that Sheldon was able to express his care for Amy and also to express the emotional aspects of his disappointment in her behavior as well as his understanding of what their relationship is based on.

Well, Sheldon found out she lied and he forgave her. As he said she was a victim of human weakness, she did not kill a man. So I don't see what all the accusations against her are. Yeah, she's not perfect, so what? none of these characters are. And Sheldon forgave her, so, what does it have to do with you?. She lied to him, and he forgave her pretty quicly, because he cares about her. She's not "manupulating" him for forcing him to do anything. But whateaver, I guess I'm watching a different show.  Also BDSM scene? don't you think it's a bit too much?

I agree. And it's not as if Sheldon has never done things that hurt or disappoint her.

What is great about their relationship is that he is learning what it means to think about someone other than himself. Though he has been learning this little by little over the years as he interacts with his friends, he is somewhat less motivated with them than with her.

I still love the end of the Vacation episode when he comes back to her lab and has to offer her a real apology and finally is able to. To me that little "I'm sorry" is pure gold.

So the shoe is kind of on the other foot in this case as Amy is the one having to apologize and Sheldon is ready to forgive her, even if he feels it warrants a penalty. And remember that his first choice wasn't the spanking--it was locking her in stocks in the public square. :)

Yeah, I'd be really surprised if he isn't, he has been moving at light speed recently. I'm not as patient as Amy, so I will be well fed up if he hasn't at least showed that he is interested in kissing her by 7.10. I'm a big fan of the almost-kiss, so I would love it if he shows some intent to kiss her and it goes awkwardly and hilariously awry. Sheldon still owes Amy some romantic physical affection that he was supposed to give her on the anniversary date. Penny completed her ILY challenge, Sheldon's turn to step up.

This reminds me of a moment between me and a close friend (he's a boy, he's my friend, he's not my "boyfriend"...)

We get to see each other only rarely as he has worked overseas for the past twenty years.

Anyway, we were a little sad on this particular night because he was looking into a job where there was a chance we would never see each other again.

So we were sitting in his car with the motor running, saying our goodbyes and he leaned over to give me a hug.

It was a nice quiet, sweet moment, until he accidentally put his foot on the gas and scared the crap out of us both as the engine revved.

Totally killed the moment and made us laugh at the same time. :p

I could totally see Sheldon and Amy in a similar situation where they're about to kiss and something funny happens. :)

When I re-watched this episode I Iiked the Amy/Sheldon scenes even more than the first time. Fast forwarded the stuff with Bernadette's family. Its terrible. Even Howard's fine acting cant save it. The first time he met Bernadette's father was quite funny, This was just a less funny version of the same thing. Her mother was just awful. Ugh! If it wasn't for the important shamy moments I'd have downgrade this episode to 'bad'.

Edited by Moonbase

I'll repost The New York TImes article on spanking, it's indeed a fetish and BDSM if you enjoy it, which clearly the writers showed Amy did; she asked for more pain. I'm fine with the writers making Amy non-traditional in sexual matters, no judgement. But clearly Sheldon had no idea he was participating in a scene [you're not supposed to be enjoying this] and that's unethical and manipulative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/fashion/modern-love-a-spanking-fetish-is-not-revealed-easily.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Edited by annieogly

When I re-watched this episode I Iiked the Amy/Sheldon scenes even more than the first time. Fast forwarded the stuff with Bernadette's family. Its terrible. Even Howard's fine acting cant save it. The first time he met Bernadette's father was quite funny, This was just a less funny version of the same thing. Her mother was just awful. Ugh! If it wasn't for the important shamy moments I'd have downgrade this episode to 'bad'.

I really like Bernadette's mom, that one moment where she talks about the Gran Canyon just cracked me up. The actual scenes at dinner were pretty boring yes, but I loved the scenes with Penny teaching Howard how to fish. So overall the bad Howard scenes were only 2, really. I thought the last scene was kind of sweet, I wonder if they will expand on that and have him find a father figure in Mike. 

People were uncomfortable with the spanking scene?  I suspect that those who were upset with that scene are the same ones who want Sheldon and Amy to break up so that Sheldon can hook up with Penny.  I believe that if you want to find fault with a character and you look hard enough, you will find it.  I think that most people found the spanking scene funny, as it was intended.

I was against the spanking scene for ethical reasons, but ended up finding it hilarious.  So it seems BBT did its job well.

I really like Bernadette's mom, that one moment where she talks about the Gran Canyon just cracked me up. The actual scenes at dinner were pretty boring yes, but I loved the scenes with Penny teaching Howard how to fish. So overall the bad Howard scenes were only 2, really. I thought the last scene was kind of sweet, I wonder if they will expand on that and have him find a father figure in Mike. 

The only Rostenkowski scene I found to be static was when they were sitting on the couch waiting for dinner, BUT, I think it was meant to be excruciating, which it was.  Poor Howard is trying desperately to come up with conversation topics with no success, and, of course, the tedium is supposed to be the point.

I actually think the dinner scene went pretty quickly and served its purpose--Bernie and her mother ganged up on the guys to send them away together.

One quibble--if the Rostenkowskis are supposed to be Catholic, why didn't they cross themselves after praying?  Every Catholic I've ever known would have made the sign of the cross after that prayer.  Just saying. :)

But I really, really loved the last scene between Howard and Mike.  I almost teared up because it seemed to me that Mike really kind of finally had pity on Howard and understood that he was just trying to please him or whatever.  Letting him call him Mike was a big step of acceptance between them and Howard seemed genuinely touched.

I do hope that Mike becomes that father figure for Howard--but I wonder if Howard will start imitating Mike in some ways, driving Bernie crazy with it... Hmmm... :p

Edited by phantagrae

Well, well, well, isn't it convenient?

So, when it comes to shippers dreaming with a hookup with the blonde neighbor, Sheldon is "a grown up man and THE alpha male of the series", every time someone else points out the mother/son dynamic they usually share, but when it comes to Amy, he is so very "innocent" and almost a little kid being abused?

Let me remind you a couple things:

1. We had seen this little "innocent" man pimping his friend, preparing for him a package containing lubes, condoms and viagra, declaring his genitals are functional and aesthetically pleasing, enjoying a platonic yet sexually charged roleplay game, talking about sex between spiders and mimicking a fellatio..... "innocent", really?

2. We are not talking about a highly sexually experienced woman taking advantage of an underage teenage boy, we are talking about two adults, presumably both virgins and unexperienced in everything sexual, romantic and social (so, they are en equal grounds in that regard) who happen to be in a relationship. Got it?

Totally agree with Sursonica and Phantagrae, what on earth do you mean with "non-consensual"?

Were you too busy sobbing over your sinking ship (or better: never launched ship) to hear when both, Sheldon and Amy, agreed to perform the act?

And I guess chest-rubbing and assisted bathing are also so-very-hardcore, since Amy, "The Dominatrix" was so excited about them too. To appropiately qualify Amy as masochist or BDSM-enthusiast, you need to see her only or mainly getting pleasure out of pain or domination, she doesn' even have had proper sex yet!

In this case, her pleasure comes out more of the touch (soft or hard) of the man she loves and madly fancies than from pain.

And since you are that interested in educate us about spanking, BDSM and fetishes, you could also tell us that for the "dominant part", or the spanker, part of the pleasure comes precisely from the dominant position he/she is having at that precise moment, and from the submission the spanked part offers to him/her.

How can you be sure Sheldon, who is a control freak and is oftenly complaining about having to follow his girlfriend's orders. was not getting pleasure out of that same act, even if it was not of strictly sexual nature?

Did you also missed the fact that he could had stopped after realizing Amy was enjoying it, but he didn't, instead, spanked harder?

Look at his face:

tumblr_mep41spRFA1qasxjlo1_500.jpg

Is that the face of an innocent boy suffering abuse?

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 2

Look at his face:

tumblr_mep41spRFA1qasxjlo1_500.jpg

Is that the face of an innocent boy suffering abuse?

That is the face of man with a mission. A mission he intends on following through to the very end.

• Like 1

@ annie

I read the article about spanking and it seems to suggests that some people like being spanked in the same way that some people like their shoulders being massaged or their feet tickled. It's not necessarily always sexual. Nor it is about pain. I'm not into spanking but if I had a partner who liked it, I would do it. If they wanted to spank me, well that's a different matter and I wouldn't be into that. Amy wasn't spanking Sheldon. She does enjoy any contact he's willing to offer though. It was mildy exploitative, but not in a harmful way like you are suggesting. Amy wouldn't purposely do anything to harm Sheldon, she damn near worships the ground he walks on.

I love the scene when the guys were talking about the "series killings" and the theme songs Sheldon sang (TMNT, Inspector Gadget...), a classic moment of the 4 men reminiscent of the older seasons when they're just hanging out in Shenard's apartment and of course when they turned to Penny for help in Howard's fishing dilemma... 

Well, at the very least, the spanking scene should put to rest any talk about the show not having changed since the early seasons.

• Like 2