Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

In my opinion, she is undoubtedly committed and devoted to Leonard. Her way of showing it may not be spectacular (I doubt she will cry her eyes out when he has to leave for the North Sea, yet it does not mean she will not be terribly sad to be separated from him) but it is there, hidden behind the little jokes, pursed lips and cocked eyebrows. 

Wish I could say I agree with this.  Maybe the season finale will help me get there and see it.  So here is hoping that it all works out.

• Like 1

So from the latest episode it looks like Penny did not try the '101 science experiments for kids' gift from Leonard :p

While watching te episode I was like Penny what happen to the science kit that Leonard gave you?

@ArmyGirl, hello ! ;)

I can relate to your observations but I admit I do not share your interpretation.

I believe it is not entirely fair to compare the ways Penny behave with Leonard and Sheldon for the latter is a child with a temper and an eye on world domination. Penny takes care of Sheldon in the same way Leonard does because Shelly is a kid who demands to be paid attention to. Now, would it be healthier for them to realise once and for all Dr Cooper is actually an adult who should be able to wipe his own bottom ? Hell to the yes. However, it is not how they see it for the moment so they placate him. Penny being extra careful when cooking for Sheldon does not prove she loves him more than she does Leonard; it just shows that she'd rather not have to deal with a cranky Sheldon.

Penny's reaction to the VD date, well... She explained herself. It may have sounded weird but there was some logic to her madness. I agree that Leonard did put a lot of effort into the date and it was a shame it did not pan out as he had planned. Nevertheless, they ended the evening in an extremely satisfactory way, I believe. Furthermore, and it is a more general observation, Lenny is just not a "romantic" relationship. Not in the conventional sense, that is. Every time Leonard has tried to pull a Mr Darcy on Penny, it has failed miserably, because it is just not who they are. Roses, candles, love letters and long walks on the beach... That's not for them. They are about cryogenised snowflakes, Star Trek transporters, sex in the lab and impromptu mani-pedis. Weird, I know, but somehow more touching. 

As for Leonard's departure, I believe Penny will be shown to be sad and missing him (she will be seen wearing his gift). However, anything beyond that would irritate me, I have to admit.

Let's be real : Leonard is not leaving to join the army. He is going on a four-month scientific excursion with loads of other scientists. We know he will come back. So does he and so does Penny. We even all know when he will come back. So, while missing him is a perfectly understandable reaction, going as far as being demonstrably distressed might be a tad overdramatic. Furthermore, and perhaps even more importantly, this trip is an amazing opportunity for Leonard. Yes, him leaving for a long-ish period of time sucks but the chance he is being given is a "once in a lifetime" sort of deal. I would be much more disappointed in Penny if she made him feel bad for going by being openly sad in front of him than if she "forgot" to cry.

She should (and hopefully will) be elated for him ! Her man's intellectual worth is being acknowledged by the single most iconic living scientist; this is cause for celebration, not despair. 

Amy and Bernadette vs. Penny... Well, that is TBBT's unwritten rule of thumb : people with glasses are more emotionally mature than their non-bespectacled counterparts/lovers. So Penny's girlfriends are bound to be the "Leonards" in their relationships while Penny herself in on the "Howard/Sheldon" team aka the team of those who have all the romantic maturity of six-year-olds dizzy on lemonade.

Now, all Raj has to do is find a girl with severe myopia and his lonely days will be officially over !

I understand the desire to see Penny open up some more. I even agree with it to a certain extent. But we have to acknowledge that she has been working on it and made remarkable progress in this regard. I think the writers are making her go through a growth process that will end with her being much more comfortable with her emotions and willing to share them. 

However, she will never be as emotional as Leonard and a good thing it is too, in my opinion. One Leonard is delightfully sweet; two would make my teeth rot just looking at them. For the sake of balance, there needs to be some sour in there and Penny fits the bill. They complement and "fix" each other : he mellows her down; she toughens him up. They are good together for that reason, I feel. 

• Like 6

You don't know how much I want this to be true.  I need this in order to keep supporting my ship and Lenny 2.0 i letting me down. I want Leonard to have someone that truly loves him and wants to be with him. 

Seat 42F has pictures from the final episode. Maybe that will give you hope.

It seems there are two camps of thought here - those that are trying to find some meager evidence that Penny is stepping up to the plate in the relationship and those that wish it were true but can't see it.  Chiara is making a noble effort to convince us it's true, but it's a hard case to make.

I guess I'm in the second group.  And, frankly, if I'd been Leonard in that Valentine's Day fiasco, I would NOT have been nearly as understanding after they got home.  That stuff she said about why can't she have the happy ending - Leonard was freakin' a saint for how he withstood that.  After all the time they've been friends or more, Penny's attitude was totally unacceptable.  Had one of those evenings with former girlfriend on New Year's Eve...and that was our last date.

I hate to say it, but as the writers have constructed Penny, I don't know how this can end well.  It's tempting to think that Alex is a better match for Leonard (is she still in the story line somewhere?).  Fish or cut bait, Penelope!

Hey :) I don't think I have actually posted on here before, I usually just lurk and honestly some of the insights that a lot of you people here have into the Lenny relationship is just remarkable. I just wanted to give my two cents on what @armygirl has just posted up.

Although I completely respect your opinion, I just can't find it in myself to agree with what you are saying. Sure I understand that Penny is nowhere near as open with her emotions as Leonard, but I think Penny realizes that and is trying to work on it. Being completely open and honest with someone is hard for some people. It is an issue the writers have given her, brought about possibly from her spectacularly messed up relationship with Kurt.

She obviously finds this kind of thing hard, proven by the fact it took her so long to tell Leonard she loved him, but she is trying to work on it because of how much she cares for him.

Now I want to give my thoughts on some of the points you made, first one being about how she used to light up when talking to Leonard the first time around and now doesn't. I agree that at the beginning of season 6 she may have been a little, to use her words, 'bored', but I would like to simply direct you to episode 05 and if you tell me then that she doesn't 'light up' then I am afraid there is no hope! haha I also struggle to think of an episode from this series where she looks bored talking to him, in every scene where the two of them are together, be it walking up the stairs or having dinner, she is focused on him, happy and making jokes, I don't see her ever being disinterested in what he has to say to her.

Next point; she showed more 'emotion' over the idea of shamy having sex, than over Leonard? The emotion she showed here is excitement and surprise, are you trying to say she doesn't get excited over Leonard? Once again I point you to the lab scene. haha I would say she got very excited over him in that episode!

You can't find any open emotion from Penny in Lenny 2.0? I think the scene where she told him she loved him was pretty open, as well as the valentines day ep where she tells him she is afraid of commitment and then the one where she tells him she is passionate about him! I don't think we can get much more open than that, especially from someone who we have established is in her character to shut down and hide how she feels.

I agree that Penny could have showed more enthusiasm about the whole Valentines day thing, but I believe she did try. Before she realized her ex was in the building she seemed to be pretty happy with her evening, if it were not for him being there, I believe she would have had a good time. But it turned out fine in the end anyway, because Leonard helped her with her commitment issues by giving her responsibility of the marriage proposal, which she happily accepted. If she didn't love and want to be with him, why would she accept this responsibility?

I guess overall I just don't like that you assume it is so easy for everyone to show the kind of open emotion that Leonard does. Penny has her issues, just like the rest of the guys do and it shows in her inability to show raw emotion, but the writers have shown her slowly getting over these issues and I think that ep 21 shows that perfectly. She's passionate about him, what else could you want?

Phew! I'm glad to get that off my chest! haha I'm sorry if this reads as a jumbled mess, my head tends to jump from one point to the other and sometimes it makes no sense to anyone but me! Possibly one of the reasons I tend to stay away from posting! Also, I tend to go on and on, as I see I have done here!

Anyway, to @armygirl, I hope you don't take anything I have said here the wrong way and think I am attacking what your opinion or anything like that, like I said I respect what you believe, I just wanted to give my reasoning on why I think it is completely wrong! :p haha

In my opinion they are stronger in this series than they have ever been before and that is the sentiment I will end this post on! :)

• Like 5

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this thread and i got to say, i am impressed with all the well thought discussions here. my opinion with the whole leonard/penny scenario is that it seems that a lot of people don't understand that their relationship is supposed to be a work and progress and that people shouldnt expect them to both be perfect over night. i mean with the progress they've made this season, there isn't too much reason for me to complain. in the past, the two of them only seemed to share a connection sexually, and lacked chemistry outside of that. of course i've always cheered for this couple, but in the first relationship, there always seemed to be something missing. however, that hasnt been the case in their 2nd relationship. they've seemed to really adress every issue they've had in their 1st relationship. in episode 5, penny learned to appreciate what leonard does and put in real effort in the relationship. it was truly a beautiful episode, because i think it was the first time penny felt passionate about leonard and may have been the first sign that she really loved leonard. episode 8 adressed whether penny was just with leonard till something better came along. that was solved when penny was mad at the pure fact that leonard would think that, and when she told leonard she loved him. episode 12 in my opinion was probably the most/if not the most important step in their relationship, because it was the first time that the relationship was set on equal footing due to penny's insecurities. i think it was also the first time that both leonard and penny realized this as well, and made their relationship stronger. one of the biggest hurdles in the l/p relationship was that it was unbalanced, so i think this episode fixed that and may have reinforced the fact that penny would have to in effort in her relationship with leonard. episodes 15 and 16 were important because it shows that penny clearly does envision a future with leonard, however still needs some time to prepare for a future of marriage and being together forever. i think part of this unreadiness is caused by her past relationships and the fact that she grew up dating men that she knew weren't going to be husband material. this her first real relationship not counting kurt, so it's only natural that she may not be sure how to approach it, and may want more time to get comfortable with the relationship. episode 6 addressed an issue of penny's that i feel hasnt come up enough in the series, which is penny feeling that she wasn't good enough for leonard. it could explain why she was hesitant about dating him, why she broke up with him, and why she has an issue with committment. episode 21 addresses this to some degree too with better results, however, i believe that all the issues that were dealt with above prove that l/p are stable and are vitually impossible to break up. also i saw a comment above about how l/p dont have a connection outside of feeling passionate about each other/being with each other. to some degree i agree with that. i mean they obviously like different things and are different people. however, i've also noticed that both of them have warmed up to the other person's activities and have enjoyed taking part in them, like penny at the lab, penny with the comic books, or leonard at the acting thing. anyways i feel leonard and penny have made great progress this year, and that is what people need to remember. i know that they are far from being the perfect couple, but i am impressed with all the progress they have made this year. BTW sorry for the long post and sloppy sentences. i am a new member :-)

• Like 6

I think that a reasonable explanation for Leonard and Penny 2.0 being different is that, for Penny, this time it is for real and for keeps. Lenny 1.0 was a fling to her, while it was going on. It turned into a classic case of not appreciating what she had. I agree with Chiara that Penny is being careful because she's scared. I think she's scared of how important Leonard is to her, of messing things up again, of how sad she was separated from Leonard, of being pushed into marriage, and how they are going to deal with Sheldon as Lenny takes the next steps. She's losing control of her life as she used to know it, because of Leonard, and her ties to these strange, wonderful people. She's not a scientific genius and will never be one, so she will always be an outsider in some respects. As she begins to accept these changes as OK, she seems to open up, and get more affectionate. Consider how she's been since the VD episode. At the dinner parties, she was almost constantly touching Leonard. In the last episode, she not only told Leonard she loved him, straight up, on her own and with no trigger, she told him he was her passion. Apparently Leonard is the only thing she really is intense about, and that is huge. Nothing prompted this except her own need to share her epiphany with Leonard. This is a more mature Penny, who has some serious emotional scars due to her mishandling things with Leonard the first time. Leonard hasn't had to come as far, as he's always wanted her for his wife. He's just learned to manage the relationship better, and stand up to her when needed.

• Like 5

Hi Chrismo,

I don't understand or know what Seat 42F is.  Help, PLEASE.

There is a website www.seat42f.com that has photos of upcoming episodes for many tv shows including big bang. (Since you are on the spoiler I'm guessing who know whats going to happen) They have 9 photos of the finale.

There is a website www.seat42f.com that has photos of upcoming episodes for many tv shows including big bang. (Since you are on the spoiler I'm guessing who know whats going to happen) They have 9 photos of the finale.

Wow. In some sense this looks like "someone went back in time, stepped on a butterfly and changed the course of human events". Parallels and do-overs. It will be interesting to map 1.0 to 2.0.

And clearing of decks.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

@guitars1964. that they got over VD shows how solid they are. Candy coating not important, core is. I see substance, not superficiality.

But i do miss the besottement.

I suspect we will get some of this when Leonard returns. They will have time to really miss each other. At least Leonard should be really busy doing something engrossing, but life will go on for Penny, without Leonard for a while. If she's afraid of what her life would be like without him before the North Sea, can you imagine how she'll feel dreading it with him leaving. While she's not losing him relationship wise, the separation will be hard. I suspect she will be a trouper, and keep a bold front up for him, but this is likely to be a difficult summer for our Penny.

• Like 1

The writers definitely had Penny and Leonard acting like a couple in a strong relationship.

I agree. They've done a great job with them this season. At first, I had no idea what they were gonna do with them this season especially with the rocky beginning of the season. However they have impressed me this season and proved me wrong when I almost gave up on them. But what I don't get why the writers felt the need to completely reset l/p this season to show their growth and totally ignore their progress from the other seasons even though it was somewhat less noticeable.
  • Like 1

Following up on @chiara's post 2003, I think in retrospect the failed Valentine's date was actually a success. If they had a normal evening of dinner and such, they would have gone back to Penny's place and almost certainly had sex. Also certainly they would not have talked about anything significant. They would have had a nice evening, as Leonard had hoped, but no more. By Penny acting out, Leonard got angry enough to criticize her behavior, and as a result, a major problem in the relationship was maturely addressed. Penny is now significantly more relaxed and affectionate around Leonard. They discussed marriage honestly, and I feel they are now in a "pre-engaged" state. Penny agreed that she would eventually accept Leonard's proposal, and for a variety of reasons, is scared that she will do so. Leonard took the fear away by his promise, and the first thing Penny does in the relationship driver's seat is upgrade the commitment of the relationship. Penny asking Leonard to be her Valentine is a big deal to her. I don't think she played it up to mess with Leonard (well maybe a little) but she upgraded the relationship. Clearly she wants things to move forward eventually to the altar, just on her timetable.

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 2

I have faith in the writers. My comments reflect only nostalgia, as I'm sure they will have their moments in the future. That they keep coming back to each other resonates for me, it just makes sense that they can ride over little bumps like VD, and that four months absence after 6 years of dancing around is going to be a doddle. And in s7 it seems highly plausible to me that they won't be thrown any interpersonal problems. They have been through every permutation of those, including ( not quite) infidelity, financial stress, familial stress, alcohol problems ( ish) and a dependent child man. All those things did not break them and the roommate appears to be getting along nicely.

how far they jump or progress them after the break will be interesting too. I can imagine it as a fresh start, but there has to be continuity.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I think in the finale Penny will be shown in a favorable light. People have doubts and reading the taping reports at times doesn't help. As in last night episode IMO there was no way you could have written on paper the Shamy scene being that dramatic. Looking at Amy almost made me cry. You probably won't get a moment quite like that from Penny but I have a feeling the Penny/Raj scene will show how much Penny will miss Leonard.

• Like 3

I think in the finale Penny will be shown in a favorable light. People have doubts and reading the taping reports at times doesn't help. As in last night episode IMO there was no way you could have written on paper the Shamy scene being that dramatic. Looking at Amy almost made me cry. You probably won't get a moment quite like that from Penny but I have a feeling the Penny/Raj scene will show how much Penny will miss Leonard.

I hope you are right about the finale. It is true that the actors can make or break a scene and Kaley has hit some home runs this season so we may get something really good next week, I'm hoping.

I was thinking, would it be to dramatic for the first season 7 episode for Leonard's ship to be late coming into port and having no comunications, to make Penny reevaluate her feelings for him, since there is a slight chance he is not coming back. Of course he does.

• Like 2

I hope you are right about the finale. It is true that the actors can make or break a scene and Kaley has hit some home runs this season so we may get something really good next week, I'm hoping.

You (and others) sound like Chicago sports fan. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

You (and others) sound like Chicago sports fan. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Hey you can't blame L/P fans for being a little cautious, afterall we have had the rug pulled from under us a few time with this relationship.

• Like 5

Hey you can't blame L/P fans for being a little cautious, afterall we have had the rug pulled from under us a few time with this relationship.

I understand what you mean. Though the finale I think will be a feel good one