The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
annieogly

Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

That looks incredibly violent.

Incidentally Gaqo, I see that you’ve “edited” that post. Er…HOW exactly? There are no words. Have you reprised nothingness? Very faux-Sartrean.

On another matter, I’ve been made aware that this thread not living up to certain rigorous intellectual standards…I do apologise as a contributor.

To make amends to any injured/disappointed parties, here’s a serious note;

sheldon_theremin.jpg

Who set those rigorous intellectual standards?  Is there some sort of handbook?  Frankly, I don't believe that this thread could possibly be judged lacking.  It's hokum.

Who set those rigorous intellectual standards?  Is there some sort of handbook?  Frankly, I don't believe that this thread could possibly be judged lacking.  It's hokum.

Well I see I've missed out the word "is" in this sentence for starters;

"I’ve been made aware that this thread [!] not living up to certain rigorous intellectual standards"

Bad Wally! Bad bad Wally...

Well I see I've missed out the word "is" in this sentence for starters;

"I’ve been made aware that this thread [!] not living up to certain rigorous intellectual standards"

Bad Wally! Bad bad Wally...

A mere typo in no way tarnishes your intellectual standing. It would, however, seriously call into question ours could we not manage to discern your meaning.

You and your words, goddammit. That's exactly the problem I have with Sheldon now. (I've ranted about it in the "Season 7 disappointed" thread also.) I hate to say it, *sob* but I I've gone from loving him to finding him - dare I say - annoying. They've made him silly. and even a tad creepy. The recent trains thing (Especially in the episode where he put the train in his mouth. Yuck. Sheldon. Stop. you wouldn't do that.) was always a bit creepy to me, am I alone here? For a character who was always portrayed to be a stickler for order and consistency, his behaviour is annoyingly erratic post season 4. But I am seeing tiny old-Sheldon nuances in season 7. They're going on the right direction now, I think. I hope. The Peldon in ep 1 was nice, and there was VERY LITTLE AMY. (I'm sorry Amy. I want to like you but I'm just not feeling it.)

Oh god, my ranting spirit is returning. Must... leave... internet...

On a more positive note, Jim is looking gorgeous on the front of Out Magazine...

Maybe it's me, but I kinda get the feeling you didn't want Sheldon to change.

Is that maybe the reason you don't like Amy?

I am not trying to attack you, just trying to understand your reasoning.

But most of all I ship Sheldon and himself.  :imsohappy:  And I'm glad you approached me politely. There have been many people who have jumped down my throught about this before in the past...

Well, I can relate to this (kinda) since I have a sweet crush on Amy, if only she was real :maninlove:

Thanks for explaining.

• Like 2

I don't know what the freak is going on with Sheldon either. I think Amy's constant, whatever it is she is doing, is affecting him. She's like a a needy moon upsetting his orbit! @Count, I followed that Penny throwing him to the floor gif, with a picture of him giving her money(make your own conclusions!), but the pic wouldn't stay. His expressions are priceless, like on the screen in this clip.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sglm8IsXnlY      

• Like 3

Just how he likes it. LOL! 

I think you're part joking, but right. That would take all of the thinking/deciding out of it for him. Penny just throws him to the floor and has her way!

Well, of course I don't want Sheldon to change, I think he was fine how he was. I always disagree with people that say he has grown up and become more mature in the post season 4 eps. But I did like Amy at first (season 4), especially in The Herb Garden Germination.  She then started to annoy me as she got more and more creepy around Penny. I just find her a bit heavy going now, and I feel like her giddiness and desperation to be liked rubbed off on Sheldon a bit and possibly made him the petulant whiner he is today. I've actually started to see Amy as a bit of a Scrappy Doo character now, as unkind as that is. But I did like her at first.

(I really hate talking about Amy. It always ends badly...)

And I'll just make it clear while I'm here that I'm a supporter of Peldon, the platonic Shenny, but I also quite like the oddness of the romantic Shenny, theoretically. (I'd hate to see it actually in the show, though.)

But most of all I ship Sheldon and himself.  :imsohappy:  And I'm glad you approached me politely. There have been many people who have jumped down my throat about this before.

I know what you mean. Any criticism of her is taken VERY personally by many people out here.

My main problem with Amy isn't the character herself or the actress. It's that it seeems that the sole purpose of the character is to change Sheldon. And he has changed - from quirky and deadpan to goofy, silly, animated and increasingly unlikable. That's just my opinion based on my personal preferences. Those who are positively giddy about the prospect of a SIK  obviously feel differently.

• Like 2

Strip away the nobility, replace the "hell inside (his) head" with this maddening obliviousness, dumb him down to where he's making careless math errors and Kripke, KRIPKE for God's sake!, has surpassed him intellectually, regress him by having him spout his dead daddy's redneck-y aphorisms, and you have a character who's, sadly, virtually unrecognizable from the Sheldon of Seasons 1-3.

ATTABOY!

Chocolate?

tbbt-2.jpg

Gaqo once suggested sticking to pictures...to avoid pissing people off. I'm inclined to agree with him of late. Foot-in-mouth disease is contagious.

• Like 1

ATTABOY!

Chocolate?

tbbt-2.jpg

Gaqo once suggested sticking to pictures...to avoid pissing people off. I'm inclined to agree with him of late. Foot-in-mouth disease is contagious.

The thing is, I have come to learn, that those people rarely care if they are pissing you off. 

• Like 1

Man their are some whiners on this thread, I dont see it Sheldon Season 7 is exactly the same as Sheldon Season One. Hes condensending, patronising, oblvious, and dead pan this season no different to Season One. And Penny is not stupid and I am not sure why anyone thinks Leonard has no reason to date a girl as dumb as Penny, well based on that logic Penny has no reason to date a guy as physicaly inferior to a guy Penny should date based on her looks, and socieities expectations. Leonard has clearly prooven by now he see's Penny more then just sex, even in Season One he always defended Penny and developed a relationship well beyond a physical paradaim. I think Leonard and Penny have a ALOT more in common then people give them credit for, on a very human and fundamental level, if Penny had a choice out of Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj she would choose Leonard every single time. I get this is a Shenny shippers thread, but theirs seems to be some not here but in some places people still pushing Shenny, when to be quite honest it is a deconstructed idea, based on their very peculiar and intimate chemistry, their has been the smallest margin of probability that never existed in the show but on the internet haha.

Watching the first three seasons it is clear to me even in the first season that Penny does love Leonard potentially, and well of course now she has realizied she loves him. As for Sheldon changing well the show is in its seventh season, it is getting to the point people who hate change are going to have to embrace it, some people just cannot accept the fact this show is longer longer about four lonely nerds and their hottie neighbour, it has grown up. And I guess some people just cannot accept the fact, Sheldon has grown too, saying he is comical and childish as a reason for his lack of maturity, is not where his maturity is occuring, It's in his relationships, and his compromise on considering human emotion and relationships as a value part of human nature. You even look at Season 3 flashback, I am guessing that is the Sheldon everyone wants back, well he's their just diminished and more perceptive to human emotion, when it comes to social and emotional intelligence he is very emotionally stunted and a big child. Guess I am trying to say I love Sheldon and Pennys platonic relationship, but have never seen this idea of them in a romantic capacity, not that anyone here is suggesting that just that it has been an idea thrown around since the begginning. Personally I have enjoyed seeing Sheldon be more human, its another side to him depending on your personal preferances watching Sheldon in a time warp never changing maybe be okay for some, but their are also some beleive it or not who were getting tired of deadpan Sheldon, and have enjoyed seeing him navigate himself in a relationship in his own unique Sheldoness. I mean you have some complaining about the show perpeutating the sterotype that nerds cannot get girls, suddenly Leonard gets Penny and they are solid, and Howard gets married now people are complaining its just like other shows anyway. 

Skull, this is a safe zone for those who ship any form of Penny and Sheldon. If you disagree with the ship, there is the thread Shipping Zone or the individual character threads for those who wish to debate it. Just letting you know the rules that Tripper set up for this particular thread.

• Like 2

3ku11 matey, much as I appreciate your erudite observations on all the other threads of this forum, Shipping Threads are generally for people of like-mindedness to talk amongst themselves. In this case, we’re a bunch of miserable bastards. The good Nogravitas created the thread Shipping Lanes for cross-ship WAR!!..er…discussion, and perhaps it’s best to post your thoughts on these matters over there instead.

I’m sorry if you felt there was a little dig at Lenny in someone’s comment. Ideally Ship Threads should harbour their own ships and not fire flare guns at others. So Sheldon and Penny, and their various character deficiencies and devolutions are fair game around here, as is anything else on the show, but the other “ships” should be off limits, in my opinion. T’aint cricket. Also, if we do that, then perhaps people would stop swinging into this thread like Errol Flynn on a rope. Deal?

Regards, Ranty McWhingebag.

Ah. I see Tensor has just made this exact same point. In a polite, less arsy fashion....Nonetheless!

Man their are some whiners on this thread, I dont see it Sheldon Season 7 is exactly the same as Sheldon Season One. Hes condensending, patronising, oblvious, and dead pan this season no different to Season One. And Penny is not stupid and I am not sure why anyone thinks Leonard has no reason to date a girl as dumb as Penny, well based on that logic Penny has no reason to date a guy as physicaly inferior to a guy Penny should date based on her looks, and socieities expectations. Leonard has clearly prooven by now he see's Penny more then just sex, even in Season One he always defended Penny and developed a relationship well beyond a physical paradaim. I think Leonard and Penny have a ALOT more in common then people give them credit for, on a very human and fundamental level, if Penny had a choice out of Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj she would choose Leonard every single time. I get this is a Shenny shippers thread, but theirs seems to be some not here but in some places people still pushing Shenny, when to be quite honest it is a deconstructed idea, based on their very peculiar and intimate chemistry, their has been the smallest margin of probability that never existed in the show but on the internet haha.

Watching the first three seasons it is clear to me even in the first season that Penny does love Leonard potentially, and well of course now she has realizied she loves him. As for Sheldon changing well the show is in its seventh season, it is getting to the point people who hate change are going to have to embrace it, some people just cannot accept the fact this show is longer longer about four lonely nerds and their hottie neighbour, it has grown up. And I guess some people just cannot accept the fact, Sheldon has grown too, saying he is comical and childish as a reason for his lack of maturity, is not where his maturity is occuring, It's in his relationships, and his compromise on considering human emotion and relationships as a value part of human nature. You even look at Season 3 flashback, I am guessing that is the Sheldon everyone wants back, well he's their just diminished and more perceptive to human emotion, when it comes to social and emotional intelligence he is very emotionally stunted and a big child. Guess I am trying to say I love Sheldon and Pennys platonic relationship, but have never seen this idea of them in a romantic capacity, not that anyone here is suggesting that just that it has been an idea thrown around since the begginning. Personally I have enjoyed seeing Sheldon be more human, its another side to him depending on your personal preferances watching Sheldon in a time warp never changing maybe be okay for some, but their are also some beleive it or not who were getting tired of deadpan Sheldon, and have enjoyed seeing him navigate himself in a relationship in his own unique Sheldoness. I mean you have some complaining about the show perpeutating the sterotype that nerds cannot get girls, suddenly Leonard gets Penny and they are solid, and Howard gets married now people are complaining its just like other shows anyway. 

Well I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you.  I am glad you see Leonard and Penny as a good couple, it certainly makes the show a more enjoyable experience.  I do not think Penny of the first few seasons was dumb.  She had her moments but it was usually because she didn't get something science related one of the guys was saying and was understandable.  She "took a stand, metaphorically", and told Sheldon that if she "couldn't be snide he couldn't be condescending", but this season she has to look to Amy to see if she is using the word liability correctly.  I could come up with so many more examples of the hits to her character in the last couple of seasons.  As for Sheldon, well I see no point in getting into it with you since I disagree with a good portion of what you wrote and neither of us is going to change the others mind.  

Well I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you.  I am glad you see Leonard and Penny as a good couple, it certainly makes the show a more enjoyable experience.  I do not think Penny of the first few seasons was dumb.  She had her moments but it was usually because she didn't get something science related one of the guys was saying and was understandable.  She "took a stand, metaphorically", and told Sheldon that if she "couldn't be snide he couldn't be condescending", but this season she has to look to Amy to see if she is using the word liability correctly.  I could come up with so many more examples of the hits to her character in the last couple of seasons.  As for Sheldon, well I see no point in getting into it with you since I disagree with a good portion of what you wrote and neither of us is going to change the others mind.  

Yeah but whats different now is that Penny is fully integrated into the group now, so she is no longer the outside she is one of them as Howard would put it, almost a big family now. I think the writers have overexagerrated her "blondeness" this season as a plot device for the episode, her usual perky social intelligence although was adept in the first 3 eps has been diminished alot the past few eps. Everyone has personal preferances or what they want too see in the show, I was just sharing my opinion thats all.

3ku11 matey, much as I appreciate your erudite observations on all the other threads of this forum, Shipping Threads are generally for people of like-mindedness to talk amongst themselves. In this case, we’re a bunch of miserable bastards. The good Nogravitas created the thread Shipping Lanes for cross-ship WAR!!..er…discussion, and perhaps it’s best to post your thoughts on these matters over there instead.

I’m sorry if you felt there was a little dig at Lenny in someone’s comment. Ideally Ship Threads should harbour their own ships and not fire flare guns at others. So Sheldon and Penny, and their various character deficiencies and devolutions are fair game around here, as is anything else on the show, but the other “ships” should be off limits, in my opinion. T’aint cricket. Also, if we do that, then perhaps people would stop swinging into this thread like Errol Flynn on a rope. Deal?

Ah. I see Tensor has just made this exact same point. In a polite, less arsy fashion....Nonetheless!

Sorry count my eyes said debate and my fingers said why not lol, I am aware this is a safe zone my bad. It wasent that I felt you were having a dig at Lenny, I am fine with people not thinking they are compatible, shes the hot girl next door, he's the geek haha. But I think their should be ships that are in reason within the show thats all, I Think some people hate Sheldon post season four, but someone says I love him! And they get a unfavorable response, thats all, carry on.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. Any criticism of her is taken VERY personally by many people out here.

My main problem with Amy isn't the character herself or the actress. It's that it seeems that the sole purpose of the character is to change Sheldon. And he has changed - from quirky and deadpan to goofy, silly, animated and increasingly unlikable. That's just my opinion based on my personal preferences. Those who are positively giddy about the prospect of a SIK  obviously feel differently.

Once we've been told to look beyond main narrative, to the contradictory minor narratives, Sheldon and Penny still have something(only on episode 3, here!), actually I think it's got alot to do with the strength of both Jim and Kaley's personalities. I suppose that the writers hadn't forseen that happening. So into a world (actually more like a bubble!), populated by believable characters, they choose to put an almost non credible character, Amy, between them. Images that flash through my mind involve medieval medical procedure. And yes Sheldon has been reverted to being a silly seven years old, bizarre!!! 

Yes what is it with all these nautical terms, is there some nautically obssessed fanatic somewhere lacing forums with his fav terminology! 

Edited by gaqo

The character Sheldon has been developed by the writers to have traits that are similar to real life syndromes, some people have already identified in the forum. However the writers are very reluctant to label Sheldon with any specific problems, probably not to create controversy. Anyway a real person with these problems would never be cured, but with the right friends and a person he trusts as a significant other, could live a reasonable enjoyable life and I think that is what Sheldon is suppose to represent. Now in a good relationship, there is a lot of give and take, but if you accept that Sheldon has problems, there is always going to be more take from him and more giving from the significant other. So if you were going to build a significant other for Sheldon, the writers would build someone like Amy. I don't know if Amy and Sheldon will ever get more intense in their relationship, but if she is replaced, the new character will have to more like Amy to work with the Sheldon character or they will have to drastically change Sheldon.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm new around here so forgive me in advance. I am a big Shenny fan and say it loud, but I love all the characters in the show. I really they are one of the best casts on tv right now. But, enough about that this is a shenny thread. I don't even remember when I first got into this pairing, but the chemistry between these two characters is amazing and I am sure it stems from how friendly the two actors are in real life. I have always been into these types of awkward pairings where neither seem to be interested yet seem to have that spark lying underneath the surface waiting for the right instance. Fun pairing whose interactions I enjoy!

• Like 2

This is a shenny shippers thread, if you want to debate against shenny opinion, this is not the place to do it.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Please remember this thread is a ship zone for shippers of Penny and Sheldon. This thread should be focused on Penny and Sheldon as a romantic couple and discussing the positive points of that. There are other threads to debate the idea of Penny & Sheldon being together or to discuss other romantic pairings.

• Like 1

The character Sheldon has been developed by the writers to have traits that are similar to real life syndromes, some people have already identified in the forum. However the writers are very reluctant to label Sheldon with any specific problems, probably not to create controversy. Anyway a real person with these problems would never be cured, but with the right friends and a person he trusts as a significant other, could live a reasonable enjoyable life and I think that is what Sheldon is suppose to represent. Now in a good relationship, there is a lot of give and take, but if you accept that Sheldon has problems, there is always going to be more take from him and more giving from the significant other. So if you were going to build a significant other for Sheldon, the writers would build someone like Amy. I don't know if Amy and Sheldon will ever get more intense in their relationship, but if she is replaced, the new character will have to more like Amy to work with the Sheldon character or they will have to drastically change Sheldon.

I appreciate what you're saying, but the opposite seems to be happening to Sheldon. I think the neediness of Amy for sexual relations, is disturbing. 'Fatherless women gravitate towards emotionally unavailable men'(Claire Bloom). I know whenever we look below the surface of TBBT, some try to reduce it to 'just a sit-com', but all the characters seem to be trying to recreate something that was absent from their childhoods, and that probably resonates with many people. The fiction that the characters then try to recreate it with members of the opposite sex, who are similar to those that caused the original absence, is a fact in the real world. People with Aspergers can become 'more normal', as you say, with the right support and acceptance(unconditional love), but we often see Amy trying to change Sheldon. I think her own needs are her reason, and aren't helping someone who functions well on his own, as a seperate identity. Does he need to be part of a couple? Or is he just fitting in, because that's what everyone wants, and he's bored of being nagged and interrogated. I think his main relationship(with opposite sex), should be Penny, for his own good as a great character, and ours, because their interactions are priceless! I don't remember Penny trying to change him, just help him; in general, to understand, and to adapt!  Exactly what he needs!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUfxitGpfU    

• Like 1

@Count, Something I've just started thinking about, is a character a person? If an actor spends months in character, is that then their identity. If the character's life is a construct of other people's lives. I know when I read a book in first person narration, I feel like their thought,stories, become part of me for a time, and some stay permanently, I'll feel emotions relating to the author's story. I think each of these characters, in TBBT are related to by different people, for personal reasons. If an android robot is given all the same thoughts, memories,emotions,etc, as a human can it have a 'psychological truth'?

Gaqo my friend, I'm dragging this quote of yours over here because no regular contributor on this particular thread seems to give a rat's posterior if things go off-topic, and I suspect it might do so.

Any entity that’s self-consistent can have a psychological truth, in my opinion. My objection to Sheldon, that he has no psychological truth, was born of him having manifold creators and crafters, not all of which adhere to the same blueprint. Therefore his actions cannot be looked upon as genuine, in the manner, say, in which even an android with a single nucleus of reference can. People sculpt reasons and rationales for his actions, but they’re all redundant, because the character himself does not “think”. This is why it’s so irritating to discuss him. If he is different now than he was, it is not through human, organic growth, but because Jim Parsons was finding the role stifling from an acting point of view, and wanted to expand his repertoire.

Changing Sheldon wasn’t an artistic choice, but a choice made through your lead actor getting twitchy. In that sense, it’s an unrealistic change. In real life, people may indeed change subtly over the years, but they don’t change their speech patterns, posture, mannerisms, tone of voice and priorities over a matter of months. At least not without a blasting rod through the frontal lobes, like Phineas Gage.

Howard, for example, has changed believably. His personality is identical, only what he TALKS about has altered. As consistent with him finding a woman he does not constantly have to woo. Sheldon, however, has been dumped back into some sort of quasi-infantile stage, where he has to BE TAUGHT, like a child, “how to be a man”, despite him previously being generally quite adult and self-sufficient. This has been done purely in order to “reset the timer”, like on a bomb, so that the writers have something to do with Sheldon for the next three years, ie, “grow him up”. It’s despicable and cheap artifice.  

Gaqo, back on your topic, before I get bitter; If the actor never leaves the stage, does it cease to be an act? I think if you never stopped reading an endless book about a fictional hero, you would eventually cease to be Gaqo.

I will post pictures or comments concerning Shenny and Peldon next post, without fail. Spirit of the thread and all.

• Like 4

Gaqo my friend, I'm dragging this quote of yours over here because no regular contributor on this particular thread seems to give a rat's posterior if things go off-topic, and I suspect it might do so.

Any entity that’s self-consistent can have a psychological truth, in my opinion. My objection to Sheldon, that he has no psychological truth, was born of him having manifold creators and crafters, not all of which adhere to the same blueprint. Therefore his actions cannot be looked upon as genuine, in the manner, say, in which even an android with a single nucleus of reference can. People sculpt reasons and rationales for his actions, but they’re all redundant, because the character himself does not “think”. This is why it’s so irritating to discuss him. If he is different now than he was, it is not through human, organic growth, but because Jim Parsons was finding the role stifling from an acting point of view, and wanted to expand his repertoire.

Changing Sheldon wasn’t an artistic choice, but a choice made through your lead actor getting twitchy. In that sense, it’s an unrealistic change. In real life, people may indeed change subtly over the years, but they don’t change their speech patterns, posture, mannerisms, tone of voice and priorities over a matter of months. At least not without a blasting rod through the frontal lobes, like Phineas Gage.

Howard, for example, has changed believably. His personality is identical, only what he TALKS about has altered. As consistent with him finding a woman he does not constantly have to woo. Sheldon, however, has been dumped back into some sort of quasi-infantile stage, where he has to BE TAUGHT, like a child, “how to be a man”, despite him previously being generally quite adult and self-sufficient. This has been done purely in order to “reset the timer”, like on a bomb, so that the writers have something to do with Sheldon for the next three years, ie, “grow him up”. It’s despicable and cheap artifice.  

Gaqo, back on your topic, before I get bitter; If the actor never leaves the stage, does it cease to be an act? I think if you never stopped reading an endless book about a fictional hero, you would eventually cease to be Gaqo.

I will post pictures or comments concerning Shenny and Peldon next post, without fail. Spirit of the thread and all.

You know we don't care, just have a fifty minute rant against anything, and terminate with 'like Pand S do'. In some ways fictional characters seem more real(not the right word but closest!). Most living people lead pretty routine lives, whereas characters can do anything. It is strange the way an actor is creating a character; thought by thought, expression by expression,etc, but they are always the medium. From something Jim said, he get's little input into writing, that would be a priority, I would have thought, so that the actor and character are contingent(even meaning is escaping me!). I heard some of those actors who take their roles very seriously(maybe Christian Bale,Daniel Day Lewis,) say that getting into, and living the role takes them over, some even stay in character off screen , I think on a multiplicitous level(just insert your own words, I know what I mean but don't have the words to say it), it's as though the character slowly takes over the actor. Hey I'm just thinking about stuff, it amuses me!!!!  I've enjoyed that Dead Souls, have you read any Absurdist, I'm thinking, Ionesco's Rhinoceros! Also Borges' Labyrinths, he explored identity, in stories like 'Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote'.       220px-Naqshineh-Rhino_2.jpg

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 2

OH and it's obvious that the writers don't take Amy seriously, otherwise they wouldn't give her lines like 'Eminem, scary!'  82C0E084F33A704A53AEF98657A_h296_w526_m2  eminem-in-gq.jpg

• Like 1