The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

Yeah, I like that you brought this up. A lot of people, once the spoilers about this episode came out, started interpreting Sheldon's actions while Amy was sick like mere excuses to get more physical with her, seeing in them a sexual subtext, but in my opinion it is not like that. He did those things because those are the things you do when one is sick or has done something wrong. He knew that,given hid aversion to physical contact, it wasn't going to be easy, but he challenged himself because she is worth it, and in the end he surprised himself  finding out that he was actually able to do them.

It's a fine line because he was doing it to treat her first and foremost.  Second, he came back in the first place to treat her because 1) he loves her and cares a lot about her, 2) he saw it as an opportunity to show her that he can be self-less, 3) he knew he was likely going to encounter some physical contact and wanted to challenge himself to get over some of his fears since he had been working on trying to get to where he would like to get (be the man he wants to be...a full man able to function fully in a relationship).   While he was there, he was working on overcoming some of his fears, but when you think about why he wanted to overcome them...he does have desires and wants to be able to act upon them, knowing it would please both of them, but his fears of touch get in the way.   Yet the motivation was a little bit because he wants to be able to get more comfortable with touching her.  So I suppose one could very loosely claim it had a sexual undertone.   However, my primary assumption was that it was more because of his concern for her well being that he was caring for her the best way he knew (which is the way he grew up being treated when sick).   :icon_biggrin:

Krys, that train was awesome.  I loved the drawing of it.:wub:   In fact they should have made a poster from it.  it was really cool.  I love how protective he was of it.  :icon_lol:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

Oh, I run out of likes, but I like your post, Stardust, and I completely agree with what you said!! I just do not agree with those people that read those events exclusively in a sexual way, like if a "sexual contact" of any type was the real motivation behind his actions and he was just feigning innocence...

Anyway, that train was awesome!!!  :icon_razz:

It's a fine line because he was doing it to treat her first and foremost.  Second, he came back in the first place to treat her because 1) he loves her and cares a lot about her, 2) he saw it as an opportunity to show her that he can be self-less, 3) he knew he was likely going to encounter some physical contact and wanted to challenge himself to get over some of his fears since he had been working on trying to get to where he would like to get (be the man he wants to be...a full man able to function fully in a relationship).   While he was there, he was working on overcoming some of his fears, but when you think about why he wanted to overcome them...he does have desires and wants to be able to act upon them, knowing it would please both of them, but his fears of touch get in the way.   Yet the motivation was a little bit because he wants to be able to get more comfortable with touching her.  So I suppose one could very loosely claim it had a sexual undertone.   However, my primary assumption was that it was more because of his concern for her well being that he was caring for her the best way he knew (which is the way he grew up being treated when sick).   :icon_biggrin:

Krys, that train was awesome.  I loved the drawing of it. :wub:   In fact they should have made a poster from it.  it was really cool.  I love how protective he was of it.  :icon_lol:

The train is actually from the comic book store.  Go back and look at the scene in the season premiere with Raj and Stuart..look behind Stuart. :D

I've been noticing the colors of Sheldon's shirts in various scenes and they seem significant in this episode.  Blue supposedly means hope, which he was wearing in the "revelation" scene.  Amy was wearing the same color in this episode, and (I wouldn't have noticed except for stardustmelody's signature pics) so was Sheldon when he grabbed Amy's hand last season.  Purple supposedly means love, and Sheldon was wearing purple in the hug scene.  Also, I noticed that in the promo photos Amy's sweater color is muted compared to what it was in the episode.  I don't know why they would have changed it, but it jumped out to me.

• Like 1

I've been noticing the colors of Sheldon's shirts in various scenes and they seem significant in this episode.  Blue supposedly means hope, which he was wearing in the "revelation" scene.  Amy was wearing the same color in this episode, and (I wouldn't have noticed except for stardustmelody's signature pics) so was Sheldon when he grabbed Amy's hand last season.  Purple supposedly means love, and Sheldon was wearing purple in the hug scene.  Also, I noticed that in the promo photos Amy's sweater color is muted compared to what it was in the episode.  I don't know why they would have changed it, but it jumped out to me.

I noticed that too but you wrote it perfectly. :)

This shirt thing is interesting, although I'm not sure I buy it completely. But he was wearing blue when he asked her to be his girlfriend too. 

eta: I also would like to bring up another topic of conversation that I had mentioned back when the report came out. Interesting that Sheldon chose to use the Vaporub as an example of his progress with Amy and not EVERYTHING ELSE he did to her during that time. Really, Sheldon? Rubbing Vaporub on her chest is the most progress you've made so far? Right...

Edited by spook

This shirt thing is interesting, although I'm not sure I buy it completely. But he was wearing blue when he asked her to be his girlfriend too. 

eta: I also would like to bring up another topic of conversation that I had mentioned back when the report came out. Interesting that Sheldon chose to use the Vaporub as an example of his progress with Amy and not EVERYTHING ELSE he did to her during that time. Really, Sheldon? Rubbing Vaporub on her chest is the most progress you've made so far? Right...

It's possible that the Vaporub was the most touching he had done. I mean, he was rubbing a part of her body that probably very few had seen, not to mention that before he even had a problem with touching the actual vapo-rub itself. We don't know how much touching was involved when he helped to bathe her, he may have just held her hair or whatever. The spanking was also less touching, even though it was more 'sexual' in Amy's mind for him it wasn't such a big deal.

I guess that the Vaporub was pretty big in Sheldon's mind, even if no-one else saw it that way. Though I'd love it if we found out what was involved during the bathing ;)

Edited by Razberrypie

It's possible that the Vaporub was the most touching he had done. I mean, he was rubbing a part of her body that probably very few had seen, not to mention that before he even had a problem with touching the actual vapo-rub itself. We don't know how much touching was involved when he helped to bathe her, he may have just held her hair or whatever. The spanking was also less touching, even though it was more 'sexual' in Amy's mind for him it wasn't such a big deal.

I guess that the Vaporub was pretty big in Sheldon's mind, even if no-one else saw it that way. Though I'd love it if we found out what was involved during the bathing ;)

I'm not saying it wasn't touching or meaningful, way more than the spanking of course. And I do think it's huge that he rubbed the Vaporub on her. I'm just saying that when one is talking about things that would have been unthinkable a year prior, helping your girlfriend bathe might be slightly higher up in terms of contact than the Vaporub. From the sound of things when Amy was like "I'm gonna need another bath!" I don't think all he did was sit there and hold her hair. I'm not saying anything kinky happened, but there must have been some degree of physical contact that went beyond the Vaporub because if we're saying nobody saw her upper chest well... definitely nobody has ever seen the rest of her! 

I thought it was telling that he didn't mention the bath, to me it implies he knew that was too much for that conversation and consequently that implies that he definitely did not see the bath just as something to tick off the list as a caretaker. Again, I'm not saying he was doing it in a sexual way at all, but he definitely knows it was a very intimate moment that he wants to keep private. (Although Bernadette being there to witness that... I wonder if she really didn't say anything to anybody about it).

I'm not saying it wasn't touching or meaningful, way more than the spanking of course. And I do think it's huge that he rubbed the Vaporub on her. I'm just saying that when one is talking about things that would have been unthinkable a year prior, helping your girlfriend bathe might be slightly higher up in terms of contact than the Vaporub. From the sound of things when Amy was like "I'm gonna need another bath!" I don't think all he did was sit there and hold her hair. I'm not saying anything kinky happened, but there must have been some degree of physical contact that went beyond the Vaporub because if we're saying nobody saw her upper chest well... definitely nobody has ever seen the rest of her! 

I thought it was telling that he didn't mention the bath, to me it implies he knew that was too much for that conversation and consequently that implies that he definitely did not see the bath just as something to tick off the list as a caretaker. Again, I'm not saying he was doing it in a sexual way at all, but he definitely knows it was a very intimate moment that he wants to keep private. (Although Bernadette being there to witness that... I wonder if she really didn't say anything to anybody about it).

sheldon probably wouldn't feel comfortable telling leonard and penny that... my opinion.

IMO there are two reasons he mentioned the vapo-rub as opposed to the bath.  Vapo-rub is more directly about touching, whereas the bath would require more explanation as to what touching he did during said bath.  The second reason is that the vapo-rub gave the writers an opportunity for Leonard to make a joke about putting it on Sheldon.

sheldon probably wouldn't feel comfortable telling leonard and penny that... my opinion.

Yup.

IMO there are two reasons he mentioned the vapo-rub as opposed to the bath.  Vapo-rub is more directly about touching, whereas the bath would require more explanation as to what touching he did during said bath.  The second reason is that the vapo-rub gave the writers an opportunity for Leonard to make a joke about putting it on Sheldon.

And yup.

Exactly. There's character choices and storytelling choices about why they used that example. I do think it's good though, given the context of Fish Gut and all the speculation about Sheldon's apparent obliviousness, that it seems like he considers the bath to be something he isn't comfortable discussing as it is an intimate, private thing between them, albeit not sexual. 

I also was impressed at how kind Kripke was to Sheldon. He had an opportunity to rip Sheldon to shreds but he didn't. I'm a shipper. LOL!

I absolutely love that too. He was super kind to him. Kripke became a Shamy shipper now after all. Love that.

I just watched it again and noticed two things.  When Kripke asked Sheldon "Did you get any last night?" Sheldon knew what he was asking.  I half-expected him to say, "Get any what?"  Shows where his mind is, even if three months ago he didn't know what a hickey was.

The other thing is, I love Sheldon's facial expression when Kripe first said the reason for the less-than-spectacular work was Sheldon's sex life.  You could see first surprise/confusion and then the expression changed when he decided to go along with it.  Jim is an acting god.

• Like 2

tmp, could not agree more! Although Sheldon was a bit cought cold by Kripkies question if Amy wore any lingerie  :icon_lol: ,  that shows that his approach still is very theoretical! Luv it.

What I can't get out of my mind... this lovely and warm smile Sheldon gave Penny from the fridge. I have never seen him give anyone (exept Amy) such a lovely expression.

So sweet!  :blush:

Edited by Shamynatress
  • Like 1

I love that in that last scene, even though Sheldon wanted to perpetuate the idea that sexual distraction might account for any lapses in his work, he was actually trying to do real work and felt they were making progress. He seemed to find Kripke's questions distracting and wanted to keep working, but, of course, now he's created a monster. :p

I wonder if all this sex gossip will be brought up somewhere down the line. I think we had speculated as to what Amy might think if she were to get wind of it.

BTW, do you think Howard and Raj might have heard the gossip or would they be in on the ruse like Leonard and Penny?