The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

I think there's been plenty of evidence that Amy is unhappy with Sheldon. The terrible anniversary dinner they had. The way he wouldn't go to see her family and the fact he's not sleeping with her. Amy has loads of reasons to question this relationship, of course they have allowed her to accept these things but they could just as easliy make her completely fed up next time it happens. I certainly can't see what she gets out of it, except she idolises him.

The idea that the show always had the romance of Leonard and Penny is true, but much less than people perceive. There have been 122 episodes of the Big Bang Theorya so far, and Leonard & Penny have only been a couple for 41 episodes to date.

Leonard asked her out in S1 finale but it lead nowhere. They didn't start dating until Season 3.01 and it lasted 19 epsiodes.

They then didn't date again for a whopping 40 episodes and got back together in 5.13. When you think about it, much of this relationship through the other 81 episodes was about expentancy, the unrealised dream. There were also big gaps when they were dating other people.

There is no evidence she is unhappy with Sheldon overall. There have been instances were she's been angry at him, but for very specific reasons. There were very specific things he did to upset her, and in most occasions she had every right to be upset. She was angry on the anniversary dinner because he brought Raj along, but she was excited about it beforehand, even about all the things that were in the relationship agreement that nobody but the two of them would consider romantic. She was angry because he acted like a jerk when he promised to go with her to her aunt's birthday party. But then this season he was going to go with her to a funeral, which, to me, is the mirror image of that one event where he screwed up but this time he made it right. I think that whole episode was him making things "right" for all he never did in the past. Given TFGD, and the way this season is going, I wouldn't be surprised if on Valentine's day we get an episode where he makes up for the anniversary dinner. 

She has also never said anything about being unhappy with the lack of physical intimacy: she has clearly told Penny and Bernadette she thinks theirs are the weirdest relationships in her opinion and when Bernadette challenged her on her sex life she did not get upset, she said "when we do make love", indicating she's patiently waiting and not expecting anything any time soon. She has her plan to marry him but she knows he's at flight risk. It's obvious she wants it, but so far there's not been any indication that she isn't willing to wait anymore or is trying to push him. At all. Even in TFGD, she was milking what he was offering but never suggested anything and didn't expect anything at all to start with.

There have been plenty of scenes throughout the series showing that the reason why they work so well is because she is a lot like him, she finds things romantic that nobody else ever would (the relationship agreement, the date nights, the Cooper Coupons, the tiara, etc). She isn't with him just because she idolizes him. The thing is that since they've given her her girl posse, people forget she is meant to be like Sheldon in many ways and I think the writers themselves forget about that, but she's not. Any other girl would not be in this relationship to start with. 

That of course does not mean they can't go down that route of frustrated!Amy later on, if they want to. All I'm saying is that I can't buy a sudden frustrated!Amy at this point in time, they would need to build that up more gradually. But so far it's only some people interpreting the situation the way a normal person would. And I think that, precisely because that's how a normal person would react, that might make Amy a bit too normal. I don't know how I feel about Amy becoming too normal, she would lose a lot of the appeal that she has, imo, the same way people don't want Sheldon to become too normal. The Shamy itself would lose a lot of what makes it special. If Amy starts acting too normal, then she becomes just any girl and there's no point in it, IMO, because Sheldon could then be dating anyone and I'm not particularly interested in this relationship because I want to see Sheldon dating. I'm interested in it because I find the concept of the two Homo Novus dating fascinating. Girlfriend frustrated with boyfriend breaking up with him/cheating on him? It's been done in countless TV shows. Homo Novus navigating their own version of a relationship? Never done before. The writers have also said that they stop and think "this is how we would do it, but how would they do it?" every time they approach the Shamy, so I hope they never write them like a normal couple, ever.

As for Leonard and Penny, I'm aware that the weren't together all the time, but what I'm saying is that even when they weren't there was a certain degree of "drama", if you will, because of Leonard's longing, their other relationships when everyone knew they were meant to be, etc. Two people don't have to be together to provide relationship drama or a romantic undertone to the series. There's actually a lot more drama when they aren't together than when they are.

• Like 2

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

Wow there have been a lot of comments made since I posted been busy with Christmas so whether than refer to them all I'll simply say that though I agree that character development on this show is not always straight forward and consistent all the time there has always been a pretty clear path for Shamy and life changing character development happening with them ever since their very first scene together from moment Howard said "Good God, what have we done!" 

I believe writers had every intention of putting Sheldon together with Amy from the start.  They knew that in order to break sheldon out of his asexual like robotic type behavior they would need someone on par with Sheldon's quirkness and asexuality in beginning to make Sheldon interested in her straight off which is why Amy was totally against all things physical in beginning of their relationship too and acted exactly like a Female verison of SHeldon because that was a way of HOOKING sheldon so to speak.  But, now they've pretty much done a total 180 on her character and she actually wants and desires sex and physical affection/love from him on a regular basis she comments about either to Penny, and Bernadette or to Sheldon directly.   She went as far as to say that if SHeldon ever proposed to me during sex my ovaries would clamp on to him and never let go.  That is not just random, that was clear choice of the writers to change Amy's behavior in order to allow a relationship to develop more.

She changed because as Bill, CHurk and Steve said at Comic Con Amy longs to experience the things that she didn't ever experience when she was growing up and that includes having a real boyfriend and making love to him someday.  But, they also said that Sheldon doesnt' really care about such things and is focused mostly on science, but they alsodidn't say that sheldon was "asexual" but instead Bill said he is "devouted to science" and that "only time will tell."   That means they plan on dragging this whole will they won't they have sex thing out for long time just lik they drag out Raj not be able to talk to women or Penny saying I love you to Leonard. 

But now Raj talks to girls all the time just has to be holding a beer or have one sitting on table so people know he drank one and Penny has said I love you. to Leonard now after five seasons.  Its been two full seasons of Shamy now and we're in the third one, so I can realistically see two more before sex happens which also just so happens to go along with Amy's four year marriage comment which would mean that if timeline maintains they could get married and have sex in same season which would be season 9.  But show right now is contracted to go on until at least season 8, so writers don't even know if show will be on by then, but it gives Shamy fans something to long for and to keep WATCHING for which will keep ratings high and give CBS a reason to continue the show further.

So there is hope for Sheldon too and that is is my point its not about Sheldon and Amy having sex just to appease Amy's sex drive or just for the laughs, but the writers are taking us all on a journey and we get to watch Sheldon grow up from a guy who has never really cared that much about sex or romance, and has been entirely devouted to science and physics to a man who loves his girl so much that his sex drive finally kicks into high gear and he decides he does in fact want her both emotionally and physically. 

Remember also in beginning there was a time when Howard didn't want to be tied down to Bernadette because he thought he wanted someone hotter and someone jewish to appease his mother.  But then he told her at the wedding that "though there was a time where I couldn't imagine spending my life with just one person.  Now I can't imagine spending one day of it without you."   That was clear 180 on Howard there from pervert sex obssessed geek who couldn't get a woman to married and very much in love with just one woman who is of an entirely different religious background.

Well I totally believe that what Sheldon said to Howardette during their wedding will come back into play later on when/if he wants to marry AMy someday he said "tHe idea of sharing one's life with another person has always puzzled me maybe because I'm so interesting all by myself, but I hope you two find as much happiness together as I find on my own."    He also told Leonard that season that "physics makes me so happy" and moaned in a sexual manner which ties into what Bill said about his devotion to science.  

SHeldon has made himself happy for so long he doesn't think he needs someone else to do it for him, but that has been changing since he made Amy little by little so there IS A PLAN!  and it all comes into play even stuff said when  writers first created Amy can be tied into what happens after they put them together like what Sheldon said about wanting to have a baby with her back then was for purely scientific reasons and I do not believe its a throw away for SHeldon to want to please his mom, he does it in several episodes and even Leonard and Penny know to call her when SHeldon gets too out of line cause she will set him straight.  Sheldon has not yet reconciled his desire to do what makes him happy only which is focus on science and what others want him to do Penny, his nerd guy friends, his mom etc which is learn to love and be more loving to them ALL.   Which is why I think the other characters are so helpful to him whenever he has a relationship dilemma with Amy its because they know this is Sheldons' opportunity to grow up and act like a man in love like Howard did and like Leonard and Raj desperately want to do themselves someday. 

Sheldon may not be that interested in sex, but he did find kissing Amy for first time in his own words "FASCINATING!" and he does not more about sex than he lets on.   He does not totally hate sex either and he still makes sex jokes now and then and throughout the series not just in first two episodes, but even in season 6, he made that oral sex chicken joke and Spiderman can't have sex with a spider comment, and last season joke at Howard's bachelor party,so there is consistency there going all way back to episode 1 and 2 of the show.  

And just like what SHeldon said about holding hands he said "i'm not a fan." instead of saying I hate it.  He's not a fan of it because he said its  "Unhygenic, looks dumb and is sweaty" well guess what sex is all of those things too  and I'm sure SHeldon thinks the same about sex that he does about hand holding that its unsanitary he said so more than once so yes his germphobia absolutely does ties into his feelings about sex.

And so does his childhood with two parents who fought all the time and his strict religious upbringing.  It isn't just one throw away comment about Sheldon changing his mind about having a baby, its a consistent pattern that he struggles with the way he was brought up and it reflects in his behavior now all the time.  His reasons for spanking Amy came from his father spanking his brother.  His reason for choosing not to have a invitro baby with her came from him not wanting his religious mom to get mad at him over it. Yes he doesn't Always do what his mother tells him, but in a way she knows how to trick him better than Amy.  Mary is the one who got SHeldon to renew his relationship with Amy after he got all depressed and bought a ton of cats.  Sheldon knew the reason Leonard wanted a cat was because he was upset that Penny was seeing someone else and was feeling lonely, so later when Amy and him break up he goes to the extreme and bought a bunch of cats because he was lonely, but he tried to act like he wasn't.  It was his mother that used reverse psychology to get him to admit he wanted Amy back in his life again.  So when it comes to sex you can bet his issues with it stem from her too.  Its partially his devotion to science, but partially his desire to defy his mother who likely wants grandchildren while at same time obey his mother in a way by not having sex before marriage.  Sheldon is mixed up!!  HE has always been mixed up about his love/hate relationship with his mom and just like how Howard has issues with his mom and Leonard too, they just all manifest themselves in different ways. 

The sex part of it is not just oh Sheldon doesn't care about sex and has low sex drive and that is only reason he wanted do it.  No, he also thinks its unsanitary and hates germs and he also KNOWS it will upset his mom if he has a baby out of wedlock or disobeys Jesus.  Doesn't mean he won't still do it anyway, just means he isn't totally clueless about his mother's stance on the matter or his own stance, but he takes his own opinion higher than anyone elses and that includes his mom and Amy.   

Sheldon tries to act like he's evolved past all that "human emotion" type stuff, but it constantly seeps out when he gets upset or when he realizes he upset his mom or Amy.  He always gets super apologetic afterwards with them because he obviously wants their love and affection.  He hated it that his mom was giving attention to his friends when she came to visit and not him and he did the same thing when Amy started dating Stuart he got jealous.  Also when Amy made him spagetthi with hot dogs cut up in like his mom use to make she made the point to say that human beings form attachments when they grow up and in your case to your mother and superheroes.  That means Amy is quite aware of SHeldon's attachment to his mom, but Sheldon's reaction at the end when he realizes her plan to make him happier was working proves that SHeldon doesnt' consciously realize how much his mom affects his decision making and what he likes and doesn't like.  He likes his mom's cooking because his mom made it just for him, he loves soft kitty because his mom sang it to him when he was sick and that showed she loved him whenever she does that for him and so he made sure to put in agreement that Amy has to take care of him when he is sick and he chose to take care of her and even said he sing it to her and do exactly what his mom does for him when he is sick, bath him, rub his chest etc. Sheldon's attachment to his mom and issues with sex go hand in hand just like Howard's oedipal complex.  Its too naive to pretend like Sheldon's mother has no impact on what he thinks or how he behaves. OF COURSE SHE DOES!   writers have made it quite clear that she does and now Amy is having a similar affect on him and that is what freaks him out.  Sheldon doesn't want to give into them.  HE wants to be in total control and that is why he loves science so much its logical and he can control himself better with science, with people its much harder and so he tries to avoid dealing with his issues by pretending he just doesn't get women or sex or emotional irrational type behavior at all.  Lots of people do that in real life too not just Sheldon.  

After all, He is still a human being which means he still gets physical urges just like everyone else he even admitted this to Amy in a roundabout way.  I mean the man even has to hide in a closet to play hackey sac because he doesn't want his friends to know about it, so of course he can hide his other urges as well its really not that difficult for him to do that.   He just really really good at supressing his urges and emotions.  Thats why he drinks tea every time he gets upset and just all time in general because tea helps keep you calm especially chamomillle tea Sheldons' favorite.  I do not think any of this stuff is all just concidence it all ties together to quite well actually.  But, notice whenever he is drunk just like any person his inhibitions go away and his real fears and feelings come out to the surface.  None of that is just concidence its all part of what makes Sheldon who he is right now.

Sure I agree with those that say the characters are not always nice and neat and constantly consistent with their behaviors in every episode, but still there are clear reasons why each character on show makes big changes that effect everyone else on the show and writers have put Shamy together so they must like the relationship too and have plans for it to evolve the characters further.  Sheldon is  very slowly developing into a man who is in love with his girlfriend and a man that can show her signs of physical affection which will lead to sexual desire just like LEonard said after Sheldon's transformers speech.  The writers have them say these things for a REASON!!  Its pretty clear thats direction they're headed its just a matter of how long will they milk the clueless obvlivious verison of SHeldon til they make him do something dramatic like kiss Amy or have sex with  her.  I do hope they at least kiss this season at some point and its better if Sheldon kisses Amy to really drive home the idea that Sheldon is willing to kiss her and actually WANTS too. 

Edited by Superlovelexi

Sheldon has become exactly the lousy boyfriend I expected him to be. He offers very little to Amy. I don't think she is happy with the way things are at all. She was so desperate to be touched she lied about being ill and Bernadette quite rightly pointed out this wasn't a good sign. She's just utterly besotted with him. Who can blame her? he is a hottie but thats about all he's got. The relationship just seems unbalanced to me, with Amy loving Sheldon much more than she gets back.

On another note, when Sheldon was paired briefly with Ramona and they flirted I saw a little heat. Then the scene with Leonard's mother (when they were supposed to be talking about karaoke) was smoking. Even the panti pinata, the glares between Sheldon and Penny were the only real shenny moment I ever had. But so far, with Sheldon and Amy I don't see any heat between these two actors. I guess it will come down to the acting when the day comes. Maybe they are hiding their light under a bushel because I can't see any sparks. What does everyone else think?

Hmm...that's an interesting point. I think Sheldon does flirt with Amy a little like the time he spoke to her after she got pissed at Wil Wheaton, But once again, in the situations you mentioned it wasn't really intentional flirting. Sheldon was mostly oblivious to the 'heat' that you mentioned and it was part of the dramatic irony used for laughs. Sheldon and Amy have done a few things I can think of with major sexual undertones where Sheldon is still supposedly innocent about the whole thing (although I do question why Sheldon told Amy 'don't stop' when playing Star-trek doctor, that was getting pretty warm if you ask me).

Say there are fewer moment between those two though, perhaps that may be because as Sheldon becomes more sexually aware, he knows to avoid those situations more instead of falling into the sexual trap. Now, however, when he does get into those rare situations with Amy, you get the slightest hint that he knows what's going on - showing that there is a little development there.

...I'll be honest though, it would be nice to see a little eye-coitus between them in the future :p.

• Like 2

I think Sheldon  has shown plenty of affection to Amy especailly when you consider how he usually treats most people.  He wasn't very nice that Nowitzi girl he just liked that she worshipped him and his work.  He is just an egomaniac so he likes to be adored,  but with Amy he actually has mutual admiration where he admires her back.   He usually thinks most everyone is beneath him and he doesn't like to be around sick people at all.   I mean when he thought Penny was sick Sheldon wanted her to leave his apartment immediately and started spraying Lysol everywhere.  But with Amy he actually took care of her for DAYS! and did all things his mother does for him and things he forces Leonard adn Penny to do for him when he's sick.  Sheldon chose in that situation to be compassionate and caring when he could have chosen to just walk away again and be selfish I think that was great character development on his part.

As for Amy I think longer she and Sheldon are together the more she desires and wants from him. At first she was just like him even more so saying things like "Romantic relationships are unneccesary cultural construct that add no value to human relationships"  and now she wants to marry him someday and wear couple costumes and have romantic anniversary celebrations.   She has been influenced by Penny and Bernadette's relationships with Leonard and Howard and I think that she wants more of that in her relationship with Sheldon, because when it comes to intellectuall things they've been most in sync ever since the beginning compared to other two couples.  I think Amy has every right to want Sheldon's love and affection after all she is willing to give him just as much love and affection back.

And I do think Sheldon is slowly coming around to wanting too.  He has already shown some physical desire for Amy, like you mentioned Razberrypie during the Star Trek doctor scene he didn't want her to stop that was really obvious moment and the time he said "pretending to have sexual intercourse with you is giving me a great deal of satifisfaction."  lol  Shows he definitely has potential to do it for real and enjoy that too.  But, also when Amy asked him if he was actually suppressing his jealousy for her when Amy had a thing for Zac, sheldon said "I think I'll eat my lunch at home." and when he hit Leonard with a train when it sounded like Leonard enjoyed being with her at the wedding, and he even had the nerve to show up at movie theater and propose they become boyfriend and girlfriend while she was on a date with someone else and try to beat up his idol for insulting her.  Sheldon definitely wants Amy, if he didn't he never would have asked her to be his girlfriend or gave her a bath while he thought she was sick.  That is some real love right there. :) because SHeldon has never asked any other girl to be his girlfriend and he hates to get sick, but he took the risk for her.

Also, I don't think  Amy pretending to be sick for longer than she was is any crazier than Sheldon pretending the lights when out just to get Leonard to reinstate the roommate agreement.  They both do crazy stuff like that to get what they want from people. Two peas in a pod I would say.

Amy and Sheldon are perfect for each other because they both like to manipulate others to get them to do what they want them to and it all works out in the end too because Amy got her physical contact from Sheldon like she wanted and Sheldon got the roommate agreement reinstated.   Amy even spreads her sent to mark her territory and she believes it works because Penny is now her best friend.  Sheldon hitting his best friend with a train for even suggesting something sexual may be going on between her and Leonard shows that all though sheldon may not be ready for sex he wants Amy all to himself no matter what.  He gave up on that grad girl Nowitzi as soon as she suggested sharing credit on his work and he never tried to do anything nice for her like he has for Amy he just accept all nice things she was willing to do for him. Sheldon was totally selfish in his relationships with his assistants, but not with Amy. Sheldon was willing to share credit with Amy when he told Leonard about the game "We invented" counterfactuals and he buys her gifts even though he hates the convention of gift giving.  But He was not ready yet to share his soda with her at the movies be cause that involves backwash and sharing germs, but then he in more recent episode he took a cookie from Leonard's hand and ATE IT!  without complaining so that was a big step for him even though it happen so fast and seem so natural when he did it too and he's known Leonard for years and years.    So maybe one day he will be willing to share his food or drink with Amy too and even more special if one day he lets Amy sit on his spot or sit in his lap while he sits on his spot.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 1

I do think Sheldon has shown some physical desire for Amy, like you mentioned Razberrypie during the Star Trek doctor scene he didn't want her to stop that was really obvious moment and the time he said "pretending to have sexual intercourse with you is giving me a great deal of satifisfaction."  lol  Shows he definitely has potential to do it for real and enjoy that too.  But, also when Amy asked him if he was actually suppressing his jealousy for her when Amy had a thing for Zac, sheldon said "I think I'll eat my lunch at home." and when he hit Leonard with a train when it sounded like Leonard enjoyed being with her at the wedding, and he even had the nerve to show up at movie theater and propose they become boyfriend and girlfriend while she was on a date with someone else and try to beat up his idol for insulting her.  Sheldon definitely wants Amy, if he didn't he never would have asked her to be his girlfriend or gave her a bath while she was sick.  That is some real love right there. :)

Sorry thats not what I meant. I'm not talking about the scenes the characters play, I'm talking about the two actors themselves. Regardless of the stories writen for them, they just don't spark. There's little undertone of potential sensuality between these two actors onscreen. Not that I can see.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
Sorry thats not what I meant. I'm not talking about the scenes the characters play, I'm talking about the two actors themselves. Regardless of the stories writen for them, they just don't spark. There's little undertone of potential sensuality between these two actors onscreen. Not that I can see.

that's totally subjective I guess. I do feel it when I see them onscreen, while I don't see the supposedly "undeniable" chemistry between Kaley & Jim, but again, the notion of "chemistry" is entirely subjective.

• Like 3

It only ever feels like friendly respect to me. Jim could 'flirt for england' as the old saying goes and this is why I'm so puzzled by this. I guess it could be subjective and people see different things but it's something that has been on my mind for a while and I wondered what other people thought.

Oh yeah I think Jim and Mayim have great chemistry together, especially when i watch their interview each other here.

or when they were at Comic Con together and bantering back and forth and sharing their favorite scenes from the show which they both chose scenes with each other. Jim could have chosen any of his scenes with any of the actors, but he picked as his favorite one with Mayim from episode where Shamy pretended to spread rumor that they have sex.  And Mayim picked their first onscreen kiss together as her favorite scene back in season 4.   I have watch lots of tv couples and ship very many in past all way from I love Lucy era to Greys Anatomy, Supernatural whole spectrum, comedy, sci fi and dramas.  I personally think BBT cast is great ensemeble in general  and reminds me of many of great classics like Roseanne, I love Lucy, etc...especially when compared to Chuck Lorre's other show Two and Half Men the chemistry between the couples on this show is so much better.  

I know not everyone likes this couple as much as I do, but I think Shamy is best one out of the three in terms of chemistry and Howardette is pretty good too.  Lenny is just okay for me.  I think Penny and Leonard have chemistry, but its to cliche for me at times reminds me too much of Ross and Rachel or Darlene and David I feel like I've seen it before.  I still like them though, but Shamy feels new and different to me because rarely do two nerds end up together on sitcom its usually nerd ends up with the popular girl or popular guy thing on television, but Shamy feels more unique especially because Amy and Sheldon are both grown up adult over twenty something virgins, that is also rare on tv nowadays.  Most couples jump into bed on tv right away then regret it later, but I like that Shamy is taking things slow and doing all in between couple stuff together first reminds me of another great couple I use to love back in 90s Cory and topanga on Boy Meets World.  Cool thing is people still love them so much together that they are getting another brand new show and will play the parents of a young teenage girl on Disney Channel.  Haha I know it won't happen, but I would so watch a Shamy spinoff if they have one in future or if Jim and Mayim do another show together and play a couple again like Lucy and Desi did or Johnny and Sara did, that would be so cute and show that their real life friendship as actors can last over time. :)

The uterus quivering is another horrible line. And its hardly scienific. A uterus does not quiver over a guy. A woman may quiver but using the word uterus doesn't make it a science comment.

Actually it does. (I'm going to go all crass and literal here and say that) in a state of excitement or arousal, the uterus enlarges and shifts slightly upwards. Whether that can be called 'quivering' or not is anyone's call. You're also free to find it horrible or offensive. But nothing scientifically incorrect about it.

Regarding Sheldon being a lousy boyfriend - I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty happy if my boyfriend/husband showered on me the kind of consistent care which Sheldon showed himself capable of when Amy was sick.

Apart from that, I agree very much with Spook's comments, especially this.

I don't know how I feel about Amy becoming too normal, she would lose a lot of the appeal that she has, imo, the same way people don't want Sheldon to become too normal. The Shamy itself would lose a lot of what makes it special. If Amy starts acting too normal, then she becomes just any girl and there's no point in it, IMO, because Sheldon could then be dating anyone and I'm not particularly interested in this relationship because I want to see Sheldon dating. I'm interested in it because I find the concept of the two Homo Novus dating fascinating. Girlfriend frustrated with boyfriend breaking up with him/cheating on him? It's been done in countless TV shows. Homo Novus navigating their own version of a relationship? Never done before. The writers have also said that they stop and think "this is how we would do it, but how would they do it?" every time they approach the Shamy, so I hope they never write them like a normal couple, ever.

I really, really want the writers not to forget how unique this pair is, and has the potential of being.

And yes, I do see chemistry between the actors, especially in their shared glances (technically called 'eye coitus'), though this aspect obviously hasn't been fully explored on the show yet, since Sheldon is supposed to be outwardly oblivious to any kind of 'heat' thus far.

• Like 1

I do think it's totally about the storylines they write for them and more importantly how the writers want Sheldon to be played in those scenes. There have been scenes in the past, like with Ramona, Leonard's mother, the girl in the Green Lantern episode, where they wanted Jim to play Sheldon as if he were flirting with these people just to then have him do something completely contradictory like leaving the girl in his room and walking off. I think with Amy it's different because they're taking the opposite direction: they are starting with him being completely cool and non-flirty because the final aim is to get him to do those things he never did with those other people. With those people, Sheldon having "game" or chemistry was the irony of the situation. It's hard to feel sexual chemistry between two actors when one is asked to deliberately play aloof. There have been fleeting moments where they've had some pretty good sparks, especially with the way they look at each other: the first Thursday date night comes to mind, the way they look at each other when she explains the rules to Penny, and the Star Trek doctor roleplay, of course. But it's very very rare because they aren't written to have that kind of tension, yet. 

I think Jim and Mayim have great chemistry, it's just not sexual because of the material they're given. If you see them in interviews together, the Comic Con ones especially... They are off in their own world, they are really flirty, they strike me as two people I could sit and watch them read the phone book to each other. Also... the taping reports??? Maybe you don't read them, but if you do you know you can probably understand how good actors they are to tone down all that chemistry on screen because sometimes I find their off-screen escapades more interesting than the actual taping report. lol!

Also, if I may, I think your speculations about Amy being unhappy with Sheldon is similar to some people's speculations about Sheldon suppressing his hidden horndog rather than not having any sexual urges. Yes, Sheldon has been mostly a lousy boyfriend so far, like we all expected. But the writers have not written Amy to be unhappy with that at all. There's no evidence for that, just like there's no evidence Sheldon is a secret horndog. Like I said, Amy IS Sheldon in her own way. We shouldn't forget that. She isn't into the relationship just because she has the hots for him, that came later. She is in the relationship because they are so much alike and it's first and foremost a relationship of intellect and camaraderie. She might not be getting the physical aspect out of it, but she is getting everything else. I think it's just hard to remember that right now because she's been written to be a bit too normal, so we think she's normal. She's not.

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

Jim seems old fashioned to me and i like that about him, he is not like Neil Patrick Harris for example who jokes about sex a lot in interviews just like his Barney character does Jim is southern gentlemen and not a "flirt"  in traditional sense, but he shows it when he likes someone in more gentlemen like sweet ways, like how at Comic Con out of all actors on stage Jim was only one to pull out Mayim's chair so she could sit down first the other guys just let girls take their seats on their own without helping them do it. 

That to me is polite thoughtful, and definitely shows that he likes and respects Mayim and I think as show continues on their onscreen chemistry keeps getting stronger and funnier.  Its just not the cliche tv couple type of chemistry where the typical guy character is all like  I WANT GET IN YOUR PANTS constantly LET ME IN YOUR PANTS WOMAN!! lol  instead Amy is one saying that kind of stuff and Sheldon either actually doesn't understand it or he chooses to ignore it and pretends not to understand because he isn't ready yet and its fun watching him play it like he's totally clueless for laughs.  

I think Jim is a fantastic actor and knows how to play all subtle nuances of a scene and of Sheldon as a character that a lot of people would just overlook.  He gives Sheldon so much depth and makes people wonder does SHeldon get it or does he not. I think that is Jim's brillance ..oh and the great writing too.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 2

I don't think Sheldon or Amy will ever be totally normal though Mayim and Jim do a great job at showing them becoming more "human" like so to speak, but still very much nerdy, quirky, and unique."  I don't hear other girl characters saying the things that Amy says both the scientific and the sexual comments she makes are very funny and same for Sheldon. They can be in a romantic relationship with physical contact and do it the SHAMY way which will involve lots of science, Star Trek/ Star Wars couples costumes, nerd games and Tea. lol  

Edited by Superlovelexi

Oh yeah I think Jim and Mayim have great chemistry together, especially when i watch their interview each other here.

or when they were at Comic Con together and bantering back and forth and sharing their favorite scenes from the show which they both chose scenes with each other. Jim could have chosen any of his scenes with any of the actors, but he picked as his favorite one with Mayim from episode where Shamy pretended to spread rumor that they have sex.  And Mayim picked their first onscreen kiss together as her favorite scene back in season 4.   I have watch lots of tv couples and ship very many in past all way from I love Lucy era to Greys Anatomy, Supernatural whole spectrum, comedy, sci fi and dramas.  I personally think BBT cast is great ensemeble in general  and reminds me of many of great classics like Roseanne, I love Lucy, etc...especially when compared to Chuck Lorre's other show Two and Half Men the chemistry between the couples on this show is so much better.  

I know not everyone likes this couple as much as I do, but I think Shamy is best one out of the three in terms of chemistry and Howardette is pretty good too.  Lenny is just okay for me.  I think Penny and Leonard have chemistry, but its to cliche for me at times reminds me too much of Ross and Rachel or Darlene and David I feel like I've seen it before.  I still like them though, but Shamy feels new and different to me because rarely do two nerds end up together on sitcom its usually nerd ends up with the popular girl or popular guy thing on television, but Shamy feels more unique especially because Amy and Sheldon are both grown up adult over twenty something virgins, that is also rare on tv nowadays.  Most couples jump into bed on tv right away then regret it later, but I like that Shamy is taking things slow and doing all in between couple stuff together first reminds me of another great couple I use to love back in 90s Cory and topanga on Boy Meets World.  Cool thing is people still love them so much together that they are getting another brand new show and will play the parents of a young teenage girl on Disney Channel.  Haha I know it won't happen, but I would so watch a Shamy spinoff if they have one in future or if Jim and Mayim do another show together and play a couple again like Lucy and Desi did or Johnny and Sara did, that would be so cute and show that their real life friendship as actors can last over time. :)

See, I don't like Howardette at all, I cringe a little sometimes when they kiss. I can always see that Melissa is acting, she's not as strong as the others IMO. So there we have it, you are I are opposites again. This always happens. :icon_cheesygrin:

I like that interview with Jim and Mayim and there is a healthy respect there but it just doesn't translate into sensuality onscreen for some reason. It bothers me because I want to see it but for me it's not there. Maybe it will come as they move them more in that direction, with the acting.

Actually it does. (I'm going to go all crass and literal here and say that) in a state of excitement or arousal, the uterus enlarges and shifts slightly upwards. Whether that can be called 'quivering' or not is anyone's call. You're also free to find it horrible or offensive. But nothing scientifically incorrect about it.

I thought it was the cervix that moved.. anyway. I don't find that offensive, but some of Amy's lines are meant to make the other characters cringe and thats what the audience is supposed to laugh at. The reaction of the others. To me, it doesn't always work.

Well I see it there I saw it in scene when Sheldon went on a date with Amy and she explained to Penny that this was their date night.  Way Jim/Sheldon looked and Amy there for a moment was look of wanting and desire and it was fantastic cause he did it with just a LOOK, no words like most couples would do.

Same way right before the spanking scene, when Amy said I've been a very bad bad girl, to me the way Sheldon nodded his head yes you have and squinted his eyes at her was very undertone of slight sexual desire that like he understood for just that split second oh yeah she wants me to spank her she's a naughty girl I like that.  Its quick, but its there trust me I've watched Fish Guts more times than I can count just to see that look on his face lol. 

Oh and as for Howardette well yeah we can agree to disagree on them too thats Fine Moonbase.  I think Melissa is hilarious and I love way she can just come up with actual funny lines right on the spot like she did at Comic Con.  Simon couldn't think of anything funny he just did the voice, but Melissa was awesome she actually came up with funny Mrs. Wolowitz joke right on the spot, she could probably write some of material if she wanted too lol.  Bernadette and Howard to me are like that couple who like different things, but can still appreciate each other and she has made Howard so much better man.  To me the old pervy Howard was very funny too, but it would get old after awhile just like I'm already tied of Raj being alone and constantly whining about it, Howard's pervy behavior towards Penny was worst than anything Amy's ever said to Penny lol.  Bernadette got his attention and kept it there.  He is a great blueprint for potential of other three guys becoming more mature and respectful towards their women and less selfish.

I thought it was the cervix that moved.. anyway. I don't find that offensive, but some of Amy's lines are meant to make the other characters cringe and thats what the audience is supposed to laugh at. The reaction of the others. To me, it doesn't always work.

Honestly, it doesn't always work for me either. Like her comments to Penny didn't work for me, beyond a point. But such lines definitely feel more true to her character than her saying something like 'oh, I'm so attracted to Sheldon's eidetic memory'. This is the kind of terminology she's always used; Amy's the girl who we've seen, from very early on, talking blithely in public about menses and penis envy (and has a boyfriend who also talks blithely in public about menses and his aesthetically pleasing genitals). That's the reason they're weird, but not weird for each other.

My problem with Amy's character is that she was just too damn good in the second half of season 4 ,  she was so strong  , so powerful that I thought even Sheldon could'nt compete with her...in most of the occasions Sheldon was playing straight man to Amy

My favorite Sheldon/Amy interaction to this date from on of my favorite episodes Herb Garden

Sheldon: I must say, Amy, pretending to have intercourse with you is giving me a great deal of satisfaction.

Amy: Slow down, Sheldon. I’m not quite there yet.

It was wonderful to see their interactions back then as both then of them came across as equals and on few occasions Amy being the better one

But recently everything has changed , yeah I know its character development but the drastic change in her personality clearly shows...

Yes there are occasions recently where they both come across as equals but most of the time it is Amy showering biological praises at Sheldon , her being so desperate for some affection from Sheldon that she had to resort to lying makes her look authentic but just not strong  . I am just not able to see them as two equals any more... 

She is mostly being portrayed as the under-dog character that I am supposed to root for.... in Leonard's case it is understandable as from the beginning episodes it was established that he was the under-dog character who the audience are supposed to root for.. but in Amy's case it's just sad   <_<  <_<

Edited by vasu

I'm with Vasu, I loved her in 'Herb Garden Germination' and liked them as equals. The episode where she is attracted to Zack was brilliant. Last year I did enjoy the episode where Sheldon asks her to be his girlfriend, I thought Amy was very strong and also the one where she invites him over for dinner. Classic Amy. This year I find Mayim extremely funny and playing scenes wonderfully, but I don't care for what they've done to the Amy character, Moonbase I think aptly calls it the 'Lorreisation' of Amy.

She is mostly being portrayed as the under-dog character that I am supposed to root for.... in Leonard's case it is understandable as from the beginning episodes it was established that he was the under-dog character who the audience are supposed to root for.. but in Amy's case it's just sad   <_<  <_<

Why? because she is a woman?

It's an honest question, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's your situation, but I have a constant problem while wandering in this fandom: Penny, who is said to be a sexually active is labeled an slut (I know, the problem is not only with the fans, the show itself calls her that), and Amy, since the day she started to express her desire to be a sexually active, but for whatever reason is not getting action, is called "desperate and pathetic"

I mean, we can laugh at a man who doesn't get laid despite his efforts, but a woman would always be in a "sad" place if she is in the same situation? Women MUST be desirable and get a man's attention without hesitation from his part, or be the only one with an upper hand when it comes to sex, otherwise she is a pathetic loser?

Just to clarify: I love Strong!Amy, but I just don't think she isn't strong anymore. She simply is in the look for experiencing physical affection, she is in a difficult situation because it's not an usual plot for women in sitcoms (or any kind of tv work, actually).

I don't think she and Sheldon had stopped being equals, they just have different strenghts and different vulnerabilities. Amy is vulnerable when it comes to the physical aspect of the relationship and Sheldon is vulnerable when it comes to the emotional aspect. Sheldon has apparently the upper hand when it comes to the pace their physical relationship advances, but he has also been shown to be lost to the mere idea of her leaving him.

She went crazy for losing her just after a few months of knowing her, I don't want to think the levels of desperation he would reach if she ended their relationship at this point.

I bet he would do more than lying (he had lied before in order to get Leonard back as a friend) to be with her again, that's why I still see them as equals.

• Like 3

I'm with Vasu, I loved her in 'Herb Garden Germination' and liked them as equals. The episode where she is attracted to Zack was brilliant. Last year I did enjoy the episode where Sheldon asks her to be his girlfriend, I thought Amy was very strong and also the one where she invites him over for dinner. Classic Amy. This year I find Mayim extremely funny and playing scenes wonderfully, but I don't care for what they've done to the Amy character, Moonbase I think aptly calls it the 'Lorreisation' of Amy.

No, that was from one of my weird rants on Chuck Lorre. The quote was "Poor Amy is going through the "Lorreasation".

I would not wish that torture on any actress.

• Like 1

No, that was from one of my weird rants on Chuck Lorre. The quote was "Poor Amy is going through the "Lorreasation".

I would not wish that torture on any actress.

Props to you BangerMain; Lorreasation, is the perfect word;  and it's cruel to see what's happening to Amy.

Sarah7 what makes it upsetting, in my opinion, is that Amy is one of the first female starring characters on a sitcom who's intelligent and about the same similar attractiveness level as Leonard: I'd say plain. Actresses usually always have to be gorgeous, blonde etc. So this is a first and it's important how she is portrayed and a lot of women relate to her.

• Like 1

Why? because she is a woman?

It's an honest question, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's your situation, but I have a constant problem while wandering in this fandom: Penny, who is said to be a sexually active is labeled an slut (I know, the problem is not only with the fans, the show itself calls her that), and Amy, since the day she started to express her desire to be a sexually active, but for whatever reason is not getting action, is called "desperate and pathetic"

I mean, we can laugh at a man who doesn't get laid despite his efforts, but a woman would always be in a "sad" place if she is in the same situation? Women MUST be desirable and get a man's attention without hesitation from his part, or be the only one with an upper hand when it comes to sex, otherwise she is a pathetic loser?

Just to clarify: I love Strong!Amy, but I just don't think she isn't strong anymore. She simply is in the look for experiencing physical affection, she is in a difficult situation because it's not an usual plot for women in sitcoms (or any kind of tv work, actually).

I don't think she and Sheldon had stopped being equals, they just have different strenghts and different vulnerabilities. Amy is vulnerable when it comes to the physical aspect of the relationship and Sheldon is vulnerable when it comes to the emotional aspect. Sheldon has apparently the upper hand when it comes to the pace their physical relationship advances, but he has also been shown to be lost to the mere idea of her leaving him.

She went crazy for losing her just after a few months of knowing her, I don't want to think the levels of desperation he would reach if she ended their relationship at this point.

I bet he would do more than lying (he had lied before in order to get Leonard back as a friend) to be with her again, that's why I still see them as equals.

Are you some women right activist or what???

Don't get me wrong . It's a honest question??..... cause I never said a damn thing about how men and women should be treated.. I was just posting my opinions on merely two fictional characters on a TV show...geez ....

Pathetic loser...wow...my term for how her character was being portrayed was an under-dog - the character who the shows producers want the audience to root for to get love and affection from their respective partner.....exactly how she was portrayed in FGD episode

And I think I mentioned in my previous post what is the difference between the way her character is being portrayed now and back in previous seasons , and why I liked it before and why I like it a bit less now

Edited by vasu

Are you some women right activist or what???

Don't get me wrong . It's a honest question??..... cause I never said a damn thing about how men and women should be treated.. I was just posting my opinions on merely two fictional characters on a TV show...geez ....

Pathetic loser...wow...my term for how her character was being portrayed was an under-dog - the character who the shows producers want the audience to root for to get love and affection from their respective partner.....exactly how she was portrayed in FGD episode

And I think I mentioned in my previous post what is the difference between the way her character is being portrayed now and back in previous seasons , and why I liked it before and why I like it a bit less now

What if I were? ;)

Vasu, I honestly don't understand why you got all worked up. I was not going against you.

I clearly said in my post I was not accusing you of anything, I understand what you meant in your post and, while I don't share the sentiment, I respect the fact you are not liking very much Amy's characterization at this pont.

I was merely using something you said ("Amy's situation is just sad") to post some questions and my opinion on something based in my observation of the fandom. I know you didn't use the "pathetic loser" term, I didn't accuse you of that, but I've seen it in other places, that's why I brought it up.

Because I may not be an activist but I don't need to be one, I'm always paying attention to the way women are bein portrayed in media and the way audience seems to react to that, that's what I was talking about.

What if I were? ;)

Vasu, I honestly don't understand why you got all worked up. I was not going against you.

I clearly said in my post I was not accusing you of anything, I understand what you meant in your post and, while I don't share the sentiment, I respect the fact you are not liking very much Amy's characterization at this pont.

I was merely using something you said ("Amy's situation is just sad") to post some questions and my opinion on something based in my observation of the fandom. I know you didn't use the "pathetic loser" term, I didn't accuse you of that, but I've seen it in other places, that's why I brought it up.

Because I may not be an activist but I don't need to be one, I'm always paying attention to the way women are bein portrayed in media and the way audience seems to react to that, that's what I was talking about.

Well when someone asks me a question like "Why because she is women" in response to a post where I was just merely posting things about fictional characters ... directly or not I feel they were trying to accuse me as if I said posted something wrong....and I don't even understand why you even went there when all the posts here are about S/A relationship in a  TV show The Big Bang Theory 

I don't know what you were trying to do and I have no idea what your intentions were.....but next time please try to refrain from quoting my posts before you post questions about your observations of the fandom which I have nothing do with......because it looks like you are making me a part of whatever fandom you're talking about

Edited by vasu