The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I agree about whiny Sheldon.  That was annoying.  It seems the writers copped out with the easy joke rather than trying to do something meaningful.

This. We all know Sheldon's tendency to be oblivious and rude, and that's fine - it's part of who he is and and it's why he's funny. I was annoyed with this in the Closet episode because it seemed like lazy writing.  We need to throw in some funny during this fairly serious storyline, so we'll just have Sheldon be an ass.  I guess it's not really out of character but it rubbed me the wrong way. The human shield bit was particularly ridiculous.

Eh, maybe it was just me.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is he knows it well from growing up in a house with Mary Cooper. :icon_lol::)

:icon_mrgreen: Yeah probaly he knows it :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:  maybe he should give it some thought, and Mary should do the same trick as when he bought 25 cats and suggests that there is some fragment talkig about feelings,  but he certainly  did not understand it, and surely it  will do not reach  to him, and  she could use her's reverse psychology like: he thinks he is so smart, but  he is like all other men, you could tell them not to do something, and this is exactly what they will do, to prove they can. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ;)

Edited by silverangelD

Thanks for the gifs! I'm going to fangirl unashamedly here and say OMG OMG they're so adorable. The way he leans in and the way he looks at her and smiles at her, and how sophisticated she looks, and the connection between them.. it's really as if the two of them are a world unto themselves. :wub:

Now we really need ALL this chemistry to show up on-screen between the Shamy. Some day.

Thanks for the gifs! I'm going to fangirl unashamedly here and say OMG OMG they're so adorable. The way he leans in and the way he looks at her and smiles at her, and how sophisticated she looks, and the connection between them.. it's really as if the two of them are a world unto themselves. :wub:

Now we really need ALL this chemistry to show up on-screen between the Shamy. Some day.

You know I thought the same way, that if they are so beautiful together and so adorable and sweet that it will be easy to them to show all this chemistry between Sheldon and Amy. And I'm a fangirl to :wub: :wub: :wub:

Am gushing at the loveliness of the majim, you can see how much they like each other and how they get each other :)

Look how  he looks at her, when she comes to sit down. He smiles to her but it isn't just simple smile. He's happy that he sees her. And all the time he's so close to her, his body language said that he enjoys her closeness, and he feels good to be so close to her. His body is  turned to her and opened for her. He's  tilted to her side. They often peeks at each other, and with a slightly smile and  there are so many accidental touch, casually. I just love them...both :icon_redface:

I wasn't bothered by whiny Sheldon in the closet ("Five more minutes!" "How come I never get to do anything I want!") because that, to me, really is old-school Sheldon and that aspect of his personality isn't going to change just because he has a girlfriend. And it served the episode well, both to move the story along and to be funny.

The conversation in the laundry room didn't really bother me either.

First off, he's responding to Amy pointing out the flaw in his argument, that there's no such thing as organizer confidentiality, so, of course, he has to counter that, and the first thing that comes to mind is holding hands. His tone didn't strike me as being all that abrasive or mean, just slightly exasperated at having a hole poked in his argument.

I don't think that this one episode means that they're doomed to be some bickering couple. We know that in the next episode they're interacting in a more normal way. And then Amy is helping him to let go of some of his compulsiveness. Maybe something of this episode will resonate later.

I wasn't bothered by whiny Sheldon in the closet ("Five more minutes!" "How come I never get to do anything I want!") because that, to me, really is old-school Sheldon and that aspect of his personality isn't going to change just because he has a girlfriend. And it served the episode well, both to move the story along and to be funny.

The conversation in the laundry room didn't really bother me either.

First off, he's responding to Amy pointing out the flaw in his argument, that there's no such thing as organizer confidentiality, so, of course, he has to counter that, and the first thing that comes to mind is holding hands. His tone didn't strike me as being all that abrasive or mean, just slightly exasperated at having a hole poked in his argument.

I don't think that this one episode means that they're doomed to be some bickering couple. We know that in the next episode they're interacting in a more normal way. And then Amy is helping him to let go of some of his compulsiveness. Maybe something of this episode will resonate later.

I've never liked child-Sheldon, regardless of whether it has to do with Amy or not. Is one of the facets of his character that I find a bit obnoxious. I don't mind the childlike side to Sheldon, I like that. But when it is really obvious that they are doing the child thing I just don't find it funny: like this one, the Disneyland trip, and when Penny and Leonard fight and he runs off to the comic book store. It's just a bit too absurd for a grown man. But that's just me. 

Re: the hand-holding line, again. It's not the fact that he brought up the handholding, because, like you say, it made sense to counteract her point. And if they had left it at that it would have actually been something GOOD for Shamy, because it means they're doing it. It's the line that followed that about "pawing at him" and the way it was delivered that, imo, was totally unnecessary and nasty. 

Okay. After watching the episode and reading the posts here, I'll try to figure out and understand what's been happening in Sheldon's mind in the past few episodes. I agree, as many have said, that the most possible reason for his off-putting line about Amy pawing him was supposedly meant to be light-hearted and for the sake of humor/ underlining the behaviour of the old Sheldon and by no means of being an important line about their relationship. He said it really mean way and there is no way to excuse that. But, if I try to understand it from to point of consistency, here's what I thought Sheldon is now going through and could help us somehow to understand his current behaviour better.

I kind of see Sheldon going through the biggest transformation of his life (regarding his identity as a man he used to be versus the man he wants to be with Amy), since the time he started to be conscious of life on the whole, from his very childhood. I can see that he is struggling a lot with his metamorphosis - like the start of the progression and growth to the new things in his life has already taken place, but about now he is feeling the pain of the progression in his heart, like the caterpillar doesn't transmute to a butterfly at once. We do know that Sheldon doesn't want to show his emotions and feelings to others clearly, instead he tries to suppress and hide them. It feels to me, that now he is on the edge of the metamorphosis, the point there is no turning back - and he is having a great struggle with that.  He is fighting with the things in his past - he is kind of creating a new identity, consciously or unconsciously, and it's hurting  him. That is a bit  similar kind of thing that happens in teenage, but in his case of course, this comes late and involves other things too. He is trying to reconstitute (unconsciously, consciously or both) his self-image and identity (especially when it comes to him in romance, love and sex), which he created a long time ago on a certain basis and that internal battle is sometimes really hard to handle. We know he doesn't have a great feeling of security on the basis of his personality, instead of that there is much fear. When in such circumstances, sometimes people say and talk things they don't mean to, because going through a metamorphosis is painful. Those long time ago built self image and identity are the hardest things to change. And I mean espeacially his self image about him in a romantic relationship. He has hard time to admit himself he has been wrong all the time when it comes to a romantic and physical relationship and love. He never imagined himself into such situation. (So he is kind of fighting against love, because it hurts him so much.)
With his last strengt, he tries to stick with what is familiar to him (his behaviour in the past, his former self-image and identity) and find comfort and feel of security of those things, and what comes out of that is such behaviour. The new things scary him, the metamorphosis scares him, the new way of thinking about himself as a part of a romantic (and sexual) relationship scares him much. The inward struggle is the struggle of his mind and will - he has to decide, what he wants more - stay the way he has always been in the past and feel secure, or face the unknown and scary (of romance and relationship), and to grow up in many levels in his life, emotional, physical, etc. Like I said earlier, he doesn't understand or see the results of his struggle yet, he is like in the darkness when it comes to the destination of his struggle. He will be flabbergasted by the time he understads, he has been fearing for nothing and that Amy's love, in all its entity and levels, is the greatest gift of his life.

Okay. After watching the episode and reading the posts here, I'll try to figure out and understand what's been happening in Sheldon's mind in the past few episodes. I agree, as many have said, that the most possible reason for his off-putting line about Amy pawing him was supposedly meant to be light-hearted and for the sake of humor/ underlining the behaviour of the old Sheldon and by no means of being an important line about their relationship. He said it really mean way and there is no way to excuse that. But, if I try to understand it from to point of consistency, here's what I thought Sheldon is now going through and could help us somehow to understand his current behaviour better.

I kind of see Sheldon going through the biggest transformation of his life (regarding his identity as a man he used to be versus the man he wants to be with Amy), since the time he started to be conscious of life on the whole, from his very childhood. I can see that he is struggling a lot with his metamorphosis - like the start of the progression and growth to the new things in his life has already taken place, but about now he is feeling the pain of the progression in his heart, like the caterpillar doesn't transmute to a butterfly at once. We do know that Sheldon doesn't want to show his emotions and feelings to others clearly, instead he tries to suppress and hide them. It feels to me, that now he is on the edge of the metamorphosis, the point there is no turning back - and he is having a great struggle with that.  He is fighting with the things in his past - he is kind of creating a new identity, consciously or unconsciously, and it's hurting  him. That is a bit  similar kind of thing that happens in teenage, but in his case of course, this comes late and involves other things too. He is trying to reconstitute (unconsciously, consciously or both) his self-image and identity (especially when it comes to him in romance, love and sex), which he created a long time ago on a certain basis and that internal battle is sometimes really hard to handle. We know he doesn't have a great feeling of security on the basis of his personality, instead of that there is much fear. When in such circumstances, sometimes people say and talk things they don't mean to, because going through a metamorphosis is painful. Those long time ago built self image and identity are the hardest things to change. And I mean espeacially his self image about him in a romantic relationship. He has hard time to admit himself he has been wrong all the time when it comes to a romantic and physical relationship and love. He never imagined himself into such situation. (So he is kind of fighting against love, because it hurts him so much.)

With his last strengt, he tries to stick with what is familiar to him (his behaviour in the past, his former self-image and identity) and find comfort and feel of security of those things, and what comes out of that is such behaviour. The new things scary him, the metamorphosis scares him, the new way of thinking about himself as a part of a romantic (and sexual) relationship scares him much. The inward struggle is the struggle of his mind and will - he has to decide, what he wants more - stay the way he has always been in the past and feel secure, or face the unknown and scary (of romance and relationship), and to grow up in many levels in his life, emotional, physical, etc. Like I said earlier, he doesn't understand or see the results of his struggle yet, he is like in the darkness when it comes to the destination of his struggle. He will be flabbergasted by the time he understads, he has been fearing for nothing and that Amy's love, in all its entity and levels, is the greatest gift of his life.

So much bawling. lol.

I'd love if we got a glimpse that this is what's really going on. The only thing I can't quite reconcile it with is the calm and maturity he had in 6x14 and 6x15 when he talked to Penny and Leonard. On one hand you have a guy who is very aware of what's going on and seems to have it all under control, on the other hand you have a guy who is apparently terrified and struggling with his metamorphosis. I'd have to guess the two show up depending on whether he has to directly face Amy or not. 

I said something similar in my long post yesterday, you really read my mind. I agree with, you  completely :)

I still think it be wonderful if something happened to Amy that made Sheldon realize what it be like if he no longer had her in his life and forced him to face the horror of it and realize he wants nothing more than chance to have her back in his life again or the chance to hold her hand again.  

Edited by Superlovelexi