The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
annieogly

Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

This morning when I got up there was an announcement on the CBS Facebook page to say BBT got five nominations for the People's Choice Awards.

Best Comedy Show
Best Comedy Actor - Jim
Best Comedy Actress - Kaley (;)
Best Bromance
Best Gal Pals

Jim always wins, good luck Kaley!!!!
  • Like 4

Well its like Sheldon in his profession he is a genius, but when it comes to relationships he has the maturity and intelligence of a 12 year old, Penny is more smart in that regard. I think them playing board games, reading comic books e.t.c. Is just a fragment of their identities, being adolescent outside work means nothing, they are allowed to fun I suspose, with the A/B scene, I diddnt see any immature, adolescent behaviour just two women having fun regardless if their intellectual capacity. We have been told from the pilot that these characters are geniuses in everything but their love life and conversing with people. And I beleive they have been replacing those interests with more intellectual pursuits, last year you saw a change in the show when a lot of the couples hosted dinner parties, they may not be intellectual pursuits, in the techincal way, but they were a sign of the characters maturing in their relationships. I think these characters are very intelligent when it comes to their profession and line of work, but they are still a work in progress when it comes to other aspects of their life, so that is why in comparison they may come across adolescent and immature, like A/B did in S7 ep 1. Doesent bother me, I dont think they need to increase their culture input for intellectual development, they dont need to do that IMO.

It's strange, when I come on this site, my slightly outrageous side comes out! @3ku11, that is tosh! Sheldon does not have the 'maturity and intelligence of a 12 year old'! Sheldon is a genius in all aspects of his life. His Aspergers means that although he has great intellectual ability, and has exactly the same emotions as the rest of us,he is limited by not having the mature neural pathways to express those emotions, the are expressed through 'adolescent' networks, and you can tell by the way he twitches, this frustrates him. I believe the smartest people on the planet are in the age range; 14-34 years(lets say!). They have all read great books, seen great films,appreciate art and culture, etc, and their minds are at their peak performance. So while the other characters aren't on the same intellectual level as Sheldon(and Ramona was right, they are holding him back, and distracting him(AMY!)!), they would not continue to converse like thirteen year olds(unless this show is only being aimed at thirteen year olds, or the writers have become plain lazy!). Also people aren't very intelligent at work, and then become 'adolescent' at home. Family Guy is actually funnier, and makes references to all aspects of culture,politics and history(ie: it appeals to all ages, and a wide knowledge base!), and it's only an animated comedy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdW4xaHCwc   just to show that TBBT cast appreciate Family Guy, even though they usually make fun of them!  

• Like 1

Yes, the Amy/Bernie scene at the end was a bit crap... I was actually astonished by the laziness of the joke. Bit on the nose.

Yes! This! You nailed it in three words Willo! I hate being told why something is funny, I'm perfectly capable of working the joke out myself. Perhaps the spirit of Sheldon climbed inside the writing team that day, or they've been writing him so long it's rubbing off!

• Like 1

Jim is acting, brilliantly, and I can understand why some people on the spectrum might not like this(he exaggerates and hams it up, for comic effect), but Sheldon is a Gateway Character, who allows us on the outside an insight into Aspergers. 'both emotional poverty and an aversion to company are not symptoms of autism, but consequences' (David Mitchell). 'We seem to act younger than our age', 'your belief that our feelings aren't as subtle and complex as yours. Because how we behave can appear so childish, you tend to assume that we are childish on the inside, too', Our feelings are the same as everyone else's, but we can't find a way to express them.......it's as if we're remote-controlling a faulty robot'!(Naoki Higashida)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4qKZpYybI  Nice analogy Shelbot!!!!

Edited by gaqo

Jim is acting, brilliantly, and I can understand why some people on the spectrum might not like this(he exaggerates and hams it up, for comic effect), but Sheldon is a Gateway Character, who allows us on the outside an insight into Aspergers. 'both emotional poverty and an aversion to company are not symptoms of autism, but consequences' (David Mitchell). 'We seem to act younger than our age', 'your belief that our feelings aren't as subtle and complex as yours. Because how we behave can appear so childish, you tend to assume that we are childish on the inside, too', Our feelings are the same as everyone else's, but we can't find a way to express them.......it's as if we're remote-controlling a faulty robot'!(Naoki Higashida)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4qKZpYybI  Nice analogy Shelbot!!!!

Have you seen Community? I think Abed is a better example of someone with aspergers than Sheldon. Incidentally, he's another of my favourite characters. I'm gutted this is their last season.

@Moonbase Not seen Community, not sure if they show it here, and I've given up on most Tv, but I'll check it out somewhere. I'm just glad that a larger variety of characters are appearing, and not just the plastic(sometimes literally!),perfect people! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA   

@gaqo You might be interested to know that a series debuted here over the summer in which the lead character is explicitly described, at least in the press notes, as having Asperger's. Although it sounds like, in the article below, that the show's creators are being somewhat coy about it now, not actually using the word Asperger's, instead referring to her "unusual personality." Why do you think this is?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/the-bridge-producers-and-diane-kruger-on-sonyas-aspergers

@purr(x3) Yes I saw The Bridge! I'm semi-addicted to Danish/Swedish crime drama(and even Borgen). They have the sort of postmodern referencing, that makes a programme interesting(something TBBT lacks), because we see how all the elements play off each other, in context. Yes I thought Saga was an intriguing character. Sometimes when someone indicates that the character may be acting a certain way, because they have Aspergers for example, I have to re-watch it, to see, I'll do that! Someone said that Elizabeth Salander had Aspergers, and I recently again watched The Millennium Series, but I just thought she was an intelligent, angry(for good reason), avenging angel(good use of taser!). I've said before that writers won't specifically label someone as having Aspergers, for legal reasons, but it could be for other reasons; maybe it limits them, or maybe they're worried about not getting it right. From what I read people with Aspergers are fed up being 'hidden', unknown. As they say it's just another personality type.  

Lisbeth Salander was diagnosed with Aspergers in the book I believe, although it may have been a cover to protect her father who had political immunity. It sounds like you've watched the trilogy, so this won't be a spoiler, but in the last book, Stieg Larsson was dropping hints that she was some sort of genetically engineered super-soldier (like her father, who was part of a eugenics programme). He kept dropping in paragraphs about Amazons (who were female archers with their right breasts removed in order that they did not get in the way of firing arrows) and if you consider what she was able to endure throughout the trilogy, plus her pterygoid chest, you can imagine that her seeming lack of emotion and perfunctory communication would fit with this idea (if that's where Larsson was going, but we'll never know sadly).

On a much lower-brow note, have you seen any of the Doc Martin ITV series? Martin Clunes' eponymous character is supposedly on the spectrum.

Oh, Sherlock Holmes too, he's another.

All this talk of the potentially "limiting" effect of an onscreen Asperger's label reminds me of a woman I knew some years ago on a vastly different forum who self-identified as an "Aspie." While she readily acknowledged that certain things were difficult for her, like talking on the telephone or getting a joke etc., she positively bristled at the notion that she was disabled or limited in any way. She actually viewed Asperger's as being empowering and, in fact, often referred to it as her "super power," in that she could summon a laser-like focus to the task at hand as well as other things. She raised a family, ran a successful business and employed a number of adaptations to overcome the few things that were difficult for her.

I know one person's experience is not necessarily representative of an entire community, but it provides a perspective that challenges the notion that it's always preferable to use euphemisms to define characters with Asperger's.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, are we having a serious discussion over here?

If I may just interject....LOOK writers, Penny's holding a hair accessory. DID she make that herself? SHE DID? It's almost as if she's capable of using glue, or some weird shit like that...

GET IT TOGETHER.

sheldon-penny.jpg

EDIT - SEE? I put the damn picture back. Although I thought the first one was funnier...wherever the hell it's gone...

Edited by Count Wally de Honk
  • Like 2

If I may just interject....LOOK writers, Penny's holding a hair accessory. DID she make that herself? SHE DID? It's almost as if she's capable of using glue, or some weird shit like that...

GET IT TOGETHER.

2x18-The-Work-Song-Nanocluster-penny-and

It was cute but Penny should have got a production line going. She was taught by the best!

I believe they dumbed her down with the introduction of the new female characters. They created a contrast between her personality and the other girls but robbed her of her street smarts in the process. All it's done, is make Penny the outsider. There's no reason for Leonard, who is a genius, to date a girl that stupid.

Oddly enough, and I know this is a shenny shipper thread, they have done a similar thing to Sheldon. For the first time they are the 'sad cases' of the show, who need help from their 'better and wiser' halves. Therefore more similar to each other, than they have ever been.

• Like 4

GET IT TOGETHER.

2x18-The-Work-Song-Nanocluster-penny-and

Maybe there is even a picture of her actually making Penny Blossoms with a <gasp> glue gun

• Like 2

It was cute but Penny should have got a production line going. She was taught by the best!

I believe they dumbed her down with the introduction of the new female characters. They created a contrast between her personality and the other girls but robbed her of her street smarts in the process. All it's done, is make Penny the outsider. There's no reason for Leonard, who is a genius, to date a girl that stupid.

Oddly enough, and I know this is a shenny shipper thread, they have done a similar thing to Sheldon. For the first time they are the 'sad cases' of the show, who need help from their 'better and wiser' halves. Therefore more similar to each other, than they have ever been.

This may be a Shenny thread but most of the contributors are Sheldonites. Chances are, if there was a Sheldon/Wil Wheaton fanciers thread, we’d be cluttering up that instead. I find the idea of Shenny quite fascinating and oddly beautiful, so I have no problem being called one, from time to time, but TECHNICALLY…see above.

The question of whether Sheldon’s changed (he has) and if so (so), is this change for the better or worse (worse), is indeed a different kettle of cats in a bag on the back of a dead horse, that I, for one, keep flogging with increasingly limp wrists.  It seems blindingly clear to me, however, that you don’t go from wanting to spend the rest of your life in the sole company of a fictional character (as I did with Sheldon S1-4), to wanting to punch them in the face, over the course of a single season, without some due cause.

He has no nobility left whatever. He fluctuates between being incredibly mean-spirited, and incredibly immature. He seems to have about 2-dimensions, and they’re both sucky dimensions. But what’s fatal from a writing point of view, is that for me and a hell of a lot of other people, he no longer feels even vaguely like a believable character.

He may be “funny”, but then CARICATURES often are. He’s a shambles and a mockery of his old self. And his old self was utterly remarkable.

I thought, and hoped Vintage Sheldon had returned permanently after his brief reappearance here and there in the first three episodes, but my fellow depressed Sheldon fans with access to recent episodes have informed me this is fallacious.

There’s a fair few comments on this board (and ONLY on this board) saying Sheldon’s maturing…How people are managing to square this strange belief with the observable fact that his general behaviour over the past 2 seasons has been monstrously callous, childish, sulky, obnoxious, undignified and, quite frankly, completely idiotic, is beyond me…

The new Sheldon is just an oblivious goofy schmuck. I wish him well, but I’m not rallying behind him. I’d trust the early Sheldon to lead a post-apocalyptic survival party, and rebuild or at least salvage the vestiges of civilisation. I’d suggest using the new Sheldon as an alternate food source.

Maybe there is even a picture of her actually making Penny Blossoms with a <gasp> glue gun

I HAD a picture! I did. It's fallen OFF, the bastard! I'll try and put it back....mutter mutter....

• Like 3

Oh, I agree whole heartedly with this(except there was already a contrast between her and the other two, especially Amy).  There is only one reason for Leonard to date a girl that stupid, sex.   I think that they have done a disservice to all parties involved with the pairings.  For me it is very hard to get on board with couples where the writers have purposely diminished one half of the pair seemingly to make the other half look better.  Its not funny, sometimes a little uncomfortable, and its really getting old.  Yes, Penny and Sheldon are more similar to each other now, but by the same token Leonard and Amy are also very similar.  The couples seem to be reverse mirror images.

I HAD a picture! I did. It's fallen OFF, the bastard! I'll try and put it back....mutter mutter....

No worries, I tried to put the Penny Blossom picture on my post, but the site apprently didnt care for the source of the picture so it wouldn't let me(I will figure that out later).  So it became my profile picture instead.

Edited by clarisse451
  • Like 1

Oh, I agree whole heartedly with this(except there was already a contrast between her and the other two, especially Amy).  I think that they have done a disservice to all parties involved with the pairings.  For me it is very hard to get on board with couples where the writers have purposely diminished one half of the pair seemingly to make the other half look better.  Its not funny, sometimes a little uncomfortable, and its really getting old.  Yes, Penny and Sheldon are more similar to each other now, but by the same token Leonard and Amy are also very similar.  The couples seem to be reverse mirror images.

Maybe Chuck only has one or two cookie cutters, which he uses to do all his baking. :)

Amy has become very much like Leonard recently. She has Leonard's WTH expression a lot, when she looks at him. I don't know why they have started her doing this, she used to smile away obliviously.  Now she's joined the condemnation, so I suspect Sheldon is about to get his ass kicked soon.

This may be a Shenny thread but most of the contributors are Sheldonites. Chances are, if there was a Sheldon/Wil Wheaton fanciers thread, we’d be cluttering up that instead. I find the idea of Shenny quite fascinating and oddly beautiful, so I have no problem being called one, from time to time, but TECHNICALLY…see above.

The question of whether Sheldon’s changed (he has) and if so (so), is this change for the better or worse (worse), is indeed a different kettle of cats in a bag on the back of a dead horse, that I, for one, keep flogging with increasingly limp wrists.  It seems blindingly clear to me, however, that you don’t go from wanting to spend the rest of your life in the sole company of a fictional character (as I did with Sheldon S1-4), to wanting to punch them in the face, over the course of a single season, without some due cause.

He has no nobility left whatever. He fluctuates between being incredibly mean-spirited, and incredibly immature. He seems to have about 2-dimensions, and they’re both sucky dimensions. But what’s fatal from a writing point of view, is that for me and a hell of a lot of other people, he no longer feels even vaguely like a believable character.

He may be “funny”, but then CARICATURES often are. He’s a shambles and a mockery of his old self. And his old self was utterly remarkable.

I thought, and hoped Vintage Sheldon had returned permanently after his brief reappearance here and there in the first three episodes, but my fellow depressed Sheldon fans with access to recent episodes have informed me this is fallacious.

There’s a fair few comments on this board (and ONLY on this board) saying Sheldon’s maturing…How people are managing to square this strange belief with the observable fact that his general behaviour over the past 2 seasons has been monstrously callous, childish, sulky, obnoxious, undignified and, quite frankly, completely idiotic, is beyond me…

The new Sheldon is just an oblivious goofy schmuck. I wish him well, but I’m not rallying behind him. I’d trust the early Sheldon to lead a post-apocalyptic survival party, and rebuild or at least salvage the vestiges of civilisation. I’d suggest using the new Sheldon as an alternate food source.

Very well put.

There was many intelligent people on these forums, who seem fixed on the idea that Sheldon is evolving and growing as a person. I wonder how they convinced themselves, I suspect it's those blue eyes :p There would be nothing wrong with him evolving, if were actually true. He used to surprise me with noble acts, like lending money or getting a job for Raj, so he wasn't deported. These things were growth in my mind, they demonstrated that he did care and that he could be giving. They was much more they could have done with this.

I'm ever hopeful that things will pick up again though.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

Maybe Chuck only has one or two cookie cutters, which he uses to do all his baking. :)

Amy has become very much like Leonard recently. She has Leonard's WTH expression a lot, when she looks at him. I don't know why they have started her doing this, she used to smile away obliviously.  Now she's joined the condemnation, so I suspect Sheldon is about to get his ass kicked soon.

Very well put.

There was many intelligent people on these forums, who seem fixed on the idea that Sheldon is evolving and growing as a person. I wonder how they convinced themselves, I suspect it's those blue eyes :p There would be nothing wrong with him evolving, if were actually true. He used to surprise me with noble acts, like lending money or getting a job for Raj, so he wasn't deported. These things were growth in my mind, they demonstrated that he did care and that he could be giving. They was much more they could have done with this.

I'm ever hopeful that things will pick up again though.

Yes, I have read those comments and I always had to wonder if we were watching the same show.   The early season Sheldon was arrogant, dismissive, and at times, a jerk.  But he could also be sweet(childlike), endearing, and helpful, wicked smart, and not malicious.  Now he is more often petulant and childish, has probably lost more IQ points than Penny and is becoming a clown(so far no candy).   You could understand why his friends put up with earlier season Sheldon, now not so much.

Edited by clarisse451
  • Like 5

Strip away the nobility, replace the "hell inside (his) head" with this maddening obliviousness, dumb him down to where he's making careless math errors and Kripke, KRIPKE for God's sake!, has surpassed him intellectually, regress him by having him spout his dead daddy's redneck-y aphorisms, and you have a character who's, sadly, virtually unrecognizable from the Sheldon of Seasons 1-3.

• Like 6

All this talk of the potentially "limiting" effect of an onscreen Asperger's label reminds me of a woman I knew some years ago on a vastly different forum who self-identified as an "Aspie." While she readily acknowledged that certain things were difficult for her, like talking on the telephone or getting a joke etc., she positively bristled at the notion that she was disabled or limited in any way. She actually viewed Asperger's as being empowering and, in fact, often referred to it as her "super power," in that she could summon a laser-like focus to the task at hand as well as other things. She raised a family, ran a successful business and employed a number of adaptations to overcome the few things that were difficult for her.

I know one person's experience is not necessarily representative of an entire community, but it provides a perspective that challenges the notion that it's always preferable to use euphemisms to define characters with Asperger's.

I've just been trying to explore some of Sheldon's traits(on Sheldon Cooper thread), and I acknowledged the positive aspects of Aspergers(Is eidetic memory a real phenomena?...thread, in Chit Chat). I think the problem is that writer teams, seem to be generally made up of well educated, older, middle class men. I think they should have a female writer for every female character, an Indian writer,etc, but also someone who has Aspergers if they have a character who is even slightly on the spectrum. It's hard enough to try to imagine what someone else might think/say/do, but at least if they have the right mindset, they may get close  

• Like 1

Standing ovation!!! :yes:

To put it kindly, I think the writers are "adapting" the characters to the large new audience that has come on board in the past few seasons.

Edited by djvang
  • Like 2

Strip away the nobility, replace the "hell inside (his) head" with this maddening obliviousness, dumb him down to where he's making careless math errors and Kripke, KRIPKE for God's sake!, has surpassed him intellectually, regress him by having him spout his dead daddy's redneck-y aphorisms, and you have a character who's, sadly, virtually unrecognizable from the Sheldon of Seasons 1-3.

@users  We have declared this thread to be the only true liberal democracy, in the world, where we can express ourselves freely!(so we can talk about whatever we want!) @purr I think what is happening is that Jim, Sheldon's alter ego, is fighting back for control!!!! Let's hope Sheldon wins the battle, and takes over again!     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTPqfwHNAUg

Edited by gaqo

I have no doubt that an ultimatum from Amy is in the not too distant future. I predict a brief breakup, just to throw a scare into the Shamys, followed by a glorious renuniting. And the slumber partiers will go wild. I'll stop watching at the breakup, knowing that what follows will be the final deconstruction of the Sheldon character we once knew. 

• Like 1

That looks incredibly violent.

Incidentally Gaqo, I see that you’ve “edited” that post. Er…HOW exactly? There are no words. Have you reprised nothingness? Very faux-Sartrean.

On another matter, I’ve been made aware that this thread not living up to certain rigorous intellectual standards…I do apologise as a contributor.

To make amends to any injured/disappointed parties, here’s a serious note;

sheldon_theremin.jpg

• Like 3