The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Episode 2.15 (Feb 9th)

CBS has announced the details of episode 2.15, "The Maternal Capacitance", set to air next week (Feb 9th). Mamma Mia star Christine Baranski will appear as Leonard's mother.

"The Maternal Capacitance" - A disastrous visit from Mrs. Hofstadter brings Leonard and Penny closer together, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Monday, Feb. 9 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Get more information in our Episode Guide. Reruns will air February 16th and 23rd.

Schedule changes because of President Obama's press conference. East Coast viewers: Obama conference at 8ET, new episode of Big Bang at 9:30ET, following Two and a Half Men. This Monday, Feb 9th. West Coast viewers: BBT rerun at 8PT, new episode of Big Bang at 9:30PT, following Two and a Half Men. This Monday, Feb 9th.

GRRRR!!. I'd honestly would prefer them pushing the episode to next week!!!! The DVR will not be happy.. usually cuts off 5 minutes or so when they do this!

Major development over at the CBS "The Big Bang Theory" site, scroll down a bit and prepare to have your mind blown by the picture advertising this upcoming episode of "The Big Bang Theory"...needless to say it is BIG!

Hooooo... Pooor Lenard. It was good to hear some of Lenard's childhood, even if it was pretty bad. Lenard and Penny seemed to relate pretty well. Even if it took some alcohol. They had a blow out, but they both realized what happened and agreed to over look it. Sheldon and Lenard's mom was just odd, funny, but just dam odd.

The ratings for last night's episode are out. President Obama's Address meant The Big Bang Theory aired at the special time of 9:30, following Two and a Half Men. The Big Bang Theory posted a 8.3/12 rating, a series high, and retained 87% of Two and a Half Men's audience, way above what Worst Week, The Rules of Engagement and The New Adventures of Old Christine have done in the same slot. The Big Bang Theory finished first in the slot. Two and a Half Men posted a 9.5/14 rating, making it the top rated show of the night, also first in the slot. We'll have more detailed ratings later today.

OMG BEST EPISODE EVER!!! XDDD I've never laghed so much in a single episode!!! not even in panty pinata!! even if I support penny/sheldon, I just LOVED the episode xD and the shedon/leonad's mom scenes were just AWSOME xD RAJ AND HAWARD HAVE A GAY RELATIONSHIP!!! XDDDD just hilarious! I really liked someone has finally noticed! xD

This episode was just astounding. Hilariously funny (by far the best Howard and Raj scene ever) and poignant (oh, Leonard, a hugging machine?). Leonard's mom was a silly cartoon in a way ("I have to urinate"), but that cartoonishness was very neatly balanced by her connection with Sheldon. And the salt on the neck ... then the lime in Penny's mouth ... The only bit that felt a little bit off for me was the way Penny's mood changed so abruptly in bed. One moment she was completely bombed and horny, the next she was sober and just plain mean. I would have expected her bad reaction to still have a little tequila in it, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, this does match the comments from Killer Robot, when they suggested that they might enter her in the competition because she gets extremely angry very quickly. (Also, it seems unlikely that they'd still have that many clothes on at that point, but okay, it's network television ...) This episode earns a full five stars, ranking as one of the very best of the series so far. Hearty congratulations and thanks to actors, writers, director, and everyone else who made this one such a joy to watch. Steve

Thanks! And hey, why not head on over to the Wiki and help me add cool details from the show? Like the fact that Leonard has a younger brother named Michael (a tenured law professor at Harvard), and that Penny's dad's name was Bob. Now if we could only find out her last name ... Steve

it was so, so very nice to have some leonard/penny again. I like sheldon as a character, but couldn't stand if he and penny got together.

wow, am I the only sheldon/penny in the forum? XDDD btw, what were the songs they were singing in rock band? the one from the beginning of the episode and the one sheldon and leonard's mom were singing. I'm really bad with songs names xD

the first one is "red hot chillie peppers - under the bridge" and the second one is "anyway you want it" by journey

No waffles you're not, that was the most disturbing sitcom episode ever what the heck leonard wants to sleep with penny to surpress his childhood memories from his him and then suggesting that penny was doing the same thing towards her dad good that she was a little sober enough to know what he was saying that's just sick, plus it seems that penny/Leonard need alchol to get together if that's the case maybe they shouldn't get together, what's with penny's dad not realizing she was a girl until her first bra he's a little messed up in the head as well

I loved the singing scene with Sheldon and Leonard mother! It was so entertaining :D

I understand why Sheldon envies Leonard his mother. Leonards mother would be a perfect  mom for Sheldon and Mary Cooper the perfect mom for Leonard but then it wouldn´t be very funny anymore. `Cause I love it that they envie each other abouth their moms.

And I loved the dialogue between Penny and Leonards mother :D

Oh and I cracked up about this scene here in the cafeteria:

Leonard: Howard lives with his mother and Raj can’t speak to women unless he’s drunk. Go.

Beverley: That’s fascinating. Selective mutism is quite rare. On the other hand, an adult Jewish male living with his mother is so common it borders on sociological cliché.

Howard: It’s just temporary, I pay rent.

Leonard: He lives in the same room where his bassinet was.

Beverley: You know, both selective mutism and an inability to separate from one’s mother can stem from a pathological fear of women. It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy. -> that was the best :D *hahaha*

Howard: Say what? (Raj whispers in his ear) That’s basically what I just said.

Leonard: You brought your husband to work, you know the rules. Meesa thinking yousa looking pretty sad now too, betcha, betcha.

and then this dialogue between Howard and Raj after Leonard and his mother left:

Howard: Just for the record, we’re not in an ersatz homosexual relationship.

Raj: Well, then why didn’t you say that to her?

Howard: Why is it always my responsibility?

Raj: It’s not always your responsibility. I swear, this is the same thing you did at the comic book store last week.

Howard: I can’t believe you’re bringing that up.

Raj: I didn’t bring it up. You did.

Howard: We’ll talk about this later.

Raj: You always say that, but we never do.

You will notice that what we are aiming at when we fall in love is a very strange paradox. The paradox consists of the fact that, When we fall in love, we are seeking to re-find all or some of the people to whom you were attached as children.  On the other hand, we ask our beloved to correct all the wrongs that these early parents or siblings inflicted on us.  So, love contains in it the contradiction, the attempts to return to the past and the attempt to undo the past.”

--Martin Bergman (Crimes and Misdemeanors)

This episode was the one that changed the way I looked at Leonard and Penny's relationship.  Where as before I simply saw opposites attract, after this episode I saw something deeper.  I saw two people from opposite sides of life who sub-consciously have a psychological attraction towards each other.  They both see the exact opposite of the specific parent's who left them scarred during their childhoods (Though Leonard got it worse than Penny did).  They both see each other like a fun house mirror.

Penny offers Leonard someone close to him who provides him warmth, physical affection, unconditional love, and most importantly it's NOT based on anything analytical. Basically Penny is ALL of the things to him that his mother was not when he was growing up (Sheldon brings this up again in the 100th episode). The desire for Leonard to have this is probably one of the biggest reasons for him being so clingy with her.

Leonard offers Penny an unconditional acceptance of who she is, warts and all. These are things that go back to when Penny's father wanted a boy, and he stopped playing with her once she started becoming a woman. She would later manifest trust issues due to unfaithful relationships and that she was cheated on because she felt she wasn't good enough (again goes back to her father). Leonard is virtually the opposite of her father AND those failed relationships; and given Leonard's clingy nature I'm sure going too fast for her into something that feels "too good to be true" scares her due to being burned in the past.

Time has allowed BOTH OF THEM to work through their insecurities, and blossom into a beautiful relationship that while it seems mismatched on the surface, actually feels right IMO.

As for the rest of the episode, Christine Baranski was great as Beverly Hofstadter.  She and Sheldon also had great interactions together.

Thankfully Leonard and Penny's chances would get better as the season drew to a close.

• Like 4