The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

I'm glad Jim and Mayim are friends IRL, but they're both far too professional to let their personal relationship be reflected on screen, whether good or bad. 

It's interesting that we look at these folks like they're gods and their co-workers are lucky to work beside them.  They seem to appreciate one another but as regular people, not gods.  It makes me think about my own co-workers and wonder if, under other circumstances, they might be revered like that.  It actually makes me appreciate them a little more.

• Like 3

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

I actually never really get into the actors for some reason. Never happened, even with TXF. I REALLY get into the characters but I can't get into the actors just because I simply don't know enough about them for me to get interested. You don't get to "know them" like you do with the characters. Not that I'd want to have all the gossips about their personal lives anyway. My interest usually stops at interviews about the show, I don't even care about other projects they might have. I like reading Mayim's posts now and then though, because she sounds like such a fangirl :p And because she actually writes about interesting stuff. 

• Like 4

Agreed. Well... they can lose some ;) Just not all of it.

They definitely need to lose some of it. ;)

It's interesting that we look at these folks like they're gods and their co-workers are lucky to work beside them.  They seem to appreciate one another but as regular people, not gods.  It makes me think about my own co-workers and wonder if, under other circumstances, they might be revered like that.  It actually makes me appreciate them a little more.

Actually one can get crushes on one's own co-workers too. :p

I actually never really get into the actors for some reason. Never happened, even with TXF. I REALLY get into the characters but I can't get into the actors just because I simply don't know enough about them for me to get interested. You don't get to "know them" like you do with the characters. Not that I'd want to have all the gossips about their personal lives anyway. My interest usually stops at interviews about the show, I don't even care about other projects they might have. I like reading Mayim's posts now and then though, because she sounds like such a fangirl :p And because she actually writes about interesting stuff. 

Me too, though I realize I used "we" a moment ago.  I have tremendous admiration for the actors professionally and I'm interested in the BTS stuff, but they're people just like any of us.  I don't want to know much about them personally because it takes away from my ability to suspend disbelief.  For example, when Sheldon has been present when a gay joke is made, I wonder how Jim feels about it.  (I am an outspoken advocate of gay rights and sometimes even the gentle jokes on TBBT make me cringe.)  I'm also aware every time Mayim has to wear something that doesn't fit with her religious convictions.  That kind of thing takes me out of the story.

• Like 3

Me too, though I realize I used "we" a moment ago.  I have tremendous admiration for the actors professionally and I'm interested in the BTS stuff, but they're people just like any of us.  I don't want to know much about them personally because it takes away from my ability to suspend disbelief.  For example, when Sheldon has been present when a gay joke is made, I wonder how Jim feels about it.  (I am an outspoken advocate of gay rights and sometimes even the gentle jokes on TBBT make me cringe.)  I'm also aware every time Mayim has to wear something that doesn't fit with her religious convictions.  That kind of thing takes me out of the story.

Jim has been exposed to having to say far worse lines than what has been on TBBT in previous projects he has been involved in as far as "gay jokes"...in fact they were not even really jokes in one of the films he was in.  It was  hard to watch him have to say them actually.   So I know what you mean.

I'm glad Jim and Mayim are friends IRL, but they're both far too professional to let their personal relationship be reflected on screen, whether good or bad. 

I meant that they have chemistry and it shows. Not all actors do - just like not all coworkers get along, but can work together if need be. To me, there is something special when there is an innate chemistry (not sexual).

I see Jim and Mayim as real people and I have to separate my feelings for their characters and my (reality-based) feelings of the actors. IRL, I would want to be friends with Mayim. If such a universe existed where that were possible. I admire her character, just as I admire Jim's humility. Of course, that is based on what they present to the public through interviews, etc. Mayim is more open about her life - blog, book, public talks - so it's easier to feel like you know her more.

After writing some fanfic, I saw a pic of Jim. A breathtaking pic of Jim, btw, and felt immediately guilty. Like I violated him or something. Then I had to reshift my focus and remember the writing is about fictional characters and he is a real live person. Still, I hope he never reads a fan fic. ever. haha

***that said, if I were to have a chance meeting with Jim irl, I admire him so much as an actor that I would find it hard to speak.

Edited by shamylove
  • Like 2

Jim has been exposed to having to say far worse lines than what has been on TBBT in previous projects he has been involved in as far as "gay jokes"...in fact they were not even really jokes in one of the films he was in.  It was  hard to watch him have to say them actually.   So I know what you mean.

I have  to tell  you that, I have enough of this jokes in TBBT . I know that it supposed to be funny, and it has nothing to do with him but I wonder how he feels. It's just so stereotype, and I know that he's proffesional and this is his job, but like stardust said it's so hard to watch him when he must face that, and stay cool,  and play his role his character in TBBT or others. I think that he takes it with dignity, and he's beyond that.

I think that Mayim is so great with all her being herself and not bending to others. She's so true with all her religion and beliefs, and that's why I admire that in them. And I must say that for me it could be great to have such wonderful friends like Mayim and Jim.

As to the actors and being fan etc.  I treat them,  like a normal people, with normal job, and whole that fame is just a bonus, sometimes good, sometimes bad. That's it. I can like someone, or I can say that I love someone but it's just silent admiration, and it has nothing to do with love or being fanatic about someone, or not having love in real life.

We can say that we don't know them that much,and that is true, but something they can play and something don't. When we see interviews but the real one  when there are more serious questions, when we feel them relaxed and when they are closer to fans some stuff they can't hide or play. It's between lines, it's in their eyes, in their body language facial expressions.

Edited by silverangelD

I agree about the clothing layering...I do the same thing because the weather here is so wacky.

I also agree about what a huge impact her threat in 6.01 had on him.   That is where eidetic memory is a curse, I suppose, but it also helps keep him well aware that he has to mind his p's and q's or he could lose her.  

I also agree that they are growing up together, but just because they grow up does not mean they will ever totally lose some of their innocence.   They are already in their 30's and have been child-like innocents for over 30 years.  That won't go away over night.   I love how they are taking the journey together and each bringing facets of themselves, yet integrating as one in a way.  They are very much "one" and unified, just like her helping him in the parking lot.  It was as natural as breathing to her.   Sigh, they really are a fun couple!  :wub:

As far as sitting in a table next to Jim and Todd, well I definitely would not be eating...I would be too busy taking in the view.  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:   They could be my desert!  :icon_wink::icon_lol:

You said it so wonderful, about their journey thogether, helping each other, they're  so unified in every thing they do, like one mind, one  soul and one heart, I hope that we will see their "one body" time and feelings. :icon_redface::icon_lol:

I like that thought that they are our desert... :icon_redface::icon_lol: It's the best desert of all because we can sate us with them, and we never gain weight

And  I'm so tired, so I'm off to bed now... Thank you for great time.. until tomorow. Good night  beautiful people  

Edited by silverangelD

I think he was staying in character in that blooper, but the thing about Jim is he is the first to laugh at himself.   People who can laugh at themselves don't get offended about much in life.  I think he takes it like a trooper.   I am sure he understands why the show does what they do, but I have never seen him as an outspoken gay activist type anyway.  So he probably laughs it off and while it may not be his favorite moments, I doubt he loses sleep over it either.  

I honestly believe humble people often laugh at themselves first and so it is easy for the to not be upset or hurt by others.  They don't take offense, but instead help others, through their soft humility learn.   Jim is one of those.  Through his soft humility he teaches others more about loving gay people and treating them equal than all the outspoken activists for gay rights put together.   Sometimes staying silent and true to who you are speaks louder than all the shouting of a crowd of people.  I feel the same about others who have moved a cause forward through their humility than those who have forced it through activism because activism sometimes is too vocal and too in your face that it can be off-putting to the cause they represent.   Jim does completely opposite, just lives his life humbly and quietly and yet somehow he accomplishes more because of it to help the gay movement.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

Tomorrow is Monday and my spring break is over.  :icon_cry:

We don't have a taping this week but there's a new episode Thursday to look forward to.  It sounds like a good one, too, with the gang teaming up to support Howard.  Sheldon hiding behind Amy promises to be cute, as does the "battery-powered hot dog". 

Tomorrow is Monday and my spring break is over.  :icon_cry:

We don't have a taping this week but there's a new episode Thursday to look forward to.  It sounds like a good one, too, with the gang teaming up to support Howard.  Sheldon hiding behind Amy promises to be cute, as does the "battery-powered hot dog". 

Yes I a excited about the new episode.  Wednesday night I will be going to my local theater to Paley Fest as well. I will post anything I learn from that as well.  :icon_mrgreen:   I wish there were a taping, but we will have to wait until the one on the 26th before we can get a report it seems since no one will be attending the one on the 19th. :icon_cry:   Bless Monique and Kellee for trying though. :icon_razz:

Yes I a excited about the new episode.  Wednesday night I will be going to my local theater to Paley Fest as well. I will post anything I learn from that as well.  :icon_mrgreen:   I wish there were a taping, but we will have to wait until the one on the 26th before we can get a report it seems since no one will be attending the one on the 19th. :icon_cry:   Bless Monique and Kellee for trying though. :icon_razz:

Maybe we'll learn something.  Either they'll get in by getting there early that day or we'll hear from somebody else who went.  The 26th they're taping a sweeps episode.  :)

Actually, I believe that strong off screen relationships can definitely help with on screen chemistry between actors. When you get to know people and become close, doing things with them that you wouldn't normally do with them become easier and less awkward. Not saying this is always the case though...just my theory.

• Like 4

Actually, I believe that strong off screen relationships can definitely help with on screen chemistry between actors. When you get to know people and become close, doing things with them that you wouldn't normally do with them become easier and less awkward. Not saying this is always the case though...just my theory.

I agree.  It tends to make it a lot easier when the trust is there because you have developed a good friendship and admiration for each other.  It makes it easier to do the more awkward or embarrassing scenes.  I remember Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds talking about how their close friendship made their nude scene so much easier for them because otherwise it would have been really awkward with a stranger that you barely knew and with whom you had not had a chance to build a trust.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to study what factors create chemistry between or among actors.  Since I'm in Ph.D. research mode, I'm thinking of possible ways to research it.  We'd have to find a bunch of cases and then ask audience members to rate the actors' chemistry to get an idea of when chemistry occurs.  Then we could do a qualitative analysis looking for patterns that emerge among the actors with the best chemistry.  Instead of starting with audience estimation of chemistry, we could find some well-known cases that most people agree did have it, like Tracy & Hepburn, Lucy & Desi, Will & Grace, Lucy & Ethel, Lemmon & Matthau.  This is way more fun to think about than my actual research.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to study what factors create chemistry between or among actors.  Since I'm in Ph.D. research mode, I'm thinking of possible ways to research it.  We'd have to find a bunch of cases and then ask audience members to rate the actors' chemistry to get an idea of when chemistry occurs.  Then we could do a qualitative analysis looking for patterns that emerge among the actors with the best chemistry.  Instead of starting with audience estimation of chemistry, we could find some well-known cases that most people agree did have it, like Tracy & Hepburn, Lucy & Desi, Will & Grace, Lucy & Ethel, Lemmon & Matthau.  This is way more fun to think about than my actual research.

Sometimes chemistry is created by people who loathe each other as well.  I have known some couplings that hated each other in real life yet made for some of the strongest onscreen lovers.  LOL!   But you are right, it would be an very interesting study and one that would be fun to do at the same time.

Jim and and mayim have known each for what maybe 2 and a bit years and they appear very close. I guess that some friendships you Just click and bond instantly and others take time before you can see it, after a while of not being able tp picture them kissing have been thinking about when/ if there will be kissing scenes I think it will be very sweetly done, they both said they enjoyed when they had to kiss on the show and that's probably due to chemistry and their closeness, I adore the way they talk about each other in separate interviews and I love all the pictures of them together and eye coitusing :)

Edited by rachygd
  • Like 4

While on-screen chemistry may be helped by off-screen closeness, I don't think it's a pre-requisite. Again, digging into my XF fan experience, :p allegedly the actors went through periods were they couldn't stand each other, yet M&S had sizzling chemistry all throughout the show. And just look at Kaley & Johnny, I think they have very good chemistry even though they must have gone through some rough patches when they broke up. 

Again, they're all actors, they're professionals, I'm sure they know how to immerse themselves in the characters and not let their stuff influence how they come across on screen. I actually think it'd be annoying for them to be typecast and limited to a certain type of work because of how people perceive them as real life people. Their job is to be someone else, after all. That's why I don't see a problem with whatever type of kissing scenes they might have between J&M. I think the writers will think of S&A when writing those scenes, and what suits them, not J&M. 

• Like 1

I just had a sudden realization. Amy joined the gang as Sheldon's friend. I just realized she might also be the first friend Sheldon ever made on his own. I mean, yes, there's Leonard but they became friends because of logistics, rather than bonding. I just thought it was interesting, because by now she's so integrated in the group that I forget she was there only as Sheldon's friend to start with.

eta: Oh, Chloe, you make the best gifs. The way he looks at her! Boy howdy, indeed.

tumblr_mjeirlbFoc1rn4qwao1_500.gif

Edited by koops
  • Like 5

I just had a sudden realization. Amy joined the gang as Sheldon's friend. I just realized she might also be the first friend Sheldon ever made on his own. I mean, yes, there's Leonard but they became friends because of logistics, rather than bonding. I just thought it was interesting, because by now she's so integrated in the group that I forget she was there only as Sheldon's friend to start with.

Yes, that is a good point.  For Sheldon to make the effort to seek out the company of someone is huge.  It was the first hint that she was important to him.  You're right that she started only as his friend.  Remember when the guys were hanging out at Penny's apt to avoid the Shamy?  Eventually she bonded with the girls, then Leonard, and at xmas this year, Raj.  We still haven't seen a definitive bonding moment between her and Howard, though his apology to Bernie in TSC was close.

Jim and and mayim have known each for what maybe 2 and a bit years and they appear very close. I guess that some friendships you Just click and bond instantly and others take time before you can see it, after a while of not being able tp picture them kissing have been thinking about when/ if there will be kissing scenes I think it will be very sweetly done, they both said they enjoyed when they had to kiss on the show and that's probably due to chemistry and their closeness, I adore the way they talk about each other in separate interviews and I love all the pictures of them together and eye coitusing :)

Yes I love it too, the way they look to one another, this chemistry between them is so sweet and strong. The way they talk about each other and pictures of them together. I think that it will help them create  sweet and very intimate moment when there will be kissing scene because like you said they both adore to play with each other.

• Like 1

have just got round to watching the interview he did with Jimmy Kimmel, was very amusing how he said "Mayim Bialik who plays my girlfriend on the show" thats the sort of thing i like hearing

its like when mayim said a few weeks ago in an interview that Jim was her work husband :)

• Like 1