The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

I've just realized something that you guys probably already knew but I was just looking at this gif:

tumblr_mffyjeL9O21rn4qwao1_500.gif

On your tumblr, chloe, and I discovered that I never noticed Sheldon actively curling his hand around Amy's when she went to hold his hand before. I just thought she kinda grabbed it. Well...anyway...it just randomly made my day xD...so thank you!!! 

• Like 1

I've just realized something that you guys probably already knew but I was just looking at this gif:

On your tumblr, chloe, and I discovered that I never noticed Sheldon actively curling his hand around Amy's when she went to hold his hand before. I just thought she kinda grabbed it. Well...anyway...it just randomly made my day xD...so thank you!!! 

I had realized this. It is nice detail :)

Edited by Lissie
  • Like 1

Do you mean this one? :p

I recently watched that episode today and yes, looking back on it it did make me realize just how much more potential the shamy had ;)

As much as I loved the Fish Gut Displacement, I hope they're not going to re-do the sexually aware Amy vs. sexually oblivious Sheldon again or at least not have it become a staple of the Shamy. I would rather they had no reference to sex at all than milk this for too long. I think it'd get old very soon. This video above, the Star Trek doctor role play, are much funnier and more interesting: you have a certain degree of obliviousness coupled with sexual undertones that have a lot more potential, imo. 

I did notice that when I first watched the ep! :) When he doesn't have time to think about things and just reacts he acts totally normal and like he knows what he's doing, like the first time she kissed him.

As much as I loved the Fish Gut Displacement, I hope they're not going to re-do the sexually aware Amy vs. sexually oblivious Sheldon again or at least not have it become a staple of the Shamy. I would rather they had no reference to sex at all than milk this for too long. I think it'd get old very soon. This video above, the Star Trek doctor role play, are much funnier and more interesting: you have a certain degree of obliviousness coupled with sexual undertones that have a lot more potential, imo. 

I did notice that when I first watched the ep! :) When he doesn't have time to think about things and just reacts he acts totally normal and like he knows what he's doing, like the first time she kissed him.

I agree 1,000%. They need to quit with that oblivious Sheldon crap. LOL. We ALL know he knows a HELL of a lot in that department....otherwise he wouldn't have had any part of helping pimp out Leonard to that old lady for starters. LMAO!!

Monique

• Like 1

Yes, exactly I totally agree Monique.   I love Fish Guts episode to death, but Sheldon being totally clueless that what he was doing was turning Amy on was played up entirely for laughs because the writers know the audience will be like "oh isn't it funny how poor asexually like Sheldon doesn't get it that his girlfriend Amy is turned on by what he's doing LOL", but really I think he does get it more often than not and just loves to pretend not to get anything sexual at first becaue he doesnt' want to DO IT yet!  

For example in the season six premiere, he brought Raj along on his anniversary date to keep from engaging in contractually obligated physical contact that he was meant to provide Amy that night. Amy deserved her contact it was in their agreement and she even bleached her face for him lol so you know she was hoping he'd kiss her that night.  But, With Raj there it got him off the hook of doing anything physical and that was exactly what Sheldon wanted to happen!!  He is not dumb, he is also not that innocent like people want to pretend.  Sheldon is a total GENIUS and he is manipulative too and he knows exactly what he wants when he wants it and how to get it even if he has to force people to sign contracts in order to get what he wants from them then break his own rules whenever it benefits him to do so.  Sheldon does whatever it takes to get what he wants from everyone including pretending not to understand what other people are saying so he can get out doing it.  He acts like he didn't get what Amy meant when she asked him to devour her like a sexy praying mantis, he deflected it by saying "I just had cobbler."  as if we are supposed to believe he thought she meant eating food, but we all know he is not that dumb!  SHeldon knew that she meant devour her.  He just didn't want to come right out and say "No, Amy I don't want to" and hurt her feelings and admit he broke their agreement, he made sure to find a LOOPHOLE instead. 

See I have no doubt that Sheldon knows more about S.E.X and human sexuality than he lets on to Amy or his friends or to anyone really because even though he's never had sex himself his friends talk about it all the time especially Howard back in the day before he married Bernadette he was such a perv and Sheldon himself made sexual jokes in very first season of the show quite often it wasn't until season 2 and mostly 3 did the over the top childish behavior and completely asexual like obliviousness to all things sexual jokes really became a major fixture of Sheldon's personality, but even in the pilot Sheldon brings up the notion that Leonard wants to have sex with Penny before Leonard ever even mentions it, he just KNEW that was what Leonard must be thinking about and told him it wasn't going to happen.  Then in episode 2 of TBBT SHeldon makes the joke while helping Leonard bring Penny's furniture up the stairs that the only time men do things for women when they aren't expecting sex is when those men have already had sex!!   He had enough intitution and know how to make sex jokes back then in earliest of episodes, but now all of sudden six seasons in we are to believe he doesn't get sex jokes or comments at all?  yeah i don't buy that. LOL  The writers just play that aspect of his personality up more because its funny and makes him stand out from the other nerds who get all the sex jokes. 

Its like Sheldon is supposed to play the clueless asexual one,  Leonard's the straight man,  Raj plays the one who makes gay comments without realizing it and Howard is the perv that makes fun of them all that is how its been on this show  for years, but that doesn't mean Raj is gay and it doesn't mean SHeldon is asexual and doesn't understand sex at all.  Its all just for laughs. 

The  writers write this show episode by episode as they go along, when they noticed fans in audience laughed when SHeldon didn't get when someone made a sex joke, then they started doing that more and more until SHeldon just became the clueless butt of every sex joke because people though oh isn't it so darn cute how clueless he is, but its not that cute anymore he is a GROWN ASS MAN not a child.  He should be allowed to act like a man and understand things about sex because he is in a relationship now and its not always going to be so cute and funny to see him manipulate his way out of sexual situations with Amy or watch her manipulate him into them.   Eventually they have to just compromise with each other and find away to both enjoy and initatie the physical contact because its only natural when two people are in romantic relationship to hug, kiss, cuddle, hold hands etc and Sheldon is too smart not to know this.

We all know Sheldon has seen and is a fan of too many movies and tv shows that have sex and/or sexual references in them.  For example, Sheldon loves Firefly, which has as one of its main characters a futuristic prostitute Inara so are we really to believe Sheldon doesn't get any of the sexual jokes on the shows he himself loves to watch or that he never watches any of the sexual scenes in his favorite movies or tv shows. OF COURSE HE DOES!

He also realistically would have had to take at least one or two courses in human sexuality to even get through high school and so many  years of college in the first place and we all know that he has Read the Book that Penny and Leonard got him and it gave him nightmares which lets face it we all know is code for WET DREAMS!! lol   Also, He is holding a book about sexual transmitted diseases in promo shot for the next episode.  Sheldon just doesn't like germs so he has avoided sex for years because he doesnt' want to catch anything and believes its unsanitary and because his mother would most likely be very upset if she found out he was having sex before marriage because of her religious beliefs.  He may not be all that religious himself, but Shelly still likes to obey his momma we all know that.  Thats why he gave up on the notion of having a baby through invitro with Amy because he knew his mom would be upset if they had a baby out of wedlock that way. 

Sheldon has found the right person for him though he said so after first date that he saw a "WHOLE NEW SIDE OF AMY FARRAH FOWLER"  that night and that he felt comfortable proceeding to next stage of their relationship with her.  But since Penny threatened to tell mom about the baby idea, he backed off on that and will now most likely do things the conventional way with Amy marry her and then have sex that is if he can keep Amy at bay that long lol.  AMy has already made it clear she wants to marry him in "EXACTLY FOUR YEARS."   But, SHeldon likes to move at a much more glacier like pace.  SHeldon thought being in her apartment after dark after just knowing her for two years was a lot last season, so they will have to meet somewhere in the middle in order to make this work between what Amy wants which is to have Sheldon inflame her loins right away and then get married later which would mean their marriage would happen in season 9 to Sheldon's plans which likely involves waiting until AFTER marriage to have sex to make his mom and likely his meemaw proud.  

SHeldon may be persuaded to change his mind and have sex before marriage, but it's going to take a lot of character development first which means getting SHeldon to actually admit that yes he indeed does get that she want sex badly, but have him tell her he's just not ready yet to go all the way.   I believe he knows what AMy wants, but is just too afraid she'll leave him if he comes right out and says NO AMY I don't want to do this yet, its like they're reverse of stereotype, where young virgin girl is afraid her hot new boyfriend will dump her if she doesn't give it up soon, but she is still holding on to fantasy of waiting until marriage.

Sheldon told Penny when he was drunk he is afraid Amy will leave him so you know he wasn't lying then and he also chose to take care of her while she was sick because he does in fact care about Amy which mean ignoring his own hatred of germs and the smell of vapor rub in order to take care of "his woman"  He wouldn't have done all that if he didn't want to touch Amy ever.  He wants her and he doesn't mind touching her either.  He held her hand already, let her kiss him, agree to cuddle with her and it was HIS IDEAs to do the bathing and the spanking not Amy's so that means he's fine with touching Amy in general, just not yet comfortable with going all the way yet.   He even offered to give Amy a neck massage in exchange for a beverage before they were even techincally a couple last season so that must mean he is willing to give her some pleasure. 

I think its time they stop pretending like Sheldon is just totally oblivious of all things sexual in his relationship with AMy just for the laughs it provides or just because some fans want to hold on to asexual verison of SHeldon forever.  He's in a relationship now, so time to ACT LIKE IT!   Sure his obliviousness/innocence is cute, but there is a way to keep innocent SHeldon without making him look totally clueless all the time or making Amy look like she's just super horny girl who can think of nothing but ways to trick SHeldon into touching her. 

I think there are plenty of other funny things they can do with Shamy that involve Sheldon slowly learning more about what Amy wants and needs from him.  They could have Sheldon and Amy do science experiments again that involve some light physical contact between them and that way Sheldon could understand what is going on and enjoy it without it being just about sex or Amy's horniness.  Have Sheldon actually come up with the experiment and use Amy as his test subject or Have them both volunteer to be in a scientific study together.  Another option is have them play more games together again that involve physical game play, but be on the same team instead of against each other like in the Re-Entry Minimization, it be nice to see them work together as a team against the other couples on the show and have it bring them closer by the end.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 2

Lexi, the parallel you make between Raj's gay jokes and Sheldon obliviousness is actually quite apt. Just as people are getting bored with Raj's jokes which are now way over the top (the one in the Santa Simulation were just so plain predictable it was baffling that they thought they could be funny), oblivious Sheldon would become just as boring and predictable really quickly. I'd rather they just let sex be and never mention it than making Sheldon boring! But people have been mentioning how Lorre might find this whole situation hilarious, so who knows... we might get more of that.  :icon_rolleyes:

I do think however that there is no much point in overanalyzing Sheldon's approach to sex. First of all, all characters on the show are all over the place in terms of development. Sheldon in the first few eps wasn't established as Sheldon yet, but someone in another thread pointed out how his personality changes depending on the role they need him to play: first it was Leonard's sidekick, then the annoying third wheel with L/P (which is when the childlike behavior and sexual obliviousness started), then the boyfriend etc. 

In any case, I think the most likely explanation for his lack of interest in sex doesn't have to do with his mother: he does plenty of things that go against her beliefs, I don't understand why people think that he is old-fashioned regarding sex and marriage, just because of one throw-away comment from Penny which was just a plot device to get him out of having a child in S4. In no other context has he ever mentioned anything about proper conduct in a relationship, sex before marriage, or anything of that kind. He is very clinical when he talks about sex but even when he was implying Penny slept with 30+ men he never had a judgmental tone about him, he was just pointing out what he thought was a fact.

Nor do I believe it has to do necessarily with germs, although that definitely might play a much bigger role than his mother. He has mentioned sex and kissing as unsanitary on more than one occasion. I think the most likely explanation, should he do it at some point, is what Phantagrae always says: he didn't have a normal development and he obsesses over other things so he just does not care. I don't think he is deliberately trying to get out of having sex, I do think he isn't quite *there* yet. I think people forget this is a child prodigy and child prodigies by definition are pretty messed up because of what they've been put through.

Different people have different sex drives, and I do believe his is very low to the point of being seemingly absent. I do agree that it is often pushing the envelope not to get him to understand certain innuendoes etc because as you said he watched a LOT of stuff with sex in it, but I also think that it is perfectly realistic for one to be exposed to sex and be oblivious when sexual advances are directed their way. Just like Leonard is constantly exposed to romance but is oblivious when a girl hits on him. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 4

I do think however that there is no much point in overanalyzing Sheldon's approach to sex.

I agree.  While the writers do pay attention to character development, TBBT is first and foremost a comedy.  If, in a given episode, it is funny for Sheldon to be clueless that Amy is enjoying being spanked, that's what they'll do.  If there's a joke to be made in which he is mature enough to understand the implication of a chicken pecking for corn, that's how he will be in that episode.

Edited by tmp

Different people have different sex drives, and I do believe his is very low to the point of being seemingly absent. I do agree that it is often pushing the envelope not to get him to understand certain innuendos etc because as you said he watched a LOT of stuff with sex in it, but I also think that it is perfectly realistic for one to be exposed to sex and be oblivious when sexual advances are directed their way. Just like Leonard is constantly exposed to romance but is oblivious when a girl hits on him. 

Dead on.

The writers often make the characters oblivious to their comments and actions as if they remember nothing over the previous seasons. Raj making gay references, Leonard not recalling all the women who jump him and take him to bed, Amy's inappropriate comments about Penny. In TBBT world this is perfectly realistic.

Beside Sheldon being unaware of sexual advances is some thing that suits their agenda for the Shamy.

I'll play some devil's advocate here. There are a lot of good reasons already mentioned why relationship drama is unnecessary and implausible for Sheldon and Amy. None of that matters if Chuck decides to do it.

I could see him wanting to just test the relationship and expose some dysfunction. Sheldon and Amy get along so well, but a problem for Amy is Sheldon's stinginess with affection. This could be played later on as differences in physical affection (especially libido) or just Amy feeling unloved. We have seen Sheldon admit to having strong feelings about Amy to both Penny and Leonard, but he has yet to approach the same level of openness with Amy. However, 6.10 was a good step in the right direction.

Another reason the writers might add drama is to break Sheldon's heart. Having your heart broken at some point is almost universal and may be something they decide Sheldon has to experience to gain access to a full range of emotion. Sheldon already experienced some empathy during 6.02. He felt fear at the idea of Amy leaving him, but that's not even close to the full wretchedness of someone breaking your heart. I don't think this has to require a break up. What Sheldon might consider a betrayal of their relationship (aside from the obvious) is hard to fathom. But, Amy feeling unloved and accepting a kiss from someone else would play on Sheldon's insecurities of her leaving him because he isn't all she deserves.

I think a full break up is unlikely—it would probably be too sad but I can think of a way it could still be played for laughs. I find it difficult to believe Amy would break up with Sheldon, but if she did he could refuse to admit they are broken up based on some RA technicality. He carries on insisting they are still together and either his efforts to fix things work or it gives him some time in denial to come to terms with it. It would still be sad but a short period as the crazy ex-boyfriend would take some of the sting out.

Sheldon's emotions tend to be strong and at the surface when he is feeling them. It's likely that this sort of drama is too heavy for the show. I think the best reason why drama is unlikely is that Sheldon and Amy are so funny when they're together. H&B are cute and a little funny. While I like L&P, I think they aren't particularly cute or funny. At least they are never allowed to be.

• Like 1

I think the most likely explanation, should he do it at some point, is what Phantagrae always says: he didn't have a normal development and he obsesses over other things so he just does not care. I don't think he is deliberately trying to get out of having sex, I do think he isn't quite *there* yet. I think people forget this is a child prodigy and child prodigies by definition are pretty messed up because of what they've been put through.

I agree. To quote Jim, again from an interview during season 2; he was asked whether Sheldon 'considers himself above having a romantic relationship'. His reply, after some consideration - 'I don't think he considers himself above it; he's basically opted out. He's too focused on science, and it doesn't occur to him'.

I think this was (as usual) an accurate description of Sheldon back then, and this characteristic certainly leaves a window open for him to opt in again, some day.

Edited by Pomita

It looks like they have made a template for jokes related to S/A  this season...its almost always about ovaries , loins, hickeys, testosterone level etc etc...

Did they hire a biology expert also or what ???? ... this running gag is just not funny anymore

I'll play some devil's advocate here. There are a lot of good reasons already mentioned why relationship drama is unnecessary and implausible for Sheldon and Amy. None of that matters if Chuck decides to do it.

I could see him wanting to just test the relationship and expose some dysfunction. Sheldon and Amy get along so well, but a problem for Amy is Sheldon's stinginess with affection. This could be played later on as differences in physical affection (especially libido) or just Amy feeling unloved. We have seen Sheldon admit to having strong feelings about Amy to both Penny and Leonard, but he has yet to approach the same level of openness with Amy. However, 6.10 was a good step in the right direction.

Another reason the writers might add drama is to break Sheldon's heart. Having your heart broken at some point is almost universal and may be something they decide Sheldon has to experience to gain access to a full range of emotion. Sheldon already experienced some empathy during 6.02. He felt fear at the idea of Amy leaving him, but that's not even close to the full wretchedness of someone breaking your heart. I don't think this has to require a break up. What Sheldon might consider a betrayal of their relationship (aside from the obvious) is hard to fathom. But, Amy feeling unloved and accepting a kiss from someone else would play on Sheldon's insecurities of her leaving him because he isn't all she deserves.

I think a full break up is unlikely—it would probably be too sad but I can think of a way it could still be played for laughs. I find it difficult to believe Amy would break up with Sheldon, but if she did he could refuse to admit they are broken up based on some RA technicality. He carries on insisting they are still together and either his efforts to fix things work or it gives him some time in denial to come to terms with it. It would still be sad but a short period as the crazy ex-boyfriend would take some of the sting out.

Sheldon's emotions tend to be strong and at the surface when he is feeling them. It's likely that this sort of drama is too heavy for the show. I think the best reason why drama is unlikely is that Sheldon and Amy are so funny when they're together. H&B are cute and a little funny. While I like L&P, I think they aren't particularly cute or funny. At least they are never allowed to be.

Oh there's plenty of scenarios to do break them up if they wanted to. The question is why. I mean, if you have a couple that does get along and has no problems, why can't you, for once, tell a story about a stable, mature relationship instead of one fueled with drama. A little drama here and there (like 6x01) is fine, everyone has some bumps along the road, but I think every time they've had an argument, even in the past, the staple of this couple was that they're both so logical and weird that they negotiate a peace agreement very quickly. They're very good at compromise, in their own weird way. That's very refreshing on a show.

Also, the whole thing about Amy having a problem with Sheldon's stinginess in terms of affection... If you think about it, that is us projecting onto her. Not something coming from her. She's never once complained about that on the show, she has never shown any sign of having a problem with Sheldon's aversion to physical contact and she just seems so happy all the time. She knew what she got herself into from the start, it would be very hard for me to believe that all of a sudden this would become such a problem that she would leave him, or worse, cheat on him. 

To be honest I can only see them have a full, definitive, break up if the writers decide they want to get rid of Amy. She's been around and with him too long now for the relationship to be something they can backtrack on while keeping her around.

It looks like they have made a template for jokes related to S/A  this season...its almost always about ovaries , loins, hickeys, testosterone level etc etc...

Did they hire a biology expert also or what ???? ... this running gag is just not funny anymore

That's more Amy jokes than Shamy jokes. While I don't find them that funny they don't bother me either (I personally found the Penny jokes last year much funnier), I just wish they used her time to give her some funnier lines than that. It does get boring. She had some classic hilarious lines in the previous 2 seasons and when they do give her something else to say it's usually hilarious this year too (The amygdala joke, the live operation joke, the whole spat with Bernadette, "you've got to be the weirdest couple I know", and so on) but rarer.

I can maybe see why that is, they spent 2 years developing her character to the end of S5 that it seems they're just leaving her be at the moment, there isn't a lot going on with her besides being a catalyst for Sheldon's emotional maturity and so maybe they're not investing as much time on her stuff as they did in the past. I hope they'll change that soon though.

• Like 1

Yeah, bravo to the writers for the new language on the show. :icon_rolleyes: Amy using the word loins just makes me cringe. I liked her in the last episode but I had to … yet again, ignore one of her comments. She suggested they all go into the bathroom and cheat on the guys.

It is possible that Amy will eventually cheat on Sheldon? This might bring the subject of them not having a sexual relationship into question. I'm not sure how I want that to go anymore. Most of the time I like Amy and find her cute but I'm still not convinced by all these posts about Sheldon. They are trying to change the character and everyone is looking for subtext from the past. I find it a little unbelievable. But maybe it's the salivating of the fans rather than the show that I'm reacting too.

Edited by Moonbase

Yeah , Physics replaced with Biology ..... but hey still its SCIENCE :p

Yeah but we all know that isn't the case, it's been replaced by relationships and the ensuring drama of relationships... or half the new threads on this forums wouldn't be here.

Edited by Moonbase

Yeah, bravo to the writers for the new language on the show. :icon_rolleyes: Amy using the word lions just makes me cringe. I liked her in the last episode but I had to … yet again, ignore one of her comments. She suggested they all go into the bathroom and cheat on the guys.

It is possible that Amy will eventually cheat on Sheldon? This might bring the subject of them not having a sexual relationship into question. I'm not sure how I want that to go anymore. Most of the time I like Amy and find her cute but I'm still not convinced by all these posts about Sheldon. They are trying to change the character and everyone is looking for subtext from the past. I find it a little unbelievable. But maybe it's the salivating of the fans rather than the show that I'm reacting too.

I think if they ever do get her to cheat it would be hitting rock bottom, that's even worse than Penny/Raj. I did not like her in the last ep at all, and that comment didn't help matters either. As I said, there's been no indication ever in the show that she's unsatisfied or unhappy with the relationship, so to have her suddenly crave for physical intimacy with anyone, no matter who it is, would be really out of the blue and probably just to play to a misguided agenda. I think it'd be really hard to recover her as a character as that would be the worst thing anyone has ever done on the show. And to be honest I think it'd be far too serious a topic to touch on this kind of show so I'd be really shocked if that were to happen: I mean, if you're saying she'd cheat on him because he's stingy with affections it's essentially saying she'd go lose her virginity in a one night stand by cheating on her boyfriend who she knows is as stunted emotionally as they come. That's pretty heavy stuff for a sitcom. Yes, it's Lorre, so who knows, but I hope even he realizes that's going a bit too far.

Re: Sheldon... I think people look for subtext way too much on either side of the argument. Yes, he is changing but nothing he has done so far has been completely inconsistent with who he was/is. I can give tons of other examples where the way he's been written hasn't been consistent or followed continuity in previous seasons, even before Amy. I just think people are oversensitive when he does something that's perceived as OOC with Amy, as opposed to other circumstances, because they idea of him in a physical relationship makes them uncomfortable. And other people are oversensitive when he does something that keeps him in character with Amy, as opposed to other circumstances, and start grasping at straws with extreme psychologism like he were a real person because the idea of them never having a physical relationship makes them uncomfortable. I am in no way worried about Sheldon at this stage. I like him a lot right now, I trust that the writers will never change him completely but at the same time will allow him to evolve, and there hasn't been one moment since Amy came along where I felt they didn't handle him well.

Amy I am worried about, because she obviously isn't as cherished by the writers as Sheldon is and I'm trying to figure out whether people who think Lorre has an agenda about the Shamy are right or not. At this stage I'm on the fence, but I'm optimistic. Reading the taping reports for the next two eps I really like Amy again, so I'm not worried that much at this stage, this last ep might have been just a bump in the road. As I said, they might simply not put much thought in her right now because they developed her so much in the previous 2 seasons so they're just giving her throw-way lines for laughs most of the time and are focusing on other things.

It's funny you talk about drama in the relationships because the only drama is provided by Leonard and Penny and they've been there all along. S/A and H/B, so far, have been cruising happily with little or no issues. The drama comes from people discussing what might happen in the future and by people freaking out one way or the other. The show has never been only about science, it's always been also about scientists in social situations. Sex jokes have been part of the show from day 1. While the first two eps this season were relationship-heavy, they were only 2, overall the amount of drama has been kept to a minimum on the show, it's on here that's been hyped up. You can't blame people for finding relationships fascinating, it's always been the case in every single show on the face of the planet. Like people say many times, you come for the laughs, you get attached to the characters, you stay for the characters (and their relationships). People like to speculate, you have to keep in mind that whatever is said here doesn't change what the writers want or do not want to do. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

I didn't particularly like Amy's 'cheating' comment either, but I took it as an entirely throwaway line, much like Sheldon's 'I may have to cut her loose'. Neither of those had anything to do with the strength or otherwise of their relationship, they were just examples of how both of them tend to get hyper and over-excited and make odd comments in specific situations, like Sheldon freaking out over Hawking or Amy enthusing at a girl's night out.

Also, Amy being crass with the wording of her 'biological' dialogue has been there right from the beginning (areolas, anyone?). It happens because she IS a biologist, and she was and is clueless about social appropriateness. So naturally she uses the same terminology when speaking with/about Sheldon and her newly discovered urges. Like it or not, it's a part of her character, like Sheldon babbling about menses. For her it will always be her 'uterus quivering' or 'limbic system lusting', and (except for some extreme cases) I like it that way, because that's sciency-Amy rolled into romantic-Amy.

• Like 2

I didn't particularly like Amy's 'cheating' comment either, but I took it as an entirely throwaway line, much like Sheldon's 'I may have to cut her loose'. Neither of those had anything to do with the strength or otherwise of their relationship, they were just examples of how both of them tend to get hyper and over-excited and make odd comments in specific situations, like Sheldon freaking out over Hawking or Amy enthusing at a girl's night out.

Also, Amy being crass with the wording of her 'biological' dialogue has been there right from the beginning (areolas, anyone?). It happens because she IS a biologist, and she was and is clueless about social appropriateness. So naturally she uses the same terminology when speaking with/about Sheldon and her newly discovered urges. Like it or not, it's a part of her character, like Sheldon babbling about menses. For her it will always be her 'uterus quivering' or 'limbic system lusting', and (except for some extreme cases) I like it that way, because that's sciency-Amy rolled into romantic-Amy.

The uterus quivering is another horrible line. And its hardly scienific. A uterus does not quiver over a guy. A woman may quiver but using the word uterus doesn't make it a science comment.

• Like 1

I think if they ever do get her to cheat it would be hitting rock bottom, that's even worse than Penny/Raj. I did not like her in the last ep at all, and that comment didn't help matters either. As I said, there's been no indication ever in the show that she's unsatisfied or unhappy with the relationship, so to have her suddenly crave for physical intimacy with anyone, no matter who it is, would be really out of the blue and probably just to play to a misguided agenda. I think it'd be really hard to recover her as a character as that would be the worst thing anyone has ever done on the show. And to be honest I think it'd be far too serious a topic to touch on this kind of show so I'd be really shocked if that were to happen: I mean, if you're saying she'd cheat on him because he's stingy with affections it's essentially saying she'd go lose her virginity in a one night stand by cheating on her boyfriend who she knows is as stunted emotionally as they come. That's pretty heavy stuff for a sitcom. Yes, it's Lorre, so who knows, but I hope even he realizes that's going a bit too far.

I think there's been plenty of evidence that Amy is unhappy with Sheldon. The terrible anniversary dinner they had. The way he wouldn't go to see her family and the fact he's not sleeping with her. Amy has loads of reasons to question this relationship, of course they have allowed her to accept these things but they could just as easliy make her completely fed up next time it happens. I certainly can't see what she gets out of it, except she idolises him.

The idea that the show always had the romance of Leonard and Penny is true, but much less than people perceive. There have been 122 episodes of the Big Bang Theorya so far, and Leonard & Penny have only been a couple for 41 episodes to date.

Leonard asked her out in S1 finale but it lead nowhere. They didn't start dating until Season 3.01 and it lasted 19 epsiodes.

They then didn't date again for a whopping 40 episodes and got back together in 5.13. When you think about it, much of this relationship through the other 81 episodes was about expentancy, the unrealised dream. There were also big gaps when they were dating other people.