The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Love Spell Potential Pictures (Just ones with Shamy in them)  

Before we bid adieu to this thread, I think we should take a moment to just gaze at how big this thread is. There are more posts in this thread than there are in Seasons 1-5 boards combined. This thre

I am dying here. What I would not give for a bone saw so I could cut your skulls open and get a good gander at how your brains work!   Only in Shamy shipper land could "Leonard gets a job offer over

Posted Images

As much as I would love to see the romantic scenario, I don't think he's there yet.  The first kiss he plants on her might have to be unplanned, like in a rush of emotion (think Nimoy napkin or tiara).  It would also make sense for his mother to orchestrate it somehow.  Personally, I would be just as happy with a genuine Sheldon-initiated hug or a platonic night spent together.

• Like 4

As much as I would love to see the romantic scenario, I don't think he's there yet.  The first kiss he plants on her might have to be unplanned, like in a rush of emotion (think Nimoy napkin or tiara).  It would also make sense for his mother to orchestrate it somehow.  Personally, I would be just as happy with a genuine Sheldon-initiated hug or a platonic night spent together.

Definately, Sheldon and Amy haven't spent so much platonic time together this season. I know the writers are trying to bring back some elements from season 1-3 but I hope they don't forget those adorable season 4 shamy moments too :p

It's not that Sheldon does things because HE KNOWS Amy will like them, he does things his own way and Amy likes them because she is so much like him.

Well , this is what I was implying in the post which you quoted

In any case, I agree with stardustmelody, the WRITERS wanted to convey that message with that scene so that's what the scene means. Whether they have acted it to your satisfaction or set it up in a way that successfully conveys their point is another story. But that was the intent of the scene, and that was what they had in mind when they wrote it. It's one of the rare times we actually have inside info on how we are meant to interpret the scene. I don't know how you can just disregard that. If the people who MAKE the show tell you what was implied with that scene, I don't know how you can say "it was clearly implied that it was fake and there is nothing left to interpret beyond that".

I am not able to understand which one are you agreeing with - Sheldon did those things because he liked them or Sheldon did those things because he understood Amy very deeply

In the bolded part  - I was referring to the apology 

Yes, Sheldon did not understand her for most of the episode, but I think the point of the episode was precisely to show how he would deal with the very beginning of a romantic relationship. They had been together officially for two episodes at that stage. He had no clue what being a boyfriend might entail. Also, if you look at the moment where she takes the bag with the gift, he is genuinely nervous. The apology wasn't fake or he wouldn't have bothered to apologize in the first place. He acted out the words he used and the smile because he does not know how to do it, and he doesn't like to apologize, he might not have understood why she was upset, he might have tried to get away with as little effort as possible, but he still genuinely wanted to make it right. It's actually a very basic storytelling ploy: the guy acts like he doesn't want to care but deep down he does. I think you are taking Sheldon's action a bit too literally. They write him that way because he is Sheldon and that makes him funny, but there's more to it than what you see on the surface.

I never said Sheldon did not care about Amy . If he had not cared about Amy then he would have her the same treatment he gave to Ramona or the "Pudy human" girl long time ago.  He cares for her , and that is the why he asked her to be his girlfriend and gave her the tiara.

As for this season, I agree with you that they're showing them at odds more than in the past, but I think that's partly to do with the fact that the writers are not bothering paying much attention to Amy right now so her continuity is totally all over the place. And most of the things they're at odds with has to do with this sexual-Amy! vs oblivious!Sheldon thing they're playing with right now. A lot of the examples you make have either to do with sexual things, with throw-away comments, or with very superficial things: liking or disliking a movie or a costume isn't really much of a sign of being in sync with another person. The only thing out of the ones you listed that is significant (but again, in terms of writing, I think it has to do with poor continuity and writing choices for that ep) is the boys vs girls games night thing. We've had 2 whole seasons to show how similar they are, 10 episodes where most of their differences are about sex (as is to be expected when dealing with Sheldon) are not going to change who they are. They are not carbon copies of each other, they haven't been since mid S4. Of course there are going to be differences. 

Well , if you feel something like poor continuity and writing choices for an episode -- it means you might not have got what the writers were trying to imply... just like how I did not get the impression that Sheldon understood Amy in that episode

And does this difference also come under sexual category??

Amy: So, listen, Sheldon, I was thinking, since this is gonna be our first Halloween party as boyfriend and girlfriend, I thought it might be fun for us to go in a couples costume.

Sheldon: I couldn’t agree more.
Amy: Really? I find that inconsistent with everything I know about you.
Sheldon: Oh, oh, on the contrary. Couples costumes are one of the few benefits of being in a relationship. Now imagine this, you and I entering Stuart’s party and all eyes turn to see America’s most beloved and glamorous couple.

And I think in season 5 itself they showed many differences between Sheldon and Amy and the most important contrast being Amy desperation to be accepted and loved by her social group... Sheldon sees his isolation as superiority , where as Amy clearly knows about the sadness that isolation can have

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Well , this is what I was implying in the post which you quoted
I am not able to understand which one are you agreeing with - Sheldon did those things because he liked them or Sheldon did those things because he understood Amy very deeply

What I'm saying is that the two are not mutually exclusive. He has to apologize for his behavior, he does it his own way, disregarding Penny's advice. There must have been some sort of instinct that told him to buy the tiara, as unusual a gift as it is, because that's how his mind works. In the process it just so happens he "gets" Amy, because she is so similar to him, despite their differences, that sometimes he doesn't even need to try anything beyond being himself. He understands himself and, in the process, he understands her too, whether he is aware of it or not. Of course there are areas where they are not on the same wavelength, but there are many areas where they are. 

Well , if you feel something like poor continuity and writing choices for an episode -- it means you might not have got what the writers were trying to imply... just like how I did not get the impression that Sheldon understood Amy in that episode

No, what I mean by lack of continuity in the writing is when they say one thing in one ep and then do the opposite in another. In this case, Amy and Sheldon inventing Counterfactuals where nobody understands what the hell is going on but the two of them, and then have an episode where she doesn't get his Pictionary cues. And by poor writing choices I mean that that episode would have been much more interesting if they had done Lenny vs Shamy, like you suggested earlier, but they went for the predictable "Sheldon-is-weird-nobody-gets-him" kind of laughs which required the lack of continuity regarding the above for it to work.

And does this difference also come under sexual category??

That's not a difference, that is just Amy being surprised by Sheldon's willingness to go in a couple costume. The difference was later about what they interpreted as a "couples costume". And that totally fits with the whole idea that the one area where Sheldon and Amy are unbalanced is sex and romance: she had stereotypical romantic girly couples in mind, he had duos in mind, not couples. Because his mind doesn't quite grasp the concept of romance yet. So in a sense, yes, it does come under sexuality/romance.

And I think in season 5 itself they showed many differences between Sheldon and Amy and the most important contrast being Amy desperation to be accepted and loved by her social group... Sheldon sees his isolation as superiority , where as Amy clearly knows about the sadness that isolation can have

Totally. As I said, they're not carbon copies of each other, and I like that. If they had no differences whatsoever their relationship would be stagnating and there would be no stories to tell. And I like it that Amy has become her own character and that the writers are trying to show the flip side of the coin of someone missing out on childhood/adolescence. But they're still the same coin, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

What I'm saying is that the two are not mutually exclusive. He has to apologize for his behavior, he does it his own way, disregarding Penny's advice. There must have been some sort of instinct that told him to buy the tiara, as unusual a gift as it is, because that's how his mind works. In the process it just so happens he "gets" Amy, because she is so similar to him, despite their differences, that sometimes he doesn't even need to try anything beyond being himself. He understands himself and, in the process, he understands her too, whether he is aware of it or not. Of course there are areas where they are not on the same wavelength, but there are many areas where they are. 

^ This just seems to be a twisted,complex version of saying  "Sheldon does things in a in his way and assumes everyone would like this and in this case Amy liked this cause they are similar"

So anyhow you are I seem to be on same wavelength ... as that was my point as well   ;)

No, what I mean by lack of continuity in the writing is when they say one thing in one ep and then do the opposite in another. In this case, Amy and Sheldon inventing Counterfactuals where nobody understands what the hell is going on but the two of them, and then have an episode where she doesn't get his Pictionary cues. And by poor writing choices I mean that that episode would have been much more interesting if they had done Lenny vs Shamy, like you suggested earlier, but they went for the predictable "Sheldon-is-weird-nobody-gets-him" kind of laughs which required the lack of continuity regarding the above for it to work.

Ahh , lets just be content by the fact that counterfactuals(knowledge) and Pictionary(interpretation) are kind of two different things

That's not a difference, that is just Amy being surprised by Sheldon's willingness to go in a couple costume. The difference was later about what they interpreted as a "couples costume". And that totally fits with the whole idea that the one area where Sheldon and Amy are unbalanced is sex and romance: she had stereotypical romantic girly couples in mind, he had duos in mind, not couples. Because his mind doesn't quite grasp the concept of romance yet. So in a sense, yes, it does come under sexuality/romance.

Ok :)

Totally. As I said, they're not carbon copies of each other, and I like that. If they had no differences whatsoever their relationship would be stagnating and there would be no stories to tell. And I like it that Amy has become her own character and that the writers are trying to show the flip side of the coin of someone missing out on childhood/adolescence. But they're still the same coin, if you know what I mean. 

I don't know if their relationship would have stagnated or not if Amy's other side of the coin was'nt shown , but for me it was much more fun to watch when Amy's coin was not flipped and not only in her interactions with Sheldon but with the rest as well

because Amy(1.0) would not even let Penny touch her breasts, would not let Leonard ogle her cabooses but Amy(2.0+) was ready to do all sorts of things(I know those were supposed to be jokes) but still ....          Amy (1.0)  >>>>>>  Amy (2.0+) .... if you get what I mean ;)

Edited by vasu

Btw, I must take issue with the contention that Shamy disagreements have been about sex...

The minor issues they've contended with this season are :

1. Sheldon ruining their anniversary dinner which was saved by Spidey Speech

2. Disagreeing over Halloween Costumes - not an argument really

3. Sheldon not taking her side in the Wil kerfurffle - which was a ruse to show his emotions

4. Amy faking sick for 2 days - which was hilariously resolved

So far, season 6 they've had less arguments of an real consequence...

Oh come on, Halloween was so not about sex in the least....Amy wanted stereotypical romantic pairings and he wanted geeky pairings...they met in the middle.

It's a compromise...he lost...

/

Again showing his maturing, would s2 or even s4 Sheldon ever utter something like that?

I get that you are hesitant about the Shamy getting intimate - but that's a reach....

I really don't know where you're getting this idea that I'm against or hesitant about the Shamy getting intimate.  :icon_confused:  All I'm saying is that Amy is ready and Sheldon isn't, yet. Emphasis on the yet. And that the writers are playing on that difference because they want to drag it out. Vasu and I weren't discussing about arguments/disagreements, we were discussing the differences or similarities in the way Amy and Sheldon's minds work, and I was saying that, at the moment, the main (only?) difference in the way their minds work is where romance/sex is concerned.

Sheldon's mind doesn't understand what a romantic pairing is, yet. He doesn't grasp romance yet (remember 6x01, where he said "I hope that's a rhetorical question because I have no clue" about the date being romantic). His choices were all male duos or objects. If he had wanted to pick geeky couples (male/female) there are tons in comic books and sci-fi, but he was only going for non-romantic pairings because his idea of a "couple" costume did not have any romantic connotations. He and Amy interpreted the idea of a "couple" costume differently, because their minds work differently on these issues, at the moment. But he is already making so much progress about what being a boyfriend means to him, I'm sure the light bulb will go off in his head, sooner or later. 

• Like 4

I really don't know where you're getting this idea that I'm against or hesitant about the Shamy getting intimate.  :icon_confused:  All I'm saying is that Amy is ready and Sheldon isn't, yet. Emphasis on the yet. And that the writers are playing on that difference because they want to drag it out.

Sheldon's mind doesn't understand what a romantic pairing is, yet. He doesn't grasp romance yet (remember 6x01, where he said "I hope that's a rhetorical question because I have no clue" about the date being romantic). But he is already making so much progress about what being a boyfriend means to him, I'm sure the light bulb will go off in his head, sooner or later. 

The part in italics they are going to have to watch.  Dragging it out too  long will be just as harmful as having them become intimate too quickly (which right now is too quickly).   I agree that he does not grasp romance yet...but he is learning and we have seen a huge leap this season.  Ever since TLA, he has really developed a lot.  

I believe they need to show Sheldon is wanting to get there, knowing he isn't there yet in order for them to successfully drag this out.   It is okay he isn't there, as long as his desire is to get there because he wants to not only please Amy, but he wants them to be on equal ground again.   I think the concern (and only a minor one because the writers have been doing fairly well so far with Shamy) is that they drag it out one-sided too long.  They need to show where Sheldon's mind is at (bluntly...because not everyone analyzes like online fans do).   They do seem to want to be very careful with Shamy (more so than they have been with the other couples) so I am giving them slack right now because they have done well thus far.   They just need to be careful to not get the couple too far out of balance, or it will become hard to watch.  

• Like 1

I agree, the writers have a very thin line to walk here. One step too far with Sheldon's character, and the purist fans are going to cry foul and OOC; one step too lagging, and it may look like he's not 'romantically interested enough' in Amy, to the casual viewers. Right now, they're just about managing the balance, I think.

As someone here said, having Amy backtrack a little (temporarily) may also be an acceptable option if they want to draw it out a little more. By backtrack, I don't mean her getting disinterested in intimacy with Sheldon - of course she won't - but they may choose to spend a few episodes without Amy making any overt comments or gestures expressing her needs, in the meantime developing their emotional relationship further, and/or highlighting the mental connection and chemistry between them.

• Like 2

I agree, the writers have a very thin line to walk here. One step too far with Sheldon's character, and the purist fans are going to cry foul and OOC; one step too lagging, and it may look like he's not 'romantically interested enough' in Amy, to the casual viewers. Right now, they're just about managing the balance, I think.   As someone here said, having Amy backtrack a little (temporarily) may also be an acceptable option if they want to draw it out a little more. By backtrack, I don't mean her getting disinterested in intimacy with Sheldon - of course she won't - but they may choose to spend a few episodes without Amy making any overt comments or gestures expressing her needs, in the meantime developing their emotional relationship further, and/or highlighting the mental connection and chemistry between them.
The writers wouldn't have to walk this fine line, if these two had better chemistry. I suppose I'm one of these Sheldon purists you all look down on, but even I think Sheldon could have a lover, if she were the right girl. This intellectual connection we are supposed to see between Amy and Sheldon is never shown anymore and just not believable. We see no clever sparing between them this season or last for that matter. We see them compromising over raggedy Ann outfits, which is such a turn off for this 'Sheldon purist'. When two people have an intellectual spark between them, it shows and should be a bit sexy. It just isn't.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
The writers wouldn't have to walk this fine line, if these two had better chemistry. I suppose I'm one of these Sheldon purists you all look down on, but even I think Sheldon could have a lover, if she were the right girl. This intellectual connection we are supposed to see between Amy and Sheldon is never shown anymore and just not believable. We see no clever sparing between them this season or last for that matter. We see them compromising over raggedy Ann outfits, which is such a turn off for this 'Sheldon purist'. When two people have an intellectual spark between them, it shows and should be a bit sexy. It just isn't.

You can never please everyone, specially with something as subjective as "chemistry". Some people will see it, some people don't. I keep hearing people talking about "Sheldon & Penny's amazing chemistry" and I've never seen it, not in the slightest. But I know it is because it is a subjective perception.

Having said that, I do agree that I want them to show Sheldon & Amy like in Season 4 doing stuff together don't have necessarily to do with their romantic pairbonding. I miss episodes like THGG for example. Those are needed. The Parking Spot Escalation had a little bit of that, but that was the only one. Those episodes are the ones that highlight how much they are in sync and good they work off each other.

Welcome Aster7!  Glad to have you join us!  :D

Part of the problem with this season 6 is they have been working on Sheldon more in an direct fashion, which benefits Shamy in an indirect fashion.  :icon_wink:    Sheldon has been transitioning between the toddler-like version that he has been in past seasons to a full-grown man in this season.   Now I know this has to do with Shamy indirectly because his Spiderman speech was all about knowing what kind of man he wanted to be for Amy.   But, because they have been focused on showing him make that transition, there have been far less scenes with Sheldon and Amy together and interacting together. 

Many of the scenes have been Amy with the girls and Sheldon with the guys.  Progress has been made in the sense Sheldon has shown more and more that he has been transitioning into a man (which is all for Amy), but they have been sorely lacking "togetherness" time.   The times you have to look for in this season have been more about comfort and natural interaction between them...implied times together through conversations Amy has had with the girls, or Sheldon has had with the guys...the sharing of tea multiple times together, etc.   

The areas where significant progress was obvious as well of course was Sheldon wanting to take care of her because he cared about her well-being and when he defended her honor against Wil Wheaton.  But, as everyone has said, there have not been as many fun times with the two of them just being them (other than the parking spot escalation).  

We miss some of their interactions.   Even at the movie theater in the second episode this season, while he was kvetching about holding hands, you could tell he really didn't mind it that much.  He grasped on to her hand tightly an talked through most of the movie with her.  When Stuart tried to offer him a Raisenette, he nearly bit the guys head off, yet still talked to Amy.  :icon_rolleyes:   Even those kind of moments are precious because it shows a complete comfort between them that they can talk about anything and be comfortable with each other.   He could tell her exactly what was on his mind and know he wasn't going to be judged, even if it did differ with her.  He also accepted the fact that because she was a "girl" she was going to like "hippie-dippy" things.  :icon_lol:

I think we miss the things like him taking vacation in her lab, them doing things together like their social science experiment in THGG, or TLA,  and their playing games like counterfactuals together, etc.   But we still have another half of the season to go.  I am looking forward to next week's taping to see if they might start to show us where they are going the second half of the seasons.  :)

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 2

It was said Sheldon could charm anyone with his wonderful eyes but he doesn't do it with Amy and never flirts with her, I do not think so. just think about episode 4.10, when at the door he says to her, "when you're feeling better, you think it's funny". The way he looks and smiles at her. In my opinion, in that scene Sheldon is really flirtatious, like saying " I'm a jerk but you can't help but to love me!"

Welcome Aster, first of all!

Second, I was actually looking for a gif of that moment as a visual aid to post alongside the one I had of the tiara date night look, but I couldn't find one. I love that scene so much, also because you can tell it totally works, she looks at him like she's trying not to smile and be like "damn you adorable jerk!". lol.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Welcome Aster, first of all!

Second, I was actually looking for a gif of that moment as a visual aid to post alongside the one I had of the tiara date night look, but I couldn't find one. I love that scene so much, also because you can tell it totally works, she looks at him like she's trying not to smile and be like "damn you adorable jerk!". lol.

this one?

tumblr_mfolehQV301qasxjlo1_r1_500.gif

and a bonus one

tumblr_lybgbzO6Fj1r0znoto3_250.gif

I miss nothing...those episodes exist already for a reason - its been done, can always rewatch to relive it. Let us just chill out a little and watch and see what happens. This hand-wringing is so not necessary. 

Well, when I say I miss those things, I don't mean I don't enjoy everything that's been going on with the show...I simply mean I'd like to see even more of it. The writers have actually done a great job so far with the Shamy and I can't wait to see where they take them next.

What's "not necessary" comes from those who behave as though every idea or opinion about Sheldon and Amy is an attack and feel the need to put down others in return....in very inappropriate ways at times too, I might add.

Monique

• Like 2

this one?

tumblr_mfolehQV301qasxjlo1_r1_500.gif

and a bonus one

tumblr_lybgbzO6Fj1r0znoto3_250.gif

Yes, these two are great visual aids! The first one will always be one of my favorite moments. But the one I was talking about is the one in 6x10 at her door when he does his Sheldon-laugh and smiles. 

Edited by spook

That's super adorable! :D Best wishes to you both. I hope to have what you have someday :p

And I hope you never settle for anything less.  :)

• Like 1

Moonbase, there was no implication of 'looking down on the purists' at all in my post. I was just outlining the thin line the show has to walk in order to keep both ends of the fan spectrum happy, without demeaning anyone's view. And as Sursonica says, finding chemistry in a couple is largely subjective. Obviously some of us do see chemistry between them, or we wouldn't adore the pairing like we do. The two moments posted by her strike me as good examples.

Having said that, I do agree that I want them to show Sheldon & Amy like in Season 4 doing stuff together don't have necessarily to do with their romantic pairbonding. I miss episodes like THGG for example. Those are needed. The Parking Spot Escalation had a little bit of that, but that was the only one. Those episodes are the ones that highlight how much they are in sync and good they work off each other.

I agree very much with this. THGG, in my view, still remains the best instance showing the 'mental chemistry' they share. That 'vixen' toast!

Edited by Pomita