Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

This was not a good episode, in my opinion. They tried to do too much, with three unconnected plot lines in three different locations. Penny looked dishelveled in her princess costume, but it seemed like the whole princess thing was not her gig. It made sense that she gave Leonard a funny look when he started undressing. She didn't look good or happy, and probably thought it was weird that he was turned on by the outfit. Bernadette looked adorable, but we saw the dark side in her pretty clearly too. Apart from Raj's plotline, which was cute, the episode had a dark, coarse feel to it. If this is suggesting a direction, I don't like it.

• Like 2

This was not a good episode, in my opinion. They tried to do too much, with three unconnected plot lines in three different locations. Penny looked dishelveled in her princess costume, but it seemed like the whole princess thing was not her gig. It made sense that she gave Leonard a funny look when he started undressing. She didn't look good or happy, and probably thought it was weird that he was turned on by the outfit. Bernadette looked adorable, but we saw the dark side in her pretty clearly too. Apart from Raj's plotline, which was cute, the episode had a dark, coarse feel to it. If this is suggesting a direction, I don't like it.

I'm uncomfortable with the cross-over. I think they had good intentions regarding an episode that promoted women in science, contrasting with stereotypes regarding disney princess and scheduling it for the week of International Women's Day.

Penny displayed an appropriate response to the sexualisation of children's fantasy characters. Leonard said something too about the sexism in the console games. So they maybe tried for balance. IDK.

I think the cocktail party ep coming will be more age appropriate. 

• Like 2

It really seemed that Penny was drinking again in this episode. The other girls looked better than her and her hair was a little bit of a mess. Also when Leonard at the end was obviously turned on by her she looked at him funny.

I dont think she was drinking, she was just not a disney princess. Was there a glass shown? I agree with someone else that she was bored - maybe there not a lot of time for Disney princesses on the farm with Wyatt and his Slugger. Tractor engine, junior rodeo etc.

Leonard was certainly not the grownup in this ep. Feet of clay-ish.

• Like 2

I didn't think Penny was drunk.  It seems that she was eating popcorn at the Disney park.  I don't really know the reason behind the dishevled look, but she never wanted to do princess makeover and she didn't get to be Cinderella either! 

I also thought it was weird and annoying when Leonard arrived at her apartment and when she turned around he had his pants down.  Penny clearly looked like she did not have a good day. Instead of having jump right into "my gf is hot let's have sex", he could have asked her what was wrong and sit down and talk about it.  Anyway, just my opinion.

• Like 1

I dont think she was drinking, she was just not a disney princess. Was there a glass shown? I agree with someone else that she was bored - maybe there not a lot of time for Disney princesses on the farm with Wyatt and his Slugger. Tractor engine, junior rodeo etc.

Leonard was certainly not the grownup in this ep. Feet of clay-ish.

Nope. She was definitely not drinking. As you and hamerman55 wrote, she was bored out of her mind. She wanted to go on the rides, poor girl. So she just sat down, ate snacks and played Sarcastic Princess. 

I didn't think she looked particularly dishevelled or messy. However she looked like she didn't give a flying toss about the whole Disney thing. I liked that she was eating while her friends were reapplying makeup and looking at themselves. It really was the return of Slugger. 

As for the last scene, it was a bit cheap, I concur. Yet, I am enough of a simpleton to giggle at a guy dropping his pants to his ankles then starting to remove his shirt without further ado. It's silly and inane but I do not think it is meant to be taken seriously in any way. The problem, if one there must be, is that Sleeping Beauty is not a very interesting Princess and her boyfriend is just as dull. The only thing vaguely interesting about her is that she is awakened by a kiss. But that's redundant with Snow White and the writers probably felt it would be funnier to leave it to Sheldon and Amy. There was not much mythology to draw from. Furthermore, Penny is just not into the whole Fairy Tale thing, contrarily to her friends. So the "crudeness" of Leonard's reaction was sort of fitting.  

And he was not being completely insensitive. He was listening to her story while undressing. Extra point for multitasking ;)

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 1

Penny was a mess.  And what guy drops his pants to his ankles, and leaves them there while he unbuttons his shirt?  I know it was just for laughs but I was already annoyed at Leonard's gig at the school so I just rolled my eyes.    

I agree. But I do agree with Chiara in regards to she really wasn't it to the Disney stuff so she really didn't care how she looked. Having a daughter (11) who doesn't like Disney like her friends do Penny's reaction was like her reaction would be.

• Like 3

I rewatched the Valentine episode, and am convinced that Penny and Leonard are safe as a couple. Penny lines stating that she will eventually say yes to one of Leonard's proposals and they will be together forever shows two things. First, that Penny has not only thought about her future with Leonard, which she didn't the first time around, but is sure she will accept his proposal and be married to him forever. Second, she's freaked out about it, since it is real. It is her first properly mature choice, and all that it means scares her, as it should. Leonard is not some guy to fool around with, but in spite of their differences, the man she plans on being married to forever.

Of course, other posters have listed reasons in support of the permanence of their relationship at this point in the show, but I was particularly struck by her words at this point. They were having a real, serious discussion, and laying their feelings bare. I'm happy with this. There will be some comedic bumps along the way (I hope), but no serious threat to the relationship.

• Like 3

I rewatched the Valentine episode, and am convinced that Penny and Leonard are safe as a couple. Penny lines stating that she will eventually say yes to one of Leonard's proposals and they will be together forever shows two things. First, that Penny has not only thought about her future with Leonard, which she didn't the first time around, but is sure she will accept his proposal and be married to him forever. Second, she's freaked out about it, since it is real. It is her first properly mature choice, and all that it means scares her, as it should. Leonard is not some guy to fool around with, but in spite of their differences, the man she plans on being married to forever.

Of course, other posters have listed reasons in support of the permanence of their relationship at this point in the show, but I was particularly struck by her words at this point. They were having a real, serious discussion, and laying their feelings bare. I'm happy with this. There will be some comedic bumps along the way (I hope), but no serious threat to the relationship.

Word.

Nope. She was definitely not drinking. As you and hamerman55 wrote, she was bored out of her mind. She wanted to go on the rides, poor girl. So she just sat down, ate snacks and played Sarcastic Princess. 

I didn't think she looked particularly dishevelled or messy. However she looked like she didn't give a flying toss about the whole Disney thing. I liked that she was eating while her friends were reapplying makeup and looking at themselves. It really was the return of Slugger. 

As for the last scene, it was a bit cheap, I concur. Yet, I am enough of a simpleton to giggle at a guy dropping his pants to his ankles then starting to remove his shirt without further ado. It's silly and inane but I do not think it is meant to be taken seriously in any way. The problem, if one there must be, is that Sleeping Beauty is not a very interesting Princess and her boyfriend is just as dull. The only thing vaguely interesting about her is that she is awakened by a kiss. But that's redundant with Snow White and the writers probably felt it would be funnier to leave it to Sheldon and Amy. There was not much mythology to draw from. Furthermore, Penny is just not into the whole Fairy Tale thing, contrarily to her friends. So the "crudeness" of Leonard's reaction was sort of fitting.  

And he was not being completely insensitive. He was listening to her story while undressing. Extra point for multitasking ;)

Am guy. He was listening to nothing.

• Like 1

Guys are visual. Remember Leonard's reaction to Penny wearing glasses in"The Egg Salad Equivalency"? He simply drug Penny to his bedroom. Since in this case they were in Penny's apartment, they didn't have to run off to the bedroom because they were worried about Sheldon walking in on them.

• Like 1

Re: Leonard dropping his pants and then working on the shirt - I personally think it would have been funnier if they had cut to him hopping on one leg as he tugged off his pants and shoes.  :)

• Like 1

Re: Leonard dropping his pants and then working on the shirt - I personally think it would have been funnier if they had cut to him hopping on one leg as he tugged off his pants and shoes.   :)

I agree!  One of the funniest scenes ever was Leonard trying to hop into his pants to escape the apartment when Sheldon was sick.

• Like 1

I didn't like how they had Sheldon upstage Leonard in maturity in that last episode. I mean, Sheldon got them all dragged into HR just a few episodes ago because he was so clueless. Now all of a sudden he can sense when Leonard's getting it wrong? Pfff.

• Like 1

I rewatched the Valentine episode, and am convinced that Penny and Leonard are safe as a couple. [...] There will be some comedic bumps along the way (I hope), but no serious threat to the relationship.

I could not agree more. This time, they are on the same page, relationship-wise, and I fail to see what could seriously damage this.

It is particularly striking when compared to their first attempt at being a couple : while Leonard was busy dreaming up a future for the two of them, Penny enjoyed what they had "carpe diem" style; while she did not really think of the nature of their feelings for each other, he was biding his time to say ILY; while he thought of her as the woman of his life, she thought of him as a fantastic guy in her life. It simply could not work out, ILY or not ILY. They needed to take some time apart, regroup and think about what they wanted. 

Now it is obvious they both expect the same thing from their couple : in spite of their very different styles (Leonard's emotional confidence and Penny's sentimental constipation), they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together. And they both know it.

I cannot get over the fact that Penny not only admitted she would end up saying yes if Leonard kept on proposing (the Valentine's episode), but a little while back she also confessed she thought of marrying him even when he was not asking her to (5.16 and the discussion about prenups). The only problem left is timing... and kids. That is the one big thing they have not discussed yet, to the best of my knowledge, and it matters quite a lot. Especially considering that Leonard has been holding that thought since the very day he met Penny. 

What they need to focus on now is not their relationship but themselves. Their couple is solid but they, as individuals, still have quite a few issues that need to be sorted out before they can go all the way. Neither of them requires a complete makeover, for what would they be if they lost all the crazy, however a couple of adjustments are indispensable. Basically, Penny needs a job she loves and Leonard needs to let go of his mother.

She needs the job so all her contentment, self-satisfaction and happiness do not stem solely from her boyfriend. I don't care if it's acting or anything else, though I have to say I would like to see her reach the goal she chose in the first place. She does not have to become an international movie star but a steady and well-received theatre career (since she appears to excel at it) would be great. 

As for Leakey, he has to stop seeking approval from people who will never give it to him and feeling inferior because of it. I doubt he will ever be completely "cured" of that : I believe he is doomed to rotate around tough, insular people who do not cuddle him. That is fine. But the extreme codependency, the "needing to be needed/exploited" has to go. The tenure storyline could be a step in that direction. It will allow him to go head-to-head with Sheldon, aka Beverly 2.0, and force him to assert his own worth. I neither expect nor wish for an overnight change but any incremental improvement is welcome. He has already started doing it; he is more assertive than he used to be.

Am guy. He was listening to nothing.

Did you really have to shatter my illusions ? ;)

Re: Leonard dropping his pants and then working on the shirt - I personally think it would have been funnier if they had cut to him hopping on one leg as he tugged off his pants and shoes.

Poor Mr. Galecki ! Is nothing sacred anymore ? :)

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 3

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Johnny. Considering the various quality of women who he's been able to hug, cuddle with, lay in bed with and kiss, during the run of the series, dropping his pants every so often would seem to be a small price to pay. ;)

• Like 3

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Johnny. Considering the various quality of women who he's been able to hug, cuddle with, lay in bed with and kiss, during the run of the series, dropping his pants every so often would seem to be a small price to pay. ;)

Well, when you put it like that... Galecki, pants off, now !  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

Considering that Johnny did the play Little Dog Laughed, where he had to be fully nude onstage, I'd say having to drop only his pants is going to be a piece of cake for him.

Considering that Johnny did the play Little Dog Laughed, where he had to be fully nude onstage, I'd say having to drop only his pants is going to be a piece of cake for him.

Yeah, Penny and Kaley have both seen him nude too.

Wow Leonard and Penny were great together tonight. They were very boyfriend and girlfriend in a relationship tonight. If the writers keep treating their characters like this, I'll be happy.

• Like 3

One thing that struck me recently regarding the multiple proposals (which we've never actually seen on screen) from Leonard to Penny. When Howard proposed to Bernadette, he had a ring and did it up right. In front of their friends, on his knee and awkward proposal. From appearances, Leonard's proposals haven't included a ring, and I really don't count the one where they were having sex. Penny made him wait for sex for four months, in the heat of the moment he could have said just about anything.

Having said that, Howard probably felt he had a pretty good shot at getting a yes, as Bernadette has been on board with a committed relationship all along. Leonard has until recently been very insecure about his relationship with Penny. I just thought it odd that it has been stated that Leonard proposes a lot in off-screen time, but there is actually no evidence of it on-screen, nor is a ring involved.

One thing that struck me recently regarding the multiple proposals (which we've never actually seen on screen) from Leonard to Penny. When Howard proposed to Bernadette, he had a ring and did it up right. In front of their friends, on his knee and awkward proposal. From appearances, Leonard's proposals haven't included a ring, and I really don't count the one where they were having sex. Penny made him wait for sex for four months, in the heat of the moment he could have said just about anything.

Having said that, Howard probably felt he had a pretty good shot at getting a yes, as Bernadette has been on board with a committed relationship all along. Leonard has until recently been very insecure about his relationship with Penny. I just thought it odd that it has been stated that Leonard proposes a lot in off-screen time, but there is actually no evidence of it on-screen, nor is a ring involved.

That is so true about the ring.  Leonard would have a ring, that is in his character, so I guess until we see a ring, any proposal is not going to be real.

We really don't know, since they were off screen. Perhaps they never got that far, like the proposal in the restaurant, Penny interrupted them before he brought out the ring. If they were spontaneous, he might not have had the ring with him (he probably doesn't carry it with him all the time just in case he wants to propose). On the other hand, he could have worn it on a chain around his neck because he wore out the box from opening and closing it so much.

Edited by eirwinrommel

I also haven't seen where Leonard has done some other traditional romantic things, like flowers and jewelry for birthdays. The VD dinner was the first example I can remember. He certainly spends money on here, but as she noted, it was nice to eat dinner at a table rather than takeout around the coffee table. He also covers her living expenses as needed, but no gifts for the romance ninja. No birthday or parties for Penny, or "empty financial gestures". I wonder if that is a legacy from his youth?

• Like 1