The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MadeInAlaska

Most Important Character?

First off let me just say that I love this show.  It's my favorite show of all time.  The plot lines are riveting, the characters are so developed, the lines are hilarious and genuine and the acting is amazing.  I never get tired of watching TBBT

So I just joined this site today and this is my first post, so I apologize if someone else has already brought this up.  I was watching clips from the show on youtube today and it occurred to me that Penny might be the most important character on the show.  She shows up in the apartment building and things start to change.  Without her, the guys would just continue to stay in the apartment playing video games and going to the comic book shop.  Every growth the characters have made has been because of their interactions with Penny.

Howard was always being creepy and sexist when trying to talk to women.  He was always making sexual comments to Penny until one day she had enough and told him off.  It crushed him to be called creepy and pathetic but it resonated with him.  If Penny never got angry at him, he would have never changed.  Things would never have worked out with him and Bernadette if he treated her like he treated Penny in the beginning.  Penny is a strong enough character to ignore it and finally put him in his place and still be friends with him afterwards.

Leonard and Penny's relationship was important as well because of Leonard being a doormat for women.  He had to grow a lot as a person in order to have a serious relationship with Pria, even if it didn't work out.  Penny doesn't always treat him the best but he has been starting to stand up for himself a lot and demand better treatment in his relationships with women.  I don't think it works out with them because the spark just isn't there for Penny, but they will remain close friends.

I really love the dynamic between Sheldon and Penny.  There always seems to be a little chemistry between the characters.  I think it's because Penny is the first person to stand up to Sheldon.  He always walked all over the other guys whereas she stood up to him and gave him crap right back.  She holds her ground with him even if they aren't intellectual equals so I think he respects her for that.  I know a lot of people were wanting them to get together before Amy came along (and some still do) but I don't think they should.  They just don't have enough in common.  Penny and Sheldon have a special relationship.  She gets him to open up to his emotional side like no one else really can.  He gets over his aversion to human contact (somewhat) because of her.  He shares things with her that he can't talk about to the other characters.  He can be scared, hurt, and vulnerable with her.  He becomes more human because of her.  Without Penny, things would not work out with him and Amy.  He's meant to be with Amy, but he'll always have a special place in his heart for Penny.

I think the next big storyline will involve Penny helping Raj to get over his fear of talking with women so he can start to have adult relationships but I don't think she'll end up with Raj or Leonard long term.  I don't want this show to end because it's brilliant but it will someday.  I was trying to think of how it could end the best.  I think a fitting endning would be that it's a few years down the road.  Raj, Howard, Leonard, and Sheldon are all hanging out in the apartment with their wives/ girlfriends.  They are all talking, joking, and laughing and having fun together.  Penny opens the door and pauses in the doorway unnoticed.  The camera zooms in to a close up of each couple for a second before moving onto the next couple.  They are all smiling and in love.  She still hasn't been noticed by anyone.  She smiles to herself and quietly closes the door.  In the hallway she pauses for just a second.  She knows that she will always love them, but that she can't be a part of their lives anymore.  She wipes away a tear, smiles, whispers "goodbye", and walks down the stairs.  The end.

I'd love to hear comments.  I know my proposed ending is sad, but even though the show is a comedy, I don't think doing a funny ending would be doing the show justice after all that has happened.  This is my favorite show and just pray the writers give it a great ending when the time does come to end the show.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't think Penny is the most important character at all. We even had episodes without her and nobody even noticed. She is essential, is true, but, to me, Leonard's character is the whole center of The Big Bang Theory's world. 

Without Leonard, Penny would never have met the guys, without Leonard, Sheldon wouldn't have even met the other guys either, Sheldon would have never even have talked to Penny ever., Leonard is the glue that keeps them all together. He is the bridge and the foundation. Penny, Sheldon, etc are all orbiting around him.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 6

Sheldon! Without him I would really miss something. For me Sheldon is the heart of the show. He´s the most intersting charcater I´ve ever seen in a comedy series.

But thats just my personal opinion.

Now that we know who's important, how do we get rid of everybody else?

1) Amy gets pregnant by Bernadette's ex-boyfriend.

2) Howard gets run over by a bus, when Raj can't call out to warn him because women are around.

3) Raj is killed by Bernadette for not saving her husband.

4) Bernadette ends up in jail for killing Raj.

DISCUSS

PS I apologize to all those who know me.

I NEVER (well hardly ever) talk like this!

I"m sorry if I have offended anyone.

Tomorrow will be a better day!

• Like 1

Well firstly I would like to say, emphatically that really, they all play an important part in the show.  Without any of the main characters, there would be a "hole" there.  They each do their part very well.  I will say though, that there does have to be one, or so who do stand out a bit.  How can we not say that at least one is Jim's "Sheldon".  I have a teenage daughter who happens to have had a past before we adopted her that set her behind developmentally.  She does have some mild learning disability.  She is one who has a very pure mind about things, and is not judgmental in any way.  She also sometimes comes up with names for things that she can't easily remember the name of.  She has a hard time remembering the show is called "the Big Bang Theory".  So guess what she calls it?--  The SHELDON show.  yep, thaaaaats right........ 

• Like 1

Depends on what you mean with "important". Important in terms of storytelling or important because of like-ability so that they would lose a lot of viewers without it. If the former, I think Leonard, as he sets up the whole premise for the show. Sheldon on his own would have never befriended Penny and the whole premise of the street-smart girl influencing the lives of the nerdy scientists, and viceversa, wouldn't have been possible. In terms of popularity, Sheldon is arguably the most popular, if he didn't exist I don't think the show would be as popular as it is now. 

Edited by spook

I think every character contributes to the whole. I think if one character was more important then the rest the show would loose it's balance and cohesion.

NB I just put my tv on and TBBT is on at 11.00am. Way Hey!

Let's start with the least important.

Right now the least important characters are Raj, Howard, and Bernadette.  None of these characters have an active storyline.  Raj has never started and Howard and Bernadette has played out.  All of their lives are currently static and by themselves bring the least amount of humor to the show.  I am not ready to consider Stuart a main character yet because he is still useless.

This of course leaves Penny, Amy, Leonard, and Sheldon who have active storylines and Penny and Leonard serve as straight "men" to Amy and Sheldon.  They are the main reason people watch.   People will watch a show for pure comedy but even when some shows drag they will stay faithful because of the storylines.  However, here is where I personally drop Amy because I find the unromantic romance between her and Sheldon uncompelling right now and Sheldon is funnier with just about everyone else more than her.  It is hard for me to buy into a relationship when him giving her a bath meant no more to him than if he were bathing a pet and the viewing of her genital region makes him accuse her of being high on paint fumes. The joke when they are together is that he is oblivious to her desires but the reality of the show is that it is really just something new for him to be oblivious about.  It is a show cliche now.  Depending on how they handle it, I might care when they open him up more.  I dunno.   Right now I keep hoping they reboot her again and reset her back to Amy 1.0 who made the most sense.

• Like 1

Right now the least important characters are Raj, Howard, and Bernadette.  None of these characters have an active storyline.  Raj has never started and Howard and Bernadette has played out.  All of their lives are currently static and by themselves bring the least amount of humor to the show.  I am not ready to consider Stuart a main character yet because he is still useless.

This of course leaves Penny, Amy, Leonard, and Sheldon who have active storylines and Penny and Leonard serve as straight "men" to Amy and Sheldon.  They are the main reason people watch.   People will watch a show for pure comedy but even when some shows drag they will stay faithful because of the storylines.  However, here is where I personally drop Amy because I find the unromantic romance between her and Sheldon uncompelling right now and Sheldon is funnier with just about everyone else more than her.  It is hard for me to buy into a relationship when him giving her a bath meant no more to him than if he were bathing a pet and the viewing of her genital region makes him accuse her of being high on paint fumes. The joke when they are together is that he is oblivious to her desires but the reality of the show is that it is really just something new for him to be oblivious about.  It is a show cliche now.  Depending on how they handle it, I might care when they open him up more.  I dunno.   Right now I keep hoping they reboot her again and reset her back to Amy 1.0 who made the most sense.

I disagree. I think that people focus too much on the sexual aspect of their relationship where the real deal about it this year is that Sheldon is developing a lot from an emotional perspective within that relationship and, as a consequence, with others around him. Yes, the obliviousness is there just for laughs as a show cliche', but I don't think that's at the core of what Sheldon is going through right now. Amy yes, she's static at the moment. There's not a lot of growth on her part right now, but it might partially have to do with the fact that just as Sheldon is oblivious about her physical desires she is rather oblivious about his emotional growth. I think they're setting up for something to happen at some point down the road when the 2 obliviousnesses cross paths. At the moment I'm very happy with Sheldon. Amy, I love her, but she's a bit "meh" right now.  Not a lot going on on her front. Maybe they should get her involved in something at work to actually get her to do something besides waiting for the lightbulb to go off in Sheldon's head (or her own). 

• Like 3

I agree with most of your points but I do like Amy, I just don't trust what Lorre will do with her. I ignored the jokes about her showing her wax job, I thought it was kind of tacky. And yes, I am staying faithful to the stories because I have grown attached to the characters and show. Sometimes I wish Amy and Sheldon had just stayed crazy oddball friends, and never bothered to introduce this awkward sexual element in to the mix. It feels like it has been forced on both characters. 

Has anyone seen the animated film 'Mary and Max'? If you are an Amy fan you will love it. The little girl main character may as well be Amy in plasticine. And funnily enough she makes friends with someone ... different.

tumblr_kw8ls0TRzH1qa0yuj.jpg

Infact this came out in 2009 and Amy made her first appearance in 2009.... could Amy be a rip off of Mary?

Edited by Moonbase

I disagree. I think that people focus too much on the sexual aspect of their relationship where the real deal about it this year is that Sheldon is developing a lot from an emotional perspective within that relationship and, as a consequence, with others around him. Yes, the obliviousness is there just for laughs as a show cliche', but I don't think that's at the core of what Sheldon is going through right now. Amy yes, she's static at the moment. There's not a lot of growth on her part right now, but it might partially have to do with the fact that just as Sheldon is oblivious about her physical desires she is rather oblivious about his emotional growth. I think they're setting up for something to happen at some point down the road when the 2 obliviousnesses cross paths. At the moment I'm very happy with Sheldon. Amy, I love her, but she's a bit "meh" right now.  Not a lot going on on her front. Maybe they should get her involved in something at work to actually get her to do something besides waiting for the lightbulb to go off in Sheldon's head (or her own). 

We have to focus on it because they made her a sex-pot but it is not just a sex thing.  Other than a couple of nudity moments the dynamic of that relationship has not really exceeded his relationship with Penny yet.  It definitely has not exceeded his relationship with Leonard.  He didn't even get he was supposed to be alone with her on their anniversary.  I can't really root for something that doesn't really exist anywhere but on a piece of paper containing their relationship agreement.

I trust they will fix this moving forward but it is not a storyline that I care about right now.  I cared more when she was also asexual, now I am confused and her Penny lust doesn't help.

But I did say it was a personal choice to drop her off.  I realize that many other people are really rooting for them right now.  She has her foot in the door to being a really important character but for me she is not quite there.

Order of importance...

SHELDON

Leonard

Amy

Howard

Bernadette

Raj

Penny

Order of importance...

SHELDON

Leonard

Amy

Howard

Bernadette

Raj

Penny

Care to elaborate???

Care to elaborate???

I have recently laid out a number of reasons why viewers may not care for her, I am surprised you'd want to go there again so soon.

alrighty well attempt at having a casual debate failed... guess I'll have to try another topic

No need to have a debate on the importance of Penny in TBBT. I can take her or leave her sometimes myself, the way they have sloppily written her over the seasons. But I realize that's a very, very, very minority opinion or they wouldn't be paying Kaley 7+ million a year (and nearly 10 next year) or having most of this season being dedicated to her character.

Edited by BangerMain

No need to have a debate on the importance of Penny in TBBT. I can take her or leave her sometimes myself, the way they have sloppily written her over the seasons. But I realize that's a very, very, very minority opinion or they wouldn't be paying Kaley 7+ million a year (and nearly 10 next year) or having most of this season being dedicated to her character.

This.  I don't like what they have done with her.  I don't find their relationship believable right now but all of that aside I want them to finish that storyline because like it or not I am invested in it.   I am actually tired of it too.  It is like reading the same book for 6 years and still not knowing how much longer it will take to play out.