The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJistheBOMB

The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

Just watched it (twice) and am really very pleased with this episode. 

Everything I want to say has been said. No more to add. 

Maybe one thing: I rewatched the Sheldon "uhm" scenes and him leaning in the doorframe about 10 times. The cocky way he pulls his eyebrows up and uses his face almost flirty while talking to Leonard made me feel...................    "no words in this universe can describe this"..............

Mayim did a great job too. wow

• Like 2

it depends for me. if amy wears a nice dress and does her make up hair all nice  for like one night out or something and sheldon doesn't think she looks nice i'd be pissed. but if it was a permanent make over i could understand him being like change back.

Yes. I think it'd be fine to have them dress up nice once and have him notice. I think there are plenty of ways they can make Amy look pretty without being out of character. The thing with the other times she's "dressed up", like for the wedding in TPGE, they deliberately dressed her in a way that made her look incredibly frumpy. That was not nice, at all. They did better in TSS, but I still think they can do better and it'd take very little because she's already pretty as she is, I was saying a while ago that she looks prettier with each passing episode, I don't know what it is. Sheldon does dress up handsome every once in a while, I don't see why she can't. It's not like he doesn't notice when she does. The Starfleet medical officer dress was incredibly hot and incredibly tasteful at the same time and boy did he notice.

But anything too over the top, like putting her in a dress like Bernadette's in TSS or turning her into Mayim would defeat the whole purpose of her character. 

• Like 3

Did anyone else find it sad when Amy called their relationship agreement ridiculous? I thought she found it romantic :( I'm hoping it was just a 'heat of the moment' thing!

Did anyone else find it sad when Amy called their relationship agreement ridiculous? I thought she found it romantic :( I'm hoping it was just a 'heat of the moment' thing!

Hmm....on some level, empirically speaking...it is ridiculous. I think when she's frustrated with him (just as when Leonard is) - the agreements they signed become a source of ire and contention. 

• Like 1

I think there's a part of her that does find it romantic and a part of her that's outgrown it. I mean, it has been a year since they became official and they've been violating it since 2 episodes after it came into play. It is a ridiculous contract in that sense because they're not even abiding by it. 

In terms of writing, I think it was just carelessness on part of the writers. I do think sometimes they slip into normal-girl!Amy mode and forget that she's not meant to be and react like other girls, and this is one example of that. They do say that they try really hard to do things the Shamy way but every once in a while they slip like that. But then next ep you have him put her as his EC for V-day and she's overjoyed, back to old Amy who finds weird things romantic. 

• Like 1

I'm actually not sure she was talking about the relationship agreement since she used the plural, "contracts". Could it be possible she was talking about other forms Sheldon usually makes people sign? Like the one he made Raj sign when he stayed there for a while, or other forms for other particular circumstances?

Another thing I noticed. What I found incredibly mature on Sheldon's part was that he said "a level of intimacy OUR relationship isn't ready for". He didn't talk just about himself for once, he actually considered the unit. Like he had to think for her too because she wasn't thinking of the consequences beyond how great it would be to live with her boyfriend. 

Another thing I noticed. What I found incredibly mature on Sheldon's part was that he said "a level of intimacy OUR relationship isn't ready for". He didn't talk just about himself for once, he actually considered the unit. Like he had to think for her too because she wasn't thinking of the consequences beyond how great it would be to live with her boyfriend. 

He's been using these pronouns alot recently : OUR, WE, US. :wub:

I'm actually not sure she was talking about the relationship agreement since she used the plural, "contracts". Could it be possible she was talking about other forms Sheldon usually makes people sign? Like the one he made Raj sign when he stayed there for a while, or other forms for other particular circumstances?

Yeah--remember how she had to fill out some form or something when she wanted him to go her grandmother's birthday party (or whatever that was)?

I very much noticed this, and it gave so many warm feels. :wub: As we were discussing in the episode thread, Sheldon came across as surprisingly mature and emotionally perceptive in this episode, even though he was a 'coward' in not being able to tell Amy what he felt. Amy was clearly just thinking of the fun aspect of living close to Sheldon, and it was he who had to think of the potential emotional issues and implications of it. HUGE for a personal normally as detached from human intricacies as Sheldon is. Plus, he was also worried about hurting her (despite his protestation against it); as Phanta said, even his 'you can't live here' had a tenderness and commiseration to it. A subtext of 'I'm so sorry to have to do this but I need to clarify this now'.

Just watched the episode again, and OMG the facial expressions for sheldon are all over the place in this one.  He is so darn cute I can't stand it.  I just loved the way he was looking at Amy... even though it was a fight scene, I feel there was a level of intimacy betweent those two in this one that we haven't really seen before.  Just the way he was looking at her... it just got my heart fluttering.

I know, right? There was a tension between the two of them, during the fight, and not just in a bad way.. Sheldon looking up at her with scared, apologetic eyes as she raged at him, and later when she rushed at him and he spontaneously accepted her accusation; the way the two of them stood close together, looking down, when the altercation happened. It's hard to explain. Jim and Mayim are just such amazing actors, and their chemistry adds another degree of magic, even to moments of friction.

Aster - yes, I saw the faint stubble too. They're teasing us with Sheldon's looks nowadays!

Edited by Pomita

pomita, you have a great way of interpreting my heart flutters for me.  thank you.

Edited by BazingaFan

I think what's really bothering me about this episode is that I really identify with Amy and Leonard, especially Amy.  Yes, they were very presumptuous, but they both still got their feelings hurt.  If it were me, I would need to go be alone and lick my wounds for a while (some might call it pouting) and then probably need reassurance from my partner.  We didn't get to see the reassurance that they were still valued and wanted by their SOs, so it sort of left me feeling hurt for them.  It's a good thing I know it happens next week.

I think what's really bothering me about this episode is that I really identify with Amy and Leonard, especially Amy.  Yes, they were very presumptuous, but they both still got their feelings hurt.  If it were me, I would need to go be alone and lick my wounds for a while (some might call it pouting) and then probably need reassurance from my partner.  We didn't get to see the reassurance that they were still valued and wanted by their SOs, so it sort of left me feeling hurt for them.  It's a good thing I know it happens next week.

I don't think that Sheldon or Penny did or said anything that would alter where their relationsips have been up to now.  They just weren't ready to be forced to take that step.  I don't think they rejected their SOs in any way or put them down.  The truth--that Amy and Leonard had made presumptions--came out in the end.  Though there may have been some bruised feelings, no one said anything about not feeling the same way they did before.

Sheldon was very gentle in the way he told amy, you could see he did not want to hurt her. On a side note I have noticed how much sheldon has become more aware of certain situations as well, that probably coincides with his meeting of the minds with Amy

Interesting! Where did you get that tidbit from? So far we know the ep is about Raj and Lucy and Leonard questioning his career. I thought those were going to be the A and B plots. I wonder what the title refers to. 

eta: Now that I think about it, it might refer to the fact that the guys have to go to the school to talk to kids as part of their work contract. I find it difficult that they'd have another episode about the Roommate Agreement so soon after 6x15 and it would seem a weird title for the Relationship Agreement given the current situation with the Shamy (i.e. they only use it once every blue moon when they have to make a point, lol).

Edited by spook

Penny's comment that their boyfriends were jerks seemed like a throwaway line to me. Factually, it was clear that Leonard had been no more of a 'jerk' than Amy - they had both been a little thoughtless and presumptuous. And Sheldon was in the same boat as Penny till he put himself in the wrong by shifting the blame on her. 

I think they probably just needed some girl and guy alone time, after the whole incident, and this was a way of pairing them off accordingly - as well as mending Leonard and Sheldon's dispute just by force of circumstance. After all, their quarrel hadn't been about such a huge issue, it only escalated in the moment.

The ending wasn't neatly tied up, by any means, but it didn't seem unrealistic to me. Just slice-of-life.

pomita, you have a great way of interpreting my heart flutters for me.  thank you.

You're welcome. ;) It's always a pleasure when some of us can share exactly the same feelings about certain scenes.

• Like 1

Another thing which I forgot to mention.. their little bonding moment over Leonard's toilet schedule made me so happy. When he tells her about Leonard's 'uncivilized' behavior earlier, and she says 'like a dogboy' in full agreement and he replies 'exactly'. That's the quirky Shamy chemistry I love, and what brought them together in the first place.

• Like 2

Another thing which I forgot to mention.. their little bonding moment over Leonard's toilet schedule made me so happy. When he tells her about Leonard's 'uncivilized' behavior earlier, and she says 'like a dogboy' in full agreement and he replies 'exactly'. That's the quirky Shamy chemistry I love, and what brought them together in the first place.

YES!!! I was soooo happy with that bit! It was the kind of stuff that I missed so much from the earlier seasons. I wish the writers did more of that, I know they want to move the relationship along and that's fine but I think they can do that and still show their quirky agreements, I think it's perfectly possible to advance the relationship with camaraderie.

• Like 1

Exactly. It's also hilarious how Sheldon feels he's had so much hand in 'improving' Leonard, and Amy totally agrees. :icon_biggrin:

I don't think that Sheldon or Penny did or said anything that would alter where their relationsips have been up to now.  They just weren't ready to be forced to take that step.  I don't think they rejected their SOs in any way or put them down.  The truth--that Amy and Leonard had made presumptions--came out in the end.  Though there may have been some bruised feelings, no one said anything about not feeling the same way they did before.

I agree, neither Sheldon nor Penny did anything wrong.  I'm just saying that since I identified with Amy and Leonard, I projected my own insecurities onto them and found myself looking for what I would have needed in that situation.  I personally would be embarrassed and needed that reassurance from my partner, but then I can be overly sensitive to things like that.

Given the setup for 6x16 I guess we're meant to assume the reassurance partly occurred off screen, but also is partly going to occur on screen during that episode, even if it's not explicitly referring to 6x15. Penny essentially says that it's not that she doesn't want to marry Leonard but she isn't ready and she will propose when she's ready and Sheldon essentially tells Amy she's the most important person in his life. That's reassurance enough, imo.

• Like 2

Given the setup for 6x16 I guess we're meant to assume the reassurance partly occurred off screen, but also is partly going to occur on screen during that episode, even if it's not explicitly referring to 6x15. Penny essentially says that it's not that she doesn't want to marry Leonard but she isn't ready and she will propose when she's ready and Sheldon essentially tells Amy she's the most important person in his life. That's reassurance enough, imo.

tumblr_mf3ccuCYc11rwt0uq.gif