Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

Maybe you can find one from 'Bones' when they were investigating the death of the man with 3 wives. Season 6 episode 12. there was a scene where Bones demonstrated a 'repetitive motion' injury as the result of having 3 wives. And no, I don't mean from hitting himself on the head while going 'why do I have three wives?'.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

While over in the taping reports forum catching up on the finale, I was impressed by the significant amount of enthusiasm by the Shamy fans for the D&D love potion scene. Truly that seems to be a huge development to them. I was curious what would possibly be a development in Leonard and Penny's relationship that would be of similar significance? This season seems to be a series of medium size steps toward where we are now, which is a whole universe better than this time last year. Yet I sense more cautious optimism tinged with a little fear that something bad could happen to erase all the gains of the past season, than delightful anticipation of greater things to come.

I wonder if is because the Shamy can do pretty much anything, and not really upset the status quo of the rest of the characters, whereas events in Leonard and Penny's relationship spill over in the whole show. There are also big things that haven't happened in the Shamy, while have done those things (sex, ILY,etc.).

Regarding the 7th season, the first big spoiler will be if Leonard returns in the first episode, or is still in the North Sea for a couple of episodes. I wonder if even the writers know.

• Like 6

While over in the taping reports forum catching up on the finale, I was impressed by the significant amount of enthusiasm by the Shamy fans for the D&D love potion scene. Truly that seems to be a huge development to them. I was curious what would possibly be a development in Leonard and Penny's relationship that would be of similar significance? This season seems to be a series of medium size steps toward where we are now, which is a whole universe better than this time last year.

This season? I would say the admission by Penny that she was made insecure by the advances of Alex. Prior to this, she basically laughed off any suggestion that Leonard might break up with her. It was fairly obvious (not withstanding Penny's abortive attempt to break up with Leonard in 6.02)that she loved him, she just needed to say it. Her fear that Leonard may break up with her was a huge change in their relationship dynamic. If you want to consider this year done, a Marriage proposal by Penny would fill the bill in future seasons.

Yet I sense more cautious optimism tinged with a little fear that something bad could happen to erase all the gains of the past season, than delightful anticipation of greater things to come.

The fear is easy to explain. See Season 3, Episode 19, "The Wheaton Recurrence" and Season 4, Episode 24, "The Roommate Transmogrification". Both of those came out of left field with no prior warning. I think that the L/P supporters are a touch nervous about what the writers could do to them at this point. Although it's my contention that anything that would cause a breakup at this point would almost have to destroy the characters as they have previously (to this point) have been written.

I wonder if is because the Shamy can do pretty much anything, and not really upset the status quo of the rest of the characters, whereas events in Leonard and Penny's relationship spill over in the whole show. There are also big things that haven't happened in the Shamy, while have done those things (sex, ILY,etc.).

Nah, those two episodes are the source of almost all fear concerning Leonard and Penny.

Regarding the 7th season, the first big spoiler will be if Leonard returns in the first episode, or is still in the North Sea for a couple of episodes. I wonder if even the writers know.

They probably don't know for sure at this point. At the 2011 Comic-Con, held in mid-July, the writers, by their own admission, still didn't have a firm resolution of the Penny-Raj in bed finale of the previous May. They had some ideas and Prady thought the resolution should work for everyone. But there was nothing in concrete yet.

• Like 3

@tensor, you are right. I couldn't really crystallize in my mind where the fear was coming from, there it is. In Penny and Leonard 1.0, things weren't smooth, but in what universe does ILY logically lead to a breakup? Apparently only in TBBT. Considering the precipitating action of Penny's to initiate the relationship was to practically sexually assault Leonard while going on about how much she missed him, it made no sense. Did she not love him to some extent in "The Monopolar Expedition"? Or was the first example of her commitment phobia?

Penny sleeping with Raj still makes no sense to me. They got a couple of jokes out of it, but it just highlighted the mean streak in the Koothrapali's and the pitifulness of Penny at this point. Raj knew his sister was going back to India and would never accept a non-Indian as a mate. He knew that Penny wanted Leonard back, as she told him that night. A good friend to Leonard and Penny would have told Penny that Priya was leaving and would never accept Leonard permanently. Instead, the implication is that he kept pouring wine into Penny until she is blackout drunk, then attempts to have sex with her. Not in Penny's apartment, where it would be discreet, but IN LEONARD'S BED. He also knew she was blackout drunk, since he knew she didn't remember not actually having sex with him.

Penny then apologizes to the group, but who else besides Leonard cares that she slept with anybody? Howard? Sheldon? Their girlfriends? No, just Leonard. At this point, she still doesn't know Priya is gone, either. Her life is in ruins. And it is Raj's fault.

On an only slightly related note, we'll know if a love interest for Raj is potentially serious if she is Indian (and straight). If she's not Indian, then either the racism of the Priya arc will be ignored, or she's a false lead. Would Raj's parents cut him off financially if he wants to marry a non-Indian? I think so. They'd be more OK with him being gay, I think. It seems like the family sort of expects that he is.

But back to the point. The Shamy is actually more stable than Leonard and Penny, as neither Sheldon nor Amy are commitment adverse. They just aren't physically intimate. Actually, the Shamys should fear a "Wheaton Recurrance" as TPTB have shown themselves capable of that. If we assume, as we Lennys hope, that at this point breaking up Penny and Leonard would destroy the characters and the show (so and so they won't do it) then the other relationships are potentially in danger. And which would be the funnier breakup. A fairly new marriage? I don't think so. A three year old relationship with no sex? Very fertile ground, and it involves one of the central characters.

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 4

Penny sleeping with Raj still makes no sense to me. They got a couple of jokes out of it, but it just highlighted the mean streak in the Koothrapali's and the pitifulness of Penny at this point. Raj knew his sister was going back to India and would never accept a non-Indian as a mate. He knew that Penny wanted Leonard back, as she told him that night. A good friend to Leonard and Penny would have told Penny that Priya was leaving and would never accept Leonard permanently. Instead, the implication is that he kept pouring wine into Penny until she is blackout drunk, then attempts to have sex with her. Not in Penny's apartment, where it would be discreet, but IN LEONARD'S BED. He also knew she was blackout drunk, since he knew she didn't remember not actually having sex with him.

Penny then apologizes to the group, but who else besides Leonard cares that she slept with anybody? Howard? Sheldon? Their girlfriends? No, just Leonard. At this point, she still doesn't know Priya is gone, either. Her life is in ruins. And it is Raj's fault.

On an only slightly related note, we'll know if a love interest for Raj is potentially serious if she is Indian (and straight). If she's not Indian, then either the racism of the Priya arc will be ignored, or she's a false lead. Would Raj's parents cut him off financially if he wants to marry a non-Indian? I think so. They'd be more OK with him being gay, I think. It seems like the family sort of expects that he is.

But back to the point. The Shamy is actually more stable than Leonard and Penny, as neither Sheldon nor Amy are commitment adverse. They just aren't physically intimate. Actually, the Shamys should fear a "Wheaton Recurrance" as TPTB have shown themselves capable of that. If we assume, as we Lennys hope, that at this point breaking up Penny and Leonard would destroy the characters and the show (so and so they won't do it) then the other relationships are potentially in danger. And which would be the funnier breakup. A fairly new marriage? I don't think so. A three year old relationship with no sex? Very fertile ground, and it involves one of the central characters.

Raj is nearly a total douche throughout the series but he is so pathetic at time I find myself not noticing until after some reflection on his actions.

Interesting point about Shamy being more stable then the Lenny. It's true. But I think it's because they were created for each other and realistically who else would find either of them tolerable for more then then a few minutes at a time. It would be hard to break them up because the characters would have little options accept each other. Amy has the potential to almost be socially acceptable to another mate but as written, she would not really give up on Sheldon. Sheldon would just continue to be his asexual self and start collecting cats again.

But being that Amy still has three years to go on her plan to marry Sheldon they are going to have to show some sort of drama in their relationship or it will get pretty repetitive in their interactions.

Edited by BangerMain

I know I come from a minority view on this point but wasn't Priya sleeping with Leonard in Raj's bed? It seems to me it was a bit of getting even from Raj. I do get your point of taking him advantage of Penny at this point. I myself never bought his explanation that he couldn't perform. To me it either happened or he had second thoughts. In regards to Penny though she admitted screwing up by breaking up with Leonard she never did anything about it. Though Priya did go back to India they didn't break up until early in season 5.

At this point I believe Raj's parents would be accepting of a non indian girlfriend. I believe there concern more for him when he had the deaf girl was because he was being taken advantage of. In the people magazine episode the Father didn't seem that concerned with him being with Penny.

You do bring up an interesting point about Raj and a potential girlfriend in the future. After the Tenure Turbulance episode there seems to be a full time physicist position open. It would be interesting if they filled with a graduate student who just got her PHD. Maybe Alex. Since his mutism appears to be cured it would be an interesting scenerio. If I remember correctly when they first met Leonard made a point that she was an astrophysicist like Raj. Could you picture her hanging with the group? 

• Like 1

Having Alex join the faculty permanently as an astrophysicist would be pretty cool. I liked the character, and her interaction with Sheldon after he treated her like an indentured servant would be funny. Until things got going with Raj (if that is what happens) it would keep Penny on edge and worried, and I like that. As @tensor mentioned, the most important development in Leonard and Penny's relationship is Penny admitting her insecurities about what she offers Leonard. Actually, as I discuss below, I actually wouldn't want a pretty sympathetic character such as Alex being Raj's love interest until he goes through some character development.

As an aside, I'm actually pretty OK with how Alex handled things with Leonard. All she's heard from Leonard regarding Penny is comments about how she's not really into things Leonard expressed an interest in. She was actually pretty shy about it, and gave him a clean choice. Like "I'm really committed to Penny, so going out to dinner is not a possibility, but as a friend, I'd like to hear about the lecture from you at work." Then things are cool. Although watching him crash the giant Jenga was pretty funny, and more in keeping with Leonard's character. He was shocked she asked him out, but the context was reasonable for Alex. She saw an opening, and went for it. It works for her on a number of levels. They hit it off so well at first meeting, that even Penny and Amy watching from hiding picked up on the attraction. Alex was quite taken with Leonard right away, and Leonard likes her too. He's just clueless that he can attract girls. He sure missed the first time she hit on him in "The 43 Peculiarity". He was bitching to her about his own jealousy and possible infidelity on Penny's part. Alex saw a relationship in trouble, and pursued an obvious opportunity.

As far as Raj is concerned, the more I think about him sleeping with Penny, the more I dislike the character fundamentally. Even if Raj thought sleeping with Penny in Leonard's bed was payback, I'm sure Penny would have qualms about it unless she was practically unconscious. All they had to do is walk across the hall to Penny's apartment and do whatever. No one would ever need to know. If Raj was leaving Penny's apartment in the morning (broad daylight was what woke Penny up in the first place,), then there would have been a really good chance no one would know. Of course, it wouldn't have worked out that way since Leonard was crashed on the sofa, but at least smart thinking would have been in play in trying to hide the hookup. Instead, Raj chose to bring a practically comatose Penny to Leonard's bed to have sex with her. Her drunkenly fumbling with Raj's condom probably had a lot to do with the way things turned out. And given how little sex Raj has gotten, he was only good for one time? I'll bet Penny passed out and having sex with an unconscious girl was a line Raj was not willing to cross. I suspect he has some morals in that regard.

They had also solved the problem of Leonard and Priya sleeping in Raj's bed by switching rooms. I admit that them hooking up in Raj's bed wasn't the best, but Raj could have stood up for himself and said no. It was his bed, and if he didn't have the gumption to tell them to get a hotel room to have sex, then tough. Personally, he should have done that anyway. By the way, where was Priya sleeping in Raj's apartment. Wouldn't you think that Raj, with all his money, would have a larger place with two bedrooms? Maybe he had a hideabed in his bedroom, as I doubt he and Priya slept in the same bed, not would she have slept for months on the sofa. As the girl, particularly in a patriarchal society, Raj would have given her his bedroom, and slept on the sofa.

I hate to come down on Raj too hard, but it seems to be where the conversation is going. Raj knew three very crucial facts prior to sleeping with Penny. First, she was going back to India. Second, there was no chance that Priya was serious about Leonard. Third, Penny deeply regretted breaking up with Leonard. A good friend to Penny and Leonard would say, "Gee Penny, you know Priya is going to dump Leonard and move back to India, probably to hook up with her old boyfriend Sanjay. Chill out for a few days or so, and you could scoop Leonard right up!" Instead, coldly and with calculation, he does the one thing HE can do to mess up any chance of Penny and Leonard getting back together. He gets Penny blackout drunk and tries to have sex with her in Leonard's bed. He continues to conceal Penny's desire to get back with Leonard after the whole Priya think blows over. Penny practically moved back to Nebraska over Raj's betrayal of everyone's trust, although she didn't know the depths of it all. I imagine she stepped very lightly around Leonard until their friendship recovered. As far as Leonard knows, Penny quite willingly had sex with Raj in HIS bed. Penny didn't embarrass by pointed out she was drunk to the point of passing out, and that Raj wasn't up to the job anyway. Maybe she told Leonard off camera, but I would expect that would be a conversation that had to occur before Leonard would be cool with her again.

Now one could excuse it as part of his racial and cultural upbringing, but I'm sorry, it is racist and elitist. We know Raj is the latter. The comments he's made about how things are in India bear this out. He's actually a rather terrible person in many respects. His hope that Bernadette would dump his best friend is another example. Maybe he's a subtle point being made by TPTB. Sheldon's mother pointed it out the last time she visited, noting that it was interesting that Priya's parents did not approve of Leonard because he was white.

I'm not really sure where they're going with Raj, but they need to do some repair work on him too. In "The Tenure Turbulence", he was embarrassing. Whining about heated seats in Pasadena? For his annually replace BMW? Please. The fact that a reasonably decent looking guy who is very wealthy and who works at a respectable job can't find a girl is a testament to something, I'm just not sure what. Even tippling all day long, he should be able to work something out. Go to match.com, chat up a girl online, then meet her with a glass of wine in his hand at a bar. Without some serious character development, he's getting no one.

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 1

Having Alex join the faculty permanently as an astrophysicist would be pretty cool. I liked the character, and her interaction with Sheldon after he treated her like an indentured servant would be funny. Until things got going with Raj (if that is what happens) it would keep Penny on edge and worried, and I like that. As @tensor mentioned, the most important development in Leonard and Penny's relationship is Penny admitting her insecurities about what she offers Leonard. Actually, as I discuss below, I actually wouldn't want a pretty sympathetic character such as Alex being Raj's love interest until he goes through some character development.

As an aside, I'm actually pretty OK with how Alex handled things with Leonard. All she's heard from Leonard is comments about how she's not really into things Leonard expressed an interest in. She was actually pretty shy about it, and gave him a clean choice. Like "I'm really committed to Penny, so going out to dinner is not a possibility, but as a friend, I'd like to hear about the lecture from you at work." Then things are cool. Although watching him crash the giant Jenga was pretty funny, and more in keeping with Leonard's character. He was shocked she asked him out, but the context was reasonable for Alex. She saw an opening, and went for it. It works for her on a number of levels. They hit it off so well at first meeting, that even Penny and Amy watching from hiding picked up on the attraction. Alex was quite taken with Leonard right away, and Leonard likes her too. He's just clueless that he can attract girls. He sure missed the first time she hit on him in "The 43 Peculiarity". He was bitching to her about his own jealousy and possible infidelity on Penny's part. Alex saw a relationship in trouble, and pursued an obvious opportunity.

I agree with you on almost everything you say especially about Raj's character. People I think though are going to like Alex more for showing Penny's insecurities and enduring Sheldon's STD book. She became less sympathetic when she asked him out to dinner. Her being shy about it made no difference at least to me. It certainly benefitted Leonard but that was more because Sheldon ended up telling the girls about it.

I know I come from a minority view on this point but wasn't Priya sleeping with Leonard in Raj's bed? It seems to me it was a bit of getting even from Raj. 

I always suspected this. Remember when Leonard comes into the room to hang up his Star Trek uniform and is startled to find Raj in his bed? They have their little conversation and Leonard comes upon the idea of exchanging rooms for awhile. [paraphrasing here] Then Raj asks, 'Can I bring a girl over?' Leonard looks amused and surprised. 'You a girl? Sure! Any girl you want.' Very famous last words. Little did he know that girl would be Penny. 

• Like 2

Raj is nearly a total douche throughout the series but he is so pathetic at time I find myself not noticing until after some reflection on his actions.

Interesting point about Shamy being more stable then the Lenny. It's true. But I think it's because they were created for each other and realistically who else would find either of them tolerable for more then then a few minutes at a time. It would be hard to break them up because the characters would have little options accept each other. Amy has the potential to almost be socially acceptable to another mate but as written, she would not really give up on Sheldon. Sheldon would just continue to be his asexual self and start collecting cats again.

But being that Amy still has three years to go on her plan to marry Sheldon they are going to have to show some sort of drama in their relationship or it will get pretty repetitive in their interactions.

I must disagree about Amy. In the beginning she was just a female Sheldon, but in the last few years she's evolved into more. I think many of Amy's problems come from having no friends when she was growing up, as a result she was a lonely  shut off person. Since joining the group she's opened up and become much closer to what passes for normal. The thing with Amy is that she was unhappy with how she was when she met Sheldon and when she had an opportunity to change she grabbed it, Sheldon is happy with how he is and sees no need for change. As a result I think Amy's outgrown Sheldon and could, if she wanted to, go out and find someone better. Sheldon, on the other hand, no so much.

Or as Amy said (season 6 episode 15)

"Then what the hell, Sheldon? We have been going out for over two years, and I have been nothing but patient with you. I watch your dopey space movies. I signed your ridiculous contract. I even stopped wearing lip gloss ’cause you said it made my mouth look too slippery. I am the best girlfriend you’re ever gonna have. You give me one good reason why I can’t live here."

He can't really, she wasn't even asking for sex, she just wanted to move into Leonard's room and replace him in his life. Even Sheldon wasn't thinking about the sexual aspect of her moving in.

Sheldon: Hello, home wrecker.

Penny: What did I do?

Sheldon: You gave Leonard somewhere to go. Thanks to you, Amy’s out buying his and hers bath towels. Like I’d ever dry myself with something that has a possessive pronoun on it.

Penny: Okay. Listen, the truth is I don’t want him living with me.

Sheldon: Great. Kick him out. Break his heart. Everybody wins.

Penny: No, I don’t want to break his heart. I love him. This is just happening too fast.

Sheldon: You think this is fast? It’s just a matter of time before I see Amy’s leg stubble in my shower.

Penny: Yeah, and I’ve seen those legs. You might want to get some Drano.

Amy may not be to most guy's taste, but she can do better than Sheldon.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 4

I must disagree about Amy. In the beginning she was just a female Sheldon, but in the last few years she's evolved into more. I think many of Amy's problems come from having no friends when she was growing up, as a result she was a lonely  shut off person. Since joining the group she's opened up and become much closer to what passes for normal. The thing with Amy is that she was unhappy with how she was when she met Sheldon and when she had an opportunity to change she grabbed it, Sheldon is happy with how he is and sees no need for change. As a result I think Amy's outgrown Sheldon and could, if she wanted to, go out and find someone better. Sheldon, on the other hand, no so much.

Or as Amy said (season 6 episode 15)

"Then what the hell, Sheldon? We have been going out for over two years, and I have been nothing but patient with you. I watch your dopey space movies. I signed your ridiculous contract. I even stopped wearing lip gloss ’cause you said it made my mouth look too slippery. I am the best girlfriend you’re ever gonna have. You give me one good reason why I can’t live here."

He can't really, she wasn't even asking for sex, she just wanted to move into Leonard's room and replace him in his life. Even Sheldon wasn't thinking about the sexual aspect of her moving in.

Sheldon: Hello, home wrecker.

Penny: What did I do?

Sheldon: You gave Leonard somewhere to go. Thanks to you, Amy’s out buying his and hers bath towels. Like I’d ever dry myself with something that has a possessive pronoun on it.

Penny: Okay. Listen, the truth is I don’t want him living with me.

Sheldon: Great. Kick him out. Break his heart. Everybody wins.

Penny: No, I don’t want to break his heart. I love him. This is just happening too fast.

Sheldon: You think this is fast? It’s just a matter of time before I see Amy’s leg stubble in my shower.

Penny: Yeah, and I’ve seen those legs. You might want to get some Drano.

Amy may not be to most guy's taste, but she can do better than Sheldon.

I think we agree about Amy, 100% She is sociable enough now that she does not need to wait for Sheldon to become an adult male. What I wrote is "Amy has the potential to almost be socially acceptable to another mate but as written, she would not really give up on Sheldon." The thing is the writers plan for Amy seems to have her wait for Sheldon and take his grief until he comes around.

What you say is so true, Amy can do much better than Sheldon. But the plan is not to let her. It's the same argument that rages on this forum from time to time about Leonard fixating on Penny to the exclusion of women who have more to offer as a spouse. We all know that those "Smart and Beautiful" babies are going to be made by Penny.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

@hamerman55, Raj: "Fair is foul, and foul is fair". Not quite right but he has always been in camouflage. I'm 99% certain that was in his character description at the outset... and Howard's, but positively in his case. They were a complementary set (dyadic?). If you think too hard about Raj it goes to a really dark place.

@Chrismo. Alex can't get by the girls without a big effort, because the ladies will not forget that she triggered their men's trip to HR and hit on Leonard. Will they forgive, like the boys did Raj? I doubt it. It could be written away I guess.

@eirwinrommel. Yes.

@bangermain. Yes, captive to her fate. Sheldon has to reconfigure to match. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth over next x seasons from enthusiasts will follow.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I think we saw Raj's true colors in the "The Griffin Equivalency" where became an overbearing jerk who expected Penny to just fall in his arms with his magnificence. We also saw then his parents' disapproval of white girls, and non-Indians in general. Howard was of a piece, if not worse, in the beginning. Maybe the plan is a makeover like with Howard. He changed quite a bit, but not entirely. Now he's funnier. The meerkat thing was great in "The Tenure Turbulence".

Alex didn't cause Leonard, Howard and Raj to go to HR, Sheldon did. He threw them under the bus to try and divert from his guilt. Sheldon's quite the coward, when cornered. He encouraged Penny to "break Leonard's heart" rather than stand up to Amy, I believe partly because his position was logically indefensible. Amy called him on that too. He betrayed both Penny and Leonard rather than be honest with Amy about his feelings, which of course he denies having. By the way, what really could be his objections? Amy worships him, and would be an improvement over Leonard at this point, as far as Sheldon is concerned. Leonard is likely to throw the Roommate Agreement out the next time Sheldon pisses him off. I think he's had enough, and is probably smart enough to realize that he and Penny will need more room than her apartment. I think in "The Spoiler Alert" he was making a snap decision and wanted to move out RIGHT NOW. They never got far enough to consider a bigger place, or Leonard getting his own.place. He didn't want to have anything to do with Sheldon at that time. Leonard is definitely in transition.

I really do think that part of the reason Leonard was put on a boat is that it clears air time to explore Sheldon, Amy and Penny. The first two got some work to do, and Sheldon is going to be faced with having to deal with life without Leonard for four months. How is he going to get to work? I suspect that a series of confrontations with Amy will be the theme of the fall. 

• Like 2

The sad thing regarding Raj's case that I think the writers really don't realize just how much of douche they've made him.

I see the next step in Leonard and Penny's relationship is co-habitation. The writers are taking these two through the typical romantic comedy checklist when it comes to most couples. They are simply executing it in the style that suites these characters and show.

Penny IMO will move in with Leonard because having her be there more than she already is will drive Sheldon even more crazy and that's were the comedy will most likely be. I could see Amy moving into Penny's old apartment, that way she can be closer to Sheldon which will at least in part satisfy her and at the same time give Sheldon the distance he still wants.

This offers enough of major change in dynamic to breath some new life in the show without completely taking away the mainstay element of Leonard/Sheldon's apartment being the place were most of the action happens.

Leonard is likely to throw the Roommate Agreement out the next time Sheldon pisses him off. I think he's had enough, and is probably smart enough to realize that he and Penny will need more room than her apartment. I think in "The Spoiler Alert" he was making a snap decision and wanted to move out RIGHT NOW. They never got far enough to consider a bigger place, or Leonard getting his own.place. He didn't want to have anything to do with Sheldon at that time. Leonard is definitely in transition.

Everything you've mentioned here makes complete sense. The problem is that this is a sitcom. Sitcom's tend to ignore logic when logic dictates that a major change/upheaval should realistically take/or start taking place. Leonard and Sheldon's apartment is the centerpiece location of the show. Most of the major events take place there and it's the central location where all the characters congregate. The writers aren't going to give that up. Leonard and Sheldon are going to be living together until the very end of this program. The only question is whether or not the writers are going to at least try to change things up a little bit. Having Penny move in with Leonard could be one of those things.

Sure they might explore the idea of Sheldon having to do things on his own and find his way without Leonard, but it won't last. Whether the writers decide to have Leonard be back during the premiere or if they have him absent for a few like Howard, by the time he gets back, he be back in the apartment and things will be back to the status quo for the most part.

Edited by DPK
  • Like 2

I agree. As @chiara mentioned, the geography of the apartments and the staircase are a big part of the show. I've noticed since the VD episode that Penny and Leonard have spent A LOT of time in her place eating. They don't seem to do much else on camera there, but it has been stated he sleep there most nights. I believe it has upset the comedy potential of the larger guy's apartment, as they are simply not around Sheldon. Switching things up with Penny moving in with Leonard would up the comedy, and as you mentioned, open the door to have Amy become the drop-in neighbor. There would be a bit of a role reversal as now Sheldon's girlfriend would drop in unannounced. Maybe they would order less take-out, as Leonard and Penny seem to cook a lot. Howard is with Bernadette, so the old four guys and the chick next door dynamic is already shot.

Maybe having Leonard away for an episode or two will soften Sheldon up for Penny moving in. I suspect when Leonard comes back, Sheldon will be so relieved Leonard could probably dictate a new Roommate Agreement. That is unless Amy steps up and takes Leonard's place. That will be hard if she doesn't live there. Things will go back to centering around the old apartment. It is like a character in the show, just like in Friends. They didn't leave that apartment until the show finale.

• Like 2

Again I appear to have the minority opinion of where they would live. Their certainly not going to move out of the building. I agree with the idea that the apartment is a character on the show. Also as others  have observed Leonard and Penny have been eating in her apartment lately. That seems to be a hint of them living together. But if it is my theory is it will be at Penny's apartment. While logically as many of you guys have mentioned S/L's  apartment is bigger there two factors that I feel must be considered.

1. Sheldon- I think we could come up with many reasons and be all correct.

2. Penny- This is the major reason. Although Penny has borrowed money, used S/L's  Wi-Fi, and ate their food she likes her independence. For example it sounds like a silly question but how would they divide the rent. three ways, two ways since Leonard/Penny would be sharing a bedroom. In some ways I think she would be feel indebted to Sheldon and Leonard. I think if it was just Leonard it's would be OK. Also Leonard tried to move to Penny's already (hastily) and seems all right with that. I just don't think closet space is going to be an issue for any type of move. I also think if moving in is brought up again it's going to be by Penny and I just don't see her suggesting moving in with the guys.

I also think if moving in is brought up again it's going to be by Penny and I just don't see her suggesting moving in with the guys.

@Chrismo. I tend to agree Penny unlikely to move. I think it will stay as is, because it delays resolution of Penny & Leonard and they need to bump into Sheldon all the time to generate funny. If she commits she would insist on her own space and not to babysit Sheldon. They can't act like adults in their own space around him and they are not teenagers or college kids to share house.

Alex didn't cause Leonard, Howard and Raj to go to HR, Sheldon did.

@hamerman55. Maybe rather Alex precipitated it. The girls know Sheldon is an ass and they put up with it (marginally for Bernadette). The girls will remember that Alex kicked it off with the hitting on, that resulted in Sheldon throwing their men under a bus. No Alex, no bus. Vengeful females, so no Alex. They can't dump Sheldon.

And Howard was the opposite of Raj. Howard was creepy candy coating, Raj has been creepy centre. They both showed their colours when it mattered. Howard took a peanut for his buddy, Raj took his buddy's girl.

• Like 6

And Howard was the opposite of Raj. Howard was creepy candy coating, Raj has been creepy centre. They both showed their colours when it mattered. Howard took a peanut for his buddy, Raj took his buddy's girl.

Spot on! Best description ever, although technically Howard was hoping to get laid... still.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

Howard also has shown a lot of guts and, at times, humility. Let's face it, going into space on a Russian rocket with minimal training takes a lot of guts. They basically strapped him in and lit the candle. NASA wanted his telescope on the ISS, and that was the news. The survival training was just harassment at this point. We know what happens when a rocket goes bad. It made sense in the '60's, but in the 21st century, we'll rescue astronauts in a couple of hours easy, if they aren't burnt up.

He really stepped up for Bernadette too, after Raj spilled the beans about Howard's past. It was a good thing it came out then, as it cleared the air between him and Bernadette. I don't blame Raj for this as that's sort of normal talk at a bachelor party. He had won over Penny as a friend the year before, as Penny pointed out in the hospital to Priya. Clearly his behavior since meeting Bernadette led to some reassessment of his character by someone who knew him as a douche.

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 2

I am new to this forum.  I seem to have gotten completely caught up in the show and the Leonard and Penny relationship.  We all know it's only a TV show but it's fun to give the characters life.

I have been pulling for Leonard and Penny - I guess the nerd in me makes me hope Leonard wins the heart of the beautiful Penny.  But here's my problem with that happily ever after - Penny just isn't that nice to Leonard.  Watching the reruns there are plenty of examples where it seems she loves to point out his faults.  And she has the nerve to totally dismiss the possibility that Leonard could dump her someday.  And Leonard, to his own detriment, for wont of a better word,  totally grovels before her.  And he seems to always say stuff that suggests all he wants from her is sex.  In one episode he confesses that when they were dating he agreed to do all kinds of activities with her, things he hated, just to get sex.  So Leonard isn't faultless - would it have killed him to say he did those things because she wanted to and he cared about her?

In my view, unless Penny undergoes a real change of character and finally sees past Leonard's nerdy ways and finally accepts him for who he is, instead of her quest to change him to "cool", it just ain't gonna work.  Frankly, at this point, although we don't know that much about Alex yet, I think that relationship has some real potential.  Why?  Beyond that fact that she is attractive and smart, she is pursuing and attracted to Leonard.  She's hitting on him.  When did Penny ever hit on Leonard.  It's like the old story in dating:  I don't really want you but I don't want anyone to want you either.  Penny has some nerve getting upset when she saw Alex showing interest and Leonard liking it.  And with Penny, jeez, get to AA, will you?  

I loved Sheldon's comment at the Cheesecake Factory in one episode when he asked Penny to apologize to Leonard.  Sheldon's comment said she really owed it to Leonard given all of her transgressions.  AMEN!  The rest of the crew all have real jobs.  Even Howard, for all his creepy comments sometimes, got married and even went to the International Space Station.  They are all way past Penny in a lot of ways.

I'd still like to see Penny and Leonard do the happily ever after (I am a total sucker for that fairy tale, sadly), but Penny's really coming up short in my book.  Of all the characters in the show, frankly she's got the most baggage of all of them.

• Like 1

Leonard is likely to throw the Roommate Agreement out the next time Sheldon pisses him off. I think he's had enough, and is probably smart enough to realize that he and Penny will need more room than her apartment. I think in "The Spoiler Alert" he was making a snap decision and wanted to move out RIGHT NOW. They never got far enough to consider a bigger place, or Leonard getting his own.place. He didn't want to have anything to do with Sheldon at that time. Leonard is definitely in transition.

I really do think that part of the reason Leonard was put on a boat is that it clears air time to explore Sheldon, Amy and Penny. The first two got some work to do, and Sheldon is going to be faced with having to deal with life without Leonard for four months. How is he going to get to work? I suspect that a series of confrontations with Amy will be the theme of the fall. 

I would love to hear the writer's conferences about how to go forward with L/P's living arrangements in the future. As @DPK put it,TPTB are limited in what they can do with the future because of that iconic living room set in L/S apartment. It truly is a character in the show and it in a way restricts how much growth and development the characters can have.

Realistically, Leonard is only there with Sheldon, after 10 years, because Penny is next door. No way would he tolerate a major pain in the ass like Sheldon with out that incentive. Now that he will be gone for four months TPTB will most likely debate what will be his choice of  living arrangements in the future. Even for a sitcom, the status quote is getting to be a stretch and there maybe signals that they are exploring changes for season seven:

1. Leonard has been living as an indentured servant with Sheldon for 10 years now. We are talking about two straight men in their 30's who make more than enough money (we presume) to afford places of their own. I know Leonard feels a debt of gratitude to Sheldon for not ratting him out about destroying the elevator but Sheldon has done more them enough damaging things to Leonard to call this even.

2. "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" was the writers attempt to justify why they have not gone the logical route of having the couples live in the two apartments. Penny has to be prepared and Sheldon is, well, Sheldon. Still they have also shown the frustration of Leonard and Amy and demonstrated that all it takes is another blowup between L/S to bring this to a boil once again.

3. Leonard's career is showing signs of blossoming. The Hawking's Expedition and the tenure opening which is unresolved, foreshadows the possibility of Leonard becoming financially able to get his own place, with or without Penny moving in right away. If TPTB go this way the question will be where would he go. The easiest choice would be a two bedroom apartment in the building. Or they could have him look for a house for a year and move in for season 8. Either way, though this is logical, this means a new set and the problem of how do you get Sheldon involved in the at home stories if Leonard moves away from the building. And if Penny moves with Leonard (maybe as his wife in season 8) who does Sheldon have left to irritate. That's a big part of the show and Sheldon has no friends but Amy, if Leonard leaves so do all his friends.

Still, having Leonard babysitting Sheldon for 10 seasons, while being abused along the way, would move this show into the ridiculous domain. Leonard and Penny's characters are at a crossroads because of the "apartment" and it will be interesting to see how the writers resolve the problem. The absurd "Friends" solution of having Ross and Rachel and their baby live in an apartment as platonic roomates is one way how NOT to do it.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

I would love to hear the writer's conferences about how to go forward with L/P's living arrangements in the future. As @DPK put it,TPTB are limited in what they can do with the future because of that iconic living room set in L/S apartment. It truly is a character in the show and it in a way restricts how much growth and development the characters can have.

Realistically, Leonard is only there with Sheldon, after 10 years, because Penny is next door. No way would he tolerate a major pain in the ass like Sheldon with out that incentive. Now that he will be gone for four months TPTB will most likely debate what will be his choice of living arrangements in the future. Even for a sitcom, the status quote is getting to be a stretch and there maybe signals that they are exploring changes for season seven:

1. Leonard has been living as an indentured servant with Sheldon for 10 years now. We are talking about two straight men in their 30's who make more than enough money (we presume) to afford places of their own. I know Leonard feels a debt of gratitude to Sheldon for not ratting him out about destroying the elevator but Sheldon has done more them enough damaging things to Leonard to call this even.

2. "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" was the writers attempt to justify why they have not gone the logical route of having the couples live in the two apartments. Penny has to be prepared and Sheldon is, well, Sheldon. Still they have also shown the frustration of Leonard and Amy and demonstrated that all it takes is another blowup between L/S to bring this to a boil once again.

3. Leonard's career is showing signs of blossoming. The Hawking's Expedition and the tenure opening which is unresolved, foreshadows the possibility of Leonard becoming financially able to get his own place, with or without Penny moving in right away. If TPTB go this way the question will be where would he go. The easiest choice would be a two bedroom apartment in the building. Or they could have him look for a house for a year and move in for season 8. Either way, though this is logical, this means a new set and the problem of how do you get Sheldon involved in the at home stories if Leonard moves away from the building. And if Penny moves with Leonard (maybe as his wife in season 8) who does Sheldon have left to irritate. That's a big part of the show and Sheldon has no friends but Amy, if Leonard leaves so do all his friends.

Still, having Leonard babysitting Sheldon for 10 seasons, while being abused along the way, would move this show into the ridiculous domain. Leonard and Penny's characters are at a crossroads because of the "apartment" and it will be interesting to see how the writers resolve the problem. The absurd "Friends" solution of having Ross and Rachel and their baby live in an apartment as platonic roomates is one way how NOT to do it.

ER had a missile I think to get a new set

One of our soaps blew up the building with a gas explosion

Maybe they can have an asbestos scare.

And what you said. I have nothin', really.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2