Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn’t want to aid in this pointless discussion because I’d prefer to not start bleeding from the eyeballs in frustration. However, merely reading it is making me try to chew my face off. So I’m rat

It is breaking a rule.  Common etiquette.  If you see a little girl having a tea party with stuffed animals do you break up her fun by making her see reality?  What the admin here has done is said you

I think it's fair to respect Tripper's guidelines. And people need a comfortable place to go and discuss their thing or they will leave. There is an economics concept of a public good. Shipping pairin

Posted Images

We do not know if Penny heard or not.

From what she said plus the writers having her go to the kitchen it is very likely she did not.

Otherwise the writers had no reason to send her to the kitchen.

It can also be  the writers will not follow up on what they did.

Too much respect would be bad since the quips they toss at each other can be flirtish like in Moonlighting.

Also has Sheldon ever challenge Penny and won?

Video games, prank wars(even if Penny cheated), pictionary  and wresting Penny wins.

I know there must be a time but off the top of my head I can not think of it.

@Doug True the writers can give themselves outs: Penny going to the kitchen hearing/not hearing , saying if told Leonard she loved him, he'd take it the 'wrong' way. But that doesn't mean they'll follow through. I have no idea.

@Ar Diem   writers need to look to the classic Thin Man films with William Powell and Myrna Loy to see how a married couple, can argue, make wisecracks, be in love & still generate excitement. Sadly they write couples like Howard & Bernadette: the man reverts to being a submissive son, the woman the mother. And of course there is absolutely no sexual tension. If Penny & Sheldon got together, they'd still fight and argue, that's fun. And so far I can't remember when Sheldon beat Penny at a challenge. Even paint ball; she's the superior shot.

So we are supposed just let these people lie to themselves? I know you have crazy shenny people saying they are being bullied but that is not the case at all. Saying what Kaley Cuoco and the Creator's themselves have said isn't bullying. It isn't breaking any rules.
Objectively, would have forecasting the Raj/Penny thing been as wrong? Was it as un-telegraphed by the show as this would be? Ms Cuoco did say once Penny was going to work through all the boys? ;).

No, I totally disagree with myself here. Hmmm.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

@Ar Diem   writers need to look to the classic Thin Man films with William Powell and Myrna Loy to see how a married couple, can argue, make wisecracks, be in love & still generate excitement. Sadly they write couples like Howard & Bernadette: the man reverts to being a submissive son, the woman the mother. And of course there is absolutely no sexual tension. If Penny & Sheldon got together, they'd still fight and argue, that's fun. And so far I can't remember when Sheldon beat Penny at a challenge. Even paint ball; she's the superior shot.

I don't dispute that and I don't think him respecting Penny would require they stop their exchanges.  The only value Penny has in his eyes is that she can provide insight into social situations that he does not understand.   However, since he thinks society should bend to him because he is superior he views her help as a hassle he must endure.

She beat him at pictionary and paintball.  The feud was ended by Leonard.  That is not enough.

I don't see how you bring him to her in a way that is believable.  He doesn't have to respect her completely he doesn't even respect Amy completely.  Amy's beauty in his eyes is her brain.  That is why I think Penny needs to have some sort of hidden talent so he can view her as beautiful.  Otherwise how do you get over that hurdle?

I agree with

I don't dispute that and I don't think him respecting Penny would require they stop their exchanges.  The only value Penny has in his eyes is that she can provide insight into social situations that he does not understand.   However, since he thinks society should bend to him because he is superior he views her help as a hassle he must endure.

She beat him at pictionary and paintball.  The feud was ended by Leonard.  That is not enough.

I don't see how you bring him to her in a way that is believable.  He doesn't have to respect her completely he doesn't even respect Amy completely.  Amy's beauty in his eyes is her brain.  That is why I think Penny needs to have some sort of hidden talent so he can view her as beautiful.  Otherwise how do you get over that hurdle?

If you're talking about 'beauty' way back in Season 1 Sheldon says of Penny that no one that attractive can be so skilled at a videogames (it was the Halo episode).  Sheldon has never said that he finds Amy physically attractive, (this is now the ongoing issue of the S/A couple: she wants sex; he's oblivious)  rather he enjoys her company. You're confusing two different things.

I agree Sheldon despises everyone, even Amy when she had her big paper published as he wasn't interested in Biology. Though he did respect Dr. Plimpton way back in season 3.  I think it would be comedically funny to find Sheldon in the grip of sexual attraction and not have a rational explanation. But then I thought the writers should have patterned his emotional growth along the model of Spock....

Re: sexual tension.  I agree that the snarky banter is very fun and flirty, but what about the real issue that would be sex in this relationship?  Penny is a very sexual being.  How long would she be able to endure a relationship without sex?  And how would she succeed in getting Sheldon through puberty (lol) where Amy is currently still struggling? One of the things that makes sexual tension fun is that it isn't consummated and leaves you wanting more; but the only way I can think of Penny succeeding is to basically cut to the chase, strip down and molest him, and then all the tension would be gone.  

(Also, that would be just so wrong on so many levels.)  :D

Edited by Europa

Re: sexual tension.  I agree that the snarky banter is very fun and flirty, but what about the real issue that would be sex in this relationship?  Penny is a very sexual being.  How long would she be able to endure a relationship without sex?  And how would she succeed in getting Sheldon through puberty (lol) where Amy is currently still struggling? One of the things that makes sexual tension fun is that it isn't consummated and leaves you wanting more; but the only way I can think of Penny succeeding is to basically cut to the chase, strip down and molest him, and then all the tension would be gone.  

(Also, that would be just so wrong on so many levels.)   :D

Doug and I both thought this year so far was like high school; with Sheldon going through it with Amy. The writers are maturing him; making him aware of sex, sexual innuendo etc. Part of that is realizing that sexual attraction can be illogical & that would put Sheldon in a very funny place, where he's just offended that he's not homo novus and has to struggle with sexual feelings. It has to come from Sheldon.

Penny jumping Sheldon would be gross, just like it was with the Raj/Penny episode. It would be subtle, as Doug suggested like the Werewolf Transformation episode, the attraction has to be realized by Sheldon & resisted! that's the humor.

If you're talking about 'beauty' way back in Season 1 Sheldon says of Penny that no one that attractive can be so skilled at a videogames (it was the Halo episode).  Sheldon has never said that he finds Amy physically attractive, (this is now the ongoing issue of the S/A couple: she wants sex; he's oblivious)  rather he enjoys her company. You're confusing two different things.

I agree Sheldon despises everyone, even Amy when she had her big paper published as he wasn't interested in Biology. Though he did respect Dr. Plimpton way back in season 3.  I think it would be comedically funny to find Sheldon in the grip of sexual attraction and not have a rational explanation. But then I thought the writers should have patterned his emotional growth along the model of Spock....

I was thinking along the lines of inner beauty but you are right and it means she needs something big to be seen as worthy to him. Not to mention the problem of her having no interest in him.

I am trying to imagine them pon farring him.  Even if they did he would go for a worthy mate.

Explain what you think his emotional growth has been.  I don't see it.  I think he has shown wide ranges of emotions long before now.

Words just fail me!

You obviously can. Why don't you just put them on your ignore list?!

I know I am new here and I don't have a feel for how this board is moderated but this is screaming for the ban hammer.  Slick is an agenda troll and I think we should steer clear.  He ignores the fact that even they believe it will never happen and keeps frothing at the mouth over some innocent make-believe.  No one can look at that post and come away thinking he is a healthy contributor to this forum.

2 cents.

I agree you need a trigger just not a talent.

A big Halo tournament they win, a part in a sci-fi movie for Penny, Sheldon’s Memaw, another prank war all come to mind.

Thinking about it Sheldon has demonstrated respect for two groups of people Physicists and actors who play science fiction characters. Penny does not really fit the first but could the second.

(Also, that would be just so wrong on so many levels.)   :D

I actually think that would be funny and allow growth on Penny’s part.

Slow IMO is good.

Penny is a lot more practical and knowledgeable both about both sex and Sheldon.

Naked would not work with Sheldon but T’Pol, Padmea, Catwoman, Black Canary or Star Sapphire might succeed.

P.S. thanks Google 10 minutes and found interesting females for most of Sheldon’s literary interests. Flash still eludes me only normal wives no costumed girlfriends.

Sheldon already associates Penny and sex giving her an advantage. Remember his comment about Penny wet t-shirt contests and hypnotists.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm actually trying to get the other Shennys to come back to enjoy this thread; they've all fled, which to me is just sad....

I agree too many have left recently.

• Like 1

I agree you need a trigger just not a talent.

A big Halo tournament they win, a part in a sci-fi movie for Penny, Sheldon’s Memaw, another prank war all come to mind.

Thinking about it Sheldon has demonstrated respect for two groups of people Physicists and actors who play science fiction characters. Penny does not really fit the first but could the second.

I considered the acting gig but then I remembered he had no interest in interacting with Summer Glau.  Add to that it would be a hard sell for her to have failed for so long to get an important role.  That is why I went the direction I did making her naturally gifted at music.  The only problem there is that usually they are a bit quirky too but unless you are exposed to a lot of them like I have been you might not know that. 

But let's say they go this route.  What makes her want him over Leonard?  Leonard loved her as a waitress. Does she want a guy that just loves her for a role she plays once she is successful?  That is why I made Sheldon part of her journey in my scenario.  It gave Amy a reason to be jealous, it put a dent in Leonard, it opened Sheldon up to Penny, and Penny up to Sheldon.

I considered the acting gig but then I remembered he had no interest in interacting with Summer Glau.  Add to that it would be a hard sell for her to have failed for so long to get an important role.  That is why I went the direction I did making her naturally gifted at music.  The only problem there is that usually they are a bit quirky too but unless you are exposed to a lot of them like I have been you might not know that. 

But let's say they go this route.  What makes her want him over Leonard?  Leonard loved her as a waitress. Does she want a guy that just loves her for a role she plays once she is successful?  That is why I made Sheldon part of her journey in my scenario.  It gave Amy a reason to be jealous, it put a dent in Leonard, it opened Sheldon up to Penny, and Penny up to Sheldon.

This season is in large part about Penny feeling insecure that Leonard finds her dumb. Even from the 1st time they got together she worried she was too dumb for him. And he's never helped her really: Pennyblossoms,the  shoe app were all Sheldon. Leonard just pressures her to get a college degree, what he respects, not what Penny needs. Last season when she beat Leonard at chess he never admitted or congratulated her. He's a little man; Sheldon thinks everyone is not as smart and helps Penny. Big difference.

Really there are plenty of out of work actors who get a break late, not surprising. Doug I like Penny getting a sci-fi role best, it would  tie her in with her nerdy interests and impress the heck out of Sheldon, who could come on set and meet his icons or get a VIP pass to Comicon :icon_razz:

But really T'Pring beats T'Pol anyday!

• Like 1

Really there are plenty of out of work actors who get a break late, not surprising. Doug I like Penny getting a sci-fi role best, it would  tie her in with her nerdy interests and impress the heck out of Sheldon, who could come on set and meet his icons or get a VIP pass to Comicon :icon_razz:

It is a fictional world and they can play it any way they want but most women do not get discovered late and especially not after so many tries.  Hollywood is very male centric.

Sheldon is very hung up on genetics which is a hump they would have to get over for him to consider Penny worth mating with.  Currently an acting gig would only make her better friend material in his eyes.

To solve my own problem you could make one of Penny's grandparents a great scientist that died before Penny was old enough to remember him and make a cousin a great scientist.  I think she still needs a vehicle to express intelligence or talent but perhaps not as big of one because she would have potential in her DNA.

It still leaves the problem that she has no reason to desire him though.

It is a fictional world and they can play it any way they want but most women do not get discovered late and especially not after so many tries.  Hollywood is very male centric.

Sheldon is very hung up on genetics which is a hump they would have to get over for him to consider Penny worth mating with.  Currently an acting gig would only make her better friend material in his eyes.

I have no idea how hollywood works, but there are female producers. Also Penny dressed up in high sci-fi costuming can kick-start Sheldon's libido. Remember as Doug pointed out, he already associates her with sexuality. You're depending too much on the self-conscious super-ego, the id wants what it wants. That's the humour. Same for Penny. The writers did that superbly with Amy and Zack in The Alien Parasite Hypothesis.

Genetics is the same as Sheldon's mysophobia, it's important only when the writers want it to be important. Anyway, Sheldon is no guarantor of intelligent offspring as he admitted in the cut-off 1st episode where he decides to withdraw his sperm from the high IQ sperm clinic. Also both Amy and Bernadette are smaller and wear eyeglasses, for a taller more perfect physical specimen, one with intelligence too (Penny did beat Leonard at chess and Sheldon at pictionary, wrestling, paintball) Penny is the optimal choice.

• Like 1

Rewatching The Higgs Boson Observation Thursday was interesting. It was still a relationship episode as opposed to the later attempts to mimic classic seasons 1-3. so it had amusing moments but not as good.  Penny says Leonard tries very hard at sex and that he's not really that funny. Whatever happens to this couple, both of them deserve better. I liked Alex, still do, it would be nice to see her interact with the others.

• Like 1

Hey Doug; what do you think this means, you understand the subtext far better than I; it must be from a recent TV guide...

From TV Guide:

Speaking of sex and Sheldon--will he ever lose his virginity? Mayim Bialik's Amy is determined to get him in the sack, and she is turning up the heat in recent episodes. But might that hookup ruin a good thing? "Maybe so, and we're mindful of that in the writers room," Molaro says. "We're taking their relationship in baby steps and slowly going towards something. But that something--whatever it is--won't happen for a long time. So don't worry about it now!"

I do enjoy the dynamic these two have. Watching them spar about the Pennyblossoms they have such excellent antagonistic chemistry - when she zings him with Radiohead makes me laugh every time.  He thinks he's better than everyone, but has to acknowledge her superior knowledge of certain things - unimportant things, lol.  

• Like 1

I do enjoy the dynamic these two have. Watching them spar about the Pennyblossoms they have such excellent antagonistic chemistry - when she zings him with Radiohead makes me laugh every time.  He thinks he's better than everyone, but has to acknowledge her superior knowledge of certain things - unimportant things, lol.  

Europa I do hope for the spring they bring back some of these classic sparring scenes; they do have wonderful chemistry. Panty Pinata was one of the best shows....

Rewatching The Higgs Boson Observation Thursday was interesting. It was still a relationship episode as opposed to the later attempts to mimic classic seasons 1-3. so it had amusing moments but not as good.  Penny says Leonard tries very hard at sex and that he's not really that funny.

The sex comment stood out for me. The one constant between Leonard and Penny is their sex life. She has made other remarks about their love being boring and whatnot but we always knew they agreed in the bedroom and did a lot of their making up there. I took this one comment as Penny's jealousy talking but if there are any others in the future and I might start to wonder.

• Like 1