The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrsToad

Choo-Choo !

So, in my mutual love for trains,I'd thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone shared our love for trains as well...or,at least had any train-related things they luuuurve.

I have two things.

One, the movie "Throw Momma From The Train"

HILARIOUS

and:

Anyone else love riding trains,reading about trains, talking about trains?

Pleasey please don't let me be the only train lover here !!!!

:(

When I worked, I loved jobs I could get to by Metrolink. It was so refreshing not have a 2 hour drive (both ways).

I like trains, and trainstations. And model trains.

-never had money to buy a good model train, though, and now I'm bit too old to start building one. And I do not have room for it anyway...

I love to travel by train. Here in my country we don´t have passengers trains but when I travel I like to have this experience. I just travel by train in India (old, exotic  and emblematic) , in China (modern and very fast) in Peru (old and emblematic too) in Bolivia (very old and exotic environment ) in Argentina (train to the clouds, reach 4200 mt in 217 km trip) I went to Tibet by train (the world's highest railway)

And one of my dream is to get one day the Trans-siberian (the longest railway in the world)

Edited by Lissie

I like trains, and trainstations. And model trains.

-never had money to buy a good model train, though, and now I'm bit too old to start building one. And I do not have room for it anyway...

Train Stations are always very special places really. In France made me feel I was in the XIX century (actually I didn´t travel by train in France but I went to the train station only for seeing it). In Mumbay I could imagine I was at the time of British rule. In China I had the opportunity of seeing Chineses from all China in a single place and their differences. In South America local people are using them a lot so to be in the train station is an interesting way of learning about their culture.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't really like trains for long rides. But I know my prejudice is because when I was a kid, me and my family used to take a train to go visit family in Mendoza, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was a 28 hour trip, where most of it was through the desert. Even if the trains were closed, there was sand, everywhere. I remember the feeling of chewing sand all the time. Ugh. Horrible!

I do like model trains though. My dad purchased a set for me, when I was 1 yr old and it got me hooked. He gave me train sets all throughout my childhood.

Edited by Sursonica

I love going through model train catalogues, but the prices give me creeps. I mean the highest quality Roco locomotives for HO scale can cost over 500 euros!!! (HO is properly called H zero)

-but they are darn pretty ones.

BTW, if you like train stations, it is worthwhile checking their webcams. Many stations have high quality webcam feed that you can watch from your PC to see what's happening in that station. Just google (station name) webcam and you should find some.

HO and N-gauge. My Dad built them. Mum drove a car through one set and out the back wall of the garage, I think by accident. dad and I were watching first run Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in prime time when it happened. His last one was 6m x 3m. I have his N-gauge rolling stock now and will build a small set for my grandkids when they come.

I love to travel by train. Here in my country we don´t have passengers trains but when I travel I like to have this experience. I just travel by train in India (old, exotic  and emblematic) , in China (modern and very fast) in Peru (old and emblematic too) in Bolivia (very old and exotic environment ) in Argentina (train to the clouds, reach 4200 mt in 217 km trip) I went to Tibet by train (the world's highest railway)

And one of my dream is to get one day the Trans-siberian (the longest railway in the world)

No Orient Express?

Impressive traveling. You and my mom would get along great.

Few know this, but most towns have at least one very impressive model railway in it.

To get to know where your local model railways are hidden, google for your local model railway club. Most regions have one.

From this club, you get info, and pics of any local model railways, and their contact info.

Owners of model railways are always happy to show their rails to visitors, even on sunday.

Just do not bring kids of ages 12 or under. These are not toys...

And by the way, I'm talking about real model railways here, such that have in-scale buildings, working streetlights, and cunningly crafted mountain ranges on them.

No Orient Express?

Impressive traveling. You and my mom would get along great.

Well, even the Orient Express nowadays is specially a train for tourist and very expensive, but this too I want to know :) 

Few know this, but most towns have at least one very impressive model railway in it.

To get to know where your local model railways are hidden, google for your local model railway club. Most regions have one.

From this club, you get info, and pics of any local model railways, and their contact info.

Owners of model railways are always happy to show their rails to visitors, even on sunday.

Just do not bring kids of ages 12 or under. These are not toys...

And by the way, I'm talking about real model railways here, such that have in-scale buildings, working streetlights, and cunningly crafted mountain ranges on them.

are you talking about which country?

are you talking about which country?

Every country has active hobbyists on this field.

Even here in finland prety much every small town has one model railway freak.

But most model railways are found in england, germany, and USA.