67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I liked the episode more than I thought I would. It was bittersweet, Sheldon's (specially), Amy and Raj's stories were sad. But then again, Christmas is a depressing season so, to me, it makes sense. 

I'm so bu humbug during this season.  :(

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raj's character is a perfect example of why the people who say they want the characters to go back to the way they were in seasons 1 & 2 are wrong. His character is just like it was in seasons 1

The whole controversy over the so-called "dark Santa" is ludicrous.  It was a dream.  DId it occur to anyone that just perhaps Sheldon was feeling a little guilty about his reaction to saving Santa in

I couldn't agree more.  If they ever have an episode where one of the girls are eating somewhere and asks a stranger for some salt, he gives it to her, and she says thanks, then we will be hearing abo

Hey ya’ll :)

Pretty Good episode tonight though it was not my favorite BBT Christmas episode it was still cute.  I guess nothing will ever top the first Christmas special with Penny, Leonard and Sheldon all exchanging gifts that one we got to see a real Saturnalia miracle. Also, weird that this was first time I ever watch BBT while being sick I came down with little bug yesterday, no doubt from watching awesome Sheldon taking care of Amy sick over and over on youtube all week, i think i caught Love sick Computer Virus like Mrs. Wolowitz said lol

But, hey at least my mom brought me soup and I get to play my Soft Kitty cat tonight before bed to help me sleep. I am so addicted to this show now lol  :icon_redface:  But, Sadly this time there was no miracle for Sheldon.  I kind of thought the dream at the end was just sort of too silly, it would have been so much more profound and beautiful ending if they had his Pop Pop visit him in his dreams and tell him that he is in better place and that he is proud of Sheldon for achieving so much and that he doesn’t need to be angry at Santa Claus anymore because its not Santa’s fault his Pop Pop was dead.  

I think Dick Van Dyke would have made  a perfect dream sequence Grandpa Cooper, and even cooler to see DVD and Jim sing an old fashion Christmas Carol together at the end of the episode.   But, what I did like is that we got to learn more about Sheldon’s childhood and again his quirks now can once again be explaining through previous childhood traumas. :icon_twisted:

Just like last week with his sexual repression being brought out through his childhood memory of his father beating his brother over driving whiskey or his desire to make Amy feel better when she was sick way his mom always did it for him this week we discover that Sheldon’s anger issues with Christmas stem from the lost of his beloved grandfather and how deeply those childhood memories still effect his personality and behaviors today.  :icon_mrgreen:

That part of the episode was extremely good and consistent with what we’ve seen with Sheldon so far.  I hope to find out even more about Sheldon’s childhood even the bad stuff because I think it really lets us Sheldon fans get to know and understand him better and not just think he is randomly some asexual geeky physicist and his quirks just came out of nowhere for the sake of entertaining all of us, but actually are deeply seeded in his history and background. 

But, despite the silly ending there were some pretty cool and funny moments. 

I loved how Amazing Bernadette looked in her red dress, I’m a straight girl and even I’d hit that lol.   Howard is one lucky lucky man he hit the JACKPOT!   So he better not keep taking her for granted because eventually she will go all Revenge-y on his ass lol and just the fact that he didn’t just run out after her when he saw her in that red dress just shows that this show hasn’t become all about couples relationships like I’ve heard some claim.   Instead the guys chose D&D over hanging with their ladies so they still total GEEKs!  And I really liked watching them play that game together it makes me want a D&D set for Christmas since I’ve never played it myself, but it looks pretty fun especially if you can add in all kinds of themes.  They really should come out with a BBT version of Dungeons and Dragons now that I would buy lol 

I also like that Raj finally got to spend time with the girls on the show and bond with them a bit, but the more he talks to the ladies it just makes me realize how his whole selective mutism thing is totally outlived is humor or usefulness IMHO.  I mean if every time he wants to talk to them he just has to be holding a beer or wine or champagne then its not really funny anymore that he can’t talk to them.  I much rather see them show Raj overcoming his issues with not talking to them sober than see them just use the same old trick of oh as long as there’s alcohol in his system he’s totally fine and was barely even acting drunk at all so yeah just not seeing the humor there its played out.  I’d rather see Raj develop his friendship with Stuart or Alex or anyone more than just episode after episode season after season of same silly “gay” jokes and selective mutism that magically disappears with alcohol.  :icon_rolleyes:

I do like that they brought Stuart back into play and that he is still staying with Raj and their relationship is still buddy buddy.  After the Halloween episode and Raj being mad because Stuart took credit for his menu I was worried writers might have just secretly broken them up and that was only reason why which would have been pretty lame.  Stuart is just as lonely and needy as Raj is and even though I don’t think they’ll be real gay lovers I like their homoerotic ersatz relationship and its nice to see Raj has somebody too now that Howard is married to Bernie.

I liked the little smile on Sheldon’s face when Amy came in modeling her “sexy” look and even though a part of me wanted to see  them put Amy in some really truly sexy outfit like they did with Bernadette and Penny tonight another part of me is glad writers don’t feel they need to turn Amy into another “normal sexy” type just to win Sheldon’s affection.  I don’t think Sheldon would want her to change way she dresses anyway, he likes her just way she is and that is what makes SHAMY so great.

I also liked that instead of rejecting D&D like Amy rejects Star Trek or Star Wars, she actually wanted to play with the guys unlike Penny and Bernie.  She obviously likes playing board games especially with Sheldon, from their counterfactuals game to the girls vs boys game night to her wanting to play D&D I like it more when Amy and Sheldon are willing to embrace each other’s interests and not just poo poo on them all time way say Leonard and Penny often do.   The compatibility of SHAMY is what makes them so cute together, and I am extremely happy they didn’t do anything awful like have Amy and Raj get so drunk at the bar that they wound up going into a bathroom stall and making out or having sex. 

For one tiny fleeting moment when Raj was starting to compliment her I was getting a bit worried cause they make Amy seem so desperate to get LAID sometimes that its such a turn off.  I mean I know its meant to just be funny, but there would be absolutely nothing funny about Amy cheating on Sheldon with Raj and so I was glad that really all she wanted was Raj to find her attractive the way he did with Penny and Bernadette. 

I hope one day perhaps in another holiday episode either New Years or Valentine’s day or Saint Paddy’s whichever they actually have Sheldon tell Amy that he finds her physically attractive or pretty or something because I think that Amy wants to  hear that from him more than anyone and it could make for really cute moment between them someday because Sheldon behaves so cluelessly about that kind of “traditional romantic” type stuff he’d probably say it in a really funny and adorably childish way.  Also, too bad Amy didn't try to break out the mistletoe and get Sheldon under it only to have him explaining history of where mistletoe comes from instead of kissing her.  Oh well maybe next year.

Anyway, I hope anyone reading my post feel free to check out my BBT Christmas Tree which I’m posting up and I hope you all have HAPPY HOLIDAYS and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!! 

I've only see a couple of clips so far, will watch the rest of it later. But a few things that bug me about the continuity. It's Saturday night and Sheldon's not doing laundry??? Amy could not have passed out at a frat party because she never drank alcohol before meeting Penny! Yes, I nitpick, I know, but that's me :p

I probably won't be able to watch the whole ep until later tonight, I have a full day ahead  :(

eta: Just watched the Raj/Amy clip... it starts off good but it gets progressively worse when the dialogue gets really predictable and cheesy. The end "You're not alone anymore, you have Sheldon"/"I do, and someday you'll find someone too" it's so bland and perfunctory. She might as well have said "there, there". It's saved by the jokes at the very end but other than that... meh. 

I did not mind the Santa scene in the end at all. Sheldon did look good in that one, I have to admit! lol. 

From what I've seen I'm getting pretty bland vibes about this episode. I hope the D&D scenes are better.

Edited by spook

I knew I was going to feel ambivalent about the ending because I had read the taping report, so I wasn't exactly disappointed by the weird ending.

I know that they revised the Santa part a few times, which tells me that they weren't really that sure about that scene. And Sheldon's little tag at the end was also revised in the sides along with the Santa sequence.

I was actually enjoying it until Sheldon got up to do his little rant.

I think the problem was that there wasn't a real build-up toward it, either psychologically or emotionally.

Sheldon starts out objecting to Christmas for his usual odd reasons and then mentions his grandparents singing Christmas carols, which does lay a little groundwork for his memory of losing his Grandfather.

However, we don't really see him getting upset or talking about Santa until he suddenly gets up for his rant. From the taping report mention of him drinking eggnog (and because the latest version of the end sequence had him saying something like "no more eggnog before bed" or whatever), I thought that maybe he was supposed to be a little drunk or something when he goes off on Santa.

I do think that he was supposed to be really into the game or something because of the way he was addressing Leonard directly, as if he really were Santa, but the emotion seemed a little out of the blue.

I do like the insight into Sheldon's issues with Christmas, and the mention of how his Pop-Pop was the only one who encouraged him to study science, and I think it was good to have the rant about why he hates Santa, but I thought the ending was kind of abrupt. Sheldon seemed angry at "Santa", but then he just calmly sits back down. I would have thought that if he really were that upset at the memory of a Santa who disappointed him, he would have stomped off to his room or something.

I did like Sheldon in his PJs (without a robe, for once!) with his adorable bed-head, but it was such a dissatisfying ending otherwise. I can imagine that Sheldon could have dreamed any number of ways to feel guilty about leaving Santa to rot (and does this mean that Sheldon does still kind of believe in Santa?) that didn't involve Santa trying I kill him. I could see him dreaming about orcs showing up in the apartment, like the Gorn or the Morlocks, or even tiny Spock. That would have been preferable--to me--than a murderous Santa with a cannon.

But otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

Classic! what great lines 'your hands are softer than veal' Penny  to Leonard 'you're so butch' Howard showing that marriage hasn't squeezed out the inner sleeze with the 'treasure chest' remark. And of course the guys playing D&D kudos, now that's a Saturnalia story for the ages. Raj and Amy were particularly good together, it's nice to see her interact with someone besides Sheldon & the girls. They're making her look pretty & Sheldon is still sexually oblvious.

Looks like the Ramy (no that doesn't mean we'll have Shenny, the writers in classic season 1-3 style could keep the Lenny & have Sheldon be alone or even find another girl. It's all good). I'm really loving this season, once they got over the bumpy start; dear writers keep up the good work!

Fairly piss-poor effort tonight. Especially for a Christmas/season break episode.

The whole D&D theme seemed a little forced to me. It was like they kept emphasising "Dungeons & Dragons" in a bid to let everyone know that, you know, they were playing "Dungeons & Dragons"

The Raj and Amy interaction was great. Was nice to see Raj chatting away (even though alcohol was present in the scenes) But, still hope that one day the writers will just let him talk without the booze.

That final scene with Santa was really OTT and unnecessary imo.

Edited by netmouse
  • Like 2

I can positively guarantee everyone as a matter of FACT - Ramy will never happen...lol.

I couldn't agree more.  If they ever have an episode where one of the girls are eating somewhere and asks a stranger for some salt, he gives it to her, and she says thanks, then we will be hearing about the new couple that will be coming.  Raj and Amy will never get together.  Leonard and Amy will never get together.  Leonard and Alex will never get together.  Sheldon and Penny will never get together.  The only way to put an end to all of this foolishness is to never let any of the characters talk to someone of the opposite sex unless it is with their girl/boy friends. 

• Like 4

I watched it again, and liked it some better.  I followed the d&d better the second time around, and the scene where sheldon talked about santa-- I actually liked it to see sheldon opening up about something in front of his friends -- but I think I liked it better because I was expecting it; the first time around it just seemed so strange when it turned that way.

I kind of liked the way sheldon did the kick thing in the air, it was kind of bad ass, but too bad he was talking about santa clause.

ps... Penny's hair... not so happy with it in this episode!

Edited by BazingaFan

I couldn't agree more.  If they ever have an episode where one of the girls are eating somewhere and asks a stranger for some salt, he gives it to her, and she says thanks, then we will be hearing about the new couple that will be coming.  Raj and Amy will never get together.  Leonard and Amy will never get together.  Leonard and Alex will never get together.  Sheldon and Penny will never get together.  The only way to put an end to all of this foolishness is to never let any of the characters talk to someone of the opposite sex unless it is with their girl/boy friends. 

It kind of reminds me of Amy's "If that's all it takes it's a good thing you don't have a dog". If all it takes for a ship to be set up is for two people to talk to each other, then, my dears, we are all sluts. 

Not to mention, did you see Leonard's look when Penny showed off her dress. Yeah, he's SO dumping her for Alex. lol.

eta2: Is Sheldon understanding Raj's double entendres on purpose or is that just Jim forgetting to be indifferent?? It happens twice in that scene, the second one is pretty obvious, he turns to look at Raj like 'wtf'?

Edited by spook
  • Like 1

I liked this episode...

Initial couples scenes were cute... especially L\P.... Penny going from "you're so butch".. to... "hands are soft like veal"... and also Leonard not getting Penny's sarcasm :p

I thought the two main stories were pretty good

Drunk Raj's oblivious double entendres are quite funny...so his story about having a thing for Penny and Bernedatte was fun ( after reading the report I thought it would look gross, but I'm glad I was wrong)

And Amy had the best line of the show --- "In college I passed out in a frat party and woke up with more clothes on"   :D :D

And who cannot like the eye-candies we got from P/B  :icon_wink:

I thought the Santa Part was very good.... with an excellent twist....the build up to the twist was also very good with Sheldon slowly revealing that he actually knows a lot of about christmas and did enjoy it as a child...

I also liked Leonard putting the santa hat on and speaking in a santa-ish voice -- "ho ho help me"  :D

But again...my same issue with this show...no resolution to either of the plots...

- Raj is still sad and lonely..and we still don't know much about his sexuality

-  Sheldon's dream scene was just too silly....how can the revelation about his pop-pop be the end of the story...and in a typical selfish way Sheldon made it all about him and marches off to his room...what happened to Leonard's desire to have a fun christmas

Edited by vasu

Wow, what a strange little episode that was.  Someone obviously not feeling the christmas spirit this year?  But on  brighter note, my did you see Sheldon in his pyjamas, I should stop right here before I write something I may latter regret.  

Edited by Convict13
  • Like 3

eta2: Is Sheldon understanding Raj's double entendres on purpose or is that just Jim forgetting to be indifferent?? It happens twice in that scene, the second one is pretty obvious, he turns to look at Raj like 'wtf'?

Well things like these need to overlooked :p

Remember in season 3 the ring episode... When Penny says her bag is from victoria secret..then everyone including Sheldon looks at Leonard.....while in the this episode Sheldon does not even know what point were the ladies trying to make by their fashion show

Sheldon understanding or not understanding double entendres depends upon which of reaction of his is more funnier  ---understanding(ring episode,raj's double entendres in this episode)....not understanding (fashion show in this episode) 

I really loved this episode! It felt more like a season 3 episode to me. Penny and Bernie looked hot and I like the nerdy librarian look so I even liked the way Amy was dressed. Her line about being passed out at college and waking up with more clothes on was great! I almost fell on the floor laughing.

I liked the Dungeons & Dragons Christmas themed game. Some complain the show is loosing touch with its nerdy roots and I think this episode demonstrated that it is not. I thought Raj was very funny and Stuart's responses to Raj's comments were also very funny.

• Like 3

I liked this episode...

Initial couples scenes were cute... especially L\P.... Penny going from "you're so butch".. to... "hands are soft like veal"... and also Leonard not getting Penny's sarcasm :p

I thought the two main stories were pretty good

Drunk Raj's oblivious double entendres are quite funny...so his story about having a thing for Penny and Bernedatte was fun ( after reading the report I thought it would look gross, but I'm glad I was wrong)

And Amy had the best line of the show --- "In college I passed out in a frat party and woke up with more clothes on"   :D :D

And who cannot like the eye-candies we got from P/B  :icon_wink:

I thought the Santa Part was very good.... with an excellent twist....the build up to the twist was also very good with Sheldon slowly revealing that he actually knows a lot of about christmas and did enjoy it as a child...

I also liked Leonard putting the santa hat on and speaking in a santa-ish voice -- "ho ho help me"  :D

But again...my same issue with this show...no resolution to either of the plots...

- Raj is still sad and lonely..and we still don't know much about his sexuality

-  Sheldon's dream scene was just too silly....how can the revelation about his pop-pop be the end of the story...and in a typical selfish way Sheldon made it all about him and marches off to his room...what happened to Leonard's desire to have a fun christmas

IMO, there doesn't always have to be "resolution" to a story line.  It depends on what the story is and also there is usually an implied ending.  Not everythinng in life gets resolved in a conclusive way.

I don't think that the point of Raj going out with the girls was meant to be a lead in to resolving his sad, lonely state.  That's going to go on indefinitely until the writers decide to finally put him in a position to somehow get over his mutism, either with therapy or medication or whatever.  I don't think there's supposed to be a real question about his sexuality that hasn't already been addressed. I think that the gag about him not knowing what his comments sound like is the joke, not that he's supposed to be sexually ambivalent.  While there are a lot of jokes at the expense of his sexuality, I do think that the writers intend him to be "metrosexual"--in touch with his feminine side, if you will, but still wanting to be with a woman sexually, not with a man.

On the few occasions where Raj has had just a little alcohol, or maybe has thought he has, he has actually been pretty charming.  It's just that if he has too much he goes over the top.  The best example was on the train with Summer Glau.  She was actually charmed by him and he was being pretty cool.  If Howard hadn't shown him that he hadn't actually had any alcohol, who knows how far he might have gotten with her.

Anyway, there's no way those issues are ever going to be resolved in any one episode.

And with Sheldon, I'm not sure what you expected in the way of an ending to either Sheldon's story about his Pop-Pop--I think that the story was that he resented Santa because Santa didn't deliver on Sheldon's wish.  Sheldon would of course have expected to get what he asked for, the way any child does, and being disappointed in not getting what he asked for, Sheldon apparently added Santa to his mortal enemies list or something.

IMO, the Santa story is its own resolution--what's the real reason Sheldon doesn't enjoy Christmas? Is it really having a tree indoors and overuse of 'tis and 'twas and single stockings?  Maybe those things bother him to some degree, but his real resentment is that Santa didn't come through with his Pop-Pop.  That's the end of that story for the moment. I don't think there's anything more to be said unless they were going to spend the episode talking him through it or something.

As for Leonard, I'm not sure what resolution you were thinking there would be on that front, either.  Again, it was its own ending.  Leonard was making an effort to have some Christmas fun and Sheldon kind of ruined it.  That's the story.

Whether or not he had a nice Christmas with Penny the next night or on Christmas Eve or whatever doesn't really come to bear.  It's just the story of what happened on this particular night, and we saw the resolution of the story.  They were trying to have fun and Sheldon killed the party.  And Santa along with it, apparently...

I liked that Sheldon dreamed about Santa trying to explain that there were certain things that he just couldn't do, but I would have liked for it to have gone a different direction--maybe with Sheldon demanding a better explanation, because if Sheldon really understands that, then why would he have held a grudge against Santa all these years?  Or maybe Santa could have put him on the naughty list, or given him a lump of coal or whatever.

I think they were trying to find some funny ending with Sheldon dreaming that Santa would get him back for leaving him to rot, but just hit a weird note with the cannon thing.

In earlier versions of the ending, Santa had a shotgun and was blasting all over the apartment--the cereal boxes, etc., and in one version he aimed the cannon at Sheldon's spot on the couch.  I think they just wanted some kind of mayhem ending to Sheldon's dream.

But as for resolution, I don't think there's really a point to be resolved.  The dream about revengeful Santa was the resolution to Sheldon's rant.

While the show is not an endless saga of continuity and ongoing storylines the way some shows are, they do sometimes harken back to something brought up in previous episodes.  But not everything demands a follow up and not everything is that important in the grand scheme of things and something things are specifically mentioned and then set on the back burner to be brought up later.

• Like 1

Well things like these need to overlooked :p

Remember in season 3 the ring episode... When Penny says her bag is from victoria secret..then everyone including Sheldon looks at Leonard.....while in the this episode Sheldon does not even know what point were the ladies trying to make by their fashion show

Sheldon understanding or not understanding double entendres depends upon which of reaction of his is more funnier  ---understanding(ring episode,raj's double entendres in this episode)....not understanding (fashion show in this episode) 

I think that Sheldon's look at Leonard in the ring ep doesn't necessarily mean that he knew or suspected anything specific--obviously Penny was talking to Leonard and was implying that he had the option to hold onto the ring or go and be with her.  Even if Sheldon had no idea what the significance of the bag being from Victoria's Secret meant, he would still be curious as to what Leonard was going to do.  I don't think that has to do with understanding what she meant.

I think that bostrich explained it best in saying that Sheldon obviously knows about sex, how babies are made, etc., and if the conversation is obviously and specfically about sex, he understands what's being talked about and may even participate.  But if the conversation is more subtle and only hinting at sex through double entendres or knowing glances or something, then he usually doesn't get it.

Sex and sexual references are never going to be the first thing that occurs to him if the conversation is subtle and relies on a person's social sophistication or worldly viewpoint.  Howard would get it all the time, or even turn everything into a sexual reference--like the "large chest".  While Sheldon may get it if the joke is obvious--as It was in that case--he's not going to be the one to immediately associate the words "large chest" with a woman's bosom.

I didn't notice his looks at Raj's comments, so I can't speak to those specfic references, or if he was reacting more to Stuart's reaction or what.  But I do agree with bostrich's explanation of his ability or inability to understand.

I really loved this episode! It felt more like a season 3 episode to me. Penny and Bernie looked hot and I like the nerdy librarian look so I even liked the way Amy was dressed. Her line about being passed out at college and waking up with more clothes on was great! I almost fell on the floor laughing.

I liked the Dungeons & Dragons Christmas themed game. Some complain the show is loosing touch with its nerdy roots and I think this episode demonstrated that it is not. I thought Raj was very funny and Stuart's responses to Raj's comments were also very funny.

I loved the Dungeons & Dragons game--I love that Leonard had come up with a Christmas quest and had included certain tasks and clues for that theme, including, apparently a code that they needed to solve in order to play Jingle Bells on the handbells.  Great touches.

And I loved Sheldon figuring out the Good King Wenceslas clue--and that he sang all 4 verses. :D

I used to love to play D&D back in the dark ages, so that, the singing, the handbells (I play in the handbell choir at my church), and all that really  tickled me. :)

• Like 1