The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I wish they could do something different with these two to move them along (or not, as the case may be). You have the ultimate science power couple here! So much potential! And instead of them picking each other's brains, we're getting lost in a game of push-and-pull over physical intimacy and affection? 

How can he not be totally and hopelessly head over heels in this after that selfless V-day gift? They are so careful to re-write the V-day ep 15 times to make sure they don't go too far too soon, but they definitely do not seem nearly as careful in re-writing his hurtful lines to make sure he doesn't use her like a punchline bag. If you're so careful with this relationship, you should be careful on both sides of the argument, not just on holding them back from intimacy. And after all this, and a possibly even worse line next episode ("getting married and starting a family" vs. Date Night being tedious: more smitten Amy vs. jerk Sheldon - 3 out of 3 episodes in a row), we get another episode where Amy helps him with something. What is this woman? Not even a saint would do this. 

There must be an explanation for all this.

Right?

Yes, they could be doing so much more with them.  I agree that they have to be careful on both sides of the relationship, as well as show that, although Amy may be a bit ahead of Sheldon regarding intimacy, they don't really have an issue there long-term.   That they will get there.   But they are confusing the audience right now and making it very unclear whether they will get there and will Amy just be a frustrated woman in a "relationship of the mind" only?   That isn't terribly satisfying.   It would have been had she not cared about intimacy.  But they had her care about it so now it becomes frustrating to see her not getting any satisfaction week after week.  

The statement from Chuck I liked best was he talked about them "growing together", but right now it doesn't feel that way.   It feels like Sheldon is regressing.  

I hope you are right and that this is leading somewhere, but do have to wonder if your earlier statement about further seasons is what is playing into all of this.  I hope not because they could have easily slowed them down in a much more satisfying way than the way they are going about it.   I hope that things will truly start to turn around in the next few episodes and that this was an anomaly.

I realize after reading many of your posts that I'm not so far deep into this as I thought. LOL. All the negative things you saw, such as Amy not helping Sheldon with organizing closet, I couldn't care less because lets face it, the writers aren't always going to give us what we want. Also, if they DID have her help Sheldon with the closet organzing, what would we complain about next? How come they didn't have a sweet moment and then kiss? I know how our (me included) minds operate. There's so much we want to see with the Shamy. Hell, if it were up me, I'd have Sheldon comfortable enough to kiss Amy more often and able to sleep in the same bed with her! LOL. It's nothing new to us that the writers are moving this relationship at a very slow pace so why continue getting ourselves worked up over things we'll never be able to control?

This episode is about Howard and if we look at it from that perspective instead of what the episode lacked for the Shamy, maybe we wouldn't be so gloomy about it. I enjoyed the episode. The scene where Howard stood before all his friends and they each gave him a possible message from his father was touching. I especially thought it was cute when he said he liked ALL of the messages which meant that he appreciated Sheldon's goofy way of trying to help as well.

TPTB are aware of how SPECIAL the Shamy is to so many people so we have to have faith that they will continue to do the right thing with them. I know it totally sucks (I'm so Californian. LOL) having to wait but our time will come :) <3

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 5

Monique, you are right, this episode was mainly about Howard and I admit that I thoroughly enjoyed and even cried over the tender parts related to his storyline.  I think we are just put out by Sheldon's behavior and regression.   It is the writers' story to tell, not ours, but I think the problem is the set a lot of expectation in 6.14-6.16 and even starting as far back as 6.01 with the Spiderman speech and have been building up to 6.16 toward something and then the episodes since seemed to have wiped out what they did up to then.   It is confusing the audience is really what we are trying to say.   Does that mean I didn't enjoy the episode?  Absolutely not.  I really loved that Howard had such a great storyline and it was so poignant.

• Like 1

I realize after reading many of your posts that I'm not so far deep into this as I thought. LOL. All the negative things you saw, such as Amy not helping Sheldon with organizing closet, I couldn't care less because lets face it, the writers aren't always going to give us what we want. Also, if they DID have her help Sheldon with the closet organzing, what would we complain about next? How come they didn't have a sweet moment and then kiss? I know how our (me included) operate. There's so much we want to see with the Shamy. Hell, if it were up me, I'd have Sheldon comfortable enough to kiss Amy more often and able to sleep in the same bed with her! LOL. It's nothing new to us that the writers are moving this relationship at a very slow pace so why continue getting ourselves worked up over things we'll never be able to control?

This episode is about Howard and if we look at it from that perspective instead of what the episode lacked for the Shamy, maybe we wouldn't be so gloomy about it. I enjoyed the episode. The scene where Howard stood before all his friends and they each gave him a possible message from his father was touching. I especially thought it was cute when he said he liked ALL of the messages which meant that he appreciated Sheldon's goofy way of trying to help as well.

TPTB are aware of how SPECIAL the Shamy is to so many people so we have to have faith that they will continue to do the right thing with them. I know it totally sucks (I'm so Californian. LOL) having to wait but our time will come :) <3

My example about Amy helping Sheldon with the closet wasn't meant as in.. I literally wanted that to happen. I was merely using it to make an example to say that I see Amy and Sheldon as being on two very far planes right now in this relationship: they are not shown to enjoy the same things, they are not shown to want the same things, there is none of that intellectual bickering that there used to be. I'm not saying I want specific scenes to happen, I was just making an example. 

They want to drag it out? Fine. But does it need to be done through Sheldon being a jerk? Every time it happens we say "Oh, it's a throw away line". Then it happens again and we're like "... Throw away line.". Then it happens again and we're like ".... that's another throw away line". At some point you start wondering. Throw away line? Or not? 

You get an ep like 6x14 where you think it all makes sense and then we're back at square one again. It seems to me like sweeps Shamy and non-sweeps Shamy are two completely different couples. 

I'm just fed up with the negative behavior. I can wait forever for more intimate moments. But I'm just fed up with the negative behavior.

I'm not dismissing the rest of the episode, I've made my points in the episode thread about that. I found it touching and I think Simon should finally get an Emmy nod. But Sheldon to me was annoying beyond the Shamy tonight (and that's another story). But since it's the Shamy thread, I talk Shamy in here. The ep itself was good :)

• Like 1

Sing soulfully to us. 

LOL!!  Trust me, you do NOT want to hear me sing.  :)

I won't try to convince you guys that it'll be OK.  However, my take on the line that's the most troublesome is that Sheldon fancies himself as a "pretty boy" who is so irresistible his girlfriend can't keep her hands off him.  To him, hand-holding is a huge deal.  I see it as classic Sheldon ego, saying something off-the-cuff that he doesn't really mean.

• Like 1

You've all verbalized my thoughts better than I can do.  Sheldon's attitude pulled my attention out of the poignancy of the Howard story, and not in a funny lighten-the-moment way, but rather in an irritating, shut-up-Sheldon way.  THAT is what struck the sour note for me.  Also, I miss the "Amy and Sheldon against the World" pairing.  I understand that people aren't static, and they want to show Amy progressing more quickly through delayed adolescence than Sheldon, but he is forward and backward.  The "five more minutes" gets a laugh from the audience, but this is a man that was savvy enough to use blackmail against Priya to force Leonard to sign a new room mate agreement in "The Agreement Dissection."  He needn't resort to begging to get his way.

So I go back to thinking perhaps he doth protest too much.  He complains about Amy pawing at him much like a young boy might complain about a girl chasing after him, when in reality he likes it.  

• Like 2

@Monique, I get what your saying and yes the episode was about Howard.  I expressed my view on the episode in the other thread and share the sentiment with others that Simon get a emmy nod.

I guess my confusion comes from that comment being particularly mean.  Sheldon is smart and could have used any number of examples in how made up his obligation closet organizer.  However, he used an example about the one touching thing that A/S has participated in as an example.  Amy is well aware how he feels about it, but I'm sure she was happy that Sheldon was participating anyway. 

The writers are fully aware of what they have in the shamy...so Sheldon's behavior would make sense if the writers were creating "turbulence" that would lead to a beak up.  That would make sense to me.  I just don't want to see another episode where everything is ok with them, or even seeing a kiss without Sheldon's recent behavior being explained.  Otherwise it just lends credence to the talk that Amy waits around for any tidbits of affection that Sheldon throws her way.  Someone on another board mentioned that there needs to be a balance of power in this relationship and I kind of agree with that.

Anyway,  at the end of the day the writers will do what the want.

Edited by ShamyFTW
  • Like 1

Hi fellow Sharmys,

just watched the episode and really liked it, from the point of view that it is a Howard centered episode.

Regarding our Shamy, I meanwhile think Sheldon needs a great kick in his nerd-butt. Although it seems (to us, not Amy) he is really trying to make progress, at some point he must involve Amy in this. More than just giving her a EC document. I have the impression he is feeling way to secure about her these days. No challenge for him regarding the unphysical contact to her and being her boyfriend. She is to understanding and nice to him. Although, and that is what I got out of the last episode, she is getting a bit pissed with his quirks. I think you really could see that in her reaction on the human shield. It was like "c'mon, get off of me". She looked quite annoyed.

I was asking myself if they are heading towards a "sort of break up situtation" by Amy just finally loosing her patience. TBH, Sheldon was very annoying in the episode and it was really a back-development. We had the S1-3 Shelly back.

Sheldon needs to wake up at some point.......  

But maybe I am wrong and this was just a episode with no Shamy meaning at all. And next taping everything again is happily ever after.

About Paley:

I am totally overwhelmed by the interview. And I think it is very interesting how the acters where positioned in the row. So we had the Shamy/Majim totally centered. And I really loved the Puppy-Teenager-Oggling&Touching-Thingi going on with those two. Very sweet. A bit over the top maybe, but sooooo cute.  :wub:

• Like 1

As for Sheldon being mean....I don't have an answer as to why the writers make him that way at the oddest moments. Perhaps there's a reason for it.

It feels like him falling back in old behaviours. Maybe a sort of comfort zone for him?

• Like 1

Perhaps it's to show that there's a part of Sheldon that will never change. He'll always have a bratty little boy side to him.

I am fine with that, as long it does not get to mean and ignorant. 

Remember the stag party for Howard? Sheldon was drunk, but I HATED him in that episode. He was really saying nasty stuff. 

In the Disney-Land episode again, he was acting like a child, but very cute and loveable. 

Maybe they are trying to piss us off and keep our expectations low and then will give as a BIG BANG in the sweeps. 

• Like 1

But why does he always have to say the nastiest stuff to the one person that is going to hurt the most? And the one person that is bending over backwards to accommodate all his needs? Can't they show his bratty side in other ways? Or with other people? It's just unpleasant to watch, imo. What a way to show he's "quite fond" of her. 

eta: I'm feeling lonely in the chat, come join me! 

Edited by koops

Bottom line they set the stage in 6.01.  Sheldon said himself he wanted to become the man he wants to be for Amy.   So when they bring him back to Season 2 Sheldon being a brat toddler throwing a tantrum, selfish and downright mean and hurtful, it no longer is someone you want to see Amy with.   That is a dangerous game for them to play.   They can keep the essence of who Sheldon is (clueless, maybe even a bit blunt at times, into his games, into his superheros, into science) without having him be a brat and act mean and cruel to people.  He has learned a lot more about social interactions that he had to know he was being mean.  There is no way they can explain that away and it be satisfactory.   At this point in time, he has taken Amy for granted.  He assumes he is just such a great catch and she is willing let him drive the ship so he just skates on by and does what he wants.  They had better change something quick because that is not a very healthy relationship.   Amy is going to have to stand up to him, possibly even ask for a suspension in their relationship agreement or something that will shake him up and shake him up enough to not take her for granted any longer.  I don't mean scare him to do things he doesn't want to do, but he truly needs to realize that she is a lovely person and there are plenty of others who would love to date her and would not take advantage of her like he does.   He needs to appreciate her a lot more.   It was such a contrast last week to this week.  Last week we saw a man get up in front of middle school aged females and act adult and mature.   This week we saw the toddler back who lashes out and says hurtful things.   Very uncool, especially given how Amy had just beamed about him in front of the gang.   She was just saying how his quirks make you love him more (admitting very clearly how she feels about him).   And then, he goes and treats her so poorly and rudely?   It was painful to watch.  

Next time that boy needed comfort or a hand hold, I would be, sorry, you said yourself that I paw you too much so you are on your own this time, then turn and give him the cold shoulder.   He deserves it! :icon_lol: 

But why does he always have to say the nastiest stuff to the one person that is going to hurt the most? And the one person that is bending over backwards to accommodate all his needs? Can't they show his bratty side in other ways? Or with other people? It's just unpleasant to watch, imo. What a way to show he's "quite fond" of her.

eta: I'm feeling lonely in the chat, come join me!

Yup. Be bratty & nasty. But not to Amy.