The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

I am in love with MaJim all over again....in her recent post on her blog  http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/

"

Just read Mayim's blog and picked up on the 'Paris is hostile to gays' (sic) part.

This is rather worrying!

Hope nothing too nasty occurred.

Can't say I've ever heard this about Paris before, wonder what she means.

I don't think what she said has anything to do with Jim or anything personal, but simply the political atmosphere and protests, etc. that are going on there.

Guest DroneInTheSun

I'm not in Paris rn but even from abroad I've been following the whole thing and Paris isn't hostile towards gay people. There are anti same sex marriage assholes who used to protest a lot but they were a vocal minority. We all knew the law was coming, it was one of Hollande's central points in his campaign and we chose him as our President, and now that it's been legalised, they pretty much won't have a choice but to shut up forever.

But this is definitely off topic.

I LOVE THE SHAMY. (bam, my post isn't OT!)

I don't think that I want her making any kind of declarations or sacrifices or whatever.  I just want Sheldon to take it upon himself to kiss her in some moment of true affection.

While the V-Day ep would have worked well--he's grateful to her for not making him go out on a traditional V-Day date, etc.--I think it would have been almost too cliche or obvious a moment.

I'd almost like it to be at the end of one of their Date Nights or maybe even just some evening that they've spent together doing whatever.  Maybe she's done something nice for him, maybe she's just said something really clever and they're both chuckling over it.

In that moment he is somehow moved by pure affection for her and finally goes for a simple kiss to try to express it.

I don't want drama, I don't want speeches, I don't want innuendo or discussions of desire.  I don't even need "I love you" in the moment.

Maybe something along the lines of that first drunken kiss (but both of them stone-cold sober)--they're just sitting there talking and he sees her in a different light, and he acts upon it.

I love this and completely agree!

Although i was thinking it would be SO SWEET if they had just had a little chuckle or something on date night and Sheldon says 'You're MY vixen, Amy Farrah Fowler' and gave her a kiss! 

Oh man, I don't know if any one mentioned recently but less than 100 post until we hit 10,000!!

Actually with this post we need 95! 

tumblr_inline_mfei1rohUD1qb9fuc.gif

Yay! we can do it! I don't think there's another thread on the forum with this many posts, is there??? Amazing.

Let's try and keep it on topic though! Otherwise it would be cheating! :p

I know we've talked a lot about Sheldon's progress this year, but BazingaFan was saying that there's been a change in Amy from the beginning of the season. I'm curious as to what people thing, since, overall, I found Amy to be very much in the background this year and not develop much. Although I really appreciated the fact that her sex jokes have stopped, since 6x11 and that her crush on Penny is gone. The latest AFF is exactly the way I want her.

I bought the season on iTunes, but I can't wait until the S6 DVDs come out so I can watch them on my TV.  I have all of this season on VHS (old school, so shoot me) EXCEPT 6x23!!  I've watched it over and over on my computer (leaning up close to the monitor...) but I want to watch a nice clear copy on my TV.

The VHS tapes are fine for what they are, but the quality is sadly lacking.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the tapes once I get the DVDs--I'd just tape S7 over S6, but I have some JP TV appearances scattered through them...

Anyway, one more ep to tape this week--yes, sadly, I have a concert the night of the finale.  I'd better get the VCR set up right this time! :icon_rolleyes:

Guest DroneInTheSun

Let's try and keep it on topic though! Otherwise it would be cheating! :p

I know we've talked a lot about Sheldon's progress this year, but BazingaFan was saying that there's been a change in Amy from the beginning of the season. I'm curious as to what people thing, since, overall, I found Amy to be very much in the background this year and not develop much. Although I really appreciated the fact that her sex jokes have stopped, since 6x11 and that her crush on Penny is gone. The latest AFF is exactly the way I want her.

I do believe Amy's changed as well, although it's nowhere near as much as Sheldon, and the lack of any Amy-centric episode makes it impossible to review her change as a single person and I will have to tie her progress with other characters' lives.

When we left her in Season 5, we had an Amy who was starting to get the ropes of being in a relationship with Sheldon - don't expect too much and do not scare him - and was in a constant state of hoping for the best. She also had the biggest girl crush and her sexual innuendos were starting to get out of hand. She was very much in that teenager phase we've all talked about at some point, and I was definitely excited to see where she was going to go.

Now at the end of Season 6, I feel like Amy went on a rollercoaster concerning Sheldon and their relationship. At the beginning of S6, we had a continuation of S5 - apart from the first episode where she threatened to leave him -: she went on with her experiment without pressuring him too much, and things were going smoothly and she was still as hopeful. After V-Day, though, things changed, Sheldon grew mean and Amy got fed up - her irritation shines in The Closet Reconfiguration for example. She was past the silent patience and started growing irritated until, in The Love Spell Potential, she finally asked the question she's been wondering for years (those events were foreshadowed by the ending of The Contractual Obligation Implementation). She doesn't tiptoe around her feelings anymore and is honest and direct about them, and that may be what the Shamy needed the most, so hopefully her change in attitude is going to bring out the best of Sheldon.

I also feel like, in parallel, Amy grew more confident. Mind you, she's always been very confident, sometimes to the point of ridicule (like when she believes Leonard has fallen in love with her), but I think that Sheldon's lack of affection coupled with Penny's overshadowing personality may have repressed a lot of her. The way she used to worship Penny was probably symptomatic of a feeling of not good enough. Now, though, she's grown past that stage. She realises she has things Penny will never have or will struggle to get, like intelligence (cf. The Bakerfield Expedition where it is painfully obvious that Amy and her bestie are not intellectual equals) and that probably led her to be more asserting in her relationship with Sheldon as well. 

And this is probably why the sex jokes have stopped. I think she realised she's better than that, and that she needs to behave accordingly. I feel that somehow, end of S6 Amy is much more mature than end of S5 Amy, but she of course still has this edge of weirdness that makes her both a great character and Sheldon's soulmate.

Now all we know is a more Amy-centric Season 7, so we can witness this for ourselves, because like you said, koops, she was very much in the background in S6.

• Like 2

Good points Lost. I have to say I'd be very interested in a S7 where we see Amy grow out of her teenage phase completely. Not in the sense that I want her to get all serious and grown-up necessarily (like I said, give me D&D excited Amy any day), but in the sense of realizing that a lot of the "popular" stuff she craved with the girls are actually rather superficial, and discover her own feminine identity instead of trying to fit the mold of what's 'girly'.

She's obviously always had a very romanticized ideal of her relationship with Sheldon too, which is very teen-eagy, and I think she did come down to Earth a lot in the last episode. I find the fact that it's now out there that part of her wants more, that it's something that's on the table to be a big statement not only for them as characters but for the writers too. The Shamy has always been this sort of float-on couple where nothing was ever really questioned directly because it raised a lot of uncomfortable issues regarding how to develop Sheldon, but this year is going to be a different music given that it's now unambiguous. Sheldon is aware of her hopes and wishes for their relationship and she knows he's aware and he knows she's aware he's aware. There's no escaping or hiding anymore. It's going to be the year of commitment, whatever that means, or nothing.

• Like 2

Great insights koops and Lost... I agree with you. I couldn't say it better.

I just want to add that in season 6 IMO they showed that she is even more patient and compassionate  toward Sheldon, like saint. She  wants that their relationship was more intimate but she understands him, his quirks, and I think she knows exactly how he is changing, and  that it is not so easy for him. She knows him far more than he can imagine. 

• Like 1

Two of the largest changes I see in Amy is that she is more mature and more realistic.  I think she lived in an ideal world a lot of the time in S4 and S5.   In S6 her ideal world started to crash around her when she finally took her "blinders" off so to speak.  She began to really notice Penny's flaws and still loved her as friend, but also realized that no one is perfect.  I think initially she idealized Penny as perfect.   She finally saw she wasn't and so was able to put Penny in much more proper perspective as an adored and dear best friend.   Likewise she did the same with Sheldon.   She started to realize that love is not always roses and rainbows.  It isn't perfection and it isn't going to always be happy.  Sometimes you endure pain yet the pain can be worth it.  I think when Sheldon would complain to her about hand holding, about many things it bothered her and pained her.  He was treating her rather "mean" in some episodes.  Yet she was able to step back from that and look at what they do have, especially once they were able to finally express their feelings more in 6.23.   I think there she realized that Sheldon has been trying in his own way and that what they have is special.   Out of that a much more mature Amy has evolved.  She has become more of a woman instead of the adolescent girl we saw in earlier seasons.   

I too am looking forward to how they will handle this couple in S7.   Ideally now that they have re-synchronized, it would be great to see the growing "together" and at the same pace.  I am hoping Sheldon opens up to providing Amy with more affection and I know that if she received it, she would be much happier and would be far more willing to slow the pace to allow him to "get there" so to speak.   I also hope they do have a centralized Amy episode or two next season as well as more family interactions.   I think having their families on helps give us insight into the characters a lot more.  

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing!!

I love the look of the picture, their clothes, and the sort of "gothic" look.

I love Sheldon/Jim's purple shirt and bow tie.

:D

I think they were going more for a Gatsby look actually.  LOL!   They did a "nerd" version of it...because the background has his DNA helix, the carpet the show logo, the action figures behind the curtain, the robot on the bookshelf, the physics formula in frame between Mayim and Jim, etc.   LOL!

I love how they tried to incorporate the set in the photo.

wow wow wow. Yes, it's a bit photoshopped (then again, most of these photos are), but looking hot Shamy! Mayim is gorgeous! I love the dress, and they look like such a classy couple. Funny that Johnny seems to be the only one sort of in character out of the bunch. Could this be the 9-hour photoshoot Mayim mentioned a while ago? I'd kill for a photo of just Majim in those outfits.

eta: I wonder whether they actually took the photo in the apartment and photoshopped everything about the setting to make it look Gatsby-ish or just reconstructed the apartment wherever they did the photoshoot.. It's the DNA helix like in the apartment, with the same cupboard, the window is the same and the coffee table is the same. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 2

wow wow wow. Yes, it's a bit photoshopped (then again, most of these photos are), but looking hot Shamy! Mayim is gorgeous! I love the dress, and they look like such a classy couple. Funny that Johnny seems to be the only one sort of in character out of the bunch. Could this be the 9-hour photoshoot Mayim mentioned a while ago? I'd kill for a photo of just Majim in those outfits.

eta: I wonder whether they actually took the photo in the apartment and photoshopped everything about the setting to make it look Gatsby-ish. It's the DNA helix like in the apartment, with the same cupboard, the window is the same and the coffee table is the same. 

I think this is part of the set of photos for the dvd and the promotional items for season 7, just like the james bond one

• Like 1

I think they were going more for a Gatsby look actually.  LOL!   They did a "nerd" version of it...because the background has his DNA helix, the carpet the show logo, the action figures behind the curtain, the robot on the bookshelf, the physics formula in frame between Mayim and Jim, etc.   LOL!

I love how they tried to incorporate the set in the photo.

Is it a Physics formula? Cool. I only thought it's the formula for differential calc. Anyway, I approve if Jim/Sheldon is Jay Gatsby then Mayim/Amy is Daisy. And if you would look at the promotional posters for the actual Great Gatsby movie, you'd see their costumes similar to Gatz and Daisy.

leonardo-dicaprio-jay-gatsby-and-carey-m

I agree, Koops. She looks freaking hot with that hairstyle.

Edited by rubyanjel

Enjoy my Shamy fans:  tumblr_mmte6wWmUc1rlz6hlo1_500.jpg

Oh wow I love that picture. Thank yo for sharing.

Mayim is so beautiful and in that hair style she looks so stylish and thet dress is gorgeous. Jim is so handsome I love that combination of color of the shirt and the suit. They all are stunning on that picture. And there is written that TBBT just hit magical elusive sweet spot nailed only by a few comedy shows.  Impressive.

• Like 1

I agree I like Mayim better with shorter hair. For example I thought she looked better early S4 with that shorter hairstyle than with this longer hair. It works better with the shape of her face.