The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pepsiadikt

The Entire Premise Is Changing, Not Sure How To Feel.

It is quite something. They do get passes. But the number of times Amy has offered to off someone is growing. Maybe Sheldon should watch out for himself. Howard should watch himself too with Bernadette.Maybe one day the two ladies will both just... snap.

Lets hope that waits till Season 10. Or until Mr Lorre does another cross-over with CSI.

(Kidding folks...

no, you should worry...

no, still kidding. Apparently they regularly vacuum and tidy and that makes it ok)

Haha I'd like to see that day! Brilliant.

It's really quite something. No one can make direct observations from the show that suggest Amy and Sheldon have issues, which clearly they do. This season Amy is expecting more and we are seeing disappointment. I don't understand why so many ladies are so head over heels with this relationship, in the first place. In the real world it would be considered toxic.

That's what makes the whole thing fascinating. IT'S NOT REAL. LOL. It's so new and different. THAT'S why so many people are so "head over heels with this relationship" NORMAL IS BORING.

Monique

Amy understands Sheldon in a way that no one else does. No matter what she wants from him physically, clearly, he is worth waiting for. Until the moment she realizes she is unhappy in her relationship with Sheldon, I'd say she is very content right now. Remember the first episode of the season? She threatened to leave Sheldon if he didn't show her that he was emotionally invested by saying something meaningful and from the heart. I don't recall her ever wanting to leave him because he won't have sex with her. Amy has already gotten Sheldon to do things during their relationship that he NEVER would have done otherwise. Sure, they're small things for others but for him, they're big steps forward. Just because he's moving at a pace that not everyone likes, doesn't mean he'll never get there and as of right now, Amy understands this.

Monique

As long as he dodges those hopped up monkeys hell be fine. :)

I think its Penny who understands Sheldon the most...probably after his mother...

I can say that Amy treats Sheldon in a way no one does..like a man.....but I'm not sure if she understands Sheldon in a way no one does(not the science talk)....

But Penny doesn't vacuum or dust. Sheldon can't understand that and will never really relate to Penny. And she has no bio weapons in her fridgerator  - just baking soda and  a dead D cell battery.

Amy is the one.

(Hey, I learned how to do two quotes. Yay me!)

• Like 1

That's what makes the whole thing fascinating. IT'S NOT REAL. LOL. It's so new and different. THAT'S why so many people are so "head over heels with this relationship" NORMAL IS BORING.

Monique

Finally a sensible comment from a shamy... and I totally agree. It is not real! In the real world Sheldon would be considered a neglectful bastard, who wants everything on his terms and someone, I would not let date my sister. In the TBBT world, it's just 'beautiful'. :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Moonbase

I think its Penny who understands Sheldon the most...probably after his mother...

I can say that Amy treats Sheldon in a way no one does..like a man.....but I'm not sure if she understands Sheldon in a way no one does(not the science talk)....

I completely disagree. I would choose Leonard before her....HELL, ALL of them before her.

Monique

Finally a sensible comment from a shamy... and I totally agree. It is not real! In the real world Sheldon would be considered a neglectful bastard, who wants everything on his terms and someone, I would not let date my sister. In the TBBT world, it's just 'beautiful'. :icon_mrgreen:

Definitely. LOL. In the real world, I'd NEVER want a man like Sheldon for a boyfriend....but then again, he's freakin' CUTE so who knows? LOL.

Monique

Monique

Ditto!  And like I've said before Sheldon/Amy's relationship is not the general cookie cutter, everyday life relationship like most sitcoms explore.  Its different.  Its unique and intriguing because of it.

Definitely. LOL. In the real world, I'd NEVER want a man like Sheldon for a boyfriend....but then again, he's freakin' CUTE so who knows? LOL.

Monique

I like your honesty and I can't argue with that. :)

Ditto!  And like I've said before Sheldon/Amy's relationship is not the general cookie cutter, everyday life relationship like most sitcoms explore.  Its different.  Its unique and intriguing because of it.

I'm telling you. I have NEVER in my 29 years gave a shit about any TV relationship until the TBBT. LOL. It's so unique....just sucked me right in. LOL 

Monique

• Like 1

I'm telling you. I have NEVER in my 29 years gave a shit about any TV relationship until the TBBT. LOL. It's so unique....just sucked me right in. LOL 

Monique

Me too, I converted from a Lenny, to a Shenny then and will stay a SHAMY!!!

• Like 1

As long as he dodges those hopped up monkeys hell be fine. :)

But Penny doesn't vacuum or dust. Sheldon can't understand that and will never really relate to Penny. And she has no bio weapons in her fridgerator  - just baking soda and  a dead D cell battery.

Amy is the one.

Oh dear , I never said Amy is not the one... Amy is the only one but its Penny who knows Sheldon better....

Penny is the one for Leonard :)

I completely disagree. I would choose Leonard before her....HELL, ALL of them before her.

Monique

Well , I think there are many many examples in the show that support my statement that Penny understands Sheldon the most...(again I'm not refering to the science talk)

Now whether you agree or not is a different question....

Amy is the one.

(Hey, I learned how to do two quotes. Yay me!)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: I love the vague cynicism in this, hilarious.

BTW how do you make two quotes?

But see Phantagrae we are saying the same thing. Sheldon doesn't understand how to express romantic feelings and until he does their relationship looks more like a close friendship.

To anyone who thinks Amy is content. How do you get by the fact she has held hands with herself in desperation for physical content and she has to force Sheldon to hold hands with her or trick him into caring for her? She obviously wants a physical connection and she is paired with one who has no desires for her physically. He is not aroused by her nudity nor did he understand her runway model performance in the Christmas episode.

Oh and the last thing I would ever be is a Shenny shipper. It makes less sense than Shamy. Even though it is less believable now I am still in the Lenny camp. I don't mind brainstorming ideas with the Shennys but I do not want it.

No, we're not saying the same thing.

What I'm saying is that it is all new to him, not that he doesn't feel it.

He is obviously experiencing Eros love, but he is inexperienced and physically uncomfortable with the conventional ways of showing or expressing it. He obviously knew that the quote he used from Spider-Man was somehow the right thing to say to Amy, and he clearly chose to share it with her when confronted by the possibility of her rejection.

What's happening is that we're seeing a sort of foreign language of love with these two. What some might see as platonic expressions are big steps for these two. A simple handhold is practically the same as another couple snuggling on the couch.

I think that his emotional investment is there, it's just harder to interpret.

To paraphrase another great show (with another fantastic glacial relationship): The truth is there--you just have to know where to look.

And I do think Amy is content in the larger picture. While she may want more out of individual moments, she's content to work her "4-year plan". She may have to teach Sheldon that holding hands is not as bad as he has feared. While it may be new to him and he may fuss, he doesn't refuse.

And again, they consider themselves romantic partners. Just because they are only slowly exploring that physical aspect doesn't mean that their relationship looks platonic.

I have a close platonic friendship with a guy I've known for more than 30 years. When he's on this side of the planet, we'll often meet for dinner and talk for hours. I know what that kind of relationship looks like.

We don't think of ourselves as bf/gf and we don't act like bf/gf. We've never held hands or "cuddled" or made "eye-coitus" or quoted Spider-Man to each other.

I think Amy's self-handholding happened before she met Sheldon, IIRC.

We don't yet know exactly what Sheldon thinks about her physically, but he struggles with the issue of physical contact with almost everyone, not because he doesn't think about Amy physically.

I think there's a difference between not desiring her and not yet having the tools with which to express desire. Because of his issues, he finds it hard to express physical desires or to admit them to himself, but there's no real evidence that he has no desire for her.

Yes, most men would probably be at least somewhat aroused, but in this respect Sheldon is behind the curve, so he's not going to progress at the same pace as other men.

But I don't think that means that he doesn't feel love for Amy.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 4

That's exactly the point. Sheldon exists only in the show's world. We're not discussing what it would be like to have a Sheldon in real life. In the real world, probably no-one would want to be friends with someone as egoistic and annoying as him either, but hey, we're seeing them all do it from 6 years. Sheldon and Amy's relationship is beautiful in just the same way as Sheldon and Leonard's friendship is beautiful - from the perspective of TBBT's universe, where someone as zany as Sheldon exists and struggles to relate.

Edited by Pomita

Yeah yeah, I should have said some people are balking.  Good job catching me using the wrong phrase.

Also, you would be ignoring most of my posts on this subject because it is not about sex and Amy is not content.  She might have been at one time but now she pretends to still be ill to have physical contact with Sheldon.  That is not content.

I am quite sure the show will evolve them beyond this point but for right now they are not much better than close friends which, for Sheldon, is a large leap.  I mean we don't know all the things he has done for Leonard but we assume Amy has had it better.

And , again, I should point out that I don't care what Amy thinks of the other relationships.  I am the one that decides what is believable and what is not.  Sheldon still interacts with her as a close friend.

Lots of sitcoms were forbidden from displaying or mentioning sex.  Some of them required the couples slept in different beds but they still could sell them as adult couples.  The same is true for unmarried couples in the heavily censored years.  Even if they were supposed to be displayed as virgins there was ways to sell the relationship as adult.

Shamy is an unadult couple right now which keeps them at the close friend zone.

On the pretending to be sick to have physical content, I think she realizes this is the only way she's going to get any (contact) and she's taking what she can get. Same thing for the spanking, unless Amy just happens to like that sort of thing (as some people do).

I really think that Amy is probably perfect for Sheldon. Not for the reasons that the Shamy's have, but because her expectations are so low that she's willing to put up with Sheldon's being Sheldon. Any other woman would have been out of there long ago.

Edited by eirwinrommel

That's exactly the point. Sheldon exists only in the show's world. We're not discussing what it would be like to have a Sheldon in real life. In the real world, probably no-one would want to be friends with someone as egoistic and annoying as him either, but hey, we're seeing them all do it from 6 years. Sheldon and Amy's relationship is beautiful in just the same way as Sheldon and Leonard's friendship is beautiful - from the perspective of TBBT's universe, where someone as zany as Sheldon exists and struggles to relate.

Beautiful was not my choice of word, as you may have guessed. When I look at Sheldon, I see and relate to his discomfort. He does not want to touch and Amy does. That's an uncomfortable view. So far, his actions have mostly been reactions to her disappointment, in some form of another. This relationship has echoes of unrequited love and obsession underpinning it's innocence to me. I've have seen people waste their lives in this way over someone, and Amy long suffering patience feels a bit similar. I'm waiting for a sign from Sheldon, that is not prompted by Amy.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: I love the vague cynicism in this, hilarious.

Vague is a compliment in this context. Thanks :)

Also I was on safari on a mac and I think I pressed quote again on the second post and it appeared. Usually I'm on iPad or lame Nokia.

@Vasu knows.

Oh dear , I never said Amy is not the one... Amy is the only one but its Penny who knows Sheldon better....

Penny is the one for Leonard :)

Well , I think there are many many examples in the show that support my statement that Penny understands Sheldon the most...(again I'm not refering to the science talk)

Now whether you agree or not is a different question....

Hey I did it on the iPad too.

Also someone else nailed this. Penny is the mom and Leonard the dad.

Sheldon is Amy's one. Penny is Leonard's one, too. Penny "gets" Sheldon but Leonard is Penny's one. Leonard gets Sheldon too but they each have another one. Howard and Raj had no one but then Bernadette made Howard one of two. This left Raj with no one. Stuart has no one too. He doesn't get it, but Amy too is Sheldon's one.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Amy understands Sheldon in a way that no one else does. No matter what she wants from him physically, clearly, he is worth waiting for. Until the moment she realizes she is unhappy in her relationship with Sheldon, I'd say she is very content right now. Remember the first episode of the season? She threatened to leave Sheldon if he didn't show her that he was emotionally invested by saying something meaningful and from the heart. I don't recall her ever wanting to leave him because he won't have sex with her. Amy has already gotten Sheldon to do things during their relationship that he NEVER would have done otherwise. Sure, they're small things for others but for him, they're big steps forward. Just because he's moving at a pace that not everyone likes, doesn't mean he'll never get there and as of right now, Amy understands this.

Monique

How many times do I have to keep repeating myself?  I have said numerous times the relationship can certainly grow into something more I have only said that as of right now they are more like close friends.

Is there actual evidence she is content or is this something people just want to believe?  I see a girl flashing her genitals at her boyfriend as discontent.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

How many times do I have to keep repeating myself?  I have said numerous times the relationship can certainly grow into something more I have only said that as of right now they are more like close friends.

Is there actual evidence she is content or is this something people just want to believe?  I see a girl flashing her genitals at her boyfriend as discontent.

Amy: "He's not only my first boyfriend, he's also the best boyfriend"

btw: a bikini wax does not involve waxing the genital area, that's a "full brazilian wax" and she didn't had that one done. You can show a bikini wax without removing the underwear. Also, she had a lot of bandaids.

Regarding ther motivation to do it, saying it was out of "discontent" is an interpretation, since we don't know what she was thinking. She could have done it just to show it off with no ulterior motives other than just show her boyfriend "what she had done", which applying occan's razor would be the explanation since that is what she said.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 1

On the pretending to be sick to have physical content, I think she realizes this is the only way she's going to get any (contact) and she's taking what she can get. Same thing for the spanking, unless Amy just happens to like that sort of thing (as some people do).

I really think that Amy is probably perfect for Sheldon. Not for the reasons that the Shamy's have, but because her expectations are so low that she's willing to put up with Sheldon's being Sheldon. Any other woman would have been out of there long ago.

Not only are her expectations low but, according to her, her only other option is to be completely alone.  Now perhaps this will turn into one of the best romance stories of all time but there are a few reasons to scratch your head over it.

I get that comedy is more important than believability but making her sex-starved opposite Sheldon really makes that a hard sell.

Amy: "He's not only my first boyfriend, he's also the best boyfriend"

According to google that was last season.  Young relationships are dynamic not static.  I should also point out that actions speak louder than words.

She's content. Evidence? She's still with him and being extremely patient. Whether you feel they are at "close friend" status or not. They are both happy with what they have and that's all that matters right now. 

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

According to google that was last season.  Young relationships are dynamic not static.  I should also point out that actions speak louder than words.

doesn't the fact that she hasn't left him also speaks volumes?

I can tell you that in real life I would want to be friends with Sheldon. I would use a lot of words to describe him, but selfish and egoistic are not 2 of them. You see, in life there are people that call you sweetie and honey all the time and tell you that you can always rely on them, but when the time comes to be there for you, run away faster than the Flash. People like Sheldon are precious, no sweet words and shallow smiles, but always there when you actually need them. Might it be to lend money to Penny, to give a job to Raj,  to let Howard sleep on the couch, to try to comfort Leonard (even if in his own way), to just be there and share his dinner with Penny ( and Amy on Skype) when Leonard was dating Pria and Penny was feeling really blue, etc, etc.....

Sheldon may not hug and may sometimes be on the borderline to rude, but he does care a great lot about people. He might seem aloof,  but he is effective!! ;)

Besides, even though he tends to monopolize conversations, at least he has interesting things to say. There are people that talk hours about make up and liposuction!!

• Like 1