The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I don't think Sheldon was being mean to Amy.  What I found most interesting is he couldn't look at her and kept busy at the computer to avoid looking at her.  I interpret that, that he was very much affected by how she looked (and has been struggling with his growing feelings for her in general) and so he does what Sheldon always does best...shut down and instead focused on work.   He did sing-song his response to her teasingly and didn't come right out and say "no", but I do believe he was struggling with his feelings and found it easiest to focus on something else instead.  He isn't ready.   As I said a few days ago...he has to cross that threshold where his desire because as great as if not greater than his fear.  He just isn't there yet. But I have to believe that they are planning something really wonderful before the end of this season to prove he has been fighting his own urges for a while.   :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with Spook...you don't want their kiss to be rushed in a tag scene (that is supposed to always be leaving us on a laugh).  Instead you want it to be the central part of the story. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 2

Oh, and I totally agree that I wouldn't want Sheldon to suddenly perk up at the sight of Amy all dolled up or - heaven forbid - react anything like the other two guys. And I certainly wouldn't want to see their first real kiss in a tag. Just for the record. ;)

I take back what I said. Can I do that? :D

Ok, I'm done. Off to bed.

Edited by Retroluv

The thing is you shouldn't read what "normal" viewers think of that scene because "normal" viewers would not get it, they would expect them to act and react like "normal" people but they don't. They never have. Like the writers have said, they do the opposite of "normal". So to someone he was being mean for being seemingly unaffected by the makeover but they don't stop to think of what the meaning behind him kissing her after a makeover is: not only it would be against everything Shamy is meant to be about, it would be against everything Sheldon has always been. He's never been affected by looks and he has phobias that have nothing to do with how his girlfriend looks. But all that takes an extra step than most viewers usually take when interpreting a scene. 

eta: I also don't think him sitting at his desk has anything to do with him holding back because otherwise it's pretty much the same thing as above: she changes the way she looks and suddenly he has to hold back. I think he was obviously working on something (he looks down at something on his desk while typing away) and was concentrating. That's Sheldon NOT choosing Amy over scientific accomplishments (just to bring up a very popular topic of conversation around here lately). He's still Sheldon and puts work first. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 3

Peek-a-boo! 

I'm just another lurker that was finally persuaded to actually post a reply, rather than watch all the Shamy gushing unfold on screen and giggle to myself on how lovely some of your imaginations are.  :icon_mrgreen: (All you guys seem awesome BTW, like a close-knit community of quirky people I'd totally get along with). 

Aside from that, I loooved tonights episode! Which was a nice surprise considering how hit and miss the past few have been for me. Howards horse imitations were golden! I definitely didn't expect that scene to be quite so hilarious when I skimmed over it in the taping report. 

Another moment that I loved was when Lucy was moving in to kiss Raj, and then abruptly bailed with "panic attack! maybe next time!" 

Mayim is an absolute stunner, and I'm so excited that they let that shine through - I completely agree that she was the most gorgeous of the princesses, and definitely the most dramatic makeover (Bernie was adorable too). 

And even though nothing would've made me happier than seeing Sheldon kiss Amy during the tag, I'm glad he didn't. I completely agree with the discussion several pages back about how kissing her would send the message that completely changing how she looks = affection. Though if he doesn't touch her soon, I'll probably burst!  :icon_biggrin:  I'm expecting sweeps and/or the season finale to be amaaazing. 

(Also loved how mature Sheldon seemed in this episode, from understanding the sexual references, coming up with those good ideas for the science talk, and especially for genuinely complimenting Bernadette and Amy). 

• Like 2

eta: I also don't think him sitting at his desk has anything to do with him holding back because otherwise it's pretty much the same thing as above: she changes the way she looks and suddenly he has to hold back. I think he was obviously working on something (he looks down at something on his desk while typing away) and was concentrating. That's Sheldon NOT choosing Amy over scientific accomplishments (just to bring up a very popular topic of conversation around here lately). He's still Sheldon and puts work first. 

Well, I am not so sure it is.   See I think Sheldon has been struggling a lot recently with his feelings for Amy.  They are increasing daily and he is having a harder time with them.  Bottom line, she did look beautiful.  It wasn't changing her looks per se, but she was role playing.  He loves role play, even if it isn't his favorite type of role play so I see it being totally consistent with his character and not necessarily like the others as far as reaction.   He loves Amy for her mind first, then for her mystery, then for her looks.  But we all know (based on the most recent taping report) that he has noticed her looks and does find her aesthetically appealing.  So that tells me that when she is looking so stunningly beautiful and radiant, he can't help but notice.  He isn't a robot...as much as they try to make him seem that.  I think they did a good job contrasting him with the other men, but that doesn't mean he didn't share a same desire for his woman.  He just handles the desire opposite of them.

• Like 2

Well, I am not so sure it is.   See I think Sheldon has been struggling a lot recently with his feelings for Amy.  They are increasing daily and he is having a harder time with them.  Bottom line, she did look beautiful.  It wasn't changing her looks per se, but she was role playing.  He loves role play, even if it isn't his favorite type of role play so I see it being totally consistent with his character and not necessarily like the others as far as reaction.   He loves Amy for her mind first, then for her mystery, then for her looks.  But we all know (based on the most recent taping report) that he has noticed her looks and does find her aesthetically appealing.  So that tells me that when she is looking so stunningly beautiful and radiant, he can't help but notice.  He isn't a robot...as much as they try to make him seem that.  I think they did a good job contrasting him with the other men, but that doesn't mean he didn't share a same desire for his woman.  He just handles the desire opposite of them.

Oh I see what you mean. That he's been having more feelings for a while, not that he suddenly has them in this scene. I get it. My bad. 

Also, is it just me or the whole setup of him singing back to her while working really screamed old married couple? LOL. Like "yes dear, give me a minute". :p

Edited by koops
  • Like 4

I can see where people are coming from who think he was harsh not to kiss her, but I disagree.  I thought it was cute that they were hanging out so casually, not doing anything in particular, like a couple who spends so much time together that they don't have to focus on each other every minute.  He didn't grouch at her for repeating herself; instead he sang it back to her, which I think is Sheldon's version of flirting.  If not looking at her is anything other than just being busy, it's wanting to avoid the conversation because he's actively trying to work up to kissing her. 

• Like 4

Also, is it just me or the whole setup of him singing back to her while working really screamed old married couple? LOL. Like "yes dear, give me a minute". :p

Not just you...I loved the sing-song back to her.   And....I think he knew that she knew that he liked what he saw. She was very confident.  :icon_wink::icon_lol::icon_mrgreen:

If not looking at her is anything other than just being busy, it's wanting to avoid the conversation because he's actively trying to work up to kissing her.

Yes, he was avoiding looking at her and keeping busy to avoid looking at her because he is actively working up courage to kiss her, but as I said, his desire has to be at least as great as or greater than his fear.  He isn't quite there yet, but he knew he would be tempted if he looked at her, or she might see "evidence" of his reaction to her beauty which would embarrass him and he isn't ready for either.  :icon_redface::icon_biggrin:

Edited by stardustmelody

Heres a little possible kiss scene

Sheldon has a sore neck so Amy offers a massage and sheldon accepts, he is sitting at his desk and amy is behind him and he is so happy afterwards that they both lean in for a little kiss :)

The height difference would make it look awkward to have a standing kiss i reckon, though the awkwardness may make it look funny

Very cute scenario, but since they had the neck massage before, I am not sure they would go there again.  They might though and that would be sweet. 

I personally am hoping for something a little more emotion driven, but since it is a comedy, it is hard to tell how they are going to do it.   They just better do it this season!  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Well, I am off to bed.  Goodnight all and happy jibber jabbering.   :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by stardustmelody

I think the kiss is probably going to be cute and funny but meaningful at the same time, like every other major step they've taken. I don't think it's going to be a casual every-day scenario.

Re: the alternative ending to the V-day ep, I have a question. Would you guys feel better about it if the scene that was cut were a break-up (or something negative) or if it were a kiss?

I think the kiss is probably going to be cute and funny but meaningful at the same time, like every other major step they've taken. I don't think it's going to be a casual every-day scenario.

Re: the alternative ending to the V-day ep, I have a question. Would you guys feel better about it if the scene that was cut were a break-up (or something negative) or if it were a kiss?

Neither one.  I think it was nearly perfect.  The only thing I might change is when he complained about how she was ruining Valentime's Day, I would also have him either hug her back or (better yet) lean his head over against hers.

I'm glad they didn't have their first non-drunk real kiss on V-day.  They're way too unconventional for that.  Besides, that scene already had a de facto ILY, which was plenty for one episode.  Finally, if they had kissed the Shamy storyline would have completely overshadowed the other stories in that episode.  It was meant to be a balance of the four stories, and Shamy was already the bright spot--but maybe I'm biased.  :)

Oh, and tonight we learned that Amy is as bad a liar as Sheldon is.  The story to her boss was extremely lame.

Edited by tmp
  • Like 1

Neither one.  I think it was nearly perfect.  The only thing I might change is when he complained about how she was ruining Valentime's Day, I would also have him either hug her back or (better yet) lean his head over against hers.

I'm glad they didn't have their first non-drunk real kiss on V-day.  They're way too unconventional for that.  Besides, that scene already had a de facto ILY, which was plenty for one episode.  Finally, if they had kissed the Shamy storyline would have completely overshadowed the other stories in that episode.  It was meant to be a balance of the four stories, and Shamy was already the bright spot--but maybe I'm biased.  :)

No, what I mean is... maybe I need to rephrase my question. In terms of where the writers minds are at, and regardless of the actual scene, would you feel better if it sounded like the writers had something more in mind for them or if something bad was cut? Like in 6x01 where they went with Amy taking the quote instead of rushing out.

No, what I mean is... maybe I need to rephrase my question. In terms of where the writers minds are at, and regardless of the actual scene, would you feel better if it sounded like the writers had something more in mind for them or if something bad was cut? Like in 6x01 where they went with Amy taking the quote instead of rushing out.

That's news to me.  Did they originally have her rushing out?  If so, wouldn't that have signaled a break-up, if only a temporary one?

I'd prefer they had more in mind for Shamy, but held back (but they better stop holding back soon! lol)

Here's a scene I've had in mind for awhile:

The whole group goes to a NYE party (maybe at the comic book store). Sheldon understands, by way of Penny or other characters, that a kiss at midnight is customary. The clock strikes midnight and all the other couples kiss. Sheldon, instead, leans in, then nervously extends his hand and shakes Amy's hand to her great disappointment. 

Later, at Amy's apartment, Sheldon walks Amy in. She is still clearly annoyed. He's jibber-jabbering about how arbitrary it is to celebrate the new year at a certain time as a the world is spinning and midnight there is dinner time somewhere else, etc. She's nodding and half listening as he continues to say how, for example, it's almost midnight in Hawaii. He looks at his watch and counts down....5, 4, 3, 2, 1...Happy New Year....and then kisses her. A sweet but passionate kiss that he certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable doing in front of his friends at the party, but that he relishes with her alone. After, a stunned Amy looks like she might faint and just says, "Mahalo." (Hawaiian for thank you lol)

end scene

Well, that is of course if they were cruel enough to make us wait that long, and I think a SIK is coming before this season's end. Anyway, it's been in my head and I thought - who would appreciate this? So, shared it here. :)

• Like 5

That's news to me.  Did they originally have her rushing out?  If so, wouldn't that have signaled a break-up, if only a temporary one?

According to the taping report for that one they did a few takes and in one she walks out of the restaurant instead of taking his movie quote as an adequate reply.

I'd prefer they had more in mind for Shamy, but held back (but they better stop holding back soon! lol)

The whole group goes to a NYE party (maybe at the comic book store). Sheldon understands, by way of Penny or other characters, that a kiss at midnight is customary. The clock strikes midnight and all the other couples kiss. Sheldon, instead, leans in, then nervously extends his hand and shakes Amy's hand to her great disappointment. 

Later, at Amy's apartment, Sheldon walks Amy in. She is still clearly annoyed. He's jibber-jabbering about how arbitrary it is to celebrate the new year at a certain time as a the world is spinning and midnight there is dinner time somewhere else, etc. She's nodding and half listening as he continues to say how, for example, it's almost midnight in Hawaii. He looks at his watch and counts down....5, 4, 3, 2, 1...Happy New Year....and then kisses her. A sweet but passionate kiss that he certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable doing in front of his friends at the party, but that he relishes with her alone. After, a stunned Amy looks like she might faint and just says, "Mahalo." (Hawaiian for thank you lol)

end scene

Well, that is of course if they were cruel enough to make us wait that long, and I think a SIK is coming before this season's end. Anyway, it's been in my head and I thought - who would appreciate this? So, shared it here. :)

Holy crap on a crustacean. :icon_redface:  

That whole scenario just made me squeal a little - I can totally see them using something whacky, yet meaningful like that for Shamy's first kiss. Well played! 

According to the taping report for that one they did a few takes and in one she walks out of the restaurant instead of taking his movie quote as an adequate reply.

Wouldn't that have signaled a break-up?

end scene

That scenario is amazing! And so in character! I just don't think I can wait another 9 months for that to happen :p 

Wouldn't that have signaled a break-up?

I don't know how that would have played out in the next episode. In the scene they cut they have him run after her sprouting out more meaningless compliments like "I like your sweater!". So I really don't know what they had in mind if they had used that scene. I'm just really glad they didn't.

As for the V-day ep, I think I'd be more relieved if there had been something more that was toned down than something bad that was cut because I'd be slightly worried if with all the progress they've made this year the writers' trajectory still included something negative. Of course, it could be that the original ending was something completely neutral, like Sheldon giving her the print of the neuron instead of keeping it. 

• Like 1

Agreed, that would be a long wait. I had this scene in mind since before THIS PAST New Years.  :icon_razz:

Sometimes, it seems that the writers are really balancing the progression of Shamy with a certain let's call it  "tone". As though they aren't always sure how far to push. As long as they are moving forward, I'm happy. Well, sometimes frustrated, but in the end, happy.

Edited by shamylove

I agree. If they want to drag it out I'd much rather they did that via spreading out romantic moments than via drama. I just think these two have a lot of issues to overcome already that they don't require drama to stay interesting.

The other thing though, is that they need to give a little at some point soon. 3 years will be a long time even for them to be still stuck pre-kiss and with no type of relationship-like physical contact. They started off the season showing them holding hands and stuff and then suddenly stopped, it was kind of weird. I know Sheldon thinks some stuff is hippy-dippy and he's too proud to do it so I'm in no way suggesting they should be holding hands all the time or turn into Lenny. But it seemed weird to me that that was a one-off. If they don't let them get acquainted to this type of contact I feel like the progression to the bedroom might feel a bit too sudden and rushed when they decide to do it. Like.. nothing, nothing, kiss, nothing, nothing, nothing, sex! I'd like it if they did something like they do for their off-screen every day anecdotes: very brief and mundane but scattered around and meaningful at the same time

• Like 2

I haven't even seen it yet and just reading about the sing-song scene is giving me warm fuzzies. (I think everyone already knows that I agree with Spook about the tag, so I won't repeat that). 

I'm also so happy that we had 'good Sheldon' in this episode.. the one who is mature and dedicated to science and respects women for their academic achievements. He called them 'brilliant'? :wub:

Regarding the ending of the V-day episode.. I would really like it if they had planned just a touch more of physical affection between them, but then backed off and decided to space it out. (Also all of it together - the gifts and the affection - may be have just too momentous for one episode). Somehow I'm not thinking break-up at all. I don't think they'd do that at this time; most of what has happened in this season has been in the positive direction, between them, and (contrary to what a few naysayers think) I don't see that degree of frustration or dissatisfaction in Amy at all. She seems happy and confident about the relationship, and quite in control of it, for the most part.

Honestly, the way Mayim speaks of Jim is almost like she's in love with him. Can't say I blame her. LOL. Anyway, I adore their friendship as well.

Who's talking of blaming her? More like, we're just a little bit envious of her for being in the position to work with him and get a platonic colleague crush on him. :icon_redface:

Edited by Pomita

I don't think Sheldon was being mean to Amy.  What I found most interesting is he couldn't look at her and kept busy at the computer to avoid looking at her.  I interpret that, that he was very much affected by how she looked (and has been struggling with his growing feelings for her in general) and so he does what Sheldon always does best...shut down and instead focused on work.   He did sing-song his response to her teasingly and didn't come right out and say "no", but I do believe he was struggling with his feelings and found it easiest to focus on something else instead.  He isn't ready.   As I said a few days ago...he has to cross that threshold where his desire because as great as if not greater than his fear.  He just isn't there yet. But I have to believe that they are planning something really wonderful before the end of this season to prove he has been fighting his own urges for a while.   :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with Spook...you don't want their kiss to be rushed in a tag scene (that is supposed to always be leaving us on a laugh).  Instead you want it to be the central part of the story. :icon_mrgreen:

God, that was totally Mayim in this ep though! haha! She looks SO different! The transformation was spot-on. There are already people commenting on how Sheldon is a jerk in the episode thread, they really don't get it. I thought Leonard in particular was a bit pathetic getting naked right away, at least with Howardette it was clear Bernadette wanted to role play. 

Which leads me to the point below:

Exactly! He was SO mature throughout the ep, and especially at the end. Not only he understood all the sexual puns, even the one aboud D.D. Melons!!! But he was respectful and serious about the whole matter. It's just further proof that he isn't sexist, it's just him sprouting out stuff his dad used to say without thinking when he gets all misogynistic. I love that he said Bernadette and Amy are brilliant scientists. I love that he came up with the ideas and saved the day and yet was still Sheldon about it all. There was nothing not to love about him in this episode.

Not just you...I loved the sing-song back to her.   And....I think he knew that she knew that he liked what he saw. She was very confident.  :icon_wink::icon_lol::icon_mrgreen:

Yes, he was avoiding looking at her and keeping busy to avoid looking at her because he is actively working up courage to kiss her, but as I said, his desire has to be at least as great as or greater than his fear.  He isn't quite there yet, but he knew he would be tempted if he looked at her, or she might see "evidence" of his reaction to her beauty which would embarrass him and he isn't ready for either.  :icon_redface::icon_biggrin:

What can I say after all your posts. I agree with that completely. :icon_razz:

Maybe I just share with thoughts about it.

First thing,  we all see she really looked SO DIFFERENT  and BEAUTIFUL :icon_redface::wub:   and if he didn't like it what he saw, when he saw her, she wouldn't lay like this on that couch, and she's so confident that she looks stunning, and that her different look is so opposite to her normal look(I don't mind her normal clothes, on the contrary)  like she knew,  that he definitely will notice the way she looks, that  it will put him in amazement, and a little ashamed  so much, that he won't knew what to do, because he never have been in that situation, and he did not see her like that.

She shines and she  is so sure of herself, as if she knew his reaction would be exactly what she had expected  ( apart of that she wants a kiss!) that  it will make such an impression on him that he will  not even be able to look at her, because  desire mixed with  fear in him, quirks and phobias mixed what he feels when he see her like this. He knew that when he will come closer to her, and  when he will look at her, and  when he will kiss her,  it will be no turning back. Because he wants it,  he's just not ready. And  he's afraid that she will want more than a kiss, and that scares him the most, because he  feels that "what grows in him :wub:;) :D ," and he fears of  being ashamed, and the fact that the he isn't be able to deal with this, what  will happen.

He's  a perfectionist, so I think that he wants, that it would be perfect. Only Amy can help him realize that she just wants him with whole package.

In the end, he  really is not a robot, and even though that he really wants to hide it, he  is no longer able to hide how strong impression she make on him, because   her brilliance of the mind combined with the mystery , and  at the end her beautiful look (no matter what clothes she wears!)it's  mixture  which he will not be able to resist.

Edited by silverangelD
  • Like 1