The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MadeInAlaska

Most Important Character?

Would love to see some more Sheldon and Bernadette scenes. There are only a handful where they interact at all. He's so big and she is so small, they look hilarious next to each other. Both characters are slightly crazy with a mean streak.

I think Howard and Bernadette could work as a spin-off post TBBT. I doubt they will remove them from the series with a few seasons left to run even to set up a new sitcom. Howard is too central, it's not like taking Cleveland out of Family Guy and have both run concurrently. TBBT could go on without him, but he is hardly on the peripheral. He would be missed.

I would miss Howard and Bernie. Stuart is no replacement for Howard in the boys scenes. He could replace Raj pretty easily though. But, that won't happen.

You can't spin off main characters unless the show is coming to an end.  You either spin-off B level characters (Frasier) or introduced characters (The Jeffersons).

How would you see TBBT working without Sheldon?

I'm talking after the show retires. :)

Would love to see some more Sheldon and Bernadette scenes. There are only a handful where they interact at all. He's so big and she is so small, they look hilarious next to each other. Both characters are slightly crazy with a mean streak.

I think Howard and Bernadette could work as a spin-off post TBBT. I doubt they will remove them from the series with a few seasons left to run even to set up a new sitcom. Howard is too central, it's not like taking Cleveland out of Family Guy and have both run concurrently. TBBT could go on without him, but he is hardly on the peripheral. He would be missed.

I would miss Howard and Bernie. Stuart is no replacement for Howard in the boys scenes. He could replace Raj pretty easily though. But, that won't happen.

The chance of success is less if they don't spin them off next year.  Once the show retires you are going to most likely see the the core cast begin to distance themselves from these roles... especially if it goes more than 8.  Right now you can do cross-over episodes to help build momentum for a new show.

I think the show would be cleaner if it lost some characters.  Howard is fixed.  He is happy, he has money, he has fame, he has a good woman.  His character is too normal now.  He needs to be plugged into a fish out of water premise in a new show.

I don't usually like spin offs, they very rarely work, Frazier being an exception. I would like to see Raj being brought forward as a more important character, He has had a few episodes where he features but he has not had a major story line. I think there must be some good situations the writers could bring to him.

What is a spin-off?? A new show with another name? Another sitcom? Do you mean they could make Howard and Bernadette principal characters of a new sitcom? I think I never saw a spin-off....only in cartoons like Timon and Pumbaa from The Lion King. Is it like that?

What is a spin-off?? A new show with another name? Another sitcom? Do you mean they could make Howard and Bernadette principal characters of a new sitcom? I think I never saw a spin-off....only in cartoons like Timon and Pumbaa from The Lion King. Is it like that?

Spin-off show is a show which has been derived from an existing show , with its focus on a particular part of the previous show (in this case Howard and Bernadette)

So yes it would be a new sitcom with another name(if they ever make one) where Howard and Bernadette would be the principal characters

Timon and Pumba was a TV spin-off of the film The Lion King and yes it is like this.

Another Example : Joey was a spin off from Friends. 

Spin-off show is a show which has been derived from an existing show , with its focus on a particular part of the previous show (in this case Howard and Bernadette)

So yes it would be a new sitcom with another name(if they ever make one) where Howard and Bernadette would be the principal characters

Timon and Pumba was a TV spin-off of the film The Lion King and yes it is like this.

Another Example : Joey was a spin off from Friends. 

Thank you so much  :)

I didn´t know they are doing this with real people too. I only saw cartoons so far....

What is wrong with having Sheldon and Amy have a spin off WHEN the show retires?  I guarantee you they are more popular and more profitable than Howard and Bernadette.  No offence but in the Hollywood talk I'm right on the money. :)

That is because clone shows have always worked better.

There have been many but I will throw out a few of the reasonable to very successful spinoffs:

Frasier

The Jeffersons

Laverne and Shirley

Mork and Mindy

Barnaby Jones

Police Woman

Trapper John MD

Maude

Angel

That is because clone shows have always worked better.

Angel

I can agree on all those except Angel...

Everyone says to me that Angel was better but I just don't think that is true at all. Buffy was funnier and the drama goes deeper. The episode when she finds her mother dead was incredible. Every second is played out in real time. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a sitcom and it totally worked. Then there's the musical episode. So good! Buffy started out a bit daft and funny and became so much more. Angel broods, Buffy falls into a dark depression and starts a purely sexual relationship with Spike. It goes from a story of a school girl to her becoming an adult. Its a right of passage story and is so underated IMHO.

I can agree on all those except Angel...

Everyone says to me that Angel was better but I just don't think that is true at all. Buffy was funnier and the drama goes deeper. The episode when she finds her mother dead was incredible. Every second is played out in real time. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a sitcom and it totally worked. Then there's the musical episode. So good! Buffy started out a bit daft and funny and became so much more. Angel broods, Buffy falls into a dark depression and starts a purely sexual relationship with Spike. It goes from a story of a school girl to her becoming an adult. Its a right of passage story and is so underated IMHO.

I wasn't commenting on the quality.  Angel ran for 4 or 5 seasons making it somewhat successful.  I think I stopped watching Buffy after 5 seasons.  I get sick of the tortured hero routine.

I wasn't commenting on the quality.  Angel ran for 4 or 5 seasons making it somewhat successful.  I think I stopped watching Buffy after 5 seasons.  I get sick of the tortured hero routine.

Ah you won't want to watch S6 then , that got extremely tortured :icon_redface:

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

I can see Stuart w a spin off.

Stuart finding love, relationship, his comic book store expanding

One of the hallmarks of a spin-off is they move elsewhere so the audience is not wondering why they don't see more cross-overs.  So he could have a comic book store but not there.

One of the hallmarks of a spin-off is they move elsewhere so the audience is not wondering why they don't see more cross-overs.  So he could have a comic book store but not there.

How about Stan Lee offers Stuart the opportunity to draw comic books for Marvel in New York?  :icon_biggrin:

How about Stan Lee offers Stuart the opportunity to draw comic books for Marvel in New York?  :icon_biggrin:

cool :icon_wink:

Stuart has a degree in Art, so they should show what he can do...I hope he can draw comics :)

I think that "most important" is difficult to specify. Jim does a brilliant job playing Sheldon, but it is his interactions with Johnny and Kaley's characters that really let him shine.  (Sure, he's amusing talking to himself alone in the apartment, but that gets old.)  Jim gets a lot of accolades but in my opinion the talents of Johnny, Kaley, and Simon are under-appreciated.  Johnny and Simon transform themselves into characters that don't really look like the actors at all.  Kaley's facial expressions are hilarious and she has excellent comic timing.

• Like 3

As for least important Stuart, I would like to see him go back to being the confident guy who told Penny to "blink twice if you're here against your will" and then traded a drawing for a date with her.  I don't like the schlub he's turned into.

For me, in terms of the whole setting of the setting of the series, Leonard is, to quote Amy "the nucleus of the group". It's just like what Yanina said , that without him, Penny would not even be talking to Sheldon nor with any of the guys (especially her point about Penny... that I did not even notice she wasn't in that episode when I first saw it back in season 4 and sometimes I can't even remember what episode was she not included). Without Leonard, Sheldon would not even be friends with Howard and Raj. And didn't they offer originally the role of Sheldon to Johnny and then he declined because he thought he can't do it and chose Leonard instead? And care to explain why Jonny's name was the first one to appear during the billing? Sheldon was not even the actual central character or even Penny. Sheldon was supposed to play the "weird roommate" to this guy who had a fling with the next door neighbor. So, okay, this is centralized on the three of them. But really, with the season 2 onward storylines, it's centralized on their friendship. Even Sheldon said that it's Leonard that made him like Penny.   In terms of the present setting, they are an ensemble cast and all of them play an important role. If you try to take out one of them, then it would feel like there's something missing.   Honestly, it all depends on how you see the show. If you feel you're only there because of Jim Parsons, then he would be the center of your universe. If you're there because you're allured by Kaley and Penny, then be my guest for saying that she's the main attraction. If I would also go with that line of reasoning, I'd say I might even stop watching if Mayim says she won't be back in the show ever (and I hope will not happen... not with all the things that has recently been developed that involves her character).
You got this so right that I can find little to add. The show was begun to revolve around Leonard and he is still the nucleus of the show. Penny was Leonard's dream girl who is now his soul mate and Sheldon is still the wacky roommate. Howard and Raj are Leonard's friends. Leonard is also the alpha male of the group and Penny is the alpha female. Leonard, Sheldon, and Penny are the core of the show and losing one would leave a hole in the show. After seeing Leonard chase Penny/Kaley for six seasons wouldn't it seem weird if Penny was replaced with another actor.

You got this so right that I can find little to add. The show was begun to revolve around Leonard and he is still the nucleus of the show. Penny was Leonard's dream girl who is now his soul mate and Sheldon is still the wacky roommate. Howard and Raj are Leonard's friends. Leonard is also the alpha male of the group and Penny is the alpha female. Leonard, Sheldon, and Penny are the core of the show and losing one would leave a hole in the show. After seeing Leonard chase Penny/Kaley for six seasons wouldn't it seem weird if Penny was replaced with another actor.

I agree 99%. Although Sheldon did say that Leonard made him like Penny I don't think that's entirely true. For most of the show she has always been his 2nd best friend.