The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I agree Koops about the L/P development being hindered by the pace of Shamy. I have felt this way since the Spoiler Alert ep. The writers have backed themselves in a corner IMO. I don't see how Sheldon will be ready next season to live with Amy..as opposed to the Lenny. There has been so much development between Lenny this half of the season and now with the sea job, I can see Penny ready to live with Leonard when he returns.

I so agree with you. The writers already told us they are going to delay Shamy for a while, when Amy told the girls about her plan in the second season 6 episode. So the writers are now stuck a little with L/P because Leonard moving in with Penny makes sense but if his room is now empty, Amy is the logical new roommate for Sheldon, which will move their relationship too fast for the writers.

• Like 1

IF Leonard moves in with penny, the shamy could have a trial period of living together even if its just the weekends, that would suit Sheldon who hates to be rushed or changed and Amy can show him what living with a woman is like and she can stay in the spare room like she suggested in the spoiler ep

I'll preface this post by saying that, regardless of what's logical for the relationships, I am a little reluctant with the idea of Leonard moving out because this would be a pretty big change in the setup of the show. So while I do realize that it makes a lot of sense for Leonard and Penny at this stage, I'm also sort of clinging onto the status-quo regarding living arrangements. And I think the writers feel the same, I don't think the only reason they're not moving Leonard out is because of Sheldon.

Having said that, the last two eps of this season have set up a bunch of pretty interesting scenarios. Penny did not want Leonard to move in in 6x15, but how would she feel after being apart from him for 4 months? Sheldon did not want Amy to move in in 6x15, because he wasn't ready for that level of intimacy, but how would he feel after the massive leap in intimacy they had in 6x23, as well as having to spend 4 months on his own? These are all factors that could change the way Penny and Sheldon view living with their SOs. The other thing is, will the writers go for the cheap plot and have Sheldon stay the same and fall apart without Leonard or will they have him develop some independence during these 4 months? If they have him develop some independence, maybe he could even accept living on his own, and that would free Leonard up to move in with Penny. Or, if Amy ends up spending more and more time at 4A, maybe even staying over occasionally while Leonard is away, he could adjust to the idea of living with her. 

I think with this Leonard-going-away plot, they have definitely set up a scenario that could lead to some subtle but significant changes with both Sheldon and Penny over the summer and that could make the 6x15 plot realistic this time around. The question is whether the writers are willing to do that or they would rather cling to the status quo and have neither of them learn anything from the hiatus.

And, having said all of that, as much as I do find the possibility of the living arrangements changing up quite interesting (if you think about it, it would be quite unique and Shamy-like to move in together before they even have sex and live in separate bedrooms), it does unsettles me to lose the whole L/S at 4A dynamic. So I'm not really sure what I want.

• Like 2

I would think that the guys would still hang out at Sheldon's and the girls at Penny's even if there was moving in together stuff going on and I suspect the shamy whilst they may get physical they may not have coitus till/ if they get married, we know Sheldon's mother is against sinning and he will think about that

• Like 2

Sheldon having sex or not has nothing to do with religion or marriage. Besides the fact that I think his mother would be relieved, and her other children hardly seem chaste and pure from the sounds of it, Sheldon has never shown any indication that he believes sex is to be saved for marriage or that he adheres to his mother's religious beliefs. Quite the opposite. The only thing stopping Sheldon from having sex right now, and it should be even clearer after 6x23, is his issue with physical contact and fear of change (the whole snail on the back of the turtle thing). 

eta: Vote for Shamy! http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/04/usd-poll-who-are-your-favourite-big.html

Edited by koops
  • Like 7

I think they could manage to keep the L/S dynamic no matter what they do.  They have shown us in the past to be clever writers so they can still manage to keep the dynamic, but whether they will go that route remains to be seen.  I honestly have no clue what they plan to do given the finale.  It has me a bit stymied.   While I agree they have set things up that they could  go the route Koops mentioned above, I have no idea if they will or if that even was the purpose of Leonard going.   For all we know...he may return the first episode and then we will all be scratching our heads going "what was that about?".   I hope that isn't the case, but I put nothing past the writers.  They have stumped us more than once.

I do believe there is an inter-relationship between the two couples and that their plans for Shamy do indeed impact the Lenny story so they have to be careful to not make both couples stale.   I suspect they are aware of that, but who knows?   It does give us a lot of fodder for the summer, however.   We now have lots of speculations we can contemplate.  :icon_lol:

ETA:  I do agree that Sheldon's hang-up with sex is fear, mainly from his mysophobia, but he has plenty of other fears and those hinder his progress.  I also agree he has no problem with his friends having sex before marriage and has shown no aversion to it.  However, that being said, I do believe there is a part of him that has built a lot of complicated and layered fear because of how he was brought up.   Not only does he have his mother's voice of religion pounded in his head, but he more important saw how his father drinking and sleeping around impacted his family life.   I think all of those things do contribute to him being a man who wants to be very committed and feel the woman he sleeps with is just as committed before sleeping with her.    I do think that he is very confused about it.  Marriage is to him a very sacred commitment, yet his father violated that vow.  Yet Sheldon likes the legal binding of marriage and we all know Sheldon loves feeling like there is a legal binding in his relationships.   So it will be interesting to see what side of his internal arguments wins.   Personally, I could say it is a 50-50 chance on whether he will decide to wait until marriage or not only because of all these hang-ups and fears.  It isn't because of his mother's religion, although I think part of him knows that would please her and therefore that comforts him, but more because he is so conflicted by so many things that it would give him more comfort somehow to think that once he gives himself to Amy, and she herself to him, that he has no fear of her walking out on him.   I think one of Sheldon's biggest fears is becoming like his father.  He does not want to be a man that would cause pain to others in the same way and he fears that the woman will walk out on him as well.  We already know he fears Amy is going to leave him.  He has said so many times.  So it is a valid fear he has based on experience.  He has to overcome that fear and it will be interesting to see if he feels he can do that before the marriage commitment or not.  The other aspect to it all is whether the writers will decide that it is more unusual these days to wait for marriage and because they like to do the opposite of the norm with this couple, they may go that route. ;)

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

I can't imagine that they'll change the apartment settings very easily.

I kind of think that the Spoiler Alert thing was maybe to point out that they're not going to go down that route very soon, even though everyone's all coupled up.

I dunno.  I like the dynamic of the boys' apartment.  And if they did change the living arrangements, it would make more sense for Penny to move in with Leonard and have Sheldon move across the hall (which he would probably hate) because Penny's apartment is so much smaller.  Too small, it looks like, for all of Leonard's crap to be squeezed in with Penny's stuff.

He'd have to put all his comic books and memorabilia in storage or something.

And live among her stuffed animals...

• Like 1

I sometimes think that fans have a bigger problem with change than Sheldon. :icon_lol:    We all want progress in their relationships yet have our own strings holding the couples back because we are fearful that things cannot be the same if the boys actually commit to their relationships in what would normally happen in the real world.   In the real world, Leonard and Penny would be likely living together by now (especially with her lack of commitment to marriage yet).  

I guess we need to give the writers room to create and see what they can come up with.   I do believe that they were testing the waters in 6.15 and giving us a foreshadow that it will come.  I think they know it is inevitable that the boys are going to have to change living arrangements eventually and it isn't realistic that they will live together for 4-5 more years.   Good grief, they are already approaching mid-30's.   :icon_lol:

I am just as guilty as everyone else of boxing in the writers by wanting everything a certain way and I am chastising myself more than anyone else right now.  :icon_eek:  The writers need space to develop and grow these characters and I need to give it tot hem.  :icon_lol:

ETA:   OT...anyone having problems getting to the fanfic site?  I can't seem to get there since earlier last evening.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

I would  really want that Leonard's travel  meant that Amy will move to Sheldon and Leonard to Penny, it all depends on what  koops  wrote, how impact on Penny will have a four month Leonard's absence  whether  in s7 we will see that she missed him so much , and this separation meant that the concerns from episode 15 are gone, and how  impact Leonard's trip would have on Sheldon, if  Amy will be frequent guest in his apartment and be with him to comfort him, be there for him, maybe slowly in small steps for eg. by staying  overnight,  will make Sheldon realize  that he will want to have  Amy in his apartment, because he doesn't like to be alone, and she will move in. At least  the level of intimacy was raised in episode 23, so it seems that it is possible.

About sex before marriage and Shamy I agree with stardust.

We just have to wait and have hope that the writers will send Leonard to the north sea  for 4 months for some reason.

Edited by silverangelD

I don't know that Penny and Leonard would be living together just yet, even in the real world. They've only been back together a little over a year and Penny has enormous fears of commitment. But in the next year or two they definitely would. But yes, I agree with rach, I don't see Sheldon giving up the apartment!! LOL.

But in any case, it is of course a show and things are dragged out for a reason. And if something is as crucial as 4A being the center of the universe, I can see why they are reluctant to change that. I would miss even the little things like Leonard and Sheldon at their desks in the evening. The question is, when does it become too absurd even for a tv show? 

Edited by koops
  • Like 2

Ok, I can see Sheldon missing having some one around because he is use to it now, so he doesn't like the change. I can see Penny going to sleep in Leonard's bed because she misses him and Sheldon allowing it because then he is not alone and he can use her to substitute for Leonard some, like a HALO partner. This could lead to Penny staying/living with Leonard, when he comes back, and Amy moving into Penny's apartment. Amy across the hall brings Sheldon and her closer, but not too close, it still provides a safe haven for girls night and it gives Sheldon a place to go if Penny and/ or Leonard give him problems.

I think that the living arrangements are part of the core premise and because the S/L apartment is the core meeting place, it's as unlikely to change as the broken elevator.  It's part of the storytelling backdrop.

I don't understand. Wouldn't Penny moving in keep the S/L apartment as center of everyone's universe, while allowing Amy to get closer to everyone, and become a bigger player in Sheldon's life?

I don't understand. Wouldn't Penny moving in keep the S/L apartment as center of everyone's universe, while allowing Amy to get closer to everyone, and become a bigger player in Sheldon's life?

I don't think that's the point of the S/L apartment.

I don't know--they may deside to upend the fruit basket and switch everyone around.  I just think that any change in the living arrangements would be a pretty major upheaval and I don't think that they're planning on taking it that direction just now.

I honestly don't see Penny moving in with both Leonard and Sheldon. First of all, Sheldon and Penny would drive each other crazy, which, while funny for an episode or two, wouldn't be sustainable in the long run. There is no way Penny can become tidy and restrained enough to meet Sheldon's standards or for Sheldon to become relaxed enough to put up with her mess. Secondly, it would be just odd for a couple to move in with another roommate. It should be a step forward for Lenny, not some weird kind of arrangement where they have Sheldon attached to their hip. The only way I can see the arrangements changing is if they either make Sheldon independent enough that he can live alone, either in his apartment (more likely) or moving over to Penny's (less likely), or have Amy moving in and Leonard moving out. I do think 6x15 was a hint of what might come further down the line, but I also don't think it's something that will happen this season just yet.

• Like 3

Guest DroneInTheSun

Actually my favourite scenario is the Lenny moving into Leonard's room in 4A and Sheldon trying to live with them for a while before he realises he has enough of living with Penny (because you know they would constantly drive each other crazy) and decides to move into 4B. Amy could join him after some time, and since I don't really want the Shamy to have children, the one bedroom only apartment isn't that much of a problem, while the Lenny can have Sheldon's old bedroom for their smart and beautiful baby.

That being said, I don't think it would happen before at least two seasons, and Amy moving in with Sheldon would happen even later than that, so I'm not sure the show is going to be long enough for us to even see something like that if the writers decided to go down that road.

• Like 1

I don't know, there's something I find depressing about Sheldon being chased out of his own apartment. Because, after all, it was his apartment first and he's lived there forever now. Maybe it's just me. If it weren't for the fact that I have no idea how they could drag it out with Lenny for that long, my ideal scenario would be: last episode of the series, Leonard moves out and Amy moves in.

• Like 6

Guest DroneInTheSun

Are we absolutely sure about the number of seasons, though? We're all assuming the show is going to be ten seasons long but has it been confirmed or is it just speculations? Because if nothing has been said, we can also start entertaining the idea that the seventh season could be the last and then your scenario would be perfect.

Just popping in quick to say hello to a new member of the Sharmy!

Hello everyone. I am new here. A proud Shamy shipper. I have been a lurker for quite sometime so don't be surprised if I know a lot.

Hello hello and welcome. :) May I offer you a hot beverage?