The Shamy Thread! (Season 6 Edition-Spoilers)

MJistheBOMB

But once S7 begins, won't we all be over there anyway?  I mean if we are talking about S7 shows?    So what I am suggesting is that there be two threads under S7, one that allows spoilers the other doesn't?  I mean I am one that doesn't mind being spoiled so one thread is fine by me, but if there are some that don't want to know about taping reports discussions, etc. I am not sure we ever accommodated for those fans.

We never did because we are all spoilerholic. Maybe we should take a survey about whether opening two threads make sense. I don't know that it does. I don't think there's enough people that are going unspoiled here. I personally will only be unspoiled until October 10th at the very latest, then I'll be back in business as usual. ;)

I have no issue either way.  I think it is easier when we have a single thread so we don't have to check so many threads, but I also want to be sensitive to those who hate being spoiled.  I am open to either direction.  Whatever everyone else wants is fine by me.

Hey guys; I'm at the beach, so I missed a link to the article where malaro talks about the season premiere.  Could someone post it again?  I looked back in the thread and couldn't find it.

Razberrypie, I love your signature!

Edited by BazingaFan

Hello, everyone. Wow, so I just read that article. I can't help but think that Molaro cares very little about the Shamy. I could just be being a bit dramatic...LOL...but I don't know. Since he cares more

about the main three and their relationships with each other (don't get me wrong, I love them all too), other characters relationships are gonna kinda be brushed under the rug. Let's hope this isn't the case.

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 3

I agree with Monique.  Something about the article just doesn't seem right.  The main feeling I get from the article is that penny and sheldon's friendship is going to grow closer.  Not that I don't like that, but it's strange to have no mention of shamy or lenny, the two main relationships on the show and what everyone wants to know about.  Interesting.  I told myself I didn't want to be spoiled, and now I wish I had listened to myself and not read this.  Not too happy right now?  Not sure what to think about it.

Thanks for the link to the article.

• Like 3

I wouldn't take it all to heart too much--I think that Molaro was speaking specifically about the first one or two episodes and then in very broad strokes about upcoming ideas.

And it could be that his comments were in response to the types of specific questions the interviewer was asking.

ETA:  I do think that there are some odd things--like why in the world is it all that important that Sheldon and Penny grow closer?  They're already friends in the way that he describes, so I don't know that there's exactly a "need" for that in terms of how they all get along, etc.

But at the same time, I don't think that any of his comments spell the death knell for either the Lenny or the Shamy.

Edited by phantagrae

I wouldn't take it all to heart too much--I think that Molaro was speaking specifically about the first one or two episodes and then in very broad strokes about upcoming ideas.

And it could be that his comments were in response to the types of specific questions the interviewer was asking.

ETA:  I do think that there are some odd things--like why in the world is it all that important that Sheldon and Penny grow closer?  They're already friends in the way that he describes, so I don't know that there's exactly a "need" for that in terms of how they all get along, etc.

But at the same time, I don't think that any of his comments spell the death knell for either the Lenny or the Shamy.

I agree. They probably only have a vague idea right now anyway. These writers are notorious for going with the flow and have been accused of not having a plan on many occasions. They also can change direction mid-season as we saw in 6. Anyway, everytime they have an interview about what's happening in the next season, it's never totally correct. Last haitus they said that there would be some mention of Amy and Sheldon's mothers meeting. That never happened.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Hello, everyone. Wow, so I just read that article. I can't help but think that Molaro cares very little about the Shamy. I could just be being a bit dramatic...LOL...but I don't know. Since he cares more

about the main three and their relationships with each other (don't get me wrong, I love them all too), other characters relationshios are gonna kinda be brushed under the rug. Let's hope this isn't the case.

Did Molaro seem really high to you in that interview?

You have an amazing cast, so you want to focus on your 2 straightest characters reacting to your most eccentric? So you don't want to use your super talented cast of original supporting characters? You just want to focus on the way the show was before it become popular?

Bold move, Steve.

• Like 4

I will just say that the interviewer seemed just as stunned as Molaro’s responses and kept trying to ask questions that got away from his Penny-obsession.  It was clear if you really read the questions that were asked.  

If any doubt, here were the sequences of just the questions:

1.  How will we see Raj (Kunal Nayyar) navigate his new skill of talking to women?

2.  With Raj on a newfound hunt for love, could his parents pay him a visit in Pasadena?

3.  Will we see Leonard (Johnny Galecki) at sea?

4.  How will Penny and Sheldon (Jim Parsons) fare during Leonard’s absence?

It was after this question was asked that Molaro responded “You will see that Penny and Sheldon are both missing Leonard and are spending some quality time together and getting closer than ever — which I love."

Of course that led the interviewer to ask the next question, because it was obvious he opened the door to it.

5.  There’s a large contingent of fans interested in seeing romance between Penny and Sheldon. Is that something we’ll see?

(I disagree with the word “large" but that is a moot point)

His response included "I love the Penny-Sheldon relationship as much as I love anything on this show. I think her love for him is very real, as is Kaley and Jim’s relationship in real life. I think that translates."   

Jim and Kaley are friends and co-workers, and Jim loves many people on that show and he has been very clear he holds Mayim special in his heart.   So bringing that up that personal information about Kaley and Jim was unnecessary and given how Jim is about privacy, out of line. Second, he was clearly stating that he has a favorite here and showrunners don’t do that.  They should love all of their characters and stories as much as the next.   It is fine for him to love the Sheldon/Penny friendship and many of us do, but we also love the Lenny relationship and the Shamy relationship and the Howardette relationship.  We love to see Raj and his quest for a girlfriend, etc.   I mean it is bad show to say you have a favorite like that and show a bias.

6.  Might Sheldon begin crashing Penny, Amy (Mayim Bialik) and Bernadette’s (Melissa Rauch) ladies’ nights?

Now here is where Molaro makes a statement that is completely unrelated.   He answers “I don’t know how interested he is in that, but he’s got a special spot in his heart for Penny because he

knows he can count on her and she’s on his side."

The interviewer did not ask about how Sheldon feels about Penny.  It was about him joining the girls.  And instead Molaro talks about Sheldon having a special spot for Penny.  What about Amy? Does he not have a special spot for his girlfriend…the one he asked be his girlfriend?   This is where fans have been upset (here on out) because he constantly turned it around to be about Penny.   It wasn’t that the interviewer led him to that response in any sort of way.

There were a couple of questions about Penny’s play/career I will skip here although I would LOVE for them to see her be successful instead of the route they are choosing for her.

9.  How will Amy handle Sheldon’s reliance on Penny in Leonard’s absence?

Molaro’s answer: “We don’t hit that too hard. I don’t think Amy sees Penny as a threat. She loves Penny."   While this is great, I think it would have helped if he had added to his repsonse “and she trusts Sheldon".   He should have turned it again back to Amy is in a relationship with Sheldon, but his focus was Penny, not Shamy at all.

10.  Where do Amy and Sheldon go from the Dungeons & Dragons game?

Molaro’s answer: “They continue to move along very slowly. We listen to the characters and let them go where they want to go, but she’s going to keep pulling him in some direction. And he will keep resisting it, and we’ll see how far she can get him to go that we’re all comfortable with."   By now, why is Sheldon resisting.  He just talks above about how comfortable Sheldon is with Penny and how he holds her deep in his heart, but there is no talk at all about Sheldon having feelings for Amy. It comes across that Amy is constantly pushing him and he is uninterested.  It is all in positioning.  He is the showrunner and should be positioning things well so that fans are excited to tune in.  However, he has not successfully done that.  If anything, he just riled up fans by not showing any regard to the Shamy relationship and proving that it is something special and a journey fun to watch.  Instead he makes it tedious to watch with his words.

Bottom line, it isn’t that fans are upset that Sheldon and Penny lament together and find solace with each other that is the issue.  The issue is how it was all positioned and how he lead the conversation always to Penny.   It was clear there was a bias there and that he has a major thing for Penny.   Most of us do like Penny, but we also recognize this is an ensemble cast and there are others to consider.  

It was also a lack of positioning the two couples in a positive light.  He didn’t position Lenny well, nor Shamy well. He spent all his time positioning the special relationship between Sheldon and Penny.   While many fans, myself included, enjoy the bantering and antagonistic, yet caring relationship between Sheldon and Penny, we also wan to know about the couples that we have grown to enjoy and support. But there was nothing really to make you feel warm and fuzzy that they have real plans for either couple.

It gets back to being careful with your words when product positioning.  Showrunners set the tone for the audience often and tone of the season when talking this early in advance of the season.   He just did a very poor job in setting a good tone. He made factioned the fanbase and didn't succeed in making most fans feel warm and fuzzy about what is to come.   That therein lies the problem. It wasn’t what the interviewer asked, it was his responses that was the issue.  He clearly needs lessons on how to word smith and position his product.

Steve comes from being a writer, not a manager, full out producer and technical guy.  He is still very young in experience in those areas, which explains why the show has pacing issues, character inconsistencies and character imbalance.  Those take experience to a certain extent, but then being a showrunner, you usually have gone through a lot of paces to get there.   I think he lacks good PR skills overall.  He could benefit from a PR training class on how to tease for excitement in that industry.  There are technical training he could benefit from as well, but I won't get into that.   In this situation it was all a positioning issue and that is why there is a perceived distrust and discomfort with him.   That coupled with how some of last season went. 

Amy was used very little.  In many shows she was basically treated as an Under-5 character only given one line to deliver in the whole episode.   She is paid as a full-time supporting actress which means that she should be utilized as such.   Likewise it is an ensemble cast and the whole cast is being paid as such.   Sure there are Jim and Johnny as the leads and Kaley was the original lead actress but there has always been an ensemble cast and in previous seasons, it was well balanced.  S6 wasn't.  

While I know many compare this show to Friends, one thing I will say about the writers of Friends is that they balanced characters, stories and pacing well.   He could study and learn a lot from that.  While many would consider Rachel/Ross the primary couple, you saw plenty of Monica/Chandler as well and Phoebe's stories as well.  So I think he could benefit from some training, but most of all initially just good PR training.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

I agree. They probably only have a vague idea right now anyway. These writers are notorious for going with the flow and have been accused of not having a plan on many occasions. They also can change direction mid-season as we saw in 6. Anyway, everytime they have an interview about what's happening in the next season, it's never totally correct. Last haitus they said that there would be some mention of Amy and Sheldon's mothers meeting. That never happened.

Well, the thing with the mothers is something they wanted to do, but I think that it just came down to logistics of not being able to get the mothers in to do the show.

I think we know that they don't plan out every episode over the summer, so they may have great ideas (or bad ideas, depending on your POV) that may or may not come to fruition for any number of reasons.

I will just say that the interviewer seemed just as stunned as Molaro’s responses and kept trying to ask questions that got away from his Penny-obsession.  It was clear if you really read the questions that were asked.  

If any doubt, here were the sequences of just the questions:

1.  How will we see Raj (Kunal Nayyar) navigate his new skill of talking to women?

2.  With Raj on a newfound hunt for love, could his parents pay him a visit in Pasadena?

3.  Will we see Leonard (Johnny Galecki) at sea?

4.  How will Penny and Sheldon (Jim Parsons) fare during Leonard’s absence?

It was after this question was asked that Molaro responded “You will see that Penny and Sheldon are both missing Leonard and are spending some quality time together and getting closer than ever — which I love."

Of course that led the interviewer to ask the next question, because it was obvious he opened the door to it.

5.  There’s a large contingent of fans interested in seeing romance between Penny and Sheldon. Is that something we’ll see?

(I disagree with the word “large" but that is a moot point)

His response included "I love the Penny-Sheldon relationship as much as I love anything on this show. I think her love for him is very real, as is Kaley and Jim’s relationship in real life. I think that translates."   

Jim and Kaley are friends and co-workers, and Jim loves many people on that show and he has been very clear he holds Mayim special in his heart.   So bringing that up that personal information about Kaley and Jim was unnecessary and given how Jim is about privacy, out of line. Second, he was clearly stating that he has a favorite here and showrunners don’t do that.  They should love all of their characters and stories as much as the next.   It is fine for him to love the Sheldon/Penny friendship and many of us do, but we also love the Lenny relationship and the Shamy relationship and the Howardette relationship.  We love to see Raj and his quest for a girlfriend, etc.   I mean it is bad show to say you have a favorite like that and show a bias.

6.  Might Sheldon begin crashing Penny, Amy (Mayim Bialik) and Bernadette’s (Melissa Rauch) ladies’ nights?

Now here is where Molaro makes a statement that is completely unrelated.   He answers “I don’t know how interested he is in that, but he’s got a special spot in his heart for Penny because he

knows he can count on her and she’s on his side."

The interviewer did not ask about how Sheldon feels about Penny.  It was about him joining the girls.  And instead Molaro talks about Sheldon having a special spot for Penny.  What about Amy? Does he not have a special spot for his girlfriend…the one he asked be his girlfriend?   This is where fans have been upset (here on out) because he constantly turned it around to be about Penny.   It wasn’t that the interviewer led him to that response in any sort of way.

There were a couple of questions about Penny’s play/career I will skip here although I would LOVE for them to see her be successful instead of the route they are choosing for her.

9.  How will Amy handle Sheldon’s reliance on Penny in Leonard’s absence?

Molaro’s answer: “We don’t hit that too hard. I don’t think Amy sees Penny as a threat. She loves Penny."   While this is great, I think it would have helped if he had added to his repsonse “and she trusts Sheldon".   He should have turned it again back to Amy is in a relationship with Sheldon, but his focus was Penny, not Shamy at all.

10.  Where do Amy and Sheldon go from the Dungeons & Dragons game?

Molaro’s answer: “They continue to move along very slowly. We listen to the characters and let them go where they want to go, but she’s going to keep pulling him in some direction. And he will keep resisting it, and we’ll see how far she can get him to go that we’re all comfortable with."   By now, why is Sheldon resisting.  He just talks above about how comfortable Sheldon is with Penny and how he holds her deep in his heart, but there is no talk at all about Sheldon having feelings for Amy. It comes across that Amy is constantly pushing him and he is uninterested.  It is all in positioning.  He is the showrunner and should be positioning things well so that fans are excited to tune in.  However, he has not successfully done that.  If anything, he just riled up fans by not showing any regard to the Shamy relationship and proving that it is something special and a journey fun to watch.  Instead he makes it tedious to watch with his words.

Bottom line, it isn’t that fans are upset that Sheldon and Penny lament together and find solace with each other that is the issue.  The issue is how it was all positioned and how he lead the conversation always to Penny.   It was clear there was a bias there and that he has a major thing for Penny.   Most of us do like Penny, but we also recognize this is an ensemble cast and there are others to consider.  

It was also a lack of positioning the two couples in a positive light.  He didn’t position Lenny well, nor Shamy well. He spent all his time positioning the special relationship between Sheldon and Penny.   While many fans, myself included, enjoy the bantering and antagonistic, yet caring relationship between Sheldon and Penny, we also wan to know about the couples that we have grown to enjoy and support. But there was nothing really to make you feel warm and fuzzy that they have real plans for either couple.

It gets back to being careful with your words when product positioning.  Showrunners set the tone for the audience often and tone of the season when talking this early in advance of the season.   He just did a very poor job in setting a good tone. He made factioned the fanbase and didn't succeed in making most fans feel warm and fuzzy about what is to come.   That therein lies the problem. It wasn’t what the interviewer asked, it was his responses that was the issue.  He clearly needs lessons on how to word smith and position his product.

Steve comes from being a writer, not a manager, full out producer and technical guy.  He is still very young in experience in those areas, which explains why the show has pacing issues, character inconsistencies and character imbalance.  Those take experience to a certain extent, but then being a showrunner, you usually have gone through a lot of paces to get there.   I think he lacks good PR skills overall.  He could benefit from a PR training class on how to tease for excitement in that industry.  There are technical training he could benefit from as well, but I won't get into that.   In this situation it was all a positioning issue and that is why there is a perceived distrust and discomfort with him.   That coupled with how some of last season went. 

Amy was used very little.  In many shows she was basically treated as an Under-5 character only given one line to deliver in the whole episode.   She is paid as a full-time supporting actress which means that she should be utilized as such.   Likewise it is an ensemble cast and the whole cast is being paid as such.   Sure there are Jim and Johnny as the leads and Kaley was the original lead actress but there has always been an ensemble cast and in previous seasons, it was well balanced.  S6 wasn't.  

While I know many compare this show to Friends, one thing I will say about the writers of Friends is that they balanced characters, stories and pacing well.   He could study and learn a lot from that.  While many would consider Rachel/Ross the primary couple, you saw plenty of Monica/Chandler as well and Phoebe's stories as well.  So I think he could benefit from some training, but most of all initially just good PR training.

I don't think that Molaro is the amateur you seem to think he is.  Even if he hasn't been in charge of running the show until this past season, it's not as if he's been living in a vacuum his entire career.

I also think that this interview may have come from a lot of the conversation at ComicCon, since it seems similar to what was being said there.  We don't know the circumstances of the interview, the entire conversation (unless there's an uncut video somewhere of this conversation) or how it may have been "shaped" by the interviewer.

But what I was really saying is that this is one interview, early on before the season, and that it's about the concept of one or maybe two episodes, not about the entire upcoming season.

While the Penny-lurve may have been over the top, to some degree, I don't think that it reveals some kind of inadequacy on Molaro's part as a showrunner--I don't think there's an industry rule about how a showrunner talks about the characters on the show, even when it comes to revealing "favorites" or whatever.

Prady and Lorre are famous for talking about how much they love the Shamy--does that make them unprofessional for revealing how much they love one particular couple?  I think that how a writer or producer--or showrunner--talks about the characters or the upcoming storylines depends on what's on their minds at the moment as well as what kinds of questions they're being asked.

We actually don't know if the interviewer intended to ask about Sheldon and Penny getting together before Molaro mentioned them.  I mean, so many people ask that question all the time.  But regardless of that issue, I don't think it's unprofessional to discuss the nature of how characters relate to each other, or to talk about the real life friendships between the actors.  I mean, it's not as if Jim hasn't talked about how much he loves Kaley.  When he won the Golden Globe and she was the one who presented it to him, he talked about being presented with it from "your co-worker, who you love", etc.  Just because Jim has become close to Mayim doesn't mean he doesn't also love Kaley as a friend and co-worker.  I mean, you make it sound as if Molaro is talking about Jim cheating on Mayim with Kaley or something.  All he's saying is that he feels that Jim and Kaley's friendship translates into how they play off of each other's characters.  That's not inappropriate or improper in any way.

And I don't think that the whole point of this interview was to lay the groundwork for the entire season or to create warm fuzzies about the couples, etc.  It was just about "where are we going to pick up when the new season starts"--are we going to see Leonard on the ship, how are Sheldon and Penny going to cope (since Leonard's absence will be felt most by the two of them), and what's going to happen with Raj's mutism.  Those are questions set up by the finale. the business about Amy and Bernie going off together without Penny is just extra info that happens to be a factor in the opening episode.

I'm not saying that everything is going to be rosy, I'm just saying that this is one interview done very early on and isn't necessarily going to set the tone for the entire season.

• Like 1

So Amy instead of helping her boyfriend focuses on her work by going on that trip with bernie , reminding me of Amy we met in season 4 or just like the time she did in one of season 5 episodes and tried in one of season 6 episodes...... go Amy .... work harder and get a Nobel Prize instead of being a chauffeur for Sheldon Cooper and finally make him cry like a little girl.....oh wait , he already has once in the last season....but it would be fun to see it again....  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

I bet you are SO right. 

So Amy instead of helping her boyfriend focuses on her work by going on that trip with bernie , reminding me of Amy we met in season 4 or just like the time she did in one of season 5 episodes and tried in one of season 6 episodes...... go Amy .... work harder and get a Nobel Prize instead of being a chauffeur for Sheldon Cooper and finally make him cry like a little girl.....oh wait , he already has once in the last season....but it would be fun to see it again....  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

And I like where your head is at. Bring back independent, strong, career-driven Amy. I didn't think of it like that. Kudos.

• Like 1