The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

I definitely appreciate that the writers are thinking smart when it comes to Sheldon & Amy and not rushing things. This is a relationship that can't be rushed...no matter how badly we want it. LOL. 

Here's hoping for a Sheldon initiated kiss this season!

Monique

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

They will have to figure out a way to make sure that the audience is clued in that Sheldon is starting to have similar thoughts as Amy, but just handling them differently.  It will look too one-sided otherwise.  There are already many posters that claim she looks desperate (which I disagree with because she goes along with many of what Sheldon suggests and just gets her enjoyment even if he isn't taking things the same way).  I don't want that "desperate Amy" cry though to start to grow.  So they will have to be careful to balance them a bit more.   :icon_neutral:

ITA. I actually think that if they want to take things as slow as they seem to they need to tone down Amy's sexual references a little bit. Otherwise you do have them in two completely different places and there's only so long you can drag that out. If they're more or less in the same place, even though one might be readier than the other, it's a lot easier to drag it out in a realistic way.

• Like 1

ITA. I actually think that if they want to take things as slow as they seem to they need to tone down Amy's sexual references a little bit. Otherwise you do have them in two completely different places and there's only so long you can drag that out. If they're more or less in the same place, even though one might be readier than the other, it's a lot easier to drag it out in a realistic way.

Yes...like in the Nanny with Fran and Mr. Sheffield.   For a while you thought she wanted him more than he wanted her...but at a point, they made it clear he wanted her as much, but just went about it differently and so they could drag it out a long time.  You have to show there is desire by both or else it comes across too unbalanced and you don't root for the couple any longer.   That is what the writers are going to have to deal with.  They need to balance it out and show that Sheldon is having feelings (TLA is a prime example).   We thought they were more balanced after TLA and were happy to go along, but unfortunately they unbalanced them.   They need to bring them back more in synch.

As usual I disagree vehemenently with you BOTH,

If she finds her boyfriend sexy or she is hot for him - it is a) her boyfriend  B) he doesn't mind  c) its hilarious - then GO AMY! EXPRESS YOURSELF GIRL!!!!

I'm beginning to find that it is only the minute minority of only fangirls/boys who bitch about little things like a girl saying "my bf makes my loins on fire" - like really?

The general public from what I discern laps it up and generally loves all things Shamy related....

So all I'm saying is chill the hell out, watch and laugh but please the complaints at this point are so overblown, let them do their thing (writers, Shamy) , the goodship Shamy smooth sailing....

As usual I disagree vehemenently with you BOTH,

If she finds her boyfriend sexy or she is hot for him - it is a) her boyfriend   B) he doesn't mind  c) its hilarious - then GO AMY! EXPRESS YOURSELF GIRL!!!!

I'm beginning to find that it is only the minute minority of only fangirls/boys who bitch about little things like a girl saying "my bf makes my loins on fire" - like really?

The general public from what I discern laps it up and generally loves all things Shamy related....

So all I'm saying is chill the hell out, watch and laugh but please the complaints at this point are so overblown, let them do their thing (writers, Shamy) , the goodship Shamy smooth sailing....

There are plenty of fans who are calling Amy desperate.  You may not agree with them...I don't agree with them, but you cannot ignore that they are out there and they are doing that.  Many have written into the show stating that.  Then there are plain Amy haters out there as well.   All I am saying is that to help nullify some of the negative comments from those fans, perhaps if they show a better balance it would help.   It would keep some of those folks silent because they no longer can complain that Amy is desperate if they show Sheldon in his own way, whether it be through conversation with Leonard or dreams, cares about Amy and is having more sexual feelings toward her.   I have no problem with Amy calling him sexy and enjoying him.  I don't find her desperate in the least.  I think she is perfectly within her rights to do what she does and the writers have done her character well.   However, that being said, if for two more years she is doing all of the sexy talk and Sheldon is still acting totally oblivious, it will make the audience start to grow that will be calling her desperate.  That was the whole point of what I was saying.   I know you think the writers can do no wrong, but they nearly ruined Lenny as a couple.   They finally redeemed themselves somewhat with her ILY this season, but they have a lot more to do to bring back spark and interest in them.   So they can blow it at times.

With the Nanny, you saw Sheffield having feelings for Fran without her knowing it and obviously she had them for him long before he had them for her.   However, they did it well because you knew he had feelings for her...even if she didn't know.   That is what I was suggesting....do something like that for Shamy so that it keeps you glued waiting for those special moments to come and those awkward moments because she won't know that he actually is starting to have and fighting similar feelings.  

• Like 2

There are plenty of fans who are calling Amy desperate.  You may not agree with them...I don't agree with them, but you cannot ignore that they are out there and they are doing that.  Many have written into the show stating that.  Then there are plain Amy haters out there as well.   All I am saying is that to help nullify some of the negative comments from those fans, perhaps if they show a better balance it would help.   It would keep some of those folks silent because they no longer can complain that Amy is desperate if they show Sheldon in his own way, whether it be through conversation with Leonard or dreams, cares about Amy and is having more sexual feelings toward her.   I have no problem with Amy calling him sexy and enjoying him.  I don't find her desperate in the least.  I think she is perfectly within her rights to do what she does and the writers have done her character well.   However, that being said, if for two more years she is doing all of the sexy talk and Sheldon is still acting totally oblivious, it will make the audience start to grow that will be calling her desperate.  That was the whole point of what I was saying.   I know you think the writers can do no wrong, but they nearly ruined Lenny as a couple.   They finally redeemed themselves somewhat with her ILY this season, but they have a lot more to do to bring back spark and interest in them.   So they can blow it at times.

^ This. Especially the part in bold. 

You guys make good points. At the same time though, I just DON'T GET how anyone could see Amy as desperate (I know you girls don't see it that way, I mean the people that do). It's STUPID! LOL. Has she got Sheldon drunk and tied him down to his bed and had her way with him? Did I miss that episode? LOL.

I think it's unfair that Amy is not allowed to be one step ahead of Sheldon as far as her wants and needs in the relationship without her being called "desperate."

Desperate??? Try the most "patient" woman on the show! LOL. So the hell what? She wants what any of us would want from Sheldon. At least she's not pressuring him to do things he's not ready for yet.

I don't think the writers need to tone her ways down either...they need to tone Sheldon's ways up! LOL ;-PPPPP

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 4

I don't think the writers need to tone her ways down either...they need to tone Sheldon ways up! LOL ;-PPPPP

Monique

Exactly my point.  They need to make sure we are seeing Sheldon ramping up...not changing Amy any.   And...the thing is...they don't even need Amy to see it...just the audience needs to see that he is making progress.  ;)

• Like 1

You guys make good points. At the same time though, I just DON'T GET how anyone could see Amy as desperate (I know you girls don't see it that way, I mean the people that do). It's STUPID! LOL. Has she got Sheldon drunk and tied him down to his bed and had her way with him? Did I miss that episode? LOL.

I think it's unfair that Amy is not allowed to be one step ahead of Sheldon as far as her wants and needs in the relationship without her being called "desperate."

Desperate??? Try the most "patient" woman on the show! LOL. So the hell what? She wants what any of us would want from Sheldon. At least she's not pressuring him to do things he's not ready for yet.

I don't think the writers need to tone her ways down either...they need to tone Sheldon's ways up! LOL ;-PPPPP

Monique

Yup, I totally agree.

The thing is though, that I think when "ruin a good thing" is being mentioned, with regards to the Shamy, people mostly mean Sheldon. Not because I don't think the Shamy is a good thing, quite the contrary. I'm worried about ruining them both, not just one. But most people are incredibly protective of Sheldon, rather than Amy, so that even a little deviation from the norm sets off their Sheldon-alarms. I agree they need to tone Sheldon up, but I am doubtful they will any time soon because they're afraid of the backlash they would get from the part of the audience that does not want Sheldon to change ever. Just as there is a part of the audience who is an Amy-hater precisely because she is changing Sheldon (although I don't think she's *changing* him per se, but that's for another discussion).

So if they don't tone him up, they need to tone her down a little to make it a little bit more believable that she's just going to wait 2+ more seasons. I hope they do tone him up, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think Stardust is perfectly right that they could/should do it so that the audience knows but Amy doesn't, in a similar way we know about his emotional growth but Amy doesn't really.

• Like 1

We haven't seen Mary Cooper since S/A became officially a couple.  I'm anxious for them to show how she interacts with them both now that they're in a relationship.  She might push him forward a bit, maybe probe him for how he feels about Amy or encourage/manipulate him into hugging or possibly even kissing Amy.

Yeah, they're way far away from sex, but what is significant to me about that quote is that it should quell any thought of an impending break-up.

If this is recent, then yes the Shamy will be like the first half of the year; so stasis. The show has great ratings and they won't rock the boat.

Yup, I totally agree.

The thing is though, that I think when "ruin a good thing" is being mentioned, with regards to the Shamy, people mostly mean Sheldon. Not because I don't think the Shamy is a good thing, quite the contrary. I'm worried about ruining them both, not just one. But most people are incredibly protective of Sheldon, rather than Amy, so that even a little deviation from the norm sets off their Sheldon-alarms. I agree they need to tone Sheldon up, but I am doubtful they will any time soon because they're afraid of the backlash they would get from the part of the audience that does not want Sheldon to change ever. Just as there is a part of the audience who is an Amy-hater precisely because she is changing Sheldon (although I don't think she's *changing* him per se, but that's for another discussion).

So if they don't tone him up, they need to tone her down a little to make it a little bit more believable that she's just going to wait 2+ more seasons. I hope they do tone him up, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think Stardust is perfectly right that they could/should do it so that the audience knows but Amy doesn't, in a similar way we know about his emotional growth but Amy doesn't really.

This is very true. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that most people here (not just Shamy fans, and even some Sheldon purists) loved how they handled Launch Acceleration. Somehow Sheldon was very Sheldonesque in his behavior in that episode, even though he admitted to feeling uncharacteristic feelings. It was liked more than, for example, a Stag Convergence was, which didn't even have anything to do with the Shamy, but in which Sheldon acted a little more hyper.

This gives me hope and makes me feel that it may be possible for them to handle 'toning up' Sheldon in a way that pleases most people. It seems that many of the purists have more of an issue with his behaving in an out-of-character way (in his body language etc), than with his having or expressing romantic feelings. They just have to be felt and expressed in his own unique way.

• Like 2

I wish I had the same enthusiasm for this relationship as the other posters here. I reserved judgement in the beginning because I wanted to see how it worked out. But I just can't shake off the feeling that these two just don't work romantically. Leonard and Penny work, but Sheldon and Amy aren't right.

Edited by Moonbase

I'm the opposite. L/P don't interest me that much, they're too normal for me. They're cute and I hope they don't have any more drama and definitely would like an happy ending for them, but S/A are the first couple since Mulder and Scully I find addictive. I don't usually ship anyone on tv, there's just something about these two.

• Like 2

I wish I had the same enthusiasm for this relationship as the other posters here. I reserved judgement in the beginning because I wanted to see how it worked out. But I just can't shake off the feeling that these two just don't work romantically. Leonard and Penny work, but Sheldon and Amy aren't right.

My feeling is like yours. The Shamy don't work romantically by normal conventions. But that seems to be what the writers want. They are a previously undefined "romantic" paradigm we have never seen on TV before.

Penny and Leonard work under the traditional rules that have been established for romance in popular entertainment, they are headed for marriage and children with all the excepted bumps along the way. TPTB are taking the Shamy in previously unknown territory and it will be interesting to see if they can come out with the same result.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

My feeling is like yours. The Shamy don't work romantically by normal conventions. But that seems to be what the writers want. They are a previously undefined "romantic" paradigm we have never seen on TV before.   Penny and Leonard work under the traditional rules that have been established for popular entertainment, they are headed for marriage and children with all the excepted bumps along the way. TPTB are taking the Shamy in previously unknown territory and it will be interesting to see if they can come out with the same result.
I understand what the writers are doing. My point is Leonard and Penny feel like a couple now. Sheldon and Amy feel wrong. I like their scenes but they don't do as much for me as I hoped. Giving Sheldon a girlfriend is interesting but was this the right one?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
I understand what the writers are doing. My point is Leonard and Penny feel like a couple now. Sheldon and Amy feel wrong. I like their scenes but they don't do as much for me as I hoped. Giving Sheldon a girlfriend is interesting but was this the right one?

Well, to me, it's totally the opposite. Leonard & Penny don't work for me, at all while I do love the Shamy relationship. They are much more in sync with each other than any other couple on the show, despite their own conflicts. I really like that they are not the typical couple at all, that's what I love about them.

• Like 4

What do you mean they feel "wrong" though? If they don't fit the mould of what is commonly perceived as romantic, they won't feel "right", of course. But that's done on purpose. I think this is the most interesting and realistic way to give him a girlfriend: he will obviously never consider engaging with anyone that he perceives as being inferior to him intellectually, so she needed to be as smart as him and hold her ground against him, and he obviously would have never developed a romantic relationship the conventional way since physical attraction is not something that crosses his mind, so the fact that she was originally totally against physical contact like he was, and just as judgmental about feelings and romance, was crucial to allow them to grow closer. They then let Amy grow because there's no point in having 2 Sheldons. 

I actually see L/P and S/A as mirror images of each other: one is the typical "opposites attract" kind of love story, very physical and the love-at-first-sight thing for Leonard was all about sexual attraction ("our babies will be smart and beautiful"). The other is a new kind of "they make them in pairs" kind of love story, very intellectual and the love-at-first-sight thing for Sheldon was all about intellect ("we have the potential to produce intellectually superior benign overlords"). And I think the reason why so many people seem to either ship one or the other, rather than both, is because of this "mirror image" thing: one couple lacks what you find appealing, and the other has it, and viceversa.

• Like 6

I guess I just have a mega soft for this kind of 'slow moving' relationship where two people have a profound understanding of each other before moving to the next stage. It's a little like the Tiara scene, where it seemed a lighthearted and simply cute but to quote Mayim, "the conveyed intent was that Sheldon’s understanding of [Amy] was so deep and so perfect and so touching and so profound that it literally weakened [her] knees". 

It's just incredibly endearing to watch them move forward based on the depth of their respect for each other, rather than flat-out physical desire. 

Edited by Razberrypie
  • Like 7

Sheldon and Amy are perfection personified....hence their popularity which I saw on Halloween with the plethora of couples dressed as them. Something so electric and unusual, heartwarming and endearing about them. I disagree strongly with the folks on here about how to develop them, but they are the sweetest thing. 

And just to boost my ego, just type in "Sheldon Amy" in Twitter, and see the plethora of love (90%) - the posts are ones of adoration. 

Again, I must point out the small percentage less than 1% of fans who participate in online fandoms are so not representative of the general populus. While the Sheldon purists bitch about small shit like Sheldon spanking his totally clothed girlfriend (as opposed to getting naked in a car, eating things from Leonard's hand) - the majority of viewers love it, cheer for Amy and root for Sheldon's emerging maturity.

Btw, Leonard and Penny are the most boring, eye scratching, predictable nauseating couple on screen, Howardette does sweet  and they do it well.

But since THGG I realized that Shamy was endgame, and this season Amy have put a timeline on marriage - I'm the happiest shipper out there. And it would be the most boring thing if Sheldon and Amy were on the same level, there must be a catalyst for progress and Amy is it....

Finally, I can guarantee u that Bill, Chuck nor ANY of the writers care what 'people who write into the show' think. They built the characters and know them best - I'll leave it to them.

Also Tara Hernandez is the Shamy specialist of writers....love her to pieces.

I guess I just have a mega soft for this kind of 'slow moving' relationship where two people have a profound understanding of each other before moving to the next stage. It's a little like the Tiara scene, where it seemed a lighthearted and simply cute but to quote Mayim, "the conveyed intent was that Sheldon’s understanding of [Amy] was so deep and so perfect and so touching and so profound that it literally weakened [her] knees". 

Hmmmm... I thought what happened in the show was exactly the opposite 

Initially , Sheldon did not understand that Amy wanted him to "support/praise/be happy with" her achievement which he dismisses rather easily.... then it was Leonard who gave the advice to Sheldon to buy her something.....Penny took him shopping...Yes, he bought the tiara.....but Sheldon's reaction after seeing Amy's reaction to the Tiara clearly showed us that he never expected that kind of reaction from her..."You're right Tiara was too much"....

Never in this episode I felt like Sheldon understood Amy

And he clearly wanted to buy off Amy's hurt feelings rather than change himself which fit his character

Amy's reaction to the Tiara was excellent thought and brilliantly acted... it showed how the lonely teenage girl inside her was over the moon on being given such a present by her boyfriend

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Initially , Sheldon did not understand that Amy wanted him to "support/praise/be happy with" her achievement which he dismisses rather easily.... then it was Leonard gave the advice to Sheldon to buy her something.....Penny took him shopping...he bought the tiara.....Sheldon's reaction after seeing Amy's reaction to the Tiara clearly showed us that he never expected that kind of reaction from her..."You're right Tiara was too much"....

And he clearly wanted to buy off Amy's hurt feelings rather than change himself which fit his character

Amy's reaction to the Tiara was excellent thought and brilliantly acted... it showed how the lonely teenage girl inside her was over the moon on being given such a present by her boyfriend

And you fail to understand that Sheldon understood her so perfectly to buy her a tiara....Penny suggested it was too much but he went ahead and bought it anyways. Deep down, he knew his girl would absolutely love it. 

And as for buying off her feelings this was like 2 episodes after becoming her bf, compare that to TVS when he was so open and vulnerable apologizing for his behavior in the lab.

That contrite 'Sorry' and that face was one of the greatest moments in Shamy history. 

Initially , Sheldon did not understand that Amy wanted him to "support/praise/be happy with" her achievement which he dismisses rather easily.... then it was Leonard gave the advice to Sheldon to buy her something.....Penny took him shopping...he bought the tiara.....Sheldon's reaction after seeing Amy's reaction to the Tiara clearly showed us that he never expected that kind of reaction from her..."You're right Tiara was too much"....

No, Mayim is talking specifically about Sheldon choosing the tiara, not the whole episode. In the post the quote is from, she's talking about what the writers wanted her to convey as an actress in that scene. Penny obviously had told him that the tiara was too much, she was probably suggesting something else. And Amy, when she saw he got her jewelry, but didn't know what it was, was still angry at him for trying to buy her affections. Which means if Sheldon had gone with what Penny suggested, the apology would have failed. But because he got her something that sent her over the moon, it showed that he, maybe subconsciously, understands her better than anybody else. So even though the choice of buying something was totally in character because he didn't have to deal with her feelings, the choice of the present itself is what made that scene special.

Edited by spook
  • Like 4

You're right, but just because he didn't expect her to react so strongly, it doesn't mean he didn't know she'd want it.

A tiara is a kind of unusual gift and the fact that he went against Penny telling him that it was 'too much' and her suggestions of a more ordinary necklace or bracelet shows that he knew he'd need to get his quirky woman a quirky gift ;)

• Like 1

You're right, but just because he didn't expect her to react so strongly, it doesn't mean he didn't know she'd want it.

A tiara is a kind of unusual gift and the fact that he went against Penny telling him that it was 'too much' and her suggestions of a more ordinary necklace or bracelet shows that he knew he'd need to get his quirky woman a quirky gift ;)

In that episode Sheldon was trying to do the bare minimum to keep Amy happy and nothing more...

And I think why he chose the Tiara was because of his ignorance of appropriate jewellery not because deep down he knew Amy would like it....which was clearly implied in the show

No, Mayim is talking specifically about Sheldon choosing the tiara, not the whole episode. In the post the quote is from, she's talking about what the writers wanted her to convey as an actress in that scene. Penny obviously had told him that the tiara was too much, she was probably suggesting something else. And Amy, when she saw he got her jewelry, but didn't know what it was, was still angry at him for trying to buy her affections. Which means if Sheldon had gone with what Penny suggested, the apology would have failed. But because he got her something that sent her over the moon, it showed that he, maybe subconsciously, understands her better than anybody else. So even though the choice of buying something was totally in character because he didn't have to deal with her feelings, the choice of the present itself is what made that scene special.

I am not saying the scene was not special... I thought it was one of the most memorable moments in the series..

but it was never implied in this episode that he subconsciously /consciously understood Amy better than anybody else

Edited by vasu

In that episode Sheldon was trying to do the bare minimum to keep Amy happy and nothing more...

And I think why he chose the Tiara was because of his ignorance of appropriate jewellery not because deep down he knew Amy would like it....which was clearly implied in the show

I am not saying the scene was not special... I thought it was one of the most memorable moments in the series..

but it was never implied in this episode that he subconsciously /consciously understood Amy better than anybody else

Are you watching a different show or are you deliberately thick?

He bought it because of ignorance and not because his girl would like it...you post alot of bullshit but this is the shittiest post of them all.

You need to get past ur issues with Amy and see what is right in front of your face. 

Also, the actors who have actual interactions with the writers know what the intention is/was than you and your obliviousness.

Man, people say Sheldon is oblivious but you take the cake with this nonsensical post.

Edited by Kiru Breezy