Death Needs To Visit Bbt

rmross

I'm playing catch up with the series; I finally finished season 5 last night. In the last episode Sheldon does something entirely unexpected and profound: He reaches out and holds Amy's hand.

To this point (though playing catch up, I've also been watching season 6), I've been a little uncomfortable with the direction that the show's creators have been taking Sheldon's character, them seeming to want to move him into the realm of physical intimacy albeit ever so slowly. I say "uncomfortable" because to my mind Sheldon is just such a unique character, perhaps the most unique character ever created in TV series history; in large part what makes him unique is his asexual nature, a pretty bold move on the creators' part. The question is whether they want to leave him asexual or attempt some growth on his part (e.g., that the lack of physical intimacy is an unhealthy state of being???). Though I would prefer that they just leave him asexual, it would seem that the creators have decided to attempt some sort of conversion. To my mind, the problem though is that they have boxed themselves into a corner; yes, they can get away with hand holding or even a hug but anything else is just too giant a leap for such a drastic change in Sheldon's character! That brings me back to the hand holding moment in the last episode of season 5: The move was made almost unconsciously on Sheldon's part, a gesture that seemed to come from some feeling of...what? empathy for Howard's life risking venture into space? If that is the case, that is just such a huge evolution for Sheldon's character and perhaps points the way out of the box that the show's creators have put themselves. In short, I think that the show should kill someone off. Now, hear me out on this! Every great TV sitcom has though few serious moments, including a death in the "family" (e.g., real family or extended family). In this case, the death would not only serve to elevate the profoundity (and importance) of the show but it would also serve as a key mechanism for Sheldon's growth as a character; that is, he would experience the most deep rooted human emotion, grief, a mode of being that then could perhaps be the pivot needed to propell him into alternative directions. But then who should be killed off? It would have to be someone who is very near and dear to Sheldon's heart, so that would eliminate most of the characters (sorry Howard, Bernadette, Raj, and Penny!), which leaves us with only Leonard, Amy...and his mother. They can't kill off Leonard for obvious reasons and they can't kill off Amy because we need Amy as the one person Sheldon will turn to for intimacy. That leaves his mother, and as much as I love her character and would hate to lose her, I think she is the right candidate for such a monumental show changing moment. Anyway, I had this epiphany and just had to get out there somewhere.... RR

I agree, Sheldon's uniqueness has a lot to do with his lack of sexual motivation. It's unusual to the extreme and has never been seen on TV before, that I can remember. Especially with a male character. So I am also quite uncomfortable with them changing this. I have read many suggestions here about how they might sexualise Shedlon, but nothing seems right. They have a very difficult task ahead.

As for killing of his mother, I very much doubt it will happen. We have met Mary and she's too adorable to do that. I have thought a couple of times that they could have his meemaw pass away of old age. We have never 'meet' this character, so she would be a far less dramatic choice. Not saying I think death is a good solution but it would have the desired effect on Sheldon and she must be old now.

Edited by Moonbase

I do think they will play the MeeMaw death card sooner or later. She must be quite old now. I've actually have had a few ideas about this in my head recently that I hope to write down at some point into a story. I don't think they'll ever kill off Mary. The other thing could be to have Amy endangered somewhat seriously. I think he would go completely bonkers if that were to happen. But it might be too much for a sitcom. I don't know how you would have one of your main character risk death and still have a funny episode about it.

It certainly would be interesting to see Sheldon's reaction to a close death... especially one who is as close to him as "meemaw.". That being said I'm not sure how they could go about doing that while still keeping the comedic value to it. Maybe if they do an hour long season finale or something

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Kill off Amy. Then the show can get back to the other characters. :icon_evil:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no

I mean, really, Amy is not going anywhere. I think is time that some people just really accept that once and for all. I get it, you don't like her. Move on.

• Like 2

How would a death scenario increase the profoundity of the show? As to importance; TBBT is the number one comedy on TV. How does it become more important.

I believe this is a flawed premise. Sheldon's father is dead. He has already experienced grief on a personal level. We only know of one living grandparent. The other three could also be dead.

Um, no. I don't like the idea of death PERIOD....let alone an idea for show. For Sheldon, all you have to do is have something happen to his entire comic book collection. LOL

Monique

What a great idea! ...although I'd relate to him on that one. There's something tragic about losing comics. :(

I agree with all the objections. All it takes to freak Sheldon out is have his hair grow a millimetre too long. So introducing death seems is a little unnecessary and doesn't fit our beloved comedy.

The thing is though, death is a natural and uncontrollable aspect of life and there is nothing, not even the great mind of sheldon cooper can do about. I think something like this (not saying death exactly but something) that is traumatic may have a real humbling effect on him and in the end may bring about the change i know that i have been hoping for in his character for sometime

You know I did spend a lot of time thinking a bout what it would be like if sheldon's MeeMaww died.Because we

have never actually in the show seen sheldon cry or react to any kind of family

tragedy. and it is not just any kind of family tragedy but the death of his MeeMaww.

24192262.jpg

Yes, death is a natural thing but a sitcom is not a natural life. Thats part of the reason I watch, it takes me away from reality. Sheldon has had plenty of humbling moments where we have seen him reduced him to a whimpering child. We haven't seen one for a while, apart from werewolf but he just went kind of bohemian in that. The thing about this character is his superiority complex is his only protection, without it he'd probably wind up in a rubber room somewhere. Still I think is meemaw, if they have a death, seems most likely. They won't kill of Wil Wheaton? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I would be inconsolable if they ended the series with a death. Some in particular I'd be more sad about.

I was making a joke, they won't kill a main character or even an occasional character. We have had a few people join up and suggest a death storyline, or a serious injury story. But it's not really the Big Bang Theory, is it? This show has a definate personality. One of the main reasons it is so popular is, the innocence it has. And I'm not just talking about Sheldon. All the characters are innocent. There's not a bad boy amongst them. They all did their homework, except Penny. They all do what their mums tell them. It part of the appeal, nerds being good ... and then the wild but nice, Penny.

Edited by Moonbase

That's an idea worth thinking about.. and one that has been done in a number of fan-fictions, especially Sheldon/Amy. Sheldon being inconsolable after losing his Mee maw and Amy taking care of him, and his opening out to her more than ever before in his moment of vulnerability.

But seriously, I don't think they could do it on the show. TBBT has this crucial touch of breezy light-heartedness mixed into every situation and every scenario; that breeziness can accommodate, at the most, references to the death of other characters we don't know in the past, but a death of someone like Mee maw in the present, which could leave Sheldon heartbroken, seems beyond the scope of the show's general atmosphere. I have no idea how they could make it even remotely comedic around such an incident.

I was making a joke, they won't kill a main character or even an occasional character. We have had a few people join up and suggest a death storyline, or a serious injury story. But it's not really the Big Bang Theory, is it? This show has a definate personality. One of the main reasons it is so popular is, the innocence it has. And I'm not just taking about Sheldon. All the characters are innocent. There's not a bad boy amongst them. They all did their homework, except Penny. They all do what their mums tell them. It part of the appeal, nerds being good ... and then the wild but nice, Penny.

I love this description.

The only way I could see that being included in the show is if there is only one or two scenes with Sheldon and the rest of the episode is actually devoted to the other characters and they just mention something in passing about how Sheldon's upset that his MeeMaw passed away. And use the scenes with Sheldon to really push his character growth. OR have it happen over the break, so that the season premiere mention that she has passed away over the summer and the ep is about Mary bringing him some stuff that she wanted him to keep or something.

But yes, it would be extremely challenging for a sitcom.

What 'growth' for Sheldon are people looking for? People comment on his unique personality and his quirkiness. Then, in the next breath they talk about he needs to become more normal. Normal Sheldon wouldn't be Sheldon at all.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2