The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJistheBOMB

The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

I don't think that there's a part of  him which knows that the implications would be different if he sleeps in Amy's bed , but I think the reason he did not sleep in Amy's bed was that at that time his life was in choas and he did not care whether he was sleeping in a couch or bed

If he didn't care, why wouldn't he sleep on her bed, which was more comfortable, after she asked him so many times? Just the fact that he didn't shows that he gave it some thought and avoided it for a reason. I think we were given a clear hint that, no matter whether Sheldon feels that his life is in chaos at some point of time, it's not going to be that easy to get him to have sex.

• Like 1

I don't think that there's a part of  him which knows that the implications would be different if he sleeps in Amy's bed , but I think the reason he did not sleep in Amy's bed was that at that time his life was in choas and he did not care whether he was sleeping in a couch or bed

I don't know about Ramona but I agree that with Beverly his chemistry was electric and part of it was because Christine Baranski is awesome at playing any role :)   I would love to see her back 

That's a really good point. It would have been an opportunity for the writers to get them to have sex but he stayed on that sofa. Even though he's complained about Penny's sofa being too short for him. He made her swap so he could take the bed! Cheeky git! I remember thinking at the time that he wasn't really being that wild though. His idea of getting crazy was to change his PJ routine.

Yep, the writers knew exactly how the audience would interpret that move so they made Sheldon avoid it.

^ This. People, we always seem to forget he is a fictional character. We have to discuss this from the writers' perspective, not Sheldon's. It's not important what might or might not have been the reason why he refused, because his mind doesn't exist. The point is, the writers did not want him to sleep in her bed because the audience would have interpreted it in a certain way.

Regardless of his life being in chaos, comfort is comfort and Sheldon has always been shown putting his own comfort ahead of everyone else's. With Penny, he kicked her out of her bed so he could sleep in it because he's too tall for a couch. With Amy, he didn't. The writers had him take the couch because sharing a bed with her would have had very specific implications for their relationship. Same reason why he does not flirt with Amy the way he did in the past with other characters. Because the point is: Sheldon always does the opposite of what a normal person would do so that it is funny for the audience. He obliviously flirts with people he has no romantic interest in whatsoever (Ramona, the Green Lantern Girl, Leonard's mom, the guy in the cafeteria). He has a romantic relationship with a woman, he doesn't flirt with her and doesn't sleep in her bed. If he were flirting with Amy and sleeping in her bed right from the start to then enter a romantic relationship with her, it wouldn't be the way they normally write Sheldon. He would be any guy. It wouldn't be funny.

• Like 2

^ This. People, we always seem to forget he is a fictional character. We have to discuss this from the writers' perspective, not Sheldon's. It's not important what might or might not have been the reason why he refused, because his mind doesn't exist. The point is, the writers did not want him to sleep in her bed because the audience would have interpreted it in a certain way.

Regardless of his life being in chaos, comfort is comfort and Sheldon has always been shown putting his own comfort ahead of everyone else's. With Penny, he kicked her out of her bed so he could sleep in it because he's too tall for a couch. With Amy, he didn't. The writers had him take the couch because sharing a bed with her would have had very specific implications for their relationship. Same reason why he does not flirt with Amy the way he did in the past with other characters. Because the point is: Sheldon always does the opposite of what a normal person would do so that it is funny for the audience. He obliviously flirts with people he has no romantic interest in whatsoever (Ramona, the Green Lantern Girl, Leonard's mom, the guy in the cafeteria). He has a romantic relationship with a woman, he doesn't flirt with her and doesn't sleep in her bed. If he were flirting with Amy and sleeping in her bed right from the start to then enter a romantic relationship with her, it wouldn't be the way they normally write Sheldon. He would be any guy. It wouldn't be funny.

I don't agree. If Amy had said she would stay on her side, Sheldon might have slept in the bed, in a purely platonic way. We still would have the same slightly disappointed Amy the morning after. The implication was, that he knew what sleeping in Amy's bed would entail.

I raised the issue about chemistry not because I think Sheldon flirted with anyone, ever. It was a question of chemistry, pure and simple. I agree with Sursonica, it's totally subjective. I was just to see what other people felt about the general chemistry between Amy and Sheldon. You can have chemistry between characters no matter what the dialogue or scenes they act. It's not about the story, it's just something that's either there, or it isn't. I think they work well together but the chemistry is a little luke warm. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I know why the writers went this way...but we have do discuss about what we have seen on screen and why it happened...and what happened on screen was Sheldon slept on Amy's couch

And at that point of time Sheldon was not even caring about himself , so there is no reason he would care about any implications about sleeping in Amy's bed...

The only logical interpretation of that situations is that he would have probably thought  "oh what the heck , my life is in choas , so why should it matter where I sleep and whether I am comfortable or not" ... 

Ok,  Amy asked him multiple times to Sleep in her bed , but he did'nt..... some people are saying because he though about the implications of sleeping there

then even Penny and Leonard asked him multiple times to stop the whole bongos thing..but he did not..so was he , here also thinking about some implications??..... NO

So , IMO he was not caring about anyone or anything , he just did whatever he wanted without thinking about the consequences.

Edited by vasu

Maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly.

I don't agree. If Amy had said she would stay on her side, Sheldon might have slept in the bed, in a purely platonic way. We still would have the same slightly disappointed Amy the morning after. The implication was, that he knew what sleeping in Amy's bed would entail.

I raised the issue about chemistry not because I think Sheldon flirted with anyone, ever. It was a question of chemistry, pure and simple. I agree with Sursonica, it's totally subjective. I was just to see what other people felt about the general chemistry between Amy and Sheldon. You can have chemistry between characters no matter what the dialogue or scenes they act. It's not about the story, it's just something that's either there, or it isn't. I think they work well together but the chemistry is a little luke warm. Just my opinion.

I am just using Occam's razor. If the implication is meant to be "Sheldon refuses sex with Amy", they could have conveyed that in a much more straightforward way by indeed having him share the bed and turn her down and then have disappointed!Amy in the morning. But there was nothing indicating Amy did not offer to share the bed platonically, especially in the way she delivered that line. It actually never even crossed my mind until now. I always thought the disappointed!Amy was funny precisely for the reason that it was just about sharing a bed with his own girlfriend and even then he refused. Which is consistent with the fact that yes, Sheldon was embracing the chaos but was still Sheldon at the end of the day (changing the PJ rotation was chaos in his mind).

Even IF Amy was really trying to get laid, it's not like he couldn't have said no. He did that in The Isolation Permutation. Saying the writers had him refuse to sleep in her bed because they wanted to convey the message that he knew he meant having sex, is like saying he did not think there was a way to sleep in her bed and NOT have sex with her or turn down her advances. I mean, it takes two to tango. So either they are implying he thought she was going to rape him or they are implying that he knew he wouldn't be able to control himself if he slept in her bed with her. 

It's just too much of a stretch, in my opinion, especially since her offer and the negotiations is something we did not see. It's like people saying he was suppressing his urges during the bath scene in TFGD, again a scene we did not see, and extrapolating from that what the spanking meant or did not mean given that scene that we did not see. I don't think the writers were thinking that far. 

Which leads me to my reply to Vasu, regarding the simplest explanation for that scene:

I know why the writers went this way...but we have do discuss about what we seen on screen...and what happened on screen was Sheldon slept on Amy's couch

And at that point of time Sheldon was not even caring about himself , so there is no reason he would care about any implications about sleeping in Amy's bed ????

The only logical interpretation of that situations is that he would have probably thought  "oh what the heck , my life is in choas , so why should it matter where I sleep and whether I am comfortable or not" ... 

Ok,  Amy asked him multiple times to Sleep in her bed , but he did'nt..... some people are saying because he though about the implications of sleeping there

then even Penny and Leonard asked him multiple times to stop the whole bongos thing..but he did not..so was he , here also thinking about some implications??..... NO

So , IMO he was not caring about anyone or anything , he just did whatever he wanted without thinking about the consequences.

The simplest explanation is that they didn't want them to sleep in the same bed, even platonically, at this stage, because of how the audience would interpret that. And by interpret, I don't mean that people would think they had sex, but Sheldon being Sheldon, sharing a bed, platonically or not, would be a big deal. 

So, I'm not disagreeing with you Vasu at all. I am not saying SHELDON cared about the implications, I think yours is a perfectly reasonable interpretation. I'm saying the WRITERS did care because they didn't want to go there yet. I do think sharing a bed platonically is going to be one of the steps they will take eventually with these two to push them towards intimacy. Have them do it 5 episodes after they became official is using up material very fast, imo. 

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

The simplest explanation is that they didn't want them to sleep in the same bed, even platonically, at this stage, because of how the audience would interpret that. And by interpret, I don't mean that people would think they had sex, but Sheldon being Sheldon, sharing a bed, platonically or not, would be a big deal. 

So, I'm not disagreeing with you Vasu at all. I am not saying SHELDON cared about the implications, I think yours is a perfectly reasonable interpretation. I'm saying the WRITERS did care because they didn't want to go there yet. I do think sharing a bed platonically is going to be one of the steps they will take eventually with these two to push them towards intimacy. Have them do it 5 episodes after they became official is using up material very fast, imo. 

I too get why the writers went that way...

but I could also assume that the writers went that way because they might have thought  Sheldon sleeping on couches would prove that Sheldon has gone really really really crazy and nothing about S/A relationship at all..... just like some throw away comments we talk about ( like Amy wanting to cheat on her boyfriend in the santa episode) ;)

so this whole thing about what the writers were thinking does not any kind of authenticity to it....we cannot be sure about what the writers were thinking...

My whole argument was against the case that Sheldon slept on Amy's couch because he thought about implications of sleeping in her bed because it does not go with the things that happened on screen in that episode :)

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Your simple explanation of this event shows why the writers did not dare have Sheldon in Amy's bed at that point in their relationship. Just think of the discussions that would have occurred if they even implied that he slept with her in a platonic way. They knew they were not ready for the fans to infer that Sheldon was slowly being prepared for a possible physical relationship with Amy, If he had done so they would have pushed Sheldon's development far past the point that the producers want for him right now. Then the Sheldonites would howl about how they have ruined their hero.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

I am just using Occam's razor. If the implication is meant to be "Sheldon refuses sex with Amy", they could have conveyed that in a much more straightforward way by indeed having him share the bed and turn her down and then have disappointed!Amy in the morning. But there was nothing indicating Amy did not offer to share the bed platonically, especially in the way she delivered that line. It actually never even crossed my mind until now. I always thought the disappointed!Amy was funny precisely for the reason that it was just about sharing a bed with his own girlfriend and even then he refused. Which is consistent with the fact that yes, Sheldon was embracing the chaos but was still Sheldon at the end of the day (changing the PJ rotation was chaos in his mind).

She was disappointed because she "stupidly thought it was a musical booty call" of course she wanted more. I actually felt a bit sorry for her the next morning, she was very subdued and sad.

I think vasu's answer fits. Sheldon was thinking of himself, he wanted to sleep on his own so he slept on his own.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Oh of course, she always wants more! But I think by the time she offered the bed she must have been pretty sure it wasn't a musical booty call anymore :p

Let's all agree with Vasu then :) 

Ooops! Give me a moment :icon_eek:  I have to repress my sadness because of this comment :(

Ok...IMO, when Sheldon flirts, he is doing this without knowing he is flirting, in an innocent way, I mean, it is US who think in another way. The writer play with us.

But in Amy´s case, it is clear he didn´t want to sleep in her bed, maybe because he didn´t trust in her, what she will do when he sleep? ;)

Edited by Lissie
  • Like 1

Oh of course, she always wants more! But I think by the time she offered the bed she must have been pretty sure it wasn't a musical booty call anymore :p

Let's all agree with Vasu then :)

Let's give up on this. We aren't going to get anybody to agree on the logic of the "writer's plan" argument. :icon_wink:

Edited by BangerMain

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

My explanation on this: Amy bites! and Sheldon knows about this since Penny told him and I'm sure he knows about her night terros. I don't think he's ready to deal with that.

See? SOLVED!

• Like 1

Well, I expected at least one of you shamy's to say… because deep down, Sheldon isn't sure he can trust himself. :icon_lol:

Well, I expected at least one of you shamy's to say… because deep down, Sheldon isn't sure he can trust himself. :icon_lol:

FASCINATING ;)

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

humm I don't think he would give in, not at this stage.

Unless Amy would wear the Star Trek uniform as a nightie. Now THEN, I would have my doubts about Sheldon's self-control :icon_lol:

I remember that when Amy wanted to try "inoffensives lesbian activities" with Penny, she literally jumped on her (as per Penny´s yell) even she told her not to worry because she will avoid "the lower zone" so....I think it is good Sheldon didn´t trust on her :) Who knows which zone she will avoid spending a full night with a sleeping Sheldon on her bed ;)

Edited by Lissie

^ This. People, we always seem to forget he is a fictional character. We have to discuss this from the writers' perspective, not Sheldon's. It's not important what might or might not have been the reason why he refused, because his mind doesn't exist.
"We"??? I don't think there's a single person on this forum who isn't aware that these are not real people. LOL. Isn't the whole point of a fictional story for us to escape to the characters world and SEE it through their eyes? I've read mutliple posts from you of your very own interpretations of different things on the show too. Does that mean you have forgotten that the characters are fictional? No, it means you're doing what the writers want us to do: to enjoy and use our imaginations of what different things mean to us.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB

"We"??? I don't think there's a single person on this forum who isn't aware that these are not real people. LOL. Isn't the whole point of a fictional story for us to escape to the characters world and SEE it through their eyes? I've read mutliple posts from you of your very own interpretations of different things on the show too. Does that mean you have forgotten that the characters are fictional? No, it means you're doing what the writers want us to do: to enjoy and use our imaginations of what different things mean to us.

Monique

No, I didn't mean it in that way! lol. What I meant is that we (and I throw myself in the "we" of course) sometimes get lost dissecting why the characters do or do not do something and go around in circles for ages as if they had minds of their own when the bottom line might be something very simple about how slow or fast the writers want to take a story, something that has no deeper implications. I always think writers have their own reasons to make characters do what they do, that's what I mean. Sometimes it is to send a message and imply something about the character's intentions or feelings, other times it might be just convenience or just for laughs. In this case, I don't think the writers were putting much thought into what was going through Sheldon's mind about different kinds of implications when he chose the couch.

I'm in no way saying that we shouldn't get lost in the story and see it through the character's eyes! 

Yes, there probably weren't any deep implications for that but again, that is up for the audience to decide. THIS audience member thinks there's a reason Amy says, "...there's only so many times I can say, 'how about the bed?'" after Sheldon decided he wanted to sleep on the couch. He had his reasons.

Monique

Regarding why Sheldon didn't sleep in Amy's bed, I think we're gradually reaching a point of 'this conversation has started to circle. Meeting adjourned'. :p

I must say I like Sursonica's idea. :icon_mrgreen:

Regarding why Sheldon didn't sleep in Amy's bed, I think we're gradually reaching a point of 'this conversation has started to circle. Meeting adjourned'. :p

I must say I like Sursonica's idea. :icon_mrgreen:

I must say I like that idea too. LOL.

Monique

Way to ruin the Shamy thread guys....

In the end :

Sheldon & Amy will have coitus, get married...

In getting there they will : Kiss, explore sex (in their odd way), emote...etc

Shall be fun watching.

Also, the less time spent trying to walk the couple back to S4 and Counterfactuals and accept that they are in a more advanced place...the better....

My explanation on this: Amy bites! and Sheldon knows about this since Penny told him and I'm sure he knows about her night terros. I don't think he's ready to deal with that.

See? SOLVED!

Forgot all about that! He didn't want to wake up with teeth marks. :icon_lol:

Way to ruin the Shamy thread guys....   In the end :   Sheldon & Amy will have coitus, get married...   In getting there they will : Kiss, explore sex (in their odd way), emote...etc   Shall be fun watching.   Also, the less time spent trying to walk the couple back to S4 and Counterfactuals and accept that they are in a more advanced place...the better....
Ruin! Hardly... this thread was positively katatonic, it needed a bit of life.