The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Meister

The Sexual Double Standard

Hey, first of all I have to say I love this show, very good humor, good actors, etc. So don't misunderstand this thread for some kind of hate thread. Have to say though, that here's something that always annoyed me when watching Big bang even if it's the best show...

The sexual tautning from Penny. They always portrait Lennard, Howard and company as losers because they aren't meeting women all the time. Penny on the other hand is almost boasting about how she always have sex and meet new guys and that Lennards lifestyle sucks. Everyone who has watched the show know what I mean. What's so attractive about this lifestyle?

The most double standard scenario happened somewhere in the end of season 5. When the info came out that Howard had a threesome with some girl and Rajesh earlier in his life. Which made Bernadotte angry and wanted to change her mind about the wedding. So let me get this right, first the girl characters complain how sexually inactive the nerdy guys are and taunt them because they are so lonely and doesn't get any girls... but when they actually get some girl or get laid, the girls freak out and call them nasty etc. Wtf? Why make them feel bad for themselves for being alone, but then complain when they actually meet someone?

Penny who is meeting guys all the time and having sex like a slut, can do it and be proud of it. While if for example Howard happens to have one or two occurences of a sexual encounter earlier in his life, they almost bash him and call him a nasty guy and he's not worth Bernadotte. That is sick. The result is that he had to go apologize and almost get on his knees to get her back?

Am I the only one thinking this was quite annoying?

I don't think Bernadette was angry because he had a threesome or whatever, but because he told her that she knew everything there was to know about him and he had kept things from her. Plus, hooking up with guys is a bit different from hiring a prostitute, imo.

Hey this is the premise of the show: lonely nerds who can't get arrested and the 'hot' blonde who hangs out with them. Blame Chuck Lorre for the double standard, actually I don't know any girls straight or gay who run around like Penny; they've written her like a man that way.

I think that saying it is some kind of a double standard is a pretty big stretch.  I don't remember Bernadette talking about a whole bunch of guys that she had sex with, in fact I can only remember one off the top of my head, and I am pretty sure that none of the ladies ever talked about doing a threesome.   To the laides, a threesome is something pretty sleazy.   So what?   I don't see how there is anything like a double standard.

I think that saying it is some kind of a double standard is a pretty big stretch.  I don't remember Bernadette talking about a whole bunch of guys that she had sex with, in fact I can only remember one off the top of my head, and I am pretty sure that none of the ladies ever talked about doing a threesome.   To the laides, a threesome is something pretty sleazy.   So what?   I don't see how there is anything like a double standard.

well lets see, penny did say once that she was tired of waking up on a futon with a bunch of people she didn't know.

that is obviously something that happened more than once for her to be tired of it. :icon_eek:

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

well lets see, penny did say once that she was tired of waking up on a futon with a bunch of people she didn't know.

that is obviously something that happened more than once for her to be tired of it. :icon_eek:

that was Leslie, not Penny

Edited by Sursonica

The sexual tautning from Penny. They always portrait Lennard, Howard and company as losers because they aren't meeting women all the time. Penny on the other hand is almost boasting about how she always have sex and meet new guys and that Lennards lifestyle sucks. Everyone who has watched the show know what I mean. What's so attractive about this lifestyle?

Penny who is meeting guys all the time and having sex like a slut, can do it and be proud of it.

Here is a little test.

Name or describe all the guys in the series that Penny has had sex with.

Now, do the same with Leonard and women.

Notice something?

Edited by BangerMain

PENNY

Kurt

Doug

Mike

David Underhill

Stuart (Almost-twice)

Leonard

Zach 

Random guy(hynie to bite)

Raj (almost)

I don't know if we can include the men that Sheldon constantly refers to coming in and out of her bedroom

LEONARD :

Leslie

Stephanie

Penny

Dr.Plimpton

Joy

The old lady

Priya

Alice (almost)

I did not include the North korean spy (almost) for Leonard and Not Pregnent Buddy for Penny...as they were long time before this series started :p

Did I miss anyone??? 

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

PENNY

Kurt

Doug

Mike

David Underhill

Stuart (Almost-twice)

Leonard

Zach 

Random guy(hynie to bite)

Raj (almost)

I don't know if we can include the men that Sheldon constantly refers to coming in and out of her bedroom

LEONARD :

Leslie

Stephanie

Penny

Dr.Plimpton

Joy

The old lady

Priya

Alice (almost)

I did not include the North korean spy (almost) for Leonard and Not Pregnent Buddy for Penny...as they were long time before this series started :p

Did I miss anyone??? 

I think you got them all. Joyce Kim, the spy, would count, Alice would not. For Penny, Raj, Stuart (they did not have sex) and the "Heine guy" would not count  (no one knows if they ever found that guy). The thing that you will notice is that Leonard during the run of the series has been shown to have more sex partners then Penny.

That's the real sexual double standard. Penny was denounced as a "slut" by Sheldon and Amy but the powers that be were always wary to show the evidence. We know Penny has been in bed with one man since the season three breakup rebound with Zack, and that was Raj, who she technically did not have sex with. Penny's promiscuity is all talk and no shown action. Penny has not been shown to even kiss many guys but Leonard.

Why not show Penny in bed with men as often as we have seen Leonard in bed with women? Because, I believe, the fans would be more judgmental of her than they would be of Leonard.  Leonard has been in bedroom sexual situations with; Leslie, Joyce Kim, Stephanie, Dr. Plimpton, Priya and Penny. Penny's total? Raj and Leonard and only Leonard got the goods. :icon_wink:

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

I don't think Bernadette was angry because he had a threesome or whatever, but because he told her that she knew everything there was to know about him and he had kept things from her. Plus, hooking up with guys is a bit different from hiring a prostitute, imo.

I don't see the problem with hooking up with a prostitute, at least if it isn't a common occurence. Many guys don't get any women, should they get sexually frustruated while girls go around partying and having sex with every guy they see? ;)

Hey this is the premise of the show: lonely nerds who can't get arrested and the 'hot' blonde who hangs out with them. Blame Chuck Lorre for the double standard, actually I don't know any girls straight or gay who run around like Penny; they've written her like a man that way.

Yeah I know about the stereotype there and i've accepted it. I wouldn't call either of them lonely though, look at Lennard he's meeting lots of women. Also they hang out a lot with eachother. Where I live, the average guy is 100 times more lonely than Sheldon and company. So at the same time it's not really portraited that way. That's why I always find it weird how Penny taunt about "lolol, meet people losers!".

That was one of the examples, but it's more like the whole Penny history that's double standard. First they complain about how they can't meet women and they should do it... But when they do they almost get bashed for it. Whatever they do, they have to take shit because they are "nerds".

Penny didn't seem to like the idea either of what Howard did, and Penny always talks about how many people she has slept with ever since she was young. So Penny is the master of double standard IMO. Maybe you don't think it is double standard, but IT IS as a fact. Howard had to practically beg Bernadotte to come back, by saying he was a jerk and bad person back then.

Here is a little test.

Notice something?

Whoever she had sex with in the series is irrelevant since she herself has practically referred to the fact that she is sleeping with guys like all the time. At least did. She has probably slept with 100+ herself (Yea I know assumption, but it's portraited quite clearly) : >

Lennard is a bad example as well, he's been sleeping with a lot of women, true. But then the double standard still applies, since Penny is still always taunting about "Hah, like you could meet another women, i'm not worried.". Referring to how she thinks Lennard is unattractive because of his interests. But since Lennard is actually meeting lots of women, she's constantly saying it because of the bias towards the nerd stereotype.

Penny didn't say that, Leslie Winkle did.

Here is a little test.

Notice something?

It looks as though you are setting it up in such a way as to being able to ignore the number of men that Penny had slept with according to the formula that Sheldon used.  It was pretty obvious from Penny's reaction that if not on the money Sheldon was pretty close.  ........But that was then, and she has changed, as has most of the other characters.  Frankly I don't think getting bogged down on how many sexual enounters all of the characters have had in the past is a good idea.  What is more important is what they are doing now, and what they will do in the future.  Does anyone really think that Penny will go out again just to pick up a guy for a one nighter?  I don't, even if she should break up with Leonard.

It looks as though you are setting it up in such a way as to being able to ignore the number of men that Penny had slept with according to the formula that Sheldon used.  It was pretty obvious from Penny's reaction that if not on the money Sheldon was pretty close.  ........But that was then, and she has changed, as has most of the other characters.  Frankly I don't think getting bogged down on how many sexual enounters all of the characters have had in the past is a good idea.  What is more important is what they are doing now, and what they will do in the future.  Does anyone really think that Penny will go out again just to pick up a guy for a one nighter?  I don't, even if she should break up with Leonard.

Yep, That is exactly what I did. But the point that was being argued was whether Penny was the beneficiary of a double standard where she was getting a pass for her slutty activity. That is very much not the case. The odd sexual double standard that the writers of the TBBT use is that they are afraid to show Penny's sexual activity, when it does not involve Leonard. I believe that this is done because a woman who is shown to have as many sex partners as a young male would not be given much sympathy as a character. Leonard, being a man can be shown in bed with various women throughout the shows run that far exceeds Penny's and viewers can still see him as some sort of sympathetic loser with the ladies. Penny gets hate just from the talk of her promiscuity (Which all comes from Chuck Lorre's trying to change the character on the fly to what he originally wanted. But that's another story). :icon_wink:

That's the old double standard at work here.

I'm with you.What is important is what is happening now and in the future. They are cleaning up Penny's image from the BS that they dumped on her in season four and parts of five. She has been remade back into the Nebraska farm girl that most of the fans loved for the first three seasons.

Edited by BangerMain

Penny who is meeting guys all the time and having sex like a slut, can do it and be proud of it. While if for example Howard happens to have one or two occurences of a sexual encounter earlier in his life, they almost bash him and call him a nasty guy and he's not worth Bernadotte. That is sick. The result is that he had to go apologize and almost get on his knees to get her back?

Okay, first of all. Nowhere in Canon is or has it been said Penny has sex with every guy she meets or is proud of it. Just because other characters assume she does like (Sheldon) doesn't make it true. 

I disagree with Rick though. I think Penny's reaction was that Sheldon was so far off on the number. Just because Sheldon is really judgmental doesn't make it right. This get's back to the debates between Shenny and Lenny's. Shenny's think Leonard is such a horrible person but in reality Sheldon is way worse of a human being then Leonard.

No way has Penny been with over 100 men. Sheldon is just an Ass.

Edited by Slicknickshady
  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

to be honest if we found out penny was with over 100 men i wouldnt even care because it makes no difference to me at all

why is someones value worth how many people they have been with? 

to be honest if we found out penny was with over 100 men i wouldnt even care because it makes no difference to me at all

why is someones value worth how many people they have been with? 

My point is sheldon is an ass! We can't take anything he says seriously when it comes to sex.

I think he says shes merely dated over 100 and only slept with around 30 which for a roughly 30 year old woman is nothing to be ashamed of.  

Also as far as the OP goes I don't think shes proud of its just what she does when she gets drunk.  Its called having fun.  She doesn't rip on the guys for not having sex and she doesn't boast about having it.  It just happens in the background.  Also as we've seen through the past 2 and a half season's Pennys character has improved greatly and since the breakup in S3 Leonard has had more sexual partners than Penny has... shoudl we call him a slut now?

I also don't feel like there is much of a double standard in the show.  The reason Howard had to go apologize is because he had kept all of those things from her.  Its like dating a guy for six months then finding out hes a convicted felon or something.  Howard's offense may not have been as serious but it was certainly as much of a shock to bernadette who was finding out that this sweet mamas boy had a bit of a wild streak.

If anything, that's why Bernedette was upset. It was kept from her.

Yes, Howard had told Bernadette she knew everything about his sexual past and she finds out that he had left out the sleazier parts. He had been dishonest with her and that made her mad.

I think that the whole "double standard theory" is just that, a theory.  I haven't seen any excessive condemnation for Penny's sexual history.  I have always taken it as the writers building on the premise that in the past Penny has always been attracted to men for superficial reasons and she was more interested in the immediate and short term gratification then in a more in depth and longterm relationship. I just took it for granted that they were using it as a means to show how she is maturing and growing.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2012 at 12:24 AM, rickfromillinois said:

and I am pretty sure that none of the ladies ever talked about doing a threesome.

Penny alluded to having picked up a guy and a girl in a bar, and having sex with them both.

Also, although not actually a threesome, she was sleeping with two bothers at the same time.

• Like 1

I don't remember Bernadette talking about a whole bunch of guys that she had sex with, in fact I can only remember one off the top of my head

I can think of two.

and I am pretty sure that none of the ladies ever talked about doing a threesome.

Penny definitely implied she did.

I'd say the real double standard here, is Penny reaction to Leonard's dalliances with Mrs Latham and Dr. Plimpton.