Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would have been a bit hard for Leonard to compare Penny to his friends girlfriends, seeing as he fell for Penny in the first episode, prior to Bernadette or Amy ever appearing.  And who was it that

I think you are right. Penny's problem with Leonard is that, in spite of the fact she's known him for six years, she's still getting used to him as her SO. There are two likely reasons. First, her exp

Before I start off let me just say that I understand that not everyone is a fan of the romantics that seem to be taking place more and more as the new season progresses. I'm get it, everyone has their

Yes - and the suite had strawberries, champagne, etc.  Poor Leonard!

I'm practical by nature, and if my boyfriend bought dinner and paid my cable bill when I was short of funds, I'd be happy to forgo candy and flowers!

• Like 1

Leonard has certainly done that, even when they weren't dating. The odd thing is that it sounds like he's the only guy that has done that for Penny. The previously guys mentioned either just took her out, or even borrowed substantial amounts of money from her. Although in finale for season 1, she did comment that the guys she'd been dating had looks, money and great hair. It just seems like the money was for exciting dates, rather than taking care of her living expenses. 

Leonard has certainly done that, even when they weren't dating. The odd thing is that it sounds like he's the only guy that has done that for Penny. The previously guys mentioned either just took her out, or even borrowed substantial amounts of money from her. Although in finale for season 1, she did comment that the guys she'd been dating had looks, money and great hair. It just seems like the money was for exciting dates, rather than taking care of her living expenses. 

At first it sort of seemed that Penny was a gold digger and just using Leonard, later Sheldon helped her too, so when she was not involved with Leonard, both Sheldon and Leonard were taking care of her like she was family. She eats there all the time, uses their wifi and at one time owed Leonard $1400.

One thing that struck me recently regarding the multiple proposals (which we've never actually seen on screen) from Leonard to Penny. When Howard proposed to Bernadette, he had a ring and did it up right. In front of their friends, on his knee and awkward proposal. From appearances, Leonard's proposals haven't included a ring, and I really don't count the one where they were having sex. Penny made him wait for sex for four months, in the heat of the moment he could have said just about anything.

Having said that, Howard probably felt he had a pretty good shot at getting a yes, as Bernadette has been on board with a committed relationship all along. Leonard has until recently been very insecure about his relationship with Penny. I just thought it odd that it has been stated that Leonard proposes a lot in off-screen time, but there is actually no evidence of it on-screen, nor is a ring involved.

I do not know whether "I know I propose a lot" was meant to be taken literally. It could definitely be taken to indicate Leonard has proposed offscreen on a couple of occasions; it could also be a reference to the two proposals we saw in which case the "a lot" is an allusion to the fact that, ideally, there should be no need for more than one of those. 

Either scenario is plausible.

The perpetual absence of an engagement ring is a good point. I believe it fits the main theme with Leonard's proposals, those we saw and those we can imagine took place offscreen, which is that they're spontaneous. Leonard genuinely wants to marry Penny but has a tendency to just go for it whenever he is really happy or senses she needs comfort (as in the VD episode). He does not plan anything. He just goes with the feeling. So no ring at the ready.

As for romantic gestures, you are quite right. Leonard is not big on them. That tells me Leonard is not a chocolate-and-flowers sort of guy. He tends not to plan romantic gestures (and when he does, they fail e.g. Valentine's Day dinner and Switzerland). He does not spend loads of money on those things. However, when he sees something he thinks will please Penny, he finds a way to get it for her. The perfect example of that was the snowflake. It was not explicitely intended as a romantic gesture; it was just a beautiful souvenir from a place he could not take her to. And it made Penny melt (ironically).

The least romantic Leonard tries to be, the more he is and the more Penny falls for him. 

It is a general trend with them. Leonard tries too hard to please and it makes Penny uncomfortable, pressured or irritated. Conversely whenever he stops double-checking himself and putting on a show, when he is just himself, she adores him all the more for it. The lab scene in 6.05 was a testament to that : Leonard got carried away with his science, talked about it in a passionate and compelling fashion thereby reminding Penny of why she fell in love with him in the first place. 

Moral of this story : play it cool, Hofstadter.

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 4

hello this is my first post here!!!

i don't know why i feel like this but in season six i think they are forced to have this relationship and it's like their chemistry is gone.

I agree that people are taking the "propose a lot" comment too literally.  I believe he was only referring to the two on-screen proposals that we have seen.

As far as romantic gestures, I think you can add the date to the shooting range to that list since that was romantic in penny's world... especially since he called her dad to figure it out.

It looked like Leonard like the leader in this group when all of them at H/B apartment from the yesterday episode and i like it. From my point of view that, when Leonard wear the suit or tuxedo, his character look like braver and showing more courage aura.

i don't know why i feel like this but in season six i think they are forced to have this relationship and it's like their chemistry is gone.

At one point in the beginning of season six, I was starting to think the same thing, but if you watch closely lately they are touching each other more when they talk, sit together and walk together, so I thing the chemistry is back.

I also haven't seen where Leonard has done some other traditional romantic things, like flowers and jewelry for birthdays. The VD dinner was the first example I can remember. He certainly spends money on here, but as she noted, it was nice to eat dinner at a table rather than takeout around the coffee table. He also covers her living expenses as needed, but no gifts for the romance ninja. No birthday or parties for Penny, or "empty financial gestures". I wonder if that is a legacy from his youth?

The odd thing about Leonard's love for Penny is we have not seen him give her gifts. Only the North Pole snowflake. We know he spends money on her food, entertainment and rent when needed but not gifts. He wanted to take her to Switzerland but that was on the university's dime, mainly. Sheldon has spent far more on Amy for gifts he has given (or not given) her.

I am positive that the writers have done this on purpose to avoid having Penny appear to be a gold digger. Logically you would think that Leonard would shower Penny with everything he has but they consciously avoid this.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

How do you define chemistry?

How do you define chemistry?

I define it as the way two actors perform and play off each other in a scene. L/P (Johnny/Kaley) have fantastic chemistry. These two are the reason I got attached to the show.

• Like 4

I define it as the way two actors perform and play off each other in a scene. L/P (Johnny/Kaley) have fantastic chemistry. These two are the reason I got attached to the show.

Amen, Carl1970.

Leonard and Penny are the couple that has defined the premise of this show. They are "the big bang" on the romantic side of the equation. Johnny and Kaley have always had a connection through their characters and for a time, in their private lives. Season six is the final payoff of five years of building toward a solid relationship and the two actors, in my opinion, are making that culmination crackle.

There are two ways that a viewers could look at season six of L/P and be disappointed:

1. The lessening of tension between the couple. After all those seasons of misunderstandings,  miss connections  and miss communications, all those issues are being resolved and they are starting the end game to marriage. Maybe that is not as exciting as the fights and break-ups.

2. Some viewers may have wanted another pairing for Penny. But who? Of the three other possibilities besides Leonard she had: One she considered a complete sleaze but who reformed and married her friend from work. One she considered a child in a man's body who insulted her mental capacity and morals and who still has not developed either romantic or sexual functioning. And the final possibility can not even speak to her after nearly six years without being drunk.

So the writers have used their chemistry set on the only man she could (and was intended) to choose.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

Wow Leonard and Penny were great together tonight. They were very boyfriend and girlfriend in a relationship tonight. If the writers keep treating their characters like this, I'll be happy.

yes they were. how penny was holding on to leonard arm going

up the steps to the apartment after bernie's party. then in her

apartment for ther party by his side.

it has been long time that they look happy together as bf/gf :icon_lol:

• Like 2

Amen, Carl1970.

Leonard and Penny are the couple that has defined the premise of this show. They are "the big bang" on the romantic side of the equation. Johnny and Kaley have always had a connection through their characters and for a time, in their private lives. Season six is the final payoff of five years of building toward a solid relationship and the two actors, in my opinion, are making that culmination crackle.

There are two ways that a viewers could look at season six of L/P and be disappointed:

1. The lessening of tension between the couple. After all those seasons of misunderstandings,  miss connections  and miss communications, all those issues are being resolved and they are starting the end game to marriage. Maybe that is not as exciting as the fights and break-ups.

2. Some viewers may have wanted another pairing for Penny. But who? Of the three other possibilities besides Leonard she had: One she considered a complete sleaze but who reformed and married her friend from work. One she considered a child in a man's body who insulted her mental capacity and morals and who still has not developed either romantic or sexual functioning. And the final possibility can not even speak to her after nearly six years without being drunk.

So the writers have used their chemistry set on the only man she could (and was intended) to choose.

And... I think ms cuoco used be more "method". She was actually dating mr galecki. There are bits with in s1 & 2 where she just escapes what I think they call "corpsing", especially when she plays against mr parsons. Some of that energy leaked out about Leonard. There is one kiss, not the lime, where they really just went for it. Maybe s3.1.

But now ms cuoco is more mature as an actor, and it is entirely plausible that Penny not be all teenage girl in public. I think that contrast is apparent when re-watching old vs current. But instances like the glasses, Leonard's response to Cole and the obvious physical intimacy sell the connection for me. It is not as overt as it was but it makes sense in the context.

I have noticed the difference in intensity. It might be too that the more overt visual depictions are toned down for audience and that they just bring the titillation into the dialogue. (Hence the costume changes and the lamentable absence of shorts... on Leonard of course).

It is interesting that in several of the forums there have been comments about Ms. Cuoco not looking good in her outfits. Basically that she is not hot enough to dress the way she did before in microshorts and tiny tops. Clearly that is not the case as she has recently appeared in Shape magazine and featured in some sort of article about celebrity abs. The costumers are deliberately dressing her the way she appears, but it looks to me that she could handle midriff baring outfits with ease, if they dressed her that way. I have heard she has a bad scar from breaking her leg a few seasons ago, so that may be why she doesn't wear shorts. The stockings she wears with the hot little dresses she's worn lately probably hide any scarring.

I also agree that the chemistry between Leonard and Penny is back, particularly in the "Closet Reconfiguration". I also think the body language is better than in S3. Penny was almost glued to Leonard's arm all night, and leaned into him when they were sitting in the apartment in the last scene. There was a sense of separateness from the group, as if Penny was facing Leonard as much as she could sitting in the chair next to him ("her spot") and turning her back to the rest of the room. I've also noticed that Leonard appears more confident in dealing with the group as de facto leader and toward Sheldon's more annoying behaviors. In the "Spoiler Alert" not only was he fully prepared to move out, Sheldon complained to Penny about giving him a place to go, wrecking his home. Sheldon needs Leonard controlled, with the Roommate Agreement and the apartment being his only place. But now, Penny's apartment is Leonard's refuge from Sheldon. Leonard has somewhere else to be emotionally safe, and I suspect it scares Sheldon. The problem is the emotional safety is portable, since Penny is apparently with Leonard a great deal of the time. She even goes to lectures with him. It was particularly obvious in the Bakersfield episode, where Penny made it clear that she didn't like not seeing Leonard for aa couple of days.

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 2

I have heard she has a bad scar from breaking her leg a few seasons ago, so that may be why she doesn't wear shorts. The stockings she wears with the hot little dresses she's worn lately probably hide any scarring.

It really doesn't matter if she wears shorts or short skirts as the scarring is actually near her foot and ankle and is visible. On the inside of her left leg, just above the ankle is a twice the size of a quarter (US coin) scar. This is where the bone came out. You can see it in the hallway scene of "The 43 Peculiarity" and a few other episodes. On the outside of the leg, more toward the front, is about a six inch long (but very thin) scar, where they went in to reconstruct the bones and put the pins and rods in. It can be seen briefly in the several episodes. It's easier to film around this one (and harder to see) as the scar where the bone came out is darker than the surrounding leg. It's been surmised that the missing short shorts is simply a change to a more mature wardrobe as Penny has gotten older.
  • Like 3

. It's been surmised that the missing short shorts is simply a change to a more mature wardrobe as Penny has gotten older.

I read that opinion from some trade press observer that Penny's wardrobe selection is more mature now as would be natural for a woman in her late 20s surrounded by professional people. I'm sure that Kaley could walk around in a bikini and still be just as hot as she was as a 21 year old when the show started.

• Like 2

I read that opinion from some trade press observer that Penny's wardrobe selection is more mature now as would be natural for a woman in her late 20s surrounded by professional people. I'm sure that Kaley could walk around in a bikini and still be just as hot as she was as a 21 year old when the show started.

I for one have no doubt of this and hence my lament. It's an egregious example of ageism in popular television and demonstrates how far the show has fallen from s1-3. What are they doing, pandering to reason and reality. Harrumph. ;)

But as long as they keep having fancy events where they dress up...

• Like 3

Nope. She was definitely not drinking. As you and hamerman55 wrote, she was bored out of her mind. She wanted to go on the rides, poor girl. So she just sat down, ate snacks and played Sarcastic Princess. 

I didn't think she looked particularly dishevelled or messy. However she looked like she didn't give a flying toss about the whole Disney thing. I liked that she was eating while her friends were reapplying makeup and looking at themselves. It really was the return of Slugger. 

As for the last scene, it was a bit cheap, I concur. Yet, I am enough of a simpleton to giggle at a guy dropping his pants to his ankles then starting to remove his shirt without further ado. It's silly and inane but I do not think it is meant to be taken seriously in any way. The problem, if one there must be, is that Sleeping Beauty is not a very interesting Princess and her boyfriend is just as dull. The only thing vaguely interesting about her is that she is awakened by a kiss. But that's redundant with Snow White and the writers probably felt it would be funnier to leave it to Sheldon and Amy. There was not much mythology to draw from. Furthermore, Penny is just not into the whole Fairy Tale thing, contrarily to her friends. So the "crudeness" of Leonard's reaction was sort of fitting.  

And he was not being completely insensitive. He was listening to her story while undressing. Extra point for multitasking ;)

But Penny was like "Sleeping Beauty" in relationship with Leonard in whole six seasons. So, this costume perfect match to Penny.

I think that it could be done in a humorous way, depending on how Leonard turns her down and how she reacts.   As for Leonard not actually doing something like that, I think that the writers have been showing growth in the Leonard character (Penny too) especially in this season.   I think that when he confronted Penny about how she fixated on her old boyfriend when Leonard took her out for a romantic dinner is an indication of this.  I also think that Leonard turning down a marraige proposal from Penny, not because he doesn't want to marry her, but because he doesn't think that she is ready for that type of commitment at this time in her life, shows that he is mature enough to care more about Penny's well being then his own wishes.   Isn't that one of the major pillars of true love?

Yes, at last hi is starting to behave like a men, not like a looser. But, Penny`s posture in this realitonship is still like: "Oh, I dont really care about us". I think, after six years, Penny should know exactly what does she feel to Leonard. After six seasons we still have Leonard "I do everything for you, Penny" and Penny "to be or not to be" with Leonard. Annoying. 

Sorry for my bad english.

I for one have no doubt of this and hence my lament. It's an egregious example of ageism in popular television and demonstrates how far the show has fallen from s1-3. What are they doing, pandering to reason and reality. Harrumph. ;)

But as long as they keep having fancy events where they dress up...

Clearly they need to have scenes where Penny models new thong bikini's for Leonard, to convince him to go to the beach. There should be at least 3 episodes a season (once during each sweeps period). Also if Penny buys something from Victoria's Secret we need to see her wearing it, not just her holding the bag (3-17) and mentioning it.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 6

Clearly they need to have scenes where Penny models new thong bikini's for Leonard, to convince him to go to the beach. There should be at least 3 episodes a season (once during each sweeps period). Also if Penny buys something from Victoria's Secret we need to see her wearing it, not just her holding the bag (3-17) and mentioning it.

As long as ms cuoco feels able to maintain her dignity and is comfortable... But for symmetry, if she is in a bikini we have to have a topless Leonard. In budgie smugglers.

(google knows)

Edited by Llatasativargon
  • Like 1