The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I had a random thought.  I think it was Chuck Lorre or maybe Bill Prady who recently said that Sheldon and Amy's relationship would keep moving along to the next level, whatever that means for them.  One thing they haven't done yet is terms of endearment, like some people call each other Honey or Sweetie.  It got me thinking, what pet names would they have for each other?  Sheldon would love to be called "Nobel".  Amy might actually like "Vixen". 

Speaking of Nobel, what would be Sheldon's reaction if Amy won a Nobel prize for her work?  Would he be jealous or respect her achievement?  If he were pleased, might it even be the thing to turn him on physically?

hehe, I did bring that theory of yours over here the other week. It is true, since WHEN does he interprets something TOTALLY innocent as "You have something we want" as having a sexual connotation? 

I had a random thought.  I think it was Chuck Lorre or maybe Bill Prady who recently said that Sheldon and Amy's relationship would keep moving along to the next level, whatever that means for them.  One thing they haven't done yet is terms of endearment, like some people call each other Honey or Sweetie.  It got me thinking, what pet names would they have for each other?  Sheldon would love to be called "Nobel".  Amy might actually like "Vixen". 

I LOVED Cuddles, I hope she calls him that again at some point. And she most definitely likes Vixen, or do I have to dig out the bashful expression gif she had when he first called her that?

I think what Chuck was saying regarding the next level is that a lot of people when they ask that question they imply sex, and the next level for Shamy isn't sex. Again though, I want them to reach a next level that truly works for THEM and not just Sheldon. I want to see a more balanced relationship next season, and I'd like them to spend some time on Amy.

Edited by koops
  • Like 2

The thing that annoys me about the current Sheldon is that I really do feel like they've made it very artificial, the way he's holding back and even being snappy about it. I just got the feeling that everything was a lot more natural in S4 and 5. I was talking to Lio on the other forum about this and she made the great point that Sheldon used to be a lot more smitten and adoring and allowed himself to fall for her in those seasons because he was free from the burden of pressure. I think that's very true. I think that this desire for emotional and physical intimacy was starting to emerge naturally in him during those years and we saw the culmination in the hand hold at the end of the season: that was him WANTING that connection, that intimacy, even if it was still at a subconscious level.

Now that they've decided to go with this force vs object paradox, and they go into the writers room with the approach that Sheldon NEVER wants to advance, I think it's all coming across as very forced and artificial. It's a plot device that allows them to drag it out without care for whether it feels natural in the story. That's why you almost have 2 different Sheldons this year. And it's very frustrating. I thought their relationship always had a certain flow to it. I find that flow is lacking right now. It feels like I'm being jerked in 39 different directions, as a viewer, to the point that I'm very confused as to what's going on. 

Instead of showing Sheldon discovering the experience of desiring something he never had (intimacy), like it was happening in S4 and 5, we have them showing Sheldon fighting against it and wanting not to want it. Because to me that's what's really happening. They aren't showing him wanting to want it, they're showing him NOT wanting to want it but not being able to help it. 

Just for the record, I agree 110% with every word of this. In fact, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself.

• Like 1

NOOOO! I had written a whole post and my battery died and I lost it all. *sobs* Anyway, I'll try to remember what I was saying.

Just for the record, I agree 110% with every word of this. In fact, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself.

You'll find a lot of me quoting our conversations as you dig through the pages :p

But the fact that you dug out this post, and probably also inspired by your latest chapter, made me think about something. I know I sound a lot like I don't want Shamy to go through any "growing pains" at all, but actually that's not the issue for me. While I'd rather have a relatively natural and happy transition into physical intimacy (as slow as it needs to be), there's nothing written in stone that says that, just because they were smitten and flowing in S4 and 5, that's the only way the transition should happen.

I actually think some "growing pains" would make sense just as much. Both of them are very child-like and have been ever since they met, despite Amy's sometimes saucy language, and adding the more "grown-up" dimension to their relationship that comes with sexuality would of course cause them to lose some of that innocence, and that's probably not a smooth and easy process, especially for someone as resistant as Sheldon. I just wish we could get a more overt indication that this is what's happening and this is why they feel a bit all over the place sometimes. If we were to be cued in more directly as an audience that Sheldon is struggling with his sexual awakening, just as we were cued in on the fact that he is indeed awakening with 6x14, it would make the whole thing more enjoyable as it would turn everything we've been discussing from mere speculation into fact. The thing is, he seemed so calm, cool and collected about it all in 6x14 (which is actually the way I envisioned it all happening) that this speculation about him "struggling", at the moment, seems a bit far fetched to me. 

• Like 4

Well, the part I really agreed with is the term you used: artificial. You mentioned something that either Bill or Chuck said at one of the panels or in an interview once, about how they go into every episode writing it as Sheldon DOES NOT want to advance at all, while Amy does and is slowly pushing him along that direction. While this might have worked for a little while, I just think that, as you so superbly said, this is an artificial contrivance to writing their story, because you basically keep resetting them as a couple to square one every time you set about to write an episode - you're not using the ground you've already established and then building on it organically as you go.

So, the fact is, they keep pushing Sheldon forward in each episode, and so we keep seeing hints of all of this growth or possible changes in him that happen during that episode. Then, from what the writers have said, they reset when they write the next episode and have Sheldon once again come at it from the position that he doesn't want to change and doesn't want any physical intimacy or growth in the relationship - which goes against what they just had him go through in the previous one.

I think this is a philosophy of writing the character which was working, and would work, for a certain amount of time, but I would expect that they'd eventually have to realize that they had grown Sheldon out of this pattern and that they were starting to write themselves into a corner, and creating a theme that was not just growing stale, but illogical, because you can't keep taking two steps forward and then resetting back to the original block. Not that they've really created a situation in which they can't write Sheldon and Amy out of, but I agree with you that this writing position is artificial rather than organic, and that sooner or later they're going to have to change things up.

Personally, I believe that they definitely will, because they are amazing writers and they've already bought things along this far. I wouldn't be as smitten with this couple without the fantastic writing that's gone into creating them and moving them forward, and I'm definitely not going to bail on anything, particularly when there's plenty of evidence that things are still moving forward in their own bizarre little way, such as the episode we have coming up which ends on Sheldon having his raptures over finishing all of the tasks Amy kept him from finishing before. So there's still plenty of time before the end of the season, and I would expect them to pace it all right up until that every last episode anyway.

PS. Thank you, Rach. You're our bigbangrach, are you not? Pleased to see you over here. :)

Edited by Ennoil
  • Like 8

Really? You guys talk about my fan fics here? That's incredibly warm fuzzy inducing. Where does that happen? Not that my ego needs enlarging, but I think I'd shyly like to read that. I've really only been following this thread on and off for awhile. Maybe I missed it?

And thank you for the welcome. I do feel like a two-timer though, Pom, but at least I'm in good company with you. ;)

Welcome Lio in our happy place. :)  I love your stories...

• Like 1

Just voted on the poll guys, S&A are taking the lead ;). This Sharmy is getting stronger by the day! Welcome to all :). In terms of the next Shamy episode, my hopes lie on 6.23. It was such a great time for them last year but it's a year on now, and I'd like to see Amy's efforts lead to something greater.

He's just puzzled as to how a woman managed to do this versus the aliens he had been anticipating.

:icon_lol: For this, and for many other reasons, we love Lio.

The two-timing club is definitely the most fun, and let's hope more and more people choose it!

As for watching the finale together.. that would be a dream! I can't tell him how much I regret, sometimes, being so far away from y'all. Thank heavens for the internet. I like the idea of a virtual hand-holding session, and we may well need it. :)

Well, the part I really agreed with is the term you used: artificial. You mentioned something that either Bill or Chuck said at one of the panels or in an interview once, about how they go into every episode writing it as Sheldon DOES NOT want to advance at all, while Amy does and is slowly pushing him along that direction. While this might have worked for a little while, I just think that, as you so superbly said, this is an artificial contrivance to writing their story, because you basically keep resetting them as a couple to square one every time you set about to write an episode - you're not using the ground you've already established and then building on it organically as you go.

So, the fact is, they keep pushing Sheldon forward in each episode, and so we keep seeing hints of all of this growth or possible changes in him that happen during that episode. Then, from what the writers have said, they reset when they write the next episode and have Sheldon once again come at it from the position that he doesn't want to change and doesn't want any physical intimacy or growth in the relationship - which goes against what they just had him go through in the previous one.

I think this is a philosophy of writing the character which was working, and would work, for a certain amount of time, but I would expect that they'd eventually have to realize that they had grown Sheldon out of this pattern and that they were starting to write themselves into a corner, and creating a theme that was not just growing stale, but not really logical, because you can't keep taking two steps forward and then resetting back to the original block. Not that they've really created a situation in which they can't write Sheldon and Amy out of, but I agree with you that this writing position is artificial rather than organic, and that sooner or later they're going to have to change things up.

Personally, I believe that they definitely will, because they are amazing writers and they've already bought things along this far. I wouldn't be as smitten with this couple without the fantastic writing that's gone into creating them and moving them forward, and I'm definitely not going to bail on anything, particularly when there's plenty of evidence that things are still moving forward in their own bizarre little way, such as the episode we have coming up which ends on Sheldon having his raptures over finishing all of the tasks Amy kept him from finishing before. So there's still plenty of time before the end of the season, and I would expect them to pace it all right up until that every last episode anyway.

PS. Thank you, Rach. You're our bigbangrach, are you not? Pleased to see you over here. :)

Agreed, as always.

I think the problem for the writers right now, like we said, is to take that leap of faith and commit to Sheldon being fully *in* this relationship. And I don't mean necessarily from a physical POV. They still play the cards very close to their chest, being very cautious not to make it too obvious that Sheldon is indeed in love (even though it is obvious if you know the character well), so they use lines and gestures and situations that are still precariously balanced on the fence: in the Wheaton ep, even though it was clear Sheldon is head over heels in it by now and terrified she'd leave him, they often put in a line almost suggesting Wheaton and Amy are in the same category for Sheldon ("You're my girlfriend, and I don't want you to be upset. But Wil is my friend and I don't want him to be upset"/"They are both crazy over me. And I like them."). In the V-day ep, although it is obvious the EC was a big deal for him and that he KNEW it was going to be something she'd be pleased about, they still picked a gift that some merely interpreted as him just swapping Leonard for Amy (even though I'm not sure we are meant to assume that Leonard was on that form to start with). They have him say he's "quite fond of her", when everyone knows what he really means by that: this is Sheldon saying that! 

So while it is obvious that Sheldon is emotionally invested in this relationship in a way he's never been before, they're still holding back from committing to it without a shadow of a doubt. They still want to keep the audience guessing as to where his heart actually lies (or whether it lies anywhere at all). It's the classic case of wanting the cake and eating it too. I liked your metaphor about the baby birds that need to be pushed from the nest, I feel like the writers are a bit at that stage right now, not just Sheldon.

• Like 4

I watched TWT ep. and I thought watching Sheldon it occurred to me that if something would happen that will put him with a fait accompli, was something on which he has no control, such as with the hairdresser, even if it's hard to him at the beginning, because everything has to be planned, isn't something traumatic for him if he couldn't do it, he just went to those thoughts that there's chaos around him, and if he will not do anything what he had planned, nothing terrible would happened.
I think it was an important thing for him to cut his hair as planned, and when he couldn't do that, he had to put up with it, but it was a good move for him because we could see that he can do something spontaneous and what feelings tells him
It seems to me that we can easily refer to the episode of The Alternative Closure and Amy experiment with unfinished cases. He can do it, but he only needs that something would happen what will push him to do it.

And as we could see him in TWT he was spontaneous, and he does something what his feelings said to him, whatever they were good or bad, he can surrender to what life brings to him, and that means with a little help he can surrender to Amy, it will not be easy regarding that love and desire is one of he's feelings he denied that he feels them.
This is another prove of what Lio and koops said, that they, pushed him forward and had to reset him, to be able to have their cake and eat it too. They did it in this season. In season 5 we don't see it, however this is something much more difficult for him. Like they want to show us how hard it is for him.
To show Sheldon in fully engaged in this relationship they need to reach out to this Sheldon like in the TWT when something happened and there's nothing that he can do to change it. He feels love and desire and there's nothing that he can do to change it, and the most important fact is that he don't want to change it, he just need to get stimulus to stand face to face with the chaos in his heart and soul, and let the feelings flows him to Amy's arms. And that stimulus can be a kick to push him out from the nest in Amy's direction.
I think, wouldn't be need to push him that he showed affection and love, and everything was spontaneous, first there must be something what will throw him into the deep end, he already knows how to swim, but he wasn't yet so far from the safe shore, and Amy for him is someone in the boat, who gives him a hand, if he will have problems.

Edited by silverangelD

A little thing to re-watch:  

Mayim: "I like dancing with Jim Parsons, I like kissing Jim Parsons..." [she's so gorgeous.] 

Oh  thank  you for vid. She's so sweet and looks  beautiful. I love how she talks about him. And it isn't surprise ... who wouldn't  like to kiss Jim, and dance with him. Lucky girl... :icon_redface::wub:

• Like 3

You're welcome silver. In fact, i also came across another vid when Jim said he always enjoyed kissing her too. :D [i just don't want to bother the discussion with so many vids, so I didn't embed it]

It seems that they can't wait to kiss as we can't wait to see too. ^^ Poor babies :D

Well last few episodes have been quite bad regarding their relationship...

with Sheldon looking like a guy who is being forced to change and Amy being desperate .

Amy now clearly is a character , whom we have feel sorry for.... if she gets some affection from Sheldon we should consider her lucky..... which when compared to season 4 type relationship just shows how lame their relationship has become.....

I mean what happened to this:

Sheldon : I have to admit Amy , pretending to have intercourse with you has given me a great deal of satisfaction

Amy : Slow down Sheldon , I'm not quite there yet

And they have also lost so called uniqueness since the writers started doing parallel stories with L\P and S\A...

What is so unique about their relationship when you have the same story going on with L\P ...

the stories are like the same equations just with different variables..... Leonard and Amy trying to push .... Penny and Sheldon trying to stop...

its like if L\P represent  3a+4b = 18  then S/A represent 3x+4y = 18....

the underlying story is the same .... which is very lame .... :p

Edited by vasu

You're welcome silver. In fact, i also came across another vid when Jim said he always enjoyed kissing her too. :D [i just don't want to bother the discussion with so many vids, so I didn't embed it]

It seems that they can't wait to kiss as we can't wait to see too. ^^ Poor babies :D

Really? Was that when he mentioned it during Comic-Con 2011 or was it a seperate video?

No, that was one of the ET interviews from S5. Where the lady was molesting him.

Re: J&M not being able to wait either, those who were in the chat last night will catch this reference:

tumblr_lv1tfsdSfC1qc4z9u.gif

• Like 2

I'm sorry, I'm NOT unhappy at the moment, the paradox was set in motion for this entire season and we are seeing it play out.

Chill out and enjoy the ride. 

Sometimes its good to just chill and enjoy the view.

I'm chilling out. In fact, I think I'm dangerously close to burning out. I've allowed myself to get far too worked up over Shamy.  :icon_lol:

yeah like I said there's sweetness between them  I love it.

Like Jim said they can't wait to rehearse :lol: . It looks like when we will see a kiss initiated by Sheldon it will be beautiful :wub:

Edited by silverangelD
  • Like 1