Leonard And Penny Shippers Thread (Possible Spoilers)

C-Trayne

I don't know about you guys but for me the most horrible thing Penny has done was in season 3 finale....

I had no problem with her coming to Leonard and sleeping with him.....but the things happened after that made her look like an insensitive bitch as she shows no affection or sympathy towards Leonard whom she clearly hurt ( and also the sole reason of her breaking up with him was to not lead him on and here she does the exact thing and does not care)

and Leonard with whom the sympathy should have been was made to look like mousy figure of fun with all the leslie and the drinking thing....

So result of the episode : Penny looks like an insensitive bitch and Leonard looks like a completely pathetic wimp considering the fact that he started being friends with Penny again (there was no nothing show what happened between 3-23 and 4-01 so I assume they went straight back to being friends with Penny never apologizing)

I agree. You reference 3-23 and 4-1. 3-23 was the first episode Amy was on. During 4-1 Penny found out for the first time about the Shamy. I believe Leonard told her that Amy had been Sheldon's "girl" friend for 4 months. My point is I guess it's up to the viewer if L/P had any discussion about what had happened. They almost made it sound like Penny wasn't around that much in the prior 4 months?

Hi Tensor,

First let me say....can't get the quotes to work right, so bear with me.

As for Cole - I think we all got that he was kind of Interested in Penny.  Penny attitude about the sitiuation also had you questioning if she knew he was interested in her and just ignoring it.  Penny knows she get hits on all the time with Leonard standing right beside her, yet it didn't bother her until Leonard did something stupid ie tellng Cole that Penny's boyfriend was in a game.

Why not Sheldon? - I can ask the same question why NOT Penny.  So Sheldon is the one to look but Penny is support to care about Leonard and may even had feeling for him.  Why leave that info hanging out there.

Depend on the circumstamnces - Sure.  I don't believe for a minute that Penny wouldn't be upset or even angry if the shoe wasn't on the other foot. I believe that if the same situation took place with Leonard and a woman, Penny would want to know.

Unfair to Penny?! - How is that unfair to Penny?  Penny isn't the one that had her heart stomp on. Yes, I do believe Penny would have dumped Leonard without Wheaton input. Penny was looking for a way out once Leonard said ILY to her and Wheaton in my opinion gave her another reason to do it.  How long was Penny upset after dumping Leonard? How often did you see her having a hard time after she dumped Leonard?

Penny/Raj - So where did the 'if you weren't my friend, I would be all over you come from?'  In my book both Penny and Raj share equally in blame for what went down.  Penny knows how she gets when depressed and drinking.  As for Raj he knew how Penny felt about Leonard and he when there too.  As for Penny wanting to forget what happen I am sure she did, it doesn't change the fact she went there.  Now, Leonard always forgives Penny for anything and everything she does.  So, I wasn't surprise he said he didn't have a problem with it.  As I asked before, why protect Raj?  I am serious why continue to lie about it.

I agree with Tensor about Cole. Nothing indicated to me that he was interested in Penny. Leonard just seemed to be jealous.

I'm not sure what the big deal was about Sheldon seeing Penny naked. If it was Howard I see your point. But Sheldon. I don't know at that point he had any interest in women :icon_biggrin:

Your probably right that eventually they would have broke up. But a bad situation was made worse by being coerced (mainly by Sheldon) to bowl because she was a good bowler. I don't think her plan was to do it there but Wil Wheaton did speed it along. By the way Leonard did sleep with Dr. Plimpton 2 episodes later. That's a whole another discussion.

I guess I'm the lone ranger on Penny/Raj. Wasn't Leonard and Priya in Raj's bed playing Star Wars? I know it makes most people cringe thinking about Penny/Raj in bed but at that time they just seemed to be two lonely people. 

I know people are worried about Penny getting drunk and sleeping with someone. Isn't the only guy other than Leonard that Penny's been with in the last 4 years been Zack?

Penny has never cheated on anyone that I know of on screen or off. There were at least two guys I recall that have cheated on her.

I do believe there was a throwaway joke in one of the early seasons where she admitted to sleeping with a guy's brother while dating him.  That probably counts as cheating.  But as I said, it was a throwaway joke and from her wild days in Nebraska.

Hi Tensor,

First let me say....can't get the quotes to work right, so bear with me.

No problem. I usually turn the WYSIWYG off, and use copy and paste to set up my own quotes. It's a bit more work, but I find I have more control over the quoting function.

As for Cole - I think we all got that he was kind of Interested in Penny.  Penny attitude about the sitiuation also had you questioning if she knew he was interested in her and just ignoring it.

I didn't see anything overt that indicated that he was interested. Alex, was interested in Leonard, overtly. But, does it matter? Penny was required to have a partner for her report. Penny mentions she probably wouldn't be able to find another partner and would fail. Penny had nothing to report, Leonard did. However they both revealed their insecurities about the relationship.

Penny knows she get hits on all the time with Leonard standing right beside her, yet it didn't bother her until Leonard did something stupid ie tellng Cole that Penny's boyfriend was in a game.

And what has she done about it? Nothing. And if she hasn't done anything (and nothing Leonard said indicates that she did do anything), why is he so insecure and jealous about it. If she's ignoring the guys that hit on her, how does that not reassure Leonard? Especially if she continues to go out with Leonard. And, I don't know about you, but I would be pretty embarrassed if my SO did something like Leonard did. Leonard even admits it's his problem, not Penny's. And still she continues to date him.

Why not Sheldon? - I can ask the same question why NOT Penny.  So Sheldon is the one to look but Penny is support to care about Leonard and may even had feeling for him.  Why leave that info hanging out there.

I simply don't see what the problem is. Penny was hurt, Sheldon help get her to the hospital. As her boyfriend (they were dating at the time), I would have been happy that he got her there. Between the pain, the drugs (she was pretty high after getting home), her frustration with Sheldon I can see something like that not even occurring to her.

Depend on the circumstamnces - Sure.  I don't believe for a minute that Penny wouldn't be upset or even angry if the shoe wasn't on the other foot. I believe that if the same situation took place with Leonard and a woman, Penny would want to know.

Yeah, again I think it depends on the situation. If, pre-social interaction Amy saw something of Leonard and neither one mentioned it for years, I don't see Penny worrying about it.

Unfair to Penny?! - How is that unfair to Penny?  Penny isn't the one that had her heart stomp on. Yes, I do believe Penny would have dumped Leonard without Wheaton input. Penny was looking for a way out once Leonard said ILY to her and Wheaton in my opinion gave her another reason to do it.

Then why did she not break up with him in the Laundry Room, prior to the Bowling Match? Are you saying she specifically waited to do it in a public place to intentionally humiliate him? If so you'll have to explain her "It's not fair to you, I'm sorry Leonard" before she runs out. Unless you're saying she said those things intentionally to throw Leonard off of how she really wanted to break up with him, which make no sense in light of what happens in future episodes. Speaking of which...

How long was Penny upset after dumping Leonard? How often did you see her having a hard time after she dumped Leonard?

She was still upset over several things in the very next episode, The Spaghetti Catalyst. She spent most of season four upset. Specifically shown in "The 21 Second Excitation", "The Justice League Recombination", "The Cohabitation Formulation", "The Toast Derivation", She doesn't appear happy about the situation in "The Prestidigitation Approximation". She gets snarky about Priya (with no reason to, unless she's upset about not being with Leonard) in, "The Zarneki Incursion", "The Herb Garden Germination", "The Agreement Dissection" and the "The Wildebeest Implementation". There's 25 episodes from the breakup to "The Wildebeest Implementation" and 10 of those have some sort of sadness or regret from Penny. That's 40% of the episodes. This year, a year specifically mentioned by the producers to be a year of fixing Leonard and Penny, has had 50% of the episodes with their interaction (as far as their issues go).

Penny/Raj - So where did the 'if you weren't my friend, I would be all over you come from?'

She was trying to make a friend feel better? After all, she did use E = mc2 in explaining that. That's how it read to me, although I can see why others may have a different interpretation, in light of subsequent events.

In my book both Penny and Raj share equally in blame for what went down.  Penny knows how she gets when depressed and drinking.  As for Raj he knew how Penny felt about Leonard and he when there too.  As for Penny wanting to forget what happen I am sure she did, it doesn't change the fact she went there.  Now, Leonard always forgives Penny for anything and everything she does.  So, I wasn't surprise he said he didn't have a problem with it.

You still don't understand. There is no blame. You had two consenting adults. Leonard had no right to have a problem with it. He was LIVING with another woman and he had no right to demand anything of a woman he was no longer dating. Just as Penny has no responsibility to explain her sex life to an ex that was with another woman. As far as Penny going there, Leonard started sleeping with Raj's sister, without telling Raj. That, going back five years(see "The Irish Pub Formulation"). Then, he started dating her (and sleeping with her in Raj's bed)even though he knew it upset Raj. Why did Leonard go there? I simply don't understand the righteous condemnation of Penny, while Leonard gets a free pass, even though he's basically done the same thing.

As I asked before, why protect Raj?  I am serious why continue to lie about it.

How is she protecting Raj by letting everyone assume she did sleep with him? By keeping it unknown that he has Premature Ejaculation problems? Protecting him would be if they had slept together and Penny lets everyone assume that they didn't sleep together. She was not going out with Leonard. She was free to go out and sleep with with whom she wants. She has no responsibility to tell Leonard about her sex life, unless they were together, or Leonard specifically asks. And even then, she would be within her rights to tell him to go to hell. Why didn't Leonard tell Penny about Elizabeth Plimpton? Why did Penny have to ask about it? Why didn't he tell Sheldon? After all, Sheldon is his friend, she was there as a guest of his friend. Why did Leonard go there? Because she let him? Unless they show Leonard specifically asking about it and she doesn't tell the truth, I don't see it as a lie.

• Like 1

Tensor,

Ref: Cole - we have to agree to disagree. As I said Leonard was wrong for acting stupid with Cole. Penny I have to wonder how she handle situations when Leonard is with her and men hit on her. I don't think it has truly been answer other than Leonard saying it's all on him.

Ref: Penny hurt - I understand you have no problem about it never being mention and or it being thrown up in Leonard face after L/P back together by Sheldon (I know, I know he is supposely so clueless.) I just think it would have been nice to have a heads up and Leonard wouldn't come off look like a fool in that scene.

Ref: another woman - You could be right that Penny wouldn't have care and wouldn't be upset that Leonard hadn't at least told her in passing.

Ref: Bowling Alley - I did wonder why Penny didn't suck it up and break up with Leonard in the laundry room? It would have been kinder and less humilating if you ask me. Also you can't tell me that Penny only thought of dumping Leonard after Wheaton talked to her. Penny isn't that weak minded .

Ref: Peny upset - I didn't really see Penny all that upset or sad after she dumped Leonard. Sure she asked about him and I think that was more about her conscience and finally grasping that she humilated the guy in front of his friends.

As for the fourth season, was Penny really upset in the first half when Leonard was all alone? To me she seems to be okay with the way things were and even got back with Zack for a little while. Also Penny was busy helping out Sheldon with dating Amy, then worrying about Sheldon downloading his consciousness in to a robot and singing soft kitty to him. Next she and the others were worrying about Sheldon after the break up with Amy. Then Penny was having slumber parties with Amy and Bernie where Leonard was only came up doing truth or dare, next it was Penny lying to her father about Leonard, TJLR she were dating Zack because she didn't want to be alone on New Year Day, nothing in TBPU, then The Love Car Displacement Penny made it quite clear that she didn't want to get back with Leonard. TTC had Penny giving Sheldon acting lessons, next Penny was friendly with Leonard during The Benefactor Factor - so not upset here either.

Or did Penny get up in arms due to Priya and Leonard getting involved? If was like Penny didn't want Leonard nor did she want anyone else wanting Leonard either. Second half of Season Four, Ep16 through Ep24 Penny said she had regrets and maybe she did, I have to ask what changed all of a sudden to cause Penny to reach this conculsion?

Ref: Penny/Raj - I hope Penny never try cheering up a male friend in that manner again. As someone that mostly had male friends while serving in the Army, I never said anything like that to them and I darn sure didn't say it to my ex's male friends.

Ref: Understand: I think we will have to agree to disagree on this too.

Ref: Protecting - Maybe you don't see it as protecting Raj and that's okay, tho I see it differently. So Penny should have been told about E. Plimpton? Why? Didn't she just dumped Leonard? Did Leonard have a choice about if they should break up or not? I didn't get the feeling there was a 'We' in the decision making? Personally, I wanted Leonard to tell Penny to back off and that she made her decision and he could do what he wanted. I felt that Leonard wanted to be wanted, so yes he when there and wind up being stomp on again. Was he stupid for going there, of course. Btw I hated Leonard explaining anything to Penny about the situation! The only person that could be a little upset was Sheldon and that is IT!  eta: Plimpton wasn't a friend of Penny so the sitiuation isn't quite the same.

Finally, If Penny was so wanting Leonard, why didn't she step up to the plate once he was no longer with Priya? Why was it all on Leonard to once again get the ball rolling?

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 1

This is where I get off the train... metaphorically. It may not be ever be entirely consistent, because its a construct of its time and and circumstances. It's never going to win a Nobel for literature and isn't science. But it sure is engaging.

If Penny got drunk and ended up in bed with yet another guy, Leonard would be a king sized fool to get back togetehr with her.  Alex. Sheldon's assistant would be a much better choice.  Kick the booze hound to the curb and go for the physicist.

I know that it isn't on the cards but I agree with you. Alex is lovely, she would be so great for Leonard. Penny, is tall and athetic and they don't look right together. Alex is a smart, petite, scientist I think she is perfect for him.

Of course this isn't the plan.

Edited by Clover

Guest DroneInTheSun

I don't necessarily ship L/P a lot and actually looove the idea of Leonard/Alex but your reason here as to why Alex is better for him is pretty stupid. Who cares what they look like, L&P have a history that L&A do not have and will probably never have. Relationships aren't based on looks.

(but if we're going to base relationships on looks, Sheldon and Penny don't look that great together, sorry to say.)

I don't necessarily ship L/P a lot and actually looove the idea of Leonard/Alex but your reason here as to why Alex is better for him is pretty stupid. Who cares what they look like, L&P have a history that L&A do not have and will probably never have. Relationships aren't based on looks.

(but if we're going to base relationships on looks, Sheldon and Penny don't look that great together, sorry to say.)

Relationships are based on many factors. One of those factors is definitely appearance. I'm not talking about beauty. You are misunderstanding. I'm talking about how couples match each other and quite often, it even comes down to build. It's a balance thing, like yin and yang. A lot of couples even grow to look more alike, as they age.

Of course, you know I can not agree on Sheldon and Penny but that goes without saying. :)

Edited by Clover

Guest DroneInTheSun

Appearances do play a part, and Leonard and Penny have proven more than once that they find each other attractive, so there definitely isn't any problem here. How they look to outsiders shouldn't matter - outsiders are not the people in this relationship and they have no say in what is good or isn't. It's exactly like the Shamy: for many people - including their friends - their relationship is a joke but if Sheldon and Amy feel like the only normal couple in their social circle, we can be pretty confident in saying that their relationship is everything but a joke.

And your analogy is (partly) flawed because one of the ideas behind the yin and yang thing is that you don't necessarily have to be the same at all to be a part of a whole. Hot is yang and cold is yin, for example, they're complete opposites yet they assemble and are a whole. It's the same with Leonard and Penny: by many aspects they are nothing alike, but when you scratch on the surface, you do find threads linking them to each other in a deep way.

• Like 3

Relationships are based on many factors. One of those factors is definitely appearance. I'm not talking about beauty. You are misunderstanding. I'm talking about how couples match each other and quite often, it even comes down to build. It's a balance thing, like yin and yang. A lot of couples even grow to look more alike, as they age.

Of course, you know I can not agree on Sheldon and Penny but that goes without saying. :)

It's funny that you answered the whole why Shenny is ridiculous in your first sentence. Realationships are based on many factors and the truth is there are no factors where Sheldon and Penny match up. The only reason they are even friends is because of Leonard, the alpha male of the group. Sheldon is only Homo Novas in his own mind and everyone, but Amy, mocks him with the term.

Alex would never work with Leonard because she is too sweet, the show would become dull, Penny adds excitement to Leonard's life, the Alex character doesn't have. Besides like someone said before, the show is about Leonard and Penny, that is probably why season 6 did so well, the writers started to concentrate more on the show theme.

• Like 5

Hi SRAM,

I actually have butterflies in my stomach from wonding how the actors will handle tonights material.  I want to believe in my Lenny so here hoping that all works out.

btw I think I am too invloved with the Leonard and Penny characters and the show. lol

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 2

Ok great L/P episode. The car scene was great, but I wish they didn't make Sheldon so extreme, he sort of ruined it a little. The ILYs and them almost crying, then the kiss and hugging was good between them, made them look solid.

• Like 4

Ok great L/P episode. The car scene was great, but I wish they didn't make Sheldon so extreme, he sort of ruined it a little. The ILYs and them almost crying, then the kiss and hugging was good between them, made them look solid.

The discussion at Penny's table when Leonard told her made them look solid also. I'm pretty sure there isn't going any serious problems with them being separated.

• Like 3

The discussion at Penny's table when Leonard told her made them look solid also. I'm pretty sure there isn't going any serious problems with them being separated.

I hope not, only problem is the writers need to mess with them.

I agree, Kaley/Penny was great in being a SO that was really going to miss her boyfriend a lot. Even the way she told him things would not get screwed up while he was gone, because that could only happen when he was there, was done as a way to reassure him, and really didn't come off bad. We got a lot of emotion out of L/P tonight in a couple scenes, I think more than any other episode this season.

• Like 2

I really liked the L/P story tonight.  I thought it was well done.  The interaction at the airport was great, a very touching moment.  I did think that Sheldon got annoying.  I really liked Kaley's I love you. 

I really don't see how the director, after watching that scene, left the actions of Sheldon in that scene.  I think it would have been a lot better without Sheldon because the scene felt forced for SHeldon to be in it.  I think they put Sheldon in too many scenes as it is already.

I really don't see how the director, after watching that scene, left the actions of Sheldon in that scene.  I think it would have been a lot better without Sheldon because the scene felt forced for SHeldon to be in it.  I think they put Sheldon in too many scenes as it is already.

I took solace in the thought that having him there made it more ordinary in a good way.  L/P are solid. That said, when Leonard and Penny re-unite after he comes ashore they better lay it on with a trowel.

(Or maybe Penny overstayed at Raj's while rejoicing  - in a friends way - and the car window wasn't quite down far enough... mwa-ha-ha :icon_twisted: )

no not really.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

The scene reminded  me so much of Season 3 when Leonard and Penny finally got together and at every turn there was Sheldon pooping all over the relationship.  Sheldon almost ruined it for me but thanks to JG and KC, they kept it from being a bust.

I didn't like how Sheldon told Penny what was in the box and thereby denying the viewers and Penny a chance of seeing the present.  I hate Sheldon constantly putting his head between Lenny. I hate that Lenny just couldn't have one kiss without Sheldon interrupting.  I hate Penny got those precious minutes with Raj instead of with Leonard.  I don't want to begrudge Raj his scene but I rather Sheldon had been in this scene and not the goodbye one.

I have said that Lorre and the writers have overplayed the Sheldon in every scenes. I hate to see what Leonard return scene with Penny will be like.

• Like 1