Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

Or, dare I say,  a New York Jets fan.  Might be worse than being a Cubs fan.

Beware the goat.

At the Jets won the Super Bowl in the last 100 years. Or as the owner of the Cubs a goats head

You (and others) sound like Chicago sports fan. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Yeah, you got that right. Story of my life. My favorite football team is the Buffalo Bills, so can you blame me.

• Like 1

You (and others) sound like Chicago sports fan. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

I resemble that remark. Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks. Football is the Packers( it's a weird thing where I was raised in Wisconsin, but near Chicago)

I'm off to watch 14 yo girls play netball in 60 minutes. A sport like no other. I have a daughter playing it, which makes this paragraph less creepy.

Other than that I'm sadly leonardish. But Leonard could probably sensor up the helmets in us football and measure the forces at impact. The pro players take big hits. Is about all I know of us football. :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall

me to (wide right :icon_mad: )

I never got over Doug Flutie leaving the team. That's how bad I am.

Probably part of the reason I have a pessimistic outlook about L/P and the writers plans for them. It reminds me too much of a Buffalo Bills season.

• Like 1

I never got over Doug Flutie leaving the team. That's how bad I am.

Probably part of the reason I have a pessimistic outlook about L/P and the writers plans for them. It reminds me too much of a Buffalo Bills season.

The 69 Cubs were up by 9 games in mid-end of August. They lost first place the beginning of September and finished 9 out. Fortunately, I don't think L/P we be that bad.

The 69 Cubs were up by 9 games in mid-end of August. They lost first place the beginning of September and finished 9 out. Fortunately, I don't think L/P we be that bad.

I lived in western suburbs of Chicago back then - I remember that big collapse.  In case of L&P, I guess having writers determine their fate (and they don't want to turn off the TV viewers) gives us more reason for hope (unlike Cubs and NY Jets).

Well if they listen to logic, this season had great numbers, plus it happened when the L/P relationship got stronger, so logic would infer that maybe the two are related.

• Like 3

I lived in western suburbs of Chicago back then - I remember that big collapse.

I lived in Kenosha WI at the time. So we were pretty close to each other, distance wise.

Edited by Tensor

I'm worried about the possibility of Leonard coming back, having hooked up with one of the other scientists on the ship (Alex writ large) just to mess with the relationship (Hyde and the Stripper).  We know that L/P will eventually get back together, but it would string things out for another year.

They would have to have Leonard cheat on Penny. Which would require an almost complete change in his character. If he couldn't go full out cheating mode ( and was even ashamed of kissing Alice) even with Priya, there's no way they could realistically have him cheat on Penny, as his character is now written.

I'm with Tensor on this.  Obviously, the writers can do what they want, but to suddenly have one of the characters behave completely differently would be difficult to explain to the audience.  Leonard has had his sights fixed on Penny since the beginning, and he's too nice to cheat.  As long as Penny stays away from the moonshine (which has gotten her into regret with one night stands before), hopefully she won't stray during Leonard's absence.   If my recollection of past episodes serves me correctly, Penny has had at least one extended period of abstinence, so hopefully she will manage to be "faithful" until her man returns.  

Although I have the general outline of the season finale, I am looking forward to how the story line works out this Thursday.

After that, I will focus on finishing my chronological trip through all the prior seasons on DVD.  Finishing Season 3 right now.  Only really got into TBBT early Season 6, and, as we all know, watching the syndicated shows on TBS out of order gets confusing in terms of continuity.

This is my first time to post a comment and like Guiters1964 I did not get into watch TBBT until this season.  However, after seeing some of previous episodes on DVD I have to agree with Tensor.  To have Leonard cheat on Penny would go against the nature of the guy that they have built over the last several years. 

You do make a very good point and I agree that it would be very nice to see Penny and Leonard "fall in love", so to speak, with the same thing. It definitely is something that season 7 could bring to the table to make the relationship even more stable. 

To be honest, I believe the way in which the writers have had Penny and Leonard indulge each other this season shows that this may very well be where this is all heading for, Buffy excepted, Penny has been shown to like what she has been doing with/for Leonard and vice versa. 

So while a physics textbook is not something she would read or even look at if she were not in a relationship with a scientist, Penny has developped a sincere (though limited) interest for what Leonard does. She did not fake enthusiasm in the lab (6.05) : she was genuinely taken in by what her boyfriend was saying. And in last Thursday's episode, she was equally curious about Pr Proton's experiments. Admittedly, as you said, Penny's forays into the scientific world always start out as indulgences to Leonard. Nevertheless, she does seem to take personal pleasure from them, and not just "pleasure by proxy" as it would be if she were merely humouring her boyfriend.

In the same vein but a different area, Penny's emotional openness of late is also a form of "indulgence gone right" : she has always known that Leonard is a pretty emotional person and wishes for her to be too, so since 6.05-ish, she has been trying to adapt, to talk more, to answer when he asks about her feelings. But in The Closure Alternative, she opened up to him not just because she knew it would please him but also (and perhaps mainly) because she wanted to. She even initiated the conversation !

The same logic applies to Leonard going to see her in A Streetcar Named Desire. From what we know, a night at the theatre is not his definition of a great evening. He clearly went because the woman he loves was in it. Yet, he ended up enjoying himself : not because it pleased Penny but because... He simply liked it. 

As hamerman55 wrote, there is a little something in there that goes further than mere mutual humouring. Penny is slowly discovering that she is capable of liking what Leonard likes : granted, she will never like it as much as he does but she can actually take pleasure from the same things as him. And Leonard is going through the same process. I believe we have passed the "if you like it, fine, I'll do it" point and are currently creeping towards the "you like it and, oh surprise, I actually kind of like it too" goalpost. The pace is a bit glacial, that much is true, but the progress is still there. 

If the writers do not change their minds during the summer hiatus, this trend should become more visible next season. 

You are right.  She seemed to be genuinely interested in what Professor Proton was doing.  Also, both she and Leonard seemed to be genuinely concerned with the hardships that he had struggled with.  What if they were to work together to at least get the scientific community at Cal Tech to honor Prof. Proton's contribution to science education. 

We are assuming girls will be on some quantum gravity research vessel in the middle of the North Sea. That would possibly compete with Penny. And that Leonard would cheat on anyone. Priya treated him like dirt, and he couldn't bring himself to cheat on her. If he cheats on her at this point, I will stop watching the show as the writers will have gone insane.

What is far more likely to happen is that Penny will cripple him while turning her bed into splinters when he gets back.

• Like 3

We are assuming girls will be on some quantum gravity research vessel in the middle of the North Sea. That would possibly compete with Penny. And that Leonard would cheat on anyone. Priya treated him like dirt, and he couldn't bring himself to cheat on her. If he cheats on her at this point, I will stop watching the show as the writers will have gone insane.

What is far more likely to happen is that Penny will cripple him while turning her bed into splinters when he gets back.

Re: Your proposed Leonard's return - do they need a stunt double? :>)

If my recollection of past episodes serves me correctly, Penny has had at least one extended period of abstinence,

What's interesting, is that, during the run of the show, Penny's had a longer period of abstinence than Leonard has. She may have gone two years without having sex, which may explain the battery operated chew toy ;). The only shown possibilities are Zack (in The Justice League Recombination) and Amy and Bernadette taking her out (in The Toast Derivation). But, there was never any confirmation that she actually slept with anyone. Even allowing for those two, she still would have gone 15 months between The Toast Derivation in season four and The Launch Acceleration in season 5. Ironically, the closest they show her to having sex is with the aborted attempt, with Leonard, in The Love Car Displacement.

Meanwhile, during that time, Leonard had Joy (he accepted a date to a wedding with her because she said she would probably be giving it away, although, sex is implied, not confirmed), Priya (pre dating), Mrs. Latham, and then started dating Priya. There was almost a year between Priya and The Launch Acceleration. Going back earlier, Between The Hamburger Postulate (Leslie season 1) and The Lizard-Spock Expansion (Stephanie season 2) was 13 months. Then next time for Leonard was 10 months later with Penny in The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation (Season 3). With six months between The Lunar Excitation and Joy.

Interestingly, They both were celibate for all of season five, until the second to last episode (The Launch Acceleration). Although Leonard did start in with Alice before saying he couldn't go through with it.

so hopefully she will manage to be "faithful" until her man returns.

Well, again, she still has her battery operated dog chew toy.  

After that, I will focus on finishing my chronological trip through all the prior seasons on DVD.  Finishing Season 3 right now.  Only really got into TBBT early Season 6, and, as we all know, watching the syndicated shows on TBS out of order gets confusing in terms of continuity.

Our local station here runs them in order, starting over after The Countdown Reflection.

According to my wife, probably not. She's seen the video for the play "The Little Dog Laughed", with Johnny in it. As a heads up, NSFW due to full frontal.

They did destroy one bed in Leonard and Penny 1.0. Apart from one sort of snarky comment by Penny which really seemed out of place, there have been no complaints regarding Dr. Hofstadter's abilities in the bedroom. As @tensor has noted, Penny has been able to handle abstinence while basically waiting for Leonard. Four months of abstinence is nothing for either of them, especially since they are in a committed relationship now. It will be interesting to see if Penny ups the stakes on Thursday.

On reflection,In terms of storytelling I don't think they need to replay any breakup. I have every expectation that the new story will be along the lines of "now you have this, what are you going to do with it". "it" being the stable relationship.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I'm worried about the possibility of Leonard coming back, having hooked up with one of the other scientists on the ship (Alex writ large) just to mess with the relationship (Hyde and the Stripper).  We know that L/P will eventually get back together, but it would string things out for another year.

Hi Eirwinrommel,

I am more concern with Penny getting drunk and ending up in bed with someone else.  Penny needs to STOP drinking so much.  I know some will said she doesn't drink that much, I would have to disagree.  After the Raj/Penny crap, I just don't trust Penny when she drinks and Leonard isn't around.

As for Leonard hooking up with someone else, I don't see Leonard coming back with another woman, he has been waiting on Penny forever, also I think he will be to busy to really met anyone and strike up a new relationship with said person.

• Like 1

I'm not saying I think it's likely. It's just that I can see the writers doing that to string things out for another year. For some reason they like to screw around with L/P and not let them move forward. I hope they don't, but I wouldn't put it past them.