The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

In that episode Sheldon was trying to do the bare minimum to keep Amy happy and nothing more...

And I think why he chose the Tiara was because of his ignorance of appropriate jewellery not because deep down he knew Amy would like it....which was clearly implied in the show

If he was ignorant and trying to do the bare minimum, he would have just gone with one of Penny's suggestions since he'd feel that she'd probably have more expertise in girly things like that. He also probably would have picked the cheapest option, and I don't think a Tiara is particularly cheap at all.

• Like 3

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

Are you watching a different show or are you deliberately thick?

He bought it because of ignorance and not because his girl would like it...you post alot of bullshit but this is the shittiest post of them all.

You need to get past ur issues with Amy and see what is right in front of your face. 

Also, the actors who have actual interactions with the writers know what the intention is/was than you and your obliviousness.

Man, people say Sheldon is oblivious but you take the cake with this nonsensical post.

I think 'thick' is a rather strong word to use, we just interpret things differently and we like the debate about our interpretations :)

• Like 1

I think 'thick' is a rather strong word to use, we just interpret things differently and we like the debate about our interpretations :)

Nope. He/She is thick...or even a stronger word may be necessary for the ratchetness of a post I just saw.

THICK! 

If he was ignorant and trying to do the bare minimum, he would have just gone with one of Penny's suggestions since he'd feel that she'd probably have more expertise in girly things like that. He also probably would have picked the cheapest option, and I don't think a Tiara is particularly cheap at all.

My point about him doing the bare minimum things was about him buying off Amy's hurt feelings rather than trying to change himself (like by apologizing)

Penny showed him the necklace or some girly jewellery first but he said that he did not like something about the  carbon atoms in that jewellery ( I don't remember properly)....so Tiara was an amusing choice...but nothing regarding the point that he understood Amy and that's why he bought the Tiara  was showed in the episode

He bought it because of ignorance and not because his girl would like it...you post alot of bullshit but this is the shittiest post of them all.

You need to get past ur issues with Amy and see what is right in front of your face. 

Also, the actors who have actual interactions with the writers know what the intention is/was than you and your obliviousness.

Man, people say Sheldon is oblivious but you take the cake with this nonsensical post.

Oh don't get your panties in a twist sweetheart....  this is just a TV show and Shamy are merely two fictional characters ....I hope you remember this ...otherwise your obsession would lead to disasters

Edited by vasu

My point about him doing the bare minimum things was about him buying Amy's feelings rather than changing himself (like by apologizing)

Penny showed him the necklace or some girly jewellery first but he said that he did not like something about the  carbon atoms in that jewellery ( I don't remember properly)....so Tiara was an amusing choice...but nothing regarding the point that he understood Amy and that's why he bought the Tiara  was showed in the episode

Oh don't get your panties in a twist sweetheart....  :icon_wink:  :icon_wink:

and if I had issues with Amy why would I talk down(or rather what happened in the show) what Sheldon did.... talk about shitty posts  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:

I am perfectly fine...but you do need to have something done because the shit you post is so ridiculous...you are wading in it thick dude. Get a shower or something...everything you say basically reeks...

Imma add u to my ignore list on here. 

Edited by Kiru Breezy

My point about him doing the bare minimum things was about him buying off Amy's hurt feelings rather than trying to change himself (like by apologizing)

But he did actually apologize to her and tell her he was proud of her before he gave her the Tiara, and it did sound pretty genuine. He even tried to smile properly, though obviously Amy saw right through it (another example of how well she knows about him and his 'Koala smile' :p). I do think that the Tiara had diamonds in it too, so it wasn't just because he disagreed with the carbon in the other jewellery.

Edited by Razberrypie
  • Like 1

But he did actually apologize to her and tell her he was proud of her before he gave her the Tiara, and it did sound pretty genuine. He even tried to smile properly, though obviously Amy saw right through it (another example of how well she knows about him and his 'Koala smile' :p). I do think that the Tiara had diamonds in it too, so it wasn't just because he disagreed with the carbon in the other jewellery.

Well , you're contradicting yourself...cause his Koala smile was an implication that what he had said was not genuine. ... "cause he would not be proud of her achieving something in the field of biology because that's all about yucky-squisy things" :p

Lol, I'm sorry if I have to resort to another one of my "The writers intended..." posts, but the whole discussion has now stemmed from Mayim's quote, which is specifically related to how they wanted her to play that scene (the quote comes from a post she wrote about the behind-the-scenes of the tiara scene). Which means that the writers did intend that scene to imply that Sheldon, clueless as he is, deep down understands her better than anyone else. It's like the Cooper Coupons thing: Penny was pissed he was trying to offer Amy coupons to apologize, but Amy being Amy (which also reads as Amy essentially being Sheldon) was excited about them. 

I think the point, in both scenes, is, again, that they're both so quirky they find romantic things that nobody ever would so even when they don't try consciously to make each other happy they do. Again, it's not about the whole episode. Or maybe it is. In the sense that the whole episode is about how Sheldon sucks as a boyfriend because he doesn't get what Amy really wants and doesn't understand her and right at the end he does something to make it up to her that totally swoons her without even trying, but simply by going along with being himself. 

Anyway, off to a NYE party now, have a good end of 2012 everyone! This year sucked, I can't wait for it to be over :D

Edited by spook
  • Like 4

The tiara scene...vasu...you should listen to the actors playing it.  Mayim is expressing exactly what was intended for the scene (what the writers and director intended...they do get instructed and learn at the table reading what is wanted for scenes. What was wanted for this scene...Sheldon knew Amy and knew what would be the one thing that would turn her back to getting him in her good graces.   Bottom line, Sheldon knew that Amy loved being a princess.  A tiara was clearly the thing that would do it.  But more important, he didn't buy a cheap one.  He bought one with real jewels in it.   He knew it had to be special, even if he was trying to minimize his purchase.   He cared more about getting Amy back than how much he spent.  He could have easily gone to a dollar store to buy a tiara...but he knew it had to truly be a real tiara, not a phony one.  

His reaction to the end, was more about Amy's pouncing on him.  I think he knew he would win her back, but he wasn't expecting quite that much enthusiasm.   Thus, the reason he made his comment...which was a bit rhetorical anyway because he really didn't mind.  He was actually happy she was happy and that he was the one that put the smile on her face.  

-------------------

About the earlier discussion about the couples on the show...I have to say I like all three of them.  I love Shamy first because they are a peculiar romance that works.  It is perfect for both of these characters.  I love Howard and Bernadette because they are again perfect for each other and I love them with Shamy as friends and as friends that fight. There is great chemistry between all four and between the two couples involved.  I like Leonard and Penny because they are conventional and because they really do care deeply for each other.   I think there is room to like all three and I do like all three.   However, that said, Shamy are my favorite couple of the show and Howard/Bernie are my next favorite.  

I see lots of chemistry between Sheldon and Amy, but what I also see is a relationship that can endure anything.  They have a deep connection with each other...based on respect, intellect, a good balance of common yet diverse interests, and attraction.   Even from the first day Sheldon met Amy, he was attracted to her.  I go back and look at those initial scenes and he can't take his eyes off of her once she opened her mouth and spoke.  He was immediately taken with her.   He became jealous very early in the relationship as well...long before they were supposedly boyfriend/girlfriend.   It is there, he just doesn't know what hit him...but he is starting to figure it out a little more this season (I believe...based on many of his comments).   I think they make a perfect couple (as much as one could be perfect in an imperfect world).

• Like 1

Yup, I totally agree.

The thing is though, that I think when "ruin a good thing" is being mentioned, with regards to the Shamy, people mostly mean Sheldon. Not because I don't think the Shamy is a good thing, quite the contrary. I'm worried about ruining them both, not just one. But most people are incredibly protective of Sheldon, rather than Amy, so that even a little deviation from the norm sets off their Sheldon-alarms. I agree they need to tone Sheldon up, but I am doubtful they will any time soon because they're afraid of the backlash they would get from the part of the audience that does not want Sheldon to change ever. Just as there is a part of the audience who is an Amy-hater precisely because she is changing Sheldon (although I don't think she's *changing* him per se, but that's for another discussion).

So if they don't tone him up, they need to tone her down a little to make it a little bit more believable that she's just going to wait 2+ more seasons. I hope they do tone him up, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think Stardust is perfectly right that they could/should do it so that the audience knows but Amy doesn't, in a similar way we know about his emotional growth but Amy doesn't really.

Very true. I would hope that they would be able to have Sheldon make progress in his relationship with Amy without completely changing who he is. So far though, I have no complaints.

Monique

• Like 2

I wish I had the same enthusiasm for this relationship as the other posters here. I reserved judgement in the beginning because I wanted to see how it worked out. But I just can't shake off the feeling that these two just don't work romantically. Leonard and Penny work, but Sheldon and Amy aren't right.

Leonard & Penny got old fast for me. *yawn* Hell, even Howard and Bernie are more fun to watch then those two for me.

Monique

• Like 1

Leonard & Penny got old fast for me. *yawn* Hell, even Howard and Bernie are more fun to watch then those two for me.

Monique

I think that is what is interesting.   They are so conventional that they are less interesting.   I agree, my order is Shamy, Howardette...then finally Lenny as far as interest level.  LOL!

The tiara scene...vasu...you should listen to the actors playing it.  Mayim is expressing exactly what was intended for the scene (what the writers and director intended...they do get instructed and learn at the table reading what is wanted for scenes. What was wanted for this scene...Sheldon knew Amy and knew what would be the one thing that would turn her back to getting him in her good graces.   Bottom line, Sheldon knew that Amy loved being a princess.  A tiara was clearly the thing that would do it.  But more important, he didn't buy a cheap one.  He bought one with real jewels in it.   He knew it had to be special, even if he was trying to minimize his purchase.   He cared more about getting Amy back than how much he spent.  He could have easily gone to a dollar store to buy a tiara...but he knew it had to truly be a real tiara, not a phony one.  

His reaction to the end, was more about Amy's pouncing on him.  I think he knew he would win her back, but he wasn't expecting quite that much enthusiasm.   Thus, the reason he made his comment...which was a bit rhetorical anyway because he really didn't mind.  He was actually happy she was happy and that he was the one that put the smile on her face. 

I think I am capable enough to understand what I see on-screen....I don't think I have to read what the writers were trying to intend through the episode in order to understand what happened in that episode.....

And the writers do every episode intending us to like those episodes...but many of us have our own likes and dislikes...so what they intended might some times transfer on-screen properly....some-times it might not...

the whole episode was about Sheldon not understanding Amy's feelings , cause everyone had to tell him that Amy was upset , and he had to buy her something in-order to please her ....he was just trying to get this situation done and dusted with......and Sheldon's ignorance for appropriate jewellery made the tiara an amusing choice...but not some-thing like his subconscious feelings...

Oh by the way "Happy New Year" guys  ....(here in India its already 2013) :) :)

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Well , you're contradicting yourself...cause his Koala smile was an implication that what he had said was not genuine. ... "cause he would not be proud of her achieving something in the field of biology because that's all about yucky-squisy things" :p

I agree with what everyone above has said, in reply to you Vasu, the tone of his voice heavily implied that he did regret what he had done because he hates seeing Amy hurt - so there was an element of genuineness there. Sheldon tends to struggle with the physical gesture of smiling, but it doesn't mean the intent behind the smile was fake. He just wanted her to know how sorry he was by putting in an effort.

Edited by Razberrypie

Sheldon tends to struggle with the physical gesture of smiling, but it doesn't mean the intent behind the smile was fake. 

Sheldon struggles with the physical gesture of smiling when he is trying to fake it. (season 2 episode - when he smiles for Raj or like in season 5 when his mother asks him to  bring hot-beverage with a smile). But he smiles genuinely when he is not faking it. (like when he sits in his spot in the howard - apology episode)

Edited by vasu

I think Kyxzz is going.....and as for Sheldon, he's just the same old Sheldon - just grown up....the writers are doing a fabulous job with such a difficult character

Bill/TPTB said this season "Sheldon is capable of things we haven't seen yet" and its all about the "irresistible force" (Amy) meeting the "immovable object" (Sheldon).

Sit back and enjoy the goodness...

Anywho, got to get ready...epic parties to be attended, lots of liquor to consume....confetti to be thrown and streamers to be blown...

Happy New Year!

Edited by Kiru Breezy
  • Like 1

I am glad vasu that you know more than writers and directors about the characters. I think you are being very presumptuous to assume you know more than they do since they create the show.  I respect you having an opinion, but to say you know more than what the people associated with the show know about it is naive on your part.   Mayim is bound to know a lot more than you know being she sits with the cast, producers, writers and directors each week as they has these out.  They know exactly what the character is thinking and their motivations.   So if you think you know more than them, great.  You are welcome to your opinion.   But again, you come across as naive if you really believe that.  

Now whether the acting portrayed it to your satisfaction to what they were trying to achieve is another thing.  You are welcome to opine on that. However, to belittle Mayim's comment and say you know what they are doing without listening to her comment is a cheap-shot.   It is as if you are totally disrespecting her as a gifted and well respected talent, as well as an extremely intelligent woman.   For that, I too take offense.   Since she basically told you that Sheldon knew Amy...you should listen instead of act as if you know more than her. Or perhaps that is the point..maybe you are just against women having knowledge of anything.

• Like 2

Sheldon struggles with the physical gesture of smiling when he is trying to fake it. (season 2 episode - when he smiles for Raj or like in season 5 when his mother asks him to  bring hot-beverage with a smile). But he smiles genuinely when he is not faking it. (like when he sits in his spot in the howard - apology episode)

I agree with you that he didn't mean anything positive by the smile he gave Raj, but I think the one he gave Amy was different, he had positive intentions but struggled to show them. It's clear, however, that we merely have a different interpretation of this scene, so I think we'll struggle to change each other's minds! xD

I don't think there is any excuse for this kind of unpleasant dialogue. Vasu has her opinions you have yours and surely you are able to express them without insulting anyone or using foul language. It's a form of bullying that ironically goes right against what the show is all about: vive la difference!

meaning respect differences. Vasu and I have an amusing bet as to whether L/P will break up; it's all in good fun. I just may lose; so what.... Do keep your perspective. Amy and Sheldon are not real; they're tv characters.

I don't think there is any excuse for this kind of unpleasant dialogue. Vasu has her opinions you have yours and surely you are able to express them without insulting anyone or using foul language. It's a form of bullying that ironically goes right against what the show is all about: vive la difference!

meaning respect differences. Vasu and I have an amusing bet as to whether L/P will break up; it's all in good fun. I just may lose; so what.... Do keep your perspective. Amy and Sheldon are not real; they're tv characters.

Aw dammit he got there before me! Can I place a bet with you about the breakup of S/A? ;D if that's what you're predicting that is :p

• Like 1

Aw dammit he got there before me! Can I place a bet with you about the breakup of S/A? ;D if that's what you're predicting that is :p

Vasu is a she. I would have taken a signature bet on a S/A break-up a month ago before 2 1/2 Men had problems  but with Molaro's quote it's obviously too late;-) Though he's being quite ambiguous so I don't think there is any reciprocal romance around the corner for them. I do hope they develop Amy's character this spring, have her interact with others...

I've run out likes because I agree so much with what Spook, Razberry and some others said (some of the posts were beautiful).

Especially this:

I think the point, in both scenes, is, again, that they're both so quirky they find romantic things that nobody ever would so even when they don't try consciously to make each other happy they do. Again, it's not about the whole episode. Or maybe it is. In the sense that the whole episode is about how Sheldon sucks as a boyfriend because he doesn't get what Amy really wants and doesn't understand her and right at the end he does something to make it up to her that totally swoons her without even trying, but simply by going along with being himself.

I think that's the point. It wasn't implied that Sheldon consciously went, 'oh, Amy would like to think of herself as a princess, so let me get her a tiara'. But the implication was clear to me - even before Mayim said it - that Sheldon got the tiara, against Penny's advice, because he instinctively knew that is what would make her happy, that it was their kind of thing. It was meant to be another symbol of the deep inner connection they have, because their minds work in the same way.

and Sheldon's ignorance for appropriate jewellery made the tiara an amusing choice...but not some-thing like his subconscious feelings...

Yes, it was amusing and eccentric; and it was Sheldon's choice. He picked it because he liked it and just felt this is what he had to give her, in the same way as he picked the pocket watch (another amusing and eccentric item) for himself. And she loved his choice. This wasn't about Sheldon's unconscious feelings for her, but about the unconscious identification between the two of them. Something inside him knew what something inside her needed.

• Like 1