The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

6.12 The Egg Salad Equivalency (Jan. 3)

Your Episode Rating  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Well, when I meant emphasize the quirks too much I didn't mean it to the same extent you did. I actually like that he speaks with long convoluted sentences, knocks 3 times, and is kind of oblivious to slang and sexual references. He isn't always though, he doesn't always says coitus for sex (last one that comes to mind was when he was talking about Spiderman having sex with a spider), he does sometimes get sexual references (last one in this ep when Raj said "I'm going to give it to her good"), etc. And also, these writers are known for ignoring continuity for the sake of a laugh, with all characters.

The writers also said you can't really look at the very first eps to define Sheldon because he was very much a work in progress at that stage. Someone said they exaggerated his quirks when the writers had him become the annoying third wheel for Leonard and Penny, which is partly true. I'm personally not too bothered whether they emphasize the quirks or they ignore them for the sake of the plot, I just found that having a whole episode about it was a bit too much.

With Sheldon being the most popular character the show writers I believe feel they have to involve him heavily in every episode whether it's a storyline or some kind of WOW factor.

The exaggerated quirks are actually a part of the fully-developed Sheldon character. They were much less prominent in the first few episodes of season 1, and gradually settled into the groove by season 2. I think that season 3 had the maximum focus on his typical 'Sheldonisms' and the comedy therein. From season 4, the addition of new characters and storylines diluted the Sheldon-centricity to some extent, which worked well IMO. Episodes like Egg Salad and Parking Spot, which revolve entirely around one of his peculiarities, are few and far between now, and as long as its done occasionally I'm okay with it. It's good to remember at times that some things about him haven't changed.

• Like 1

I really liked. I vote ''very good''. 

Does anyone else think that show is losing its ''nerdness' with every season? It's becoming a soap opera IMO. D:

I want MORE GEEKY STUFF! 

I really liked. I vote ''very good''. 

Does anyone else think that show is losing its ''nerdness' with every season? It's becoming a soap opera IMO. D:

I want MORE GEEKY STUFF! 

Next episode will be :)

• Like 1

Leonard sings to Penny, "I'm Sorry!!! Alex hit on me, hit on me....."

What is the original rhyme or song. I have heard it many times but can't recall......

Leonard sings to Penny, "I'm Sorry!!! Alex hit on me, hit on me....."

What is the original rhyme or song. I have heard it many times but can't recall......

Mary Had a Little Lamb.  I know, it can be hard to place something familiar like that.

Sorry if this is already posted or mentioned in here, but when I watched the episode again, I noticed Penny looks straight into the camera twice in the same scene. :icon_razz:

snSG3Mc.jpg

crHFasr.jpg

Sorry if this is already posted or mentioned in here, but when I watched the episode again, I noticed Penny looks straight into the camera twice in the same scene. :icon_razz:   [img=http://i.imgur.com/snSG3Mc.jpg]     [img=http://i.imgur.com/crHFasr.jpg]
IMO and I watched this episode at least twenty-five times (I just love it),Penny isn't looking straight in to the camera. She is in a daze listening to Sheldon. Penny is in a daze because her biggest fear due to her insecurity is coming true. Alex hitting on Leonard and she is worried she is about to lose him.
  • Like 3

It's very difficult to determine if someone is actually looking at the camera, when they are facing the "fourth wall".  And, in that scene, Kaley is sitting facing the "fourth wall".    That is the normal location of the cameras, and if a character is turning their head from one side to the other or if they sit naturally, looking straight ahead,  it can appear as if they are looking at the camera.  Or, if an actor is upstage, looking downstage (for non-theatre types, think of this as Sheldon, who is in the hallway leading to the bathroom/bedrooms looking at Leonard at his desk in their living room), they are facing the cameras, again making it appear as if they are facing the camera.   It's much easier to catch someone looking at the camera if the actor is supposed to be looking off to the side, or slightly upstage and looks in the direction of the cameras, without any reason.   The Re-Entry Minimization is a perfect example of Kaley looking at the camera.  From the look and eye movement, it appears a nervous look at what's coming up (face in pie).  

It's very difficult to determine if someone is actually looking at the camera, when they are facing the "fourth wall".  And, in that scene, Kaley is sitting facing the "fourth wall".    That is the normal location of the cameras, and if a character is turning their head from one side to the other or if they sit naturally, looking straight ahead,  it can appear as if they are looking at the camera.  Or, if an actor is upstage, looking downstage (for non-theatre types, think of this as Sheldon, who is in the hallway leading to the bathroom/bedrooms looking at Leonard at his desk in their living room), they are facing the cameras, again making it appear as if they are facing the camera.   It's much easier to catch someone looking at the camera if the actor is supposed to be looking off to the side, or slightly upstage and looks in the direction of the cameras, without any reason.   The Re-Entry Minimization is a perfect example of Kaley looking at the camera.  From the look and eye movement, it appears a nervous look at what's coming up (face in pie).  
You know it took me about 5-6 times watching that episode to see her do that and to be honest, I thought it was cute. I agree with you in that for that brief moment we were seeing Kaley being nervous about the scene of putting her face in the pie. She was probably nervous because everyone wanted only one take so she fell out of character for a second, getting prepared to push her face in the pie.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think people are make way to much about whether or not some one is looking right in to the camera. But then maybe I'm just missing something, I don't know.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think people are make way to much about whether or not some one is looking right in to the camera. But then maybe I'm just missing something, I don't know.

I fully agree with this, that's why I mentioned the "fourth wall". And in all reality, if TPTB didn't like the looks Kaley was doing, they could switch to another camera view during post. After all, it is a multi-camera show and there are other views that could be shown.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if an actor looks in the camera or not and I am definitely not complaining about the acting in TBBT. This was just the very first time I noticed it in an episode, probably because it happened two times right after each other.

I liked the first half. Leonard collapsing the jenga was funny, his shocked reaction to Alex's proposal was great. The second half got a bit much for me. Sheldon was such an ass, normally they are careful not to take it too far and leave him with some innocent charm, not this episode. 

One thing I will say though… Sheldon is so jealous of Leonard. The moment he finds out his assistant was not 100% focused on him he starts with the insults. "you're pasty androgynous brand of sexuality" Where the hell did that come from? and why would he care a hoot? Alex liking Leonard won't affect him other than his damaged ego because we know Sheldon was aware that Leonard has no intention of taking her up on it.

"You can't tell a uterus from a unicycle"  :icon_rolleyes: says Sheldon to a guy who has been having sex solidly for years, when he's never even tried it! 

Does Sheldon have a thing for Alex? she hates him though. 

I was in agreement but not with the last line.

Sheldon had no thing for Alex. She was his lackey and he expected to have her undivided attention. Sheldon did not even want Alex sitting at the lunch table in s6e8.

I fully agree with this, that's why I mentioned the "fourth wall". And in all reality, if TPTB didn't like the looks Kaley was doing, they could switch to another camera view during post. After all, it is a multi-camera show and there are other views that could be shown.

It was very fleeting. I never noticed till it was pointed out.

I just watched this last night, Season 6 from a creative STand Point, the show was on absoloute fire. The series of episodes were some of the mos tlaiugh out loud epispdes in the history of tv imo. Sheldon's shortcomings, and ignorance to him making innapropraite comments towards Alex was just hilarous. I loved Penny's insecurities in this one too. I loved Leonard getting a rise out of an attractive young women hitting on him. LEt's be honest Leonard is more desireble then Sheldon haha. Fav moment of the episode was the end with Penny and molecules :D. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Not to Ramona, Kathy, Martha, Amy or Vanessa.

Well to be fair, Vanessa (and possibly Martha) never met Leonard.  

Here's a weird one for you guys (and  @3ku11, someone's looks are purely opinion.  One might see something another doesn't)....

I think (my opinion) Sheldon is better looking than Leonard BUT Johnny is slightly better looking than Jim.  Go figure that one out....:icon_razz: