The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJistheBOMB

The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

Whilst I do agree with you guys that Amy right now is being written very differently from Amy up until the end of S5, I'm still careful at talking about Lorreization. I do believe a lot of the things that are discussed here about her (being desperate, making sex jokes all the time, etc) are being exaggerated. If you actually go through the episodes you'll find that there aren't THAT many moments like that. I think people are being a tad overdramatic about this whole thing at times.

On the other hand, I do agree that she's being written a little bit too normal. It's not that she isn't strong, quite the contrary: she puts her foot down a lot in the relationship when Sheldon pisses her off. But to me it's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of what comes out of her mouth. She speaks too normal, she acts too normal. The one thing I've noticed the most is the way she talks: she doesn't talk with long convoluted sentences anymore, she speaks like a normal person. I don't like that. 

But, as I said, it might be that they aren't giving her much to work with right now because of all the time they devoted to her in the past 2 seasons and so are just giving her throw-away lines etc. I don't know that it's Lorreization as much as the fact that they obviously don't cherish her as a character as much as Sheldon and so aren't as careful with what they do to her, which is a shame, imo, because she quickly became very prominent on the show precisely because of her personality. I wish they were at least 20% as protective of her as they are of Sheldon.

• Like 1

I don't think she and Sheldon had stopped being equals, they just have different strenghts and different vulnerabilities. Amy is vulnerable when it comes to the physical aspect of the relationship and Sheldon is vulnerable when it comes to the emotional aspect. Sheldon has apparently the upper hand when it comes to the pace their physical relationship advances, but he has also been shown to be lost to the mere idea of her leaving him.

I not only agree with this, but also feel that this season in particular has been very clear about showing MORE effort and attachment and emotional investment on Sheldon's side than on Amy's. It actually has been mostly about his emotional growth in the context of their relationship, which is one probable reason for some people feeling that Amy's character has been neglected. But I think this was necessary to establish, at this point.

On Amy's side, we've only seen further confirmation that she feels a certain degree of desire and curiosity for a sexual relationship with Sheldon. It was made clear in the previous season that she's unequivocally attached to him. In this season, Sheldon was the one who underwent emotional turmoil fearing that she might leave him; went on an absurd mission to 'defend her honor', even when she was in the wrong; recanted on his earlier tendency to back out of social commitments with her; voluntarily chose to take care of her when she was ill 'because he cared for her well-being', overcoming his germaphobia, and did the job with remarkable care and consistency over several days; even compromised on a costume that was probably important to him. He has in fact been criticized on these boards for being 'whipped', because of the Wheaton and costume incidents, and for being 'out of character' because of the flu incident. All those instances happened because something made him realize that he NEEDED to make efforts and compromises in their relationship, and give back what was due to Amy as his girlfriend.

Sure, we're still not clear on whether or how much Sheldon feels any kind of physical attraction towards her.  But unless love and romantic attachment is defined only as sexual desire, there is no way we can say at present that Amy is more committed or more attached or even more needy in their relationship.. or, as someone said above, that she loves him much more than he loves her. To me, love isn't just about wanting sex (though that's certainly an important aspect); on pretty much every other criterion, Sheldon increasingly qualifies in the 'caring boyfriend' category, not the 'callous boyfriend' one.

And Amy, for the most part, has been far from needy and desperate herself; even in Fish Guts, she didn't have an inkling of purposely planning to take 'sexual advantages' from Sheldon. Whatever happened was entirely his idea, and she just played along. Her only weakness was in contriving to prolong the situation for a little beyond what was legitimate; but this, again, was probably milder than Sheldon's own desperate behavior in going nuts with 25 cats when they separated, or stalking her on facebook and spending day and night agonizing when she went out with Stuart, or even performing the whole complicated charade of blowing the building's fuse just to 'get Leonard back'. Also, Amy knows what her strengths are in the relationship, and we've often seen her have the upper hand. So how does that make her situation pathetic or sad?

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 2

I do agree very much with Spook that I'd like to see more of their moments of quirky connection, that brought them together in the first place and makes them special. Herb Garden is still my favorite episode for Sheldon/Amy chemistry, irrespective of everything that has happened after that.

For example, in Re-entry Minimization I was surprised that Amy couldn't understand Sheldon's bizarre Pictionary clues - aren't their minds supposed to work in the same way? What about Counterfactuals? That's the kind of thing which makes them a perfect geek couple, and I wish they would show more of that, to balance out the (also necessary) storylines related to Amy's sexual desire and Sheldon's emotional growth.

For example, in Re-entry Minimization I was surprised that Amy couldn't understand Sheldon's bizarre Pictionary clues - aren't their minds supposed to work in the same way? What about Counterfactuals? That's the kind of thing which makes them a perfect geek couple, and I wish they would show more of that, to balance out the (also necessary) storylines related to Amy's sexual desire and Sheldon's emotional growth.

Yes!! That's one of the reason I really do not care much for that episode. WTF! She suddenly thinks like a normal human being?? Again, it's one of the things that annoy me about the show the most: lack of continuity. This is just one example. 

I know they wanted to do the boys vs girls thing but I think it would have been a great opportunity to see some good ol' fashioned Shamy superiority/bonding if they had gone Shamy vs Lenny and have Amy and Sheldon win (or lose) all the games with their convoluted clues and reasoning. They just went for the easy Sheldon-is-weird-nobody-gets-him kind of laughs.

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

You've all made very good points that have actually changed my view of Amy a little. While I still do agree that Sheldon and Amy need to have more of their classic chemistry, I now feel like you guys are right about the equality of their relationship. I was a little worried before about Sheldon getting the upper hand, but I realize now that I was getting lost in the physical side of the whole thing since they really seem to be pushing that a lot this season. 

Also referring back to what Moonbase said a while back about actor chemistry, didn't Jim slap Mayim on the behind one time during the taping of 5.23? I don't know if I got that right but I heard it from a few people that they couldn't stop laughing about it afterwards. It seems like they do have a fairly good relationship from what I've seen and heard so far :p.

You've all made very good points that have actually changed my view of Amy a little. While I still do agree that Sheldon and Amy need to have more of their classic chemistry, I now feel like you guys are right about the equality of their relationship. I was a little worried before about Sheldon getting the upper hand, but I realize now that I was getting lost in the physical side of the whole thing since they really seem to be pushing that a lot this season.

Also referring back to what Moonbase said a while back about actor chemistry, didn't Jim slap Mayim on the behind one time during the taping of 5.23? I don't know if I got that right but I heard it from a few people that they couldn't stop laughing about it afterwards. It seems like they do have a fairly good relationship from what I've seen and heard so far :p.

Yes they have a good friendship, I'm not denying that. I don't read taping report so I'm only going off the finished product. The onscreen sexual chemistry is a bit insipid just generally. There's so little coming from Jim. Normally he works a little sensuality into Sheldon's character but lately its not been there.

Been thinking about it and I think I know what it is!!! Sheldon is more bold these days, he used to be coy. He needs to bring that back to use in his relationship with Amy. Lexi mentioned the dinner date when they looked at each other, as a moment of chemistry but to me it looked forced, ironically that was the moment I thought "something's not working here". Jim used to drop his lashes and be more shy! He used his eyes more in his acting and he's not doing that anymore. It's a small thing but it makes a big difference.

Edited by Moonbase

If this:

tumblr_m8lmzyVRKy1qcqxh7o9_250.gif

is the sign of something not working, please throw all the spanners you can find in it. 

• Like 2

Jim's big blue eyes could knock the socks off anyone. They are his best feature and they really work on me, but he's not using them like he used too. He used to express himself through his eyes at lot more than he does now. They were wider, bigger and he would occasionally avoid eye contact all together and gaze down. It was so coy and sexy. That gif is a watered down version of what he used to do! But I can see we are not going to agree, so I guess I'm talking to myself... again.

See, I don't like Howardette at all, I cringe a little sometimes when they kiss. I can always see that Melissa is acting, she's not as strong as the others IMO. So there we have it, you are I are opposites again. This always happens. :icon_cheesygrin:

I like that interview with Jim and Mayim and there is a healthy respect there but it just doesn't translate into sensuality onscreen for some reason. It bothers me because I want to see it but for me it's not there. Maybe it will come as they move them more in that direction, with the acting.

I completely agree about Melissa. She doesn´t convince me. Her acting doesn´t look natural even her character is more "normal" than some others in the show.

Regarding Jim and Mayim...why they should show more than a healthy respect to each other? They are very good actors and they make very well their characters/actings but, when they are not acting they are only friends/colleagues. And more over, they both are peculiar serious personality type or you can say oldfashioned personality type actor/actress in real life. So it is not surprising they show only a big respect to each other and nothing more.

Something else, could someone tell me please the meaning of "IMO" You guys are using it a lot but still I didn´t guess the meaning :(

Something else, could someone tell me please the meaning of "IMO" You guys are using it a lot but still I didn´t guess the meaning :(

IMO - In My Opinion :)

I completely agree about Melissa. She doesn´t convince me. Her acting doesn´t look natural even her character is more "normal" than some others in the show.

Regarding Jim and Mayim...why they should show more than a healthy respect to each other? They are very good actors and they make very well their characters/actings but, when they are not acting they are only friends/colleagues. And more over, they both are peculiar serious personality type or you can say oldfashioned personality type actor/actress in real life. So it is not surprising they show only a big respect to each other and nothing more.

Sorry, you misunderstand what I mean about Jim and Mayim. I was talking about the lack of onscreen chemistry between them, when they play Sheldon and Amy. Not their personal lives.

• Like 1

Spook, your post with the gif made me laugh so hard! True story.

I still disagree with some of Moonbase's points, but I just got weakened by her reference to Jim's big blue eyes that can knock the socks off anyone. How can I argue with someone who uses that description, my socks are already gone. :icon_redface:

But seriously, Moonbase, your comments are making me curious. I honestly feel that Jim/Sheldon is at his most sensual (on the show) in many of his moments with Amy. Can you give some examples of instances when you felt Sheldon was more sensual and/or flirtatious, earlier, than he's ever been with Amy? 

Also referring back to what Moonbase said a while back about actor chemistry, didn't Jim slap Mayim on the behind one time during the taping of 5.23? I don't know if I got that right but I heard it from a few people that they couldn't stop laughing about it afterwards. It seems like they do have a fairly good relationship from what I've seen and heard so far

Yes. The taping report about the spanking scene behind-the-scenes stuff is also pretty expressive, in this regard. :)

On another note, when Sheldon was paired briefly with Ramona and they flirted I saw a little heat. Then the scene with Leonard's mother (when they were supposed to be talking about karaoke) was smoking. Even the panti pinata, the glares between Sheldon and Penny were the only real shenny moment I ever had. But so far, with Sheldon and Amy I don't see any heat between these two actors. I guess it will come down to the acting when the day comes. Maybe they are hiding their light under a bushel because I can't see any sparks. What does everyone else think?

I already did ^

I was speaking to a friend today who I didn't even know watched the show. She said the same thing: no chemistry between Sheldon and Amy. But she's yet to see S6 so maybe that will change. And where are you getting this 'her' thing from suddenly? not that it bothers me, whatever.

Sorry, I missed that. Now I'll have to go back and rewatch the episodes with Ramona and Beverly, haven't seen them in a while.

With Beverly, as far as I remember, that scene where they talked of the 'activity they plan to do together' was purposely played in a teasing-sexual-undertones kind of way, just to make the anticlimax of what actually happened funnier. That no real chemistry was intended between them seemed quite obvious from the completely awkward, unromantic kiss.

About Sheldon and Penny, I have to say I did not see any 'sensual heat' between them AT ALL, even in Panty Pinata. It was pure mutual annoyance and indignation, like siblings fighting.

And where are you getting this 'her' thing from suddenly? not that it bothers me, whatever.

Oh. Sorry for the spontaneous assumption. /facepalm :icon_redface:

Edited by Pomita

Yeah, I do agree that the point of the scenes he had with other people is precisely that he's meant to play them in a flirtatious way, I think they are often deliberately instructing him to be aloof around Amy. It's also a different kind of relationship development, one that so far has been based purely on intellect, whereas relationships that are flirty are often sexually charged to start with or antagonistic in nature (hence why so many people seem to see "chemistry" between Sheldon and Penny). S/A is a non-sexual intellectual relationship where the two get along great all the time, it's hard for actors to get sparks flying in these circumstances I think. And to be honest, I don't see any "chemistry" in any of the couples on the show, at the moment.

True. It's also because, at this point, Sheldon being openly flirtatious with Amy would have very different connotations and possibilities. With Beverly or Ramona they could play with that for fun, because literally nothing substantial was intended; this time it's serious, and the stakes are higher, both for Sheldon and for Amy. So the writers, as well as presumably Sheldon himself, have to be more careful with every step they take.

It's like Sheldon could easily sleep in Penny's (or Howard's) bed as and when required, but he held back from sleeping in Amy's bed. For all his confusing naivete, there's a part of him which knows that the implications would be different here.

• Like 1

It's like Sheldon could easily sleep in Penny's (or Howard's) bed as and when required, but he held back from sleeping in Amy's bed. For all his confusing naivete, there's a part of him which knows that the implications would be different here.

I don't think that there's a part of  him which knows that the implications would be different if he sleeps in Amy's bed , but I think the reason he did not sleep in Amy's bed was that at that time his life was in choas and he did not care whether he was sleeping in a couch or bed

I don't know about Ramona but I agree that with Beverly his chemistry was electric and part of it was because Christine Baranski is awesome at playing any role :)   I would love to see her back 

I don't think that there's a part of  him which knows that the implications would be different if he sleeps in Amy's bed , but I think the reason he did not sleep in Amy's bed was that at that time his life was in choas and he did not care whether he was sleeping in a couch or bed

In that case, he would have slept in the bed with her when she asked him to. I think he DOES know the implications. LOL.

Monique

• Like 2

In that case, he would have slept in the bed with her when she asked him to. I think he DOES know the implications. LOL.

Monique

Yep, the writers knew exactly how the audience would interpret that move so they made Sheldon avoid it.

In my opinion, if there is any relationship drama coming up it would be Sheldon and Amy. With that said..i don't see that happening. Maybe a misunderstanding.

Monique

At that time he did not care that Penny was sitting his spot , he did not care about the Roommate Agreement , so I don't think he would have given a shit about the so called implications --- if he were thinking about the implications it would not suit his character at that point of time because he was not thinking about any of his actions :p

And I get it why the writers made that move but my explanation that he did not care about bed or couch seems more logical that the implication logic  ;)

At that time he did not care that Penny was sitting his spot , he did not care about the Roommate Agreement , so I don't think he would have given a shit about the so called implications --- if he were thinking about the implications it would not suit his character at that point of time because he was not thinking about any of his actions :p

And I get it why the writers made that move but my explanation that he did not care about bed or couch seems more logical that the implication logic  ;)

So just because he was a care-free, hippy-dippy kind of guy at that moment meant that he didn't have any boundaries (like choosing NOT to sleep in her bed for his own reasons?)?? Why didn't he go buy a gun too? Looks like he gave a BIG shit to me....otherwise he would have been in Amy's comfy bed instead of the couch ;-).

Monique

So just because he was a care-free, hippy-dippy kind of guy at that moment meant that he didn't have any boundaries (like choosing NOT to sleep in her bed for his own reasons?)?? Why didn't he go buy a gun too? Looks like he gave a BIG shit to me....otherwise he would have been in Amy's comfy bed instead of the couch ;-).

Monique

Well , I don't think for a guy like Sheldon allowing some one to sit in his spot is any different from buying a gun

And that whole story was about Sheldon not caring about any others or his actions,his entire world was in choas... so it does not make any sense that he would care about whether he is sleeping in Amy's bed or couch

See I can also ask questions like why he did not have sex with Amy then ;)

But that's not what happened in the show...what happened  was Sheldon slept on the Amy's couch...and in my opinion the logical answer to why he did it was because he did not care about bed or couch as it would suit his character at that point of time :)

so it does not make any sense that he would care about whether he is sleeping in Amy's bed or couch

It may have not made sense to you but again, he has his boundaries...lines he chooses NOT to cross no matter what kind of chaotic, hippy world he's living in. Amy asked him MORE than once (as she implied when he was leaving the next morning) to sleep in bed that night and he didn't. Was it because his entire world was in chaos? I doubt it. It was simply a choice he made for his own reasons. If he was so care-free about that particular subject matter he would have said, "What the hell? My world is upside down as it is..." and he would have slept in her bed. 

Monique