Picard Or Adama?

The argument of who's the better captain Kirk or Picard has been done to death but I've never seen a discussion on these two. So if one were placed in the universe of the other who do you think would fair better (Picard in BSG or Adama in ST), or just who do you prefer in general? It doesn't just have to be these two either. I'd also like to hear what you think about Captain Kirk and Grand Moff Tarkin (GMT captaining the enterprise and CK running the death star).

Discuss :)

Picard is far better.

Adama, you see, is too emotional, crying about pretty much anything, the girl that he is.

But Picard can do logical choises, which are the correct choises when you are the leader of men (and women).

• Like 1

Picard is cool, calm and collected. He's the prefect leader but he's also a little unrealistic at times. Adama is more real. I feel like I'm seeing what it's really like to be responsible for others. But I'm not keen on reality so I'll go with Picard. Although my favourite Captain is Janeway. She's calm and caring. She knows about people and also has a little of Picard's steely cool. 

I think you mean battle star....

In all honesty, Kirk/Picard are used to a very high tech world at their finger tips.  Things are very defined, although there is intrigue, it never was a situation where you simply didn't know WHO you could trust.

I would go with Adama being the better leader in any situation, at least short term.  Picard/Kirk would have too steep a learning curve to cut it in the BSG world.

What a match up. Particle beam weapons vs artillery. But there would be a lot of respect.

Did Picard ever sweat? I think Adama would be all over him there. And he might even waterboard that Crusher kid. Which would not be cool in real life. Just mess him up a bit. Like tousle his hair or something.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Worst quality of Adama is that he is vindictive and nasty character.

-I mean if he thinks youre the enemy, he will kill you.

Of course Adama will not dirty his own hands, but instead sends Starbuck to eliminate you...

Picard would never stoop so low. If Picard thinks youre the enemy, he will invite you to tea (earl gray, please!) and then two of you will talk it over. No guns, no shooting, and no overacting adama style.

• 2 weeks later...
Worst quality of Adama is that he is vindictive and nasty character. -I mean if he thinks youre the enemy, he will kill you.   Of course Adama will not dirty his own hands, but instead sends Starbuck to eliminate you...     Picard would never stoop so low. If Picard thinks youre the enemy, he will invite you to tea (earl gray, please!) and then two of you will talk it over. No guns, no shooting, and no overacting adama style.
Picard was not playing for such high stakes. Umm uncompromising genocide maybe made Adama a little harsh you think?

And what about Adama being drunk all the time?

I mean the entire human race in his hands, and he gets drunk as a skunk on several times, leaving command to others.

People do drink when under pressure. BSG re-imagined (Olmos)was much closer to reality in depicting human behaviour. They even waterboarded people in that show and spaced them, then agonised about it.. It was completely contemporaneous with our reality at the time. And there is precedent. Churchill used to tie one on from time to time during WW2.

But fair enough, maybe Picard wouldn't do that.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Picard can comprehend new ideas and things in minutes.

Adama is a lot slower. It takes Adama days, sometimes weeks, to ingest some new piece of plot information. So, Picard is a lot smarter!

Also, Adama vacillates, and cannot make quick decisions. Which has left the fleet in danger more than once.

So, IMO, Adama is fit to captain only the ship SS Hole!

Apart from Adama and the Starbuck freak, I very much like the people in Galactica, and think it's a superb series, especially seasons 2 and 3.

Star trek I do not like, because the cast are so annoying do gooders. Only one I like is CAptain Picard.

Babylon 5 is the best of them all!!!

If you want a good laugh, see the pilot of Bab5 again. So bad! The "disco bridge" and the zoo-like alien quarters? Glad it got better fast.

The season two is lot stronger than season one. So, for new audiences, it might be better to start with season 2.