The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

BTW,as I pointed out to star in another thread:

It's in the "Show" forum, listed at the top of all the forums. Earlier this year Tripper decided he wanted to keep all the discussion in the "Show" forum, then move it to the Season 7 forum after Season 7 is over, as a kind of archive.

I was just listening to "The Weight of the World" by Editors (from their album An End Has A Start aka the best album of the last decade basically) and I realised that those lines scream Shamy (minus the God part, seeing how Sheldon's an atheist):

You touch my face

God whispers in my ears

There are tears in my eyes

Love replaces fear

That is all. Carry on.

Will go listen!

Was watching Shrek the other day and never realised just how fitting the song 'Beautiful Freak' by Eels is for Shamy.

Get googling, seriously, it's uncanny!

@jimmy722: Big Bang Theory Exec Producer Steve Molaro also teases: "It is possible Sheldon & Amy become physical" next season. #SDCC #BigBangTheory

I'm crying

OMG.... it would fill my Shamy fan heart with such sweetness... oh wow  :icon_cry:  :wub:  :icon_cry:  :wub:  :icon_cry:  And I bet that there is a lot of us who are happy that he is growing up.... it's about time...

Right, I'm having a Shamy!song moment, although I find the last line of the chorus applies SO well to every single couple and friendship on this show ("If it weren't for second chances, we'd all be alone").

And after this sappiness, I'm going back to work.

Edited by koops
  • Like 1

Santa simulation was on last night and the issue of closure came up when Sheldon just had to finish the good king Wenceslas song

Jim actually has a nice singing voice. A good thing to have in the old tool kit for Broadway.

koops, watching the comic con video, Bill mentions the dreaded irresistible force vs immovable object paradox again but only briefly...just a pre-warning 'cause I know how much you hate it ;)

They seriously need to get rid of that wording and that mentality.   Bottom line they should never be putting it this way because it just makes Amy look like a jerk that is forcing Sheldon to do something he doesn't want to do.  I do not believe that is at all their intent, but it does make people dislike Amy purely because they make it seem she is forcing the whole thing, plus it makes the relationship very one-sided.

I would much rather have them say something like "Sheldon is reluctant to grow up because when you grow up you are always facing so many scary things. Amy is helping him transition as painlessly as possible with her patience and willingness to help Sheldon remain the essence of who he is."   it would be far more positive, allow them to keep their relationship growing at "glacial speed" and yet show that both are working on the same goal

im actually has a nice singing voice. A good thing to have in the old tool kit for Broadway.

I agree. I like his voice a lot. 

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

Thanks, Rachel.  It just bugs the heck out of me how they make it sound like Amy is some dominatrix forcing him into things he doesn't want to do.  They make her out as if she stands there with a ruler to smack him every time he doesn't do what she wants.   LOL!   They also imply she is some sex-crazed woman, when she really isn't.  She is very patient with Sheldon and more than willing to wait because she knows the wait will be worth it.

I really hate that mentality and the wording they use.   It makes it sound as if Sheldon has no investment in the relationship and that his heart is not at the same place.

I honestly do believe Sheldon is crazy about Amy and loves her deeply, but is just scared to feel, scared to experience the unknown, scared to be so vulnerable and transparent, and most of all scared to admit he is human.   He always calls those things being "hippie-dippy" because they are great fears for him.   But the wording they are using does not reflect that at all.  It makes it sound as if Sheldon has no sexual interest, no desire, no passion or love for Amy.  

I have never thought of him as asexual.  He behaves more as a person that has repressed feelings, emotions and sexual desires for so long, he fears opening up and allowing those to come out would be like opening Pandora's box.   But that is quite different than just never having those feelings at all.   He also is afraid it will change who he is. He has always prided himself as being above humans and more Vulcan or robotic in nature.   So he would have to admit that he really is human and that scares him as well.  

Right now they treat it as if he doesn't have those feelings at all and that is what I dislike a lot.  Sure D&D gave us some insight, but we need to have Sheldon admitting more on screen to someone  what he is feeling from time to time so that the audience can see it isn't so much that Amy is forcing him as it is he is scared to death because of all the things I mentioned above.   If anything her nudges are helping him let little bits of feelings, emotions and desires seep out a little at a time and at a pace he can handle.

If they can reveal and show us more insight on how Sheldon feels about Amy, we will see that it isn't so one-sided.  It would go a long way to fans in being able to tolerate the slow speed they seem to want to take with the couple.

• Like 3

I think some people read too much into the way the writers talk about the Shamy relationship. Yes they fall back on certain phrases to describe it, but I think it's more about an easy sound bite way of explaining the complexity that is the Shamy in terms of comparing it to most other TV relationships.

All of the others are willing to jump in the sack at the first hint of desire, even before expressing an ILY, including Raj, when he has had the opportunity.

So the slow pace of the Shamy is a constant question for interviewers--and I'm sure they'd all like to be the first one to shout, SHELDON AND AMY ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX THIS SEASON!!!!!, so they're always going to be asking and the writers are always going to have to find a way to make them understand that it's not a simple answer.

And I do think that the snail/turtle analogy is pretty good, and the irresistible force/immovable object description is fairly valid--but more importantly, instantly understandable to a reporter or to readers, etc.

I do think that some people are always going to view Amy as the one pushing him, rather than the other way around (which is the norm for most couples), and to some degree it is valid. I don't think she's desperate or sex-starved, and I think that anyone who really watches the show would know that. I think that those who view her negatively are going to do so no matter what, so I don't think that attitude has any bearing on what really happens on the show.

But it true that she wants a physical relationship and even as Sheldon is struggling to work it out, it does seem to be moving awfully fast from his viewpoint. "It's only been three years and we're already in bed together." , etc.

He likes the status quo and has always been reluctant to change, especially in relationships, and the whole bf/gf thingies a really big change that requires a lot, both emotionally and physically.

So these kinds of descriptions don't really bother me.

Well put, star.

The other issue I have with the way they describe it is that it seems like the writers have completely forgotten that for the longest time it was Sheldon who was way more invested in their relationship than Amy. Amy, up until after they became official, was always rather indifferent about it all. Yes, she definitely had a massive crush on him since late S4, but she didn't think the sun "rose and set on this brilliant man". She went off with Stuart on a date without dwelling too much on her relationship with Sheldon. Sheldon, on the other hand, has been the one most affected since day one: the cats, the way he used to be jealous and over react about other men (including Zach), the way he used to constantly compliment her in front of his friends, etc. 

The way the writers and the cast talked about Shamy was very different too. It used to be always, essentially, "we don't know what's going on, but it seems like she's the exception to all his rules." Which didn't mean Sheldon was ready and suddenly eager to jump in bed with her, but it definitely was way better than "she's going to continue trying to get her way" and "he just does not want to change". Bottom line is, the writers have 7 characters to worry about, and simplifications such as these sentences are what they use when they go in the writers room and decide on plots. If they go in with the start point of "Sheldon does not want to change, what if Amy does this?" and keep throwing ideas at each other until they reach the point of "Ok, he'll give in at this point" (like they said they do), it's VERY different from "Sheldon normally is like this, but how would he be different with Amy?", which is more what they used to do in the past. Or the "We stop and think that this is how normal couples would do it, but how would they do it?" that they also used to say in the past. Do they stop and wonder "WHY would Sheldon be in this relationship if he hates being pushed and change so much?" and "WHY would Amy be in this relationship if she never gets what she wants?"? Because if they are constantly shown to be in different places and never share anything, then the relationship doesn't make much sense and it's getting hard to buy.

The other thing that annoys me about those comments is that it's been one year and yet we are still hearing the exact same answers we heard at CC 2012. One would hope that in after a year they'd have new ideas to keep the story fresh, instead of milking the pushy-Amy cow for all that's worth. I do believe this whole paradox thing has spiraled out of control in the way the sex jokes and the jokes about Penny had in the past. And just like the sex jokes and the Penny jokes, I do think it's going to get old very very fast. The whole pushy-woman/reluctant man dynamic has been done tons of times before in sitcoms too, it's nothing new.

I was also telling Lio the other day that, if you think about it, it's absurd how a patient girl like Amy is considered pushy and hormonal and desperate by a lot of people. That is entirely due to them constantly showing Sheldon dragging his feet. Because she indeed does not push him much at all, it's the contrast with his recent stick-in-the-mud attitude that is making her come across as pushy. Because people love precious precious Sheldon and she is the evil evil lady that is trying to "change" him. I do like Fish Guts, but I feel that more episodes like that are not going to be a good thing for how Shamy is being perceived. And amping up the contrast between him not budging and her pushing also normalizes Amy in a way that's really unfair to the unique character she is. 

Now, on the other hand, I believe every mention of the paradox and the "No, I'm not changing" stuff has come from Prady, rather than Molaro (correct me if I'm wrong). I said that these were the same sentences he said last year, and he said at Paley. Maybe it is the fact that he is only working PT and not putting a lot of creative input into it that he hasn't really 'updated' his views and just keeps repeating what he's been repeating for a year. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. I didn't have a problem with Molaro's recent statements about Shamy ("He is out of his comfort zone and keeps pushing himself for her"/"It (the D&D sex) was a big deal for Sheldon"/"It's a possibility", etc.). The only problem I have with Molaro is that he doesn't seem to have any specific plans for how the summer affected Shamy, given that I think, with Leonard gone and in the aftermath of the D&D sex, this would not be a regular summer for Shamy.

Edited by koops
  • Like 7

Bravo, Koops.  You articulated exactly what I feel about it all and you are right; it is Prady that makes that paradox statement.   I also agree that it sounds like Molaro has not considered the impact of Leonard's absence on Shamy and the fall-out of the D&D game...or at least he is not articulating it if there are plans.  

I just feel they need to position the couple better that it is really a give and take on both sides, and that both are equally invested.  Sure they may differ in opinion on some aspects of their relationship, but I would love to see smitten Sheldon back like he was in S4-5 and that the writers are looking at what it is about this couple that makes them unique from other couples.  It is just the slowness of when to have sex that makes them unique.  I feel they have put far too much emphasis that the only unique thing is Sheldon refusing to move toward a physical relationship.   That isn't at all what the couple has been about in the past at all. 

I would love to see them getting back to a quirky couple that approach things in unique ways.  While the D&D game was a good example of that, they should be past the point where Sheldon is afraid to touch Amy at all and is afraid to kiss her.   He had no problem with her drunk kiss at all.  In fact, I think he rather enjoyed it otherwise he would have run out of her apartment immediately.   I just feel they have taken his "she's got cooties" approach over the top that it isn't funny.

They can still be funny, unique and moving at a very slow pace, but still show signs of affection through it all.

• Like 4

Did anybody notice though that penny encouraged Amy by saying if its not going anywhere what does it hurt to look then said the same to Bernadette, it kinda hints at penny having either loose morals or because she didn't have a boyfriend at the time a hint of jealousy and bitterness

Guest DroneInTheSun

I don't think that's what they were trying to convey at all. Penny was right - what Amy had with Sheldon wasn't anything official and definitely not going anywhere so she had all the rights in the world to date Stuart if she wanted to. Re: Bernadette, it's the same as Leonard telling Howard "not to throw her back" - they all think Bernadette deserves better than Howard, that he isn't good enough for her. Which isn't fair, but not bitterness nor jealousy.

But this isn't Shamy related so I have nothing else but "+1000 koops and stardust" to say.

• Like 2

Thank you, Andy.

I just posted in the Comic Con thread under Cast/Crew that my husband has been super busy at work that we have not had a chance to talk much about the show.  He just watched the panel this morning and came to me and said the following:

"It was troubling that they really had no idea where they were going with the Sheldon and Amy story and how they continue to act like Sheldon can't change.  It is unrealistic to not see people change throughout life.   All people change, no matter who you are, but you don't necessarily lose what makes you unique.  Why don't they get that?"

I told him I totally agree. I don't get the attitude of the writers to treat Sheldon as if he is incapable of change when it is such a part of life.   Everyone goes through stages and seasons.   But they act like Sheldon is some immovable building or something.  Even buildings can be moved.   I just wish they would get over that and start repositioning the whole Shamy interaction aspect.  They need to show that Sheldon may be going through "growing pains" but is capable of changing.

I would LOVE for Amy to get super busy with her career, leaving little time for him and watching him try to woo her more because he misses her so much.   For once I want to see him being the one groveling for her attention.   LOL!

• Like 3

I got to thinking about past sitcoms where couples waited a long time before getting together and the difference between those couples and BBT's Shamy is that you were continually shown both sides of the couple.  You saw both the man and the woman having desires for the other even if they never expressed it to the other party.   But the audience knew.  They made sure the audience saw both had the same desire and were working toward wanting to be together.   With Shamy, we are only shown that Sheldon doesn't want to move and Amy wants affection.  That is very lopsided and that is why  it comes across very frustrating.  It makes it seems she is forcing Sheldon into something that was initially his desire.  He is the one that changed the paradigm of their relationship to boyfriend/girlfriend so they need to get back to showing that he too wants what she wants even if they have not clued each other in on it.   D&D was a first step, but they need to work harder at making it more balanced POVs.

They could accomplish a lot and still keep them glacial speed through conversations and dreams.  They could show Sheldon is riddled with carnal dreams of Amy and finally goes to Leonard for advice, or Sheldon is so distracted in thinking about Amy in some way affectionately that Leonard asks what is distracting him, etc.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

I would LOVE for Amy to get super busy with her career, leaving little time for him and watching him try to woo her more because he misses her so much.   For once I want to see him being the one groveling for her attention.   LOL!

This. I'm actually going to sort of write that in my fic ;) 

They could show Sheldon is riddled with carnal dreams of Amy and finally goes to Leonard for advice, or Sheldon is so distracted in thinking about Amy in some way affectionately that Leonard asks what is distracting him, etc.

And this they did already, in TLA. It just seems like they've forgotten all their plot lines. They should do a re-watch of Shamy eps from S4-6. It wouldn't take long to refresh their memory.

• Like 3