The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Meister

The Sexual Double Standard

23 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I can think of two.

Penny definitely implied she did.

I'd say the real double standard here, is Penny reaction to Leonard's dalliances with Mrs Latham and Dr. Plimpton.

She was kind of amused by the Latham thing and was only treating him the way she was/would be treated for similar actions. So I don't see a double standard here.

With Plimptom it seems, at least to me, that she was hurt. Her reminding him that they just broke up was IMO kind of an "I thought we had something meaningful. You told me you loved me. Now you're sleeping with another woman just (*whatever the time was) after we broke up?" We also do know that even if she didn't admit it at the time, Penny already had deep feelings for Leonard in their first "round" in a relationship. I think for her their relationship wasn't like what she had with guys she had cheated on or moved on quickly from, so she did not expect what Leonard did and was hurt by it.

But doesn't the same apply, in reverse, to Penny's dalliance with Dave Underhill?

Leonard and Penny hadn't been broken up very long, when Penny not only had sex with Dave Underhill, but flaunted it in Leonard's face.

23 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But doesn't the same apply, in reverse, to Penny's dalliance with Dave Underhill?

Leonard and Penny hadn't been broken up very long, when Penny not only had sex with Dave Underhill, but flaunted it in Leonard's face.

They weren't together before she was with Underhill, just had one date.

1 hour ago, bfm said:

They weren't together before she was with Underhill, just had one date.

But she knew he had feelings for her.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But she knew he had feelings for her.

A single date and having feelings is not the same as a months-long relationship that had both developed deep feelings for each other (he confessed love, she, as we find out in season 11, thought she would marry him).

Edited by bfm
  • Like 1

If you knew a friend had feelings for you, even if you had absolutely no interest in them, romantically, would you be so callous as to flaunt your sexual relationships in front of them?

22 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

If you knew a friend had feelings for you, even if you had absolutely no interest in them, romantically, would you be so callous as to flaunt your sexual relationships in front of them?

I'm not saying her behavior with Underhil was good, just that it was not the same as Leonard and Plimpton and so it is not a double standard.

At least Leonard didn't flaunt his dalliance with Elizabeth Plimpton in front of Penny.

Indeed, if Penny had not visited 4A that morning, she'd have been none the wiser.

• Like 1