Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

Men of Substance. Seems like a women's romance guide. :icon_wink:  What I meant by that is the writers over the years have had Penny's back story and displayed dating divided into two type of men. The first type were the dunderheads described by her Dad, guys who Penny felt were at least social peers for her and we can assume by her timeline had to be when she was a teen in Nebraska. Her father dismissed them all as hopelessly stupid and useless since like most fathers he would want his daughter to be with some one who could provide her with security. The second type are men like Mike in season 1 and David Underhill in season 2. They were men she immediately fell for and had careers and presumed sophistication. She describe Mike as sensitive and smart, macho, with the perfect body and the hair, and the money. David was a renowned Physicist who rode a motorcycle. These were men of at least material substance. Each treated Penny as a ride at Disneyland and left her crushed.

TPTB seem to use these in men in both groups to contrast what Penny has in Leonard. Leonard is opposite of both types of men and that is not all good. He is not confident or firm with her and treats her not like a partner but like a goddess. This does wonders for Penny's ego but it makes her have a unrealistic view of her self which is just what the writers want to show. Leonard may be too much of a balm for the scars other men have given her. Fortunately this is changing this season.

As for Leonard's desirability with other women, no need to go there. The writer's never seem to tire of having Leonard score with the most high profile collection of beauties. Leonard is almost James Bond. They contrast Leonard, I think unrealistically, with Penny's past partners to make him appear to be outrageous preferable to any man she has ever been with, this is not subtle at all. When they brought Alex out this season, she should have been holding a sign saying to Penny "Look what Leonard can have". :icon_biggrin:

A ride at Disneyland? Lordy. Not criticising your critique, just affected by the imagery and connotations. But true, she did say they sometimes only get to spin the teacups.

According to shenny fans. It's means Sheldon and Penny are going to get together in the future.

I'm dead serious. They are claiming that.

*LOL* you made my day with this :icon_lol:  Its so amusing to hear that people claming something that will never ever happen not before hell freezes over *LOL*

Back to toppic: Leonard was so proud of Penny *awwwwwwwwwww* Pennys play was really good. She´s a good actress! Hope she´ll get a good role someday in a national commerical or something.

Not really any L/P scenes in this new episode to discuss except for well Leonard complimenting Penny on her acting when they went to the play.   I think it would be cute to see Lenny doing some roleplaying together in the bedroom so Penny can show off more of her acting skills ;)

I glad they took a Lenny and Shamy timeout. It was great, but I needed a change a pace.  Not that I want them together as a couple or anything, but my favorite parts of the show are the Shenny one on one scenes.  Providing not one, but three scenes of them in one episode was awesome and as usual they were great.  Penny watching Sheldon open up and spreading his legs open / telling Penny to do the same was hysterical.  And Penny opening the door before Sheldon did his knocking thing was special. Quite touching how Penny knew right of the bat and offered to go back inside. 

Did anybody feel that the lines Penny delivered in the play were pretty symbolic of her relationship with Leonard? 

Big time. I really thought they choose those lines for that reason. A,S, and L complimenting Penny acting skills was a nice touch. Leonard looked so proud and happy. I also think they made a great decision to use an acting class play to rejuvenate Penny's acting career. Something big wouldn't be believable at this point.

Hallo My Fellow Lenny Fans! Over at The Shamy I've been organizing a Shamy Chat Schedule: Every Friday during the show: NOON PST & 6pm PST. Changing to every 1st Thursday of the month during the hiatus yet holding at the same times.

More about our Chats: Although I am not in the PST the characters on the show are at that is how I've been setting it up. (Sort of an -in-joke there! :p ) Our first chat is basically for those fans from around the world. And the second Chat is for the US fans.

Would The Lenny's like a weekly Chat as well? What days would suit you all? Would the same times work out on say a Monday or a Wednesday? Would you all want a chat during the hiatus as well? What about the second Thursday of the month then? Or the last? What are all of your thoughts?

Would prefer to have all of the Scheduled Chats on different days so if there is any issue with some of the fans for any reason we don't run into Conflict. The Lenny's seem all like really pleasant fans but I've found it it much better to think ahead, regardless. (Instead of remembering. :p )

Please let me know your thoughts in here. Quote this message and write out what you are thinking on the subject. Thank you!

Well I'm glad were starting to see career development for penny even if it is just a play.

Personally I was hoping she'd sort of move away from the acting route but progress is progress so I'm happy

I wonder if they are going to go anywhere with her acting? They could move her along in her acting career to increase her self worth so she will get over the feeling Leonard is too good for her. The could also use it as a source of conflict, if she starts getting famous or gets hit on by actors again.

I wonder if they are going to go anywhere with her acting? They could move her along in her acting career to increase her self worth so she will get over the feeling Leonard is too good for her. The could also use it as a source of conflict, if she starts getting famous or gets hit on by actors again.

I don't think they need to make her famous, but it would be great if she was getting some work. I hope they don't go for the jealousy angle again though.

The thought of giving Penny a career makes us think that it will cause problems with Leonard. This is because the writers have created a situation where Penny runs off when she gets a 'better' offer. This is something they need to address big time. They can't just keep her down to keep her with Leonard. They need to make us believe she can change.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

I don't think they need to make her famous, but it would be great if she was getting some work. I hope they don't go for the jealousy angle again though.

The thought of giving Penny a career makes us think that it will cause problems with Leonard. This is because the writers have created a situation where Penny runs off when she gets a 'better' offer. This is something they need to address big time. They can't just keep her down to keep her with Leonard. They need to make us believe she can change.

I'm not sure that she will run off for a "better offer". I'm inclined towards the "not worthy", in that she'd take a worse offer because she'd think that what's she deserved and that Leonard was too good for her. But I'm not sold on that either.

Maybe her Valentines day speech about happiness and fear of the inevitability of her marriage to Leonard points to her being able to imagine herself with him, but fearful of that being the end of her life as she had previously planned it.

She has struggled and sacrificed to become an actress. It is not a trivial choice.( And often subjectively devalued here as lacking utility - not always the appropriate metric). Marrying Leonard (or anyone) kills her dream, but she can't picture life without him. Ongoing dilemma.

So she doesn't have to change, she has to prioritise. Or work out the compromise. Or transcend somehow.

Edited by Llatasativargon

I'm not sure that she will run off for a "better offer". I'm inclined towards the "not worthy", in that she'd take a worse offer because she'd think that what's she deserved and that Leonard was too good for her. But I'm not sold on that either.

Maybe her Valentines day speech about happiness and fear of the inevitability of her marriage to Leonard points to her being able to imagine herself with him, but fearful of that being the end of her life as she had previously planned it.

She has struggled and sacrificed to become an actress. It is not a trivial choice.( And often subjectively devalued here as lacking utility - not always the appropriate metric). Marrying Leonard (or anyone) kills her dream, but she can't picture life without him. Ongoing dilemma.

So she doesn't have to change, she has to prioritise. Or work out the compromise. Or transcend somehow.

I don't know. I don't think the acting is a problem, Leonard would support her if they were married.

They have made Penny an unknown quantity over this commitment issue. She loves Leonard but she is holding on to something. Maybe it's her ex, Kurt. In the last episode, when she's reciting the play, she's talking about being let down and being young. Penny must have been 17 when she met Kurt. That's seriously young to be involved with someone like that. This could have been the clue... emotional damage.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

I don't know. I don't think the acting is a problem, Leonard would support her if they were married.

They have made Penny an unknown quantity over this commitment issue. She loves Leonard but she is holding on to something. Maybe it's her ex, Kurt. In the last episode, when she's reciting the play, she's talking about being let down and being young. Penny must have been 17 when she met Kurt. That's seriously young to be involved with someone like that. This could have been the clue... emotional damage.

Am now off to read a study guide to Williams for clues.

But there is a genuine conflict between a successful acting career and the conventional model of domesticity. All the scheduling issues you can imagine impact an actor and their family in a practical sense.

But melodrama is probably where TPTB are pointing. Who's going to pick up the kids from childcare is not a immediately a funny. And maybe Caltech has a crèche.

Edited by Llatasativargon
  • Like 1

Well I'm glad were starting to see career development for penny even if it is just a play.

Personally I was hoping she'd sort of move away from the acting route but progress is progress so I'm happy

Just a play? Sir, the play's the thing. That's how we got messrs parsons, galecki and hell berg to screen I think.

But they are creating options for Penny.

Leonard would have to support her and I guess clean the house and cook too. What exactly does Penny bring to the table here?

Leonard has take-out mostly, but she has cooked for him. He's had dinner at her apartment recently. But I don't think he cares about any of that anyway.

She has good qualities, it's not all non-commital angst. She's funny, warm and cute. She speaks her mind, is down to earth and has helped the other characters a lot. Whenever there's any issue Penny is often there to help with her sensible straight talking. She's helped the shamy loads. I'm not saying Leonard couldn't find someone more suitable, he probably could.

• Like 3

Leonard has take-out mostly, but she has cooked for him. He's had dinner at her apartment recently. But I don't think he cares about any of that anyway.

Snip.....

I'm not saying Leonard couldn't find someone more suitable, he probably could.

I've made the same points as you have, several times, all to no avail, as you can see. We all just have to accept that Kutra is an individual, who's opinion of Penny, based on their writings here, would seem to suggest that Penny would be better off trying to disprove the theory of gravity by stepping out of her apartment window. At least then, she would have not been "worthless", to use Kutra's phrase. Not to mention Kutra thinks she would be stupid enough, dumb enough, and ignorant enough to try.

• Like 5

She has good qualities, it's not all non-commital angst. She's funny, warm and cute. She speaks her mind, is down to earth and has helped the other characters a lot. Whenever there's any issue Penny is often there to help with her sensible straight talking. She's helped the shamy loads. I'm not saying Leonard couldn't find someone more suitable, he probably could.

Since I rarely post here and nobody knows who I am, I will just say I graduated from Caltech and believe that despite these being fictional characters, I may have some insights into how a person such as Leonard might view the world. I make no claims to understand someone like Penny. She seems like 3 or 4 different people, depending on the season.

Leonard won't be looking for anyone more suitable than Penny, and that goes far beyond Penny's good and/or bad qualities. To understand why, you have to understand how truly intelligent scientific minds think. In order to make discoveries in a field like physics, you have to appreciate the beauty and order in the universe. You have to be willing to see patterns and order in chaos that others have never seen. This isn't as easy as it sounds, because if these observations were obvious, they would already have been made.  There is always some reason why it doesn't appear to make sense on the surface and nobody else has considered it before.

It takes a great deal of perseverance to hold onto this thought, form a credible hypothesis, and continue to believe in the veracity of what you think even while the whole of your existence and that of your colleagues is predicated on disproving that exact thing that you believe to be true.  That is the scientific method at work. Not everyone has the ability to see it through to the bitter end, and some scientists hold on to discredited theories long after their sell by date. The true geniuses are both lucky and have exactly the right amount of confidence.

Leonard saw the symmetry of himself and Penny at first sight. He has already formed his hypothesis that he and Penny are meant to be together, and believes it with the same conviction any scientist making a discovery believes his ideas. Short of a catastrophe that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he is wrong, he will not waver from this, even if self doubt starts to creep in. In the end, he "knows" this is right because he saw the pattern and decided it was. That is how he approaches every problem in his life. professional and personal, and you can't expect him to deviate from that in this case. Whether he is a true genius and eventually proves to be right about her, or whether he wanted so hard to believe in the hypothesis that he destroys himself by hanging on long after he should have let go...that is for the writers to decide.

One way or the other though, Leonard has seen the correctness of a relationship between himself and Penny. There won't be any considerations of a more suitable mate unless Penny rejects him again. That would be akin to Leslie Winkle suddenly abandoning her belief in Loop Quantum Gravity for String Theory.

• Like 2

I've made the same points as you have, several times, all to no avail, as you can see. We all just have to accept that Kutra is an individual, who's opinion of Penny, based on their writings here, would seem to suggest that Penny would be better off trying to disprove the theory of gravity by stepping out of her apartment window. At least then, she would have not been "worthless", to use Kutra's phrase. Not to mention Kutra thinks she would be stupid enough, dumb enough, and ignorant enough to try.

Aah I see. I have a feeling that some fans take a negative view of Penny because they don't relate to her previous lifestyle. The drinking and the sex for example. These things don't effect me because it pretty much sums up everyone I know. :icon_lol::icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

The Penny character reminds me of a friend of mine.  Sometimes I want to shake my friend because of her bad decisions.  She drinks too much and always dated the wrong guys (until she married one of those wrong guys).  She dropped out of community college and can be a tad shallow at times.  Still, she's good-hearted and a loyal friend.  Any Leonard-type guy would be lucky to have her.  Penny being the way she is on the show doesn't bother me.  I'm just glad the writers are starting to show her outgrowing some of that.

• Like 2

Aah I see. I have a feeling that some fans take a negative view of Penny because they don't relate to her previous lifestyle. The drinking and the sex for example. These things don't effect me because it pretty much sums up everyone I know. :icon_lol::icon_mrgreen:

Naah, she can drink and screw ard all she wants,I do not care. I only care that she is a healthy female of nearly 30 who has no career or education. Someone like tht is a loser who must be avoided. 

Leonard can do much much much better,

So basically she cannot contribute anything substantial..warm and funny and talk is what she brings to the table,

Bernie brings education,career and money.Amy the same. Leonard really picked a loser did he not compared to his friends?

So basically she cannot contribute anything substantial..warm and funny and talk is what she brings to the table,

Bernie brings education,career and money.Amy the same. Leonard really picked a loser did he not compared to his friends?

Bernadette and Amy essentially fell from the heavens... Neither Howard nor Sheldon actually did any selecting.

Also, Leoanrd may like the fact if Penny goes beserk, she hasn't got the skill set to become a super villainess.

Penny is pretty, has a good heart, enjoys having sex with him and is really impressed by lasers. Leonard likes that. It is possible he isn't all that deep. 

• Like 2

It would have been a bit hard for Leonard to compare Penny to his friends girlfriends, seeing as he fell for Penny in the first episode, prior to Bernadette or Amy ever appearing.  And who was it that Howard needed to find Bernadette?   Oh, yeah, Penny.   And who is it that Amy leans on to guide her through her relationship problems with Sheldon?   Again, Penny.  And who is it that Sheldon has turned to to get insight into a woman's point of view with his relationship problems with Amy? Yep, Penny.   Imagine, all those highly educated people need to turn to the, according to you, uneducated Penny to get answers they don't have.   

Leonard's mother brought education, career, and money to her relationship.   She's a rather cold, distant, non-caring bitch.   But from your posts, you would seem to prefer a cold, distant, non-caring bitch, as long as she has education, career and money.   Leonard has the career and the money to support someone who can give him the warmth, caring, humor, and communication that he didn't get from his educated, career-minded, well-compensated bitch of a mother.  

you know i was preparing to say a lot of things reading through todays posts but i think you pretty much got it covered.  So I'll just quote it so it gets shown twice!

• Like 1

It would have been a bit hard for Leonard to compare Penny to his friends girlfriends, seeing as he fell for Penny in the first episode, prior to Bernadette or Amy ever appearing.  And who was it that Howard needed to find Bernadette?   Oh, yeah, Penny.   And who is it that Amy leans on to guide her through her relationship problems with Sheldon?   Again, Penny.  And who is it that Sheldon has turned to to get insight into a woman's point of view with his relationship problems with Amy? Yep, Penny.   Imagine, all those highly educated people need to turn to the, according to you, uneducated Penny to get answers they don't have.   

Leonard's mother brought education, career, and money to her relationship.   She's a rather cold, distant, non-caring bitch.   But from your posts, you would seem to prefer a cold, distant, non-caring bitch, as long as she has education, career and money.   Leonard has the career and the money to support someone who can give him the warmth, caring, humor, and communication that he didn't get from his educated, career-minded, well-compensated bitch of a mother.  

Ok Penny's major contribution to anything is talk...will talk get kids through college or will talk buy a house or will talk pay for vacations or will "warm" talk make up for intellectual conversations at home, will talk make food, will talk clean the house,etc etc.You know education.career and having a warm personality is pretty common among girls.Very common.

Penny is good as a friend for the others. As a partner for any of them she is not a good choice.She is simply not at their level.It is not high school.In high school the nerds are at the bottom of the social ladder while the cheerleader is on top.In adult life the ppl with the education,career and money are on top.

And Penny must be pretty thick skined to stay on as a friend in a group of people who are so educated and have such great careers when all she is is a waitress without a degree.

Edited by Kutra

Bernadette and Amy essentially fell from the heavens... Neither Howard nor Sheldon actually did any selecting.

Also, Leoanrd may like the fact if Penny goes beserk, she hasn't got the skill set to become a super villainess.

Penny is pretty, has a good heart, enjoys having sex with him and is really impressed by lasers. Leonard likes that. It is possible he isn't all that deep.

Tht is the only explanation for sticking with Penny.