Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

I can't believe how disappointed I am in the finale. I just see it as lazy writing and I agree with the Shamy's, this episode begged for a Shamy scene. I plan on writing more when I get home to my home computer, instead of my phone, I am on now.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would have been a bit hard for Leonard to compare Penny to his friends girlfriends, seeing as he fell for Penny in the first episode, prior to Bernadette or Amy ever appearing.  And who was it that

I think you are right. Penny's problem with Leonard is that, in spite of the fact she's known him for six years, she's still getting used to him as her SO. There are two likely reasons. First, her exp

Before I start off let me just say that I understand that not everyone is a fan of the romantics that seem to be taking place more and more as the new season progresses. I'm get it, everyone has their

I can't believe how disappointed I am in the finale. I just see it as lazy writing and I agree with the Shamy's, this episode begged for a Shamy scene. I plan on writing more when I get home to my home computer, instead of my phone, I am on now.

Well I'd wait until you've seen the episode and how the actors play the scenes before judging the episode.

To me it sounds like a very mature approach from both of them to Lenoard being gone for 4  months, only giving

into their emotions at the airport.

• Like 3

Well I'd wait until you've seen the episode and how the actors play the scenes before judging the episode.

To me it sounds like a very mature approach from both of them to Lenoard being gone for 4  months, only giving

into their emotions at the airport.

No in this case the actors can't fix the obvious problems in this episode, no matter how well they play it. The main problem is that two huge events happened and they stuck them into one episode, trivializing both of them.

I'm waiting to see the episode before I form a proper judgement about the episode.

A lot of what makes the show work is the chemistry between all the actors, you don't get that in

taping reports or spoilers. But I can see where you are coming from on this.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying everyone's post on this thread and the others. First of all I have to comment on SOME of the Shamy's comments about no Shamy in this episode. 3+ years ago Sheldon met Amy. Before that no Shamy. Now every episode has to have a Shamy moment. It seems the last episode was a big Shamy night. I'm sorry I had to vent.

On this thread I can see everyone's point of view. To me this one is going to be a good one. The best of all time NO. In regards to Lenny part of this seems to be pushing their (eventual) engagement back. They did it in a way that with no drama. Penny didn't have to decide if she was going to go with him. It isn't permanent. It reminds us when the guys left to go to the North Pole. This time though things were a lot of different. There a couple now. The Tenure Turbulance showed that Penny was there to support Leonard. So does this. 

I know SRAM mentioned that there were two major events. I'm guessing he means Leonard leaving and Raj's mutism/breaking up. There was no way at least to me that Raj/Lucy was ever going to work. Obviously the mutism is a big deal and actually a bigger deal than Leonard leaving. I don't think Leonard on a boat for four months is a big event. Beginning of the season it would have been not now. And it appears to played out that way. I think it was on purpose Raj mutism breakthrough was when Penny. As someone in another post has mentioned she has become the "mother" of the group. She was worried and decided to visit him. Something Leonard would have done.

• Like 4

The whole Leonard trip is so trivialized in this episode. First the North Sea is a dangerous place and Penny even makes a point about Hawkin falling overboard, but she has no worries about Leonard. Also she makes the stupid remark that his trip couldn't ruin the relationship because he would have to be there to ruin it, that isn't even funny, it's sad. Plus the man she loves is going away for four months and she is worried about Raj's relationship problems, yeah right.

The Shenny's are going to love this episode. Leonard is away for four months, Penny doesn't care that much and Sheldon needs someone to help him. They are going to have a field day in fanfiction all summer.

Based on what we know of the episode before, I don't really see that Penny is going to be the one that Sheldon turns to all that much.  And if there wasn't episode 6.23 then I could see Shamy fans being a bit unnerved and Shenny fans being a bit hopeful. 

Without seeing facial expressions and other evidence of body language, I cannot say that Penny is nonchalant about Leonard leaving.  H/B already went through an extended absence and their relationship didn't falter.  I think that in itself is a testament that a strong relationship can survive.  And I think they've shown Lenny to be a strong relationship. 

Besides this might be the catalyst Penny needs to propose in Season 7....

• Like 2

The whole Leonard trip is so trivialized in this episode. First the North Sea is a dangerous place and Penny even makes a point about Hawkin falling overboard, but she has no worries about Leonard. Also she makes the stupid remark that his trip couldn't ruin the relationship because he would have to be there to ruin it, that isn't even funny, it's sad. Plus the man she loves is going away for four months and she is worried about Raj's relationship problems, yeah right.

While I believe I see where you are coming from, I have to say I do not interpret things in the same way.

I am no expert in this area, but is the North Sea really that dangerous ? People from all over Europe book cruises to the North Sea so, while I appreciate Leonard is not going to stay on a massive yacht (and those are not always as unsinkable as advertised), I doubt there is much worry to be had about his safety. Penny's comment about Stephen Hawking falling overboard probably had more to do with the poor man being in a wheelchair and, as such, not best suited to "stand" on the deck of any boat/ship/embarcation, no matter what the body of water. She could have said the same thing  about him taking the Staten Island Ferry.

As for her making light of Leonard's absence and what it means for their relationship, I actually take that as a vote of confidence, complete with a little joke. I doubt Leonard will take the jibe personally at all. It looks to me as if she is trying to reassure him : he is worried she will feel abandoned, left out by him leaving for four months. He fears their relationship will suffer. But she sets him straight : his departure will not damage their couple in anyway. Now, she could have put it very simply ("Whether you are here with me or not does not change how I feel about you and us" or something like that) but she prefers to make a little joke. That's what she does. And as long as she says it with a smile on her face and he takes it with a smile on his, I doubt there is much to be concerned about. 

She is happy he is given the opportunity of a lifetime : what better proof of love is there ? 

The Shenny's are going to love this episode. Leonard is away for four months, Penny doesn't care that much and Sheldon needs someone to help him. They are going to have a field day in fanfiction all summer.

I believe it has been scientifically proven that these people are crazy. And not the funny kind of crazy, like when eirwinrommel felt like emulating Captain Blackadder by putting pencils up his nostrils, pants on his head and saying "wibble" repeatedly.

They will twist anything into whatever pleases them : they will probably find a way to say that, when saying ILY at the airport, Penny is actually looking at Sheldon's reflection in the car window. I am actually willing to take bets on that one. 

My question is : who cares ? I said it before and I will say it again : theirs is a "moo" point. Opinion of a cow = does not matter. Unless it is the Milka Cow, in which case I am all ears. 

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 7

I think you may be overthinking it a bit. I understand the North Sea being a dangerous place but I think the Hawking line was for laughs. In regards to the ruining the relationship line Leonard is the one commenting on himself ruining the relationship by leaving. If anything what she says is a positive. It sounds to me she's saying everything will be fine till he gets back. They can't have a fight if their not together. I get your point if the ship sinks but is that really going to happen? To me her being upset of him leaving would be more of a red flag. Her being more worried about Raj's relationship than theirs show me everything is going well with them. As someone said earlier things make look different on TV.

In fanfiction the Shenny's already rule there.

I really wanted a mutual ILY.  That was my main wish for the episode so I'm pretty happy...

I like many others

Same here

Me Too!!!

By how the report reads Penny said ILY first which is a big thing for her.

• Like 2

Me Too!!!

By how the report reads Penny said ILY first which is a big thing for her.

You know that escaped me concerning the significance of Penny saying ILY first.  Awesome!

• Like 1

Here in Indonesia, TBBT is getting popular now in this recent two years and we also have a little bit like a forum for TBBT. Most of us here are watching TBBT for the new comedy show and we are not really into the shippers like Lenny, Shamy or other pairings. As i found out on that forum, i may conclude that they are a little bit boring about the show because as far as we accept pairings but this season has become "ruined" by too many romance drama in this season story line and lack of fresh scientific jokes and new story ideas that no includes pairings drama. We are too intoxicated by having a lot of soap opera tv program here and we hope that this TBBT will not be the same as theirs. So i appreciate the writers to bring the ideas of curing Raj's selective mutism issue so this fans and audience in my country will come back with more excitement to season 7. Or maybe bring the new fans for TBBT.

For Leonard's departure, my point of view is perhaps that Penny becomes more mature and she finds out that dating or eventually in the future married a scientist will have one time that they will be apart from each other for months and i think she admits it to become a common things and also maybe for the bad that she can avoid the future commitment just at least for 4 months. I don't know but i often have the feelings that Penny is trying to keep the relationship as long as possible to be what she called homeostatis and she is not really into marriage things. So if we will get the L/P proposal or  perhaps marriage until the end of the TBBT show, from now on i will not be too surprised.

As many of you have stated above, mutual ILY is what the show needs for now and i am pretty happy for these.

Hey, SRAM. I hear you on this, I really do. But the Shennys are a delusional bunch that will twist anything their way. If we ever get to see Leonard and Penny's wedding day, in fan fiction they will say Penny was looking at and really thinking about Sheldon when she says 'I do' or something equally horrifically nut ball and left field. I adore fan fiction and it is frustrating to see how much the L/P folks are outnumbered by the Shenny. But it's like eye color -- you can't change it. You can't dissuade a Shenny any more than you can dissuade me from being hardcore L/P. You can rant against it or worry about it but then you will just bask in negativity. The better use of everyone's time is continue to write the type of story you want to read, bolster our L/P numbers. And anyone new coming into the fandom (like me in January 2011) will have the chance to read stories where the Leonard/Penny relationship is honestly and fairly represented and Leonard isn't unrecognizable, written as a sniveling, jealous, whining jerk. They try to crush us with their numbers but it hasn't worked, we haven't stopped. The L/P folks in fan fiction are hard to eradicate and we keep growing. And lately it seems we have made a wave in the Shenny sea. And speaking of sea, I see a whole bunch of plot bunnies from Leonard being in the middle of the ocean. And in the end, the very end, we'll still have canon and they'll just have a bunch of crappy, delusional stories. You have a great story going -- just keep doing what you're doing. 

• Like 3

I think I really like the tone of this episode : Penny and Leonard appear to behave very maturely about the separation.

Understandably Leonard seems a bit worried four months may be too long a time apart but I find it interesting (and a positive move forward) Penny is so accepting of it and, above all, happy for him and the opportunity he has been given. 

The writers made good use of the first onscreen mutual ILYS, I think : when the reality of the separation hits them, they use it to comfort themselves and each other. Nicely done ! Furthermore, Penny and Leonard do not overreact to it. They accept it as fact which is in keeping with the second half of the season during which they behaved as if they had already said ILY to each other.

Considering the episode looks like it is mostly about Raj (with a healthy dose of Leonard/Sheldon), the relative lack of Lenny drama/heavy action does not bother me. Plus, it gives us the chance to see Penny be the group's "momma", as she should be. 

Thanks @Chiara for bringing up the point about the lack of Lenny drama being a plus. I think this is exactly what the writers intended. This is the kind of event that would have had Leonard and especially Penny, in full panic mode. This time they handled it as a mature couple who look at their lives in the long term. This is an opportunity that is good for Leonard's career and as Penny showed in the "Tenure" episode, what's good for his career is good for her in the long run.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

I believe it has been scientifically proven that these (Shenny) people  are crazy. And not the funny kind of crazy.

They will twist anything into whatever pleases them : they will probably find a way to say that, when saying ILY at the airport, Penny is actually looking at Sheldon's reflection in the car window. I am actually willing to take bets on that one. 

My question is : who cares ? I said it before and I will say it again : theirs is a "moo" point. Opinion of a cow = does not matter. Unless it is the Milka Cow, in which case I am all ears. 

While the "Shennys" are famous for their ability to divine the smallest piece of minutia in a scene and devise a proof that Sheldon and Penny are ready to run off together, they will have to completely ignore the context of how Sheldon and Penny will interact this summer while Leonard's away. Penny was asked to look after Sheldon as if he is their child. This is a running motif in the Sheldon, Leonard, Penny interaction since the first season.

It has to discourage the most diehard Shennys that Sheldon never is allowed to be an adult male around Penny or any other woman for that matter. The poor man can't even drive and has so little personal courage he got treed by a chicken. Penny, Bernie, and now Amy take turns giving him home training on how to interact with people and they had to give him a book on sex which gave him nightmares. His mother told him to be careful of big city women less he gets assaulted. Some Shennys say Sheldon would be a challenge for Penny. What would be the challenge? Dragging a 30+ year old man into puberty? If she did that then what would she have? A man who has been abusive to her self image and dismissive of her intelligence and morals. Nice catch.

I may be too logical about this but I can't believe there is a woman alive (or in fiction, besides Amy) that would look at Sheldon and say "I want some of that!"

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 3

While the "Shennys" are famous for their ability to divine the smallest piece of minutia in a scene and devise a proof that Sheldon and Penny are ready to run off together, they will have to completely ignore the context of how Sheldon and Penny will interact this summer while Leonard's away. Penny was asked to look after Sheldon as if he is their child. This is a running motif in the Sheldon, Leonard, Penny interaction since the first season.

Word. 

Penny has always been Sheldon's mother/big sister. That is why 1) she is so kind and forgiving towards him (mother), 2) she dares to "play with the Sheldon" in a way virtually nobody else does (sister), and 3) she can never feel anything but platonic love for him (incest = wrong !!!).

While Leonard is away, she will care for Sheldon when needed : take him to buy shoes, sing "Soft Kitty" to him when he is sick, cut his hair, possibly attempt to murder him in his sleep, etc. What she will not do is jump his bones !

I may be too logical about this but I can't believe there is a woman alive (or in fiction, besides Amy) that would look at Sheldon and say "I want some of that!"

Looking at him might draw a woman in. Listening to him for more than five minutes will make any man, woman, child and/or animal run for their life !: 

In this regard, both Amy and Leonard are quite strange. We know what Leonard's mother is like so we can sort of explain his high tolerance of the Sheldon. Perhaps meeting Amy's dad would help understanding her.

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 3

Instead of trying to explaining what the Shennys believe or how they justify the pairing, why don't we just use those three little words that provide the most accurate description for them: "Bat Crap Crazy".

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 6

I started thinking about what Penny said, in effect she said Leonard being gone meant he couldn't mess up their relationship. If you look at it the cricies in their relationship have come from Leonard saying something when he should have kept still.

Season 2 episode 01: Leonard gives an insecure Penny college information, Penny breaks up with him.

Season 2 episode 15: They are about to have sex, mentions substitute for parent, Penny kicks him out.

Season 3 episode 19: Says 'ILY, won't let it go, Penny breaks up with him.

Season 5 episode 23: Proposes (during sex), puts them in bad place, almost causes break up.

So I can see what she means by that.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

Let us recap. In the finale, there will be

- a mutual ILY, initiated by Penny (well done, eagle-eyed readers);

- Penny spontaneously offering to visit Leonard during his stay abroad (before finding out it will not be feasible);

- Penny telling Leonard she will miss him (to his face, not hidden behind a door)

- Penny making sure her man has his inhalers with him before he leaves.

I am actually feeling quite good about this...

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 8

- Penny spontaneously offering to visit Leonard during his stay abroad (before finding out it will not be feasible);

- Penny telling Leonard she will miss him (to his face, not hidden behind a door)

:wub:

• Like 2

me too :icon_lol:

• Like 2

What if Leonard, not Hawking, falls off the boat in the hiatus, pushed by mr Lorre? "It's a trap!" (Just saying no one has a monopoly on bcc).

But seriously, this looks like a solid wrap up. Not even worried about Raj, though I did appreciate the nod to the past.

Looking forward to the performance.