Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

annieogly

Interesting question.  If there is a sea change in either character, does that change their dynamic to the point of them not being as interesting together?

The answer ("two words"); Schrodinger's Cat! 

However, there's a chance here of getting your face scratched off by a radioactive mutant zombie cat, less Schrodinger's, more Pandora's Box, and we all know how that story ended!

post-9820-0-16884300-1386604970_thumb.jp

Penny doesn't and has never looked at Sheldon as someone she would want to be in a romantic or sexual relationship with and because she knows him so well she never will. Penny has a brotherly/friendship kind of feelings for him.

• Like 1

I am sorry but Penny and Sheldon do not fit as a romantic couple.  1) She does not and would never see him in that way.  She sees him more as little brother than a potential "boyfriend or husband".  2) If Howard and Raj had not set up Sheldon with Amy he would have never sought out a girlfriend on his own, he had no interest in one.  3)  Without Leonard, Sheldon would have never really met Penny.  They may have been neighbors but Penny would most likely have seen Sheldon in the same manner that the previous occupant of 4B did, "As that crazy across the hall."  4) If Penny had to live with Sheldon the way Leonard does, she would eventually kill him in his sleep.

In reality, without Leonard Sheldon would have no friends at all.  So the whole idea of a Penny/Sheldon romantic relationship is not only completely out of character for both of them, it really makes no sense. 

• Like 4

Only because it's been written that way. It's completely possible the show could be written in other ways. It is a story! 

After six and a half years? No. Not going to happen. Not ever. Shenny is dead, always was dead, always will be dead. It exists only in fanfic and the fevered imaginations of fanboys and fangirls. It should be left there, as it has no place in the real world.

• Like 2

To write the story so that there could be a Sheldon/Penny romantic relationship would require a change in Sheldon.  Thus, the nature of the show would change. So, I agree with what MJ said, Shenny is dead it exisits in fanfic and the fevered imaginations of fanboys and fangirls and should be left there.

Spaced, that is really the whole argument. The show's creators and writers choose to write the characters in such a way that makes S/P getting together extremely unlikely, on the show. The only way they could get together is to change the characters. But, if that happens, does the coupling hold the same interest and do we feel the same about the changed characters?

There are people who are upset with the changes Sheldon has gone through and there are those who are upset with how Penny's character has changed. Will those people accept the even bigger changes needed to have them as a romantic couple? It's a delicate balancing act for the writers as if they move too much one way, while they may make a new group of people happy, they will alienate a whole different set of viewers. Although, as Thing of Beauty points out, you'd really need to take it out of the box, it's just the writers have indicated, through character reaction and interaction, they're going to leave the box closed..

I would imagine that is why fan fiction is so big. There, you don't have to worry about if it's making money or getting enough views. Changes to the characters are more likely( within that subset) to be accepted as plausible, as that subset wants to see the two together.

I just don't see the show going down that path, as while it will make the supporters of S/P happy, it will make the supporters of L/P and S/A unhappy. And, as the ratings suggest, more people like this show, as it is, than any other entertainment program. So why change?

This does not mean those who like the S/P coupling should not enjoy it, and there are many examples of stories on fan fiction. Tx-fictionqueen has a great one, "Affectation" (and you should realize that if a Lenny, like me, recommends a SHENNY story, you should check it out.). Basically what I'm saying is that if you want to enjoy a romantic Shenny, you're going to have to do it through fan

Fiction. You won't find it, nor will you find any support for it within the show.

• Like 2

This does not mean those who like the S/P coupling should not enjoy it, and there are many examples of stories on fan fiction. Tx-fictionqueen has a great one, "Affectation" (and you should realize that if a Lenny, like me, recommends a SHENNY story, you should check it out.).

I (as a Shamy) completely second this. Affectation is a great Shenny story.

• Like 2

I see what you are saying but Sheldon has already changed and not in the best way. Any relationship will change a character to some degree, it's only to be expected. In fact I know change is what people want. I just happen to think Sheldon and Penny are a more fascinating match I also know that it's not the plan for the show. 

• Like 2

I just happen to think Sheldon and Penny are a more fascinating match

More fascinating then what?

Sheldon & Amy and Leonard & Penny?

You are ofcourse entitled to your own opinion, but I think alot of ppl disagree with you.

• Like 1

I see what you are saying but Sheldon has already changed and not in the best way. Any relationship will change a character to some degree, it's only to be expected. In fact I know change is what people want. I just happen to think Sheldon and Penny are a more fascinating match I also know that it's not the plan for the show. 

And you have every right to hold and express that opinion. Just don't expect anyone other than the microscopically tiny group of Shenny fanboys and fangirls to agree with it. ;)

And yes, change is expected and inevitable, but as Tensor said, the amount of change to both characters that would be required in order to make them a believable romantic couple would be so great that they would no longer be the characters we know. Fanfic can get away with this because it plays to a sympathetic audience that's already predisposed to believe in the pairing, but it would never, ever work on the TV series itself, which has to appeal to a mass audience that's far less likely to accept such radical, unrealistic changes. Just sayin'...

Edited by MJPollard
  • Like 1

And you have every right to hold and express that opinion. Just don't expect anyone other than the microscopically tiny group of Shenny fanboys and fangirls to agree with it. ;)

And yes, change is expected and inevitable, but as Tensor said, the amount of change to both characters that would be required in order to make them a believable romantic couple would be so great that they would no longer be the characters we know. Fanfic can get away with this because it plays to a sympathetic audience that's already predisposed to believe in the pairing, but it would never, ever work on the TV series itself, which has to appeal to a mass audience that's far less likely to accept such radical, unrealistic changes. Just sayin'...

It's my opinion that they would be good for each other. I also know people on this fansite are unlikely to agree, so that's why I don't post much. 

Good for each other how?

I think that the issue isn't necessarily change, per se, as all the characters have or will undergo change.  But it's the kind of change that would have to take place.  Sheldon and Penny as they were in the early seasons, before Amy came along, and/or before Leonard and Penny hooked up, would never have worked as they were written because neither of them was interested in the kind of person the other was.

Penny didn't find Sheldon at all physically or mentally attractive.  There was one episode--one of the Dr. Stephanie eps, I think, where Sheldon asked Penny to supress her libido (to keep her from interfering with Leonard and Dr. S) and she said she would think of Sheldon, meaning, of course, that she found him unappealing.

Sheldon would never have been attracted to Penny because A) he wasn't looking for any kind of partner, and B ) he apparently found her ignorant and uninteresting.

So, in order for them to end up as a couple, Sheldon would have to suddenly become sexually and intellectually and emtionally attracted to an uneducated woman who has, in his opinion, loose morals, who is interested in things he has no interest in, like popular TV, movies, music, celebrities, etc.  Where would he find any common ground with her?

And Penny would have to suddenly find his praying mantis body somehow attractive, be fascinated with his over-intellectualized, over-explained, incomprehensible-to-her way of communicating.

What would they talk about?

• Like 1

I didn’t want to aid in this pointless discussion because I’d prefer to not start bleeding from the eyeballs in frustration. However, merely reading it is making me try to chew my face off. So I’m rather damned regardless.

Personally I couldn’t give a flying fornication what shipping preference people gravitate towards, each to his/her/its own. But illogical thinking is infuriating, and there’s some very intelligent folk here who nonetheless seem have a bizarre blind spot on this topic.

Some people apparently think romantic interest is a personality trait. I don’t know what they’d make of my friend, who has a different girlfriend every month or so, all with wildly differing temperaments, intellects, humours, appearances, nationalities, and yet he doesn’t seem to suffer a sea-change in HIS personality in order to accommodate them all.

I had a romantic infatuation with a ridiculous surfer-type at one point. A complete idiot, who nonetheless fascinated me. The whole thing was infuriating, because there was utterly nothing in common between us, and indeed our conversations were very peculiar. Point being, that was an attraction between a highly strung, quasi-intellectual asexual, and a laid-back, pop culture addicted gimcrack, which had no reason or rationale behind it. In real life, that relationship didn’t go anywhere, because (i) I have no interest in being in one (ii) he wasn’t as delightful as Penny. Perhaps I would have been more motivated if he was.

Also, my life is not a sitcom. Sitcoms do not have to be realistic, but I would suggest they have to be entertaining and/or aesthetically enjoyable in some fashion. Penny and Sheldon would have been both.       

So as for how a bawdy, highly sexed woman like Penny could fancy an arrogant, insulting, asexual neurotic like Sheldon…well, it happens. I’d suggest it actually happens all the damn time. It’s almost a cliché actually. And there’s plenty of bawdy, highly sexed women in the casual fanbase that seem to fancy Sheldon. Simply though, in THIS version of the show, Penny has not been WRITTEN to fancy Sheldon. Repeat AD NAUSEUM. That’s all. I don’t understand what’s so complicated about this. Attraction does not have a rational motivation behind it. The choice of whom is attracted to whom is, in this case, merely an artistic choice on the behalf of the writers. It could therefore have been otherwise.

I might add, that in the show as it’s actually written, Penny has a history of terrible boyfriend choices. Is Sheldon really worse than Kurt, Underhill, Sex-blog guy, Zack, Stuart, and dare I say it, Leonard? One must remember than some people find Leonard incredibly morally dubious.

Yes S/P is not going to happen in the show. The time for that is LONG past. Everybody knows this, I don’t know why this keeps being an issue….Shenny folk are merely saying it SHOULD have been written like that from the beginning. Or that they wished it had been. There’s something rather fascinating about characters being attracted to others who are in no way appropriate for them. That’s the conflict and interest that you spin out over the series. It worked for Mulder and Scully.

My own preference is to keep Sheldon single, but that’s neither here nor there…

As for “radically changing” the characters in fanfics;

As is probably known, I’m an absolute stickler for Sheldon being “Sheldon”, preferably the Vintage version. I regularly make myself into an utter pain in the arse on this very forum, constantly carping about how they’ve bastardised the character, made him an ignominious buffoon, a redneck, an infantile bigot, etc. If anyone’s sensitive to subtle variations in his personality, it’s me. I would not be able to read Shenny fanfics if indeed Sheldon were “radically changed”. I would choke on my own spleen. I’m sure the people who think Shenny fics feature “radically changed” characters, have merely been unfortunate enough to stumble upon some of those ghastly fics that ex-twilight (probably) fans manage to tap out with two fingers whilst mouth-breathing over the keyboard. Where Sheldon is wearing jeans (inexplicably) and has massive genitalia and a five o clock shadow, and a Texan Twang, and god knows what else that wandered in from fantasy WTF land, but I can assure you that they’re not all like that, and I haven’t met a S/P fancier yet that thinks these stories are anything but wildly hysterical and rather vomit inducing. I’ve been informed such monstrous inaccuracies and idiocies also exist in the Shamy and Lenny fanfics. I think idiocy and OOC depictions are fairly evenly flung about the place. Point is, S/P must be possible in SOME depictions, otherwise what the devil have we Sheldon purists been reading all these years? Good grief, *I* can imagine it working, just because somebody else can’t doesn’t make or break the case.

Incidentally, regarding this “minority” of Shennys I keep seeing bandied about, there’s a shedload of the bastards over at Paradox and on LJ. Same number as there are Shamys and Lennys here combined. So enough with the Minority already!

As for the “fevered imaginations of fanboys and fangirls”…Lord give me strength…I read the threads here regularly, and if anyone takes a departure from reality with a goddamn picnic lunch it’s some of the canon shippers.

Disclaimer – NO ONE IN THIS THREAD. (Alright?)

• Like 9

I didn’t want to aid in this pointless discussion because I’d prefer to not start bleeding from the eyeballs in frustration. However, merely reading it is making me try to chew my face off. So I’m rather damned regardless.

Personally I couldn’t give a flying fornication what shipping preference people gravitate towards, each to his/her/its own. But illogical thinking is infuriating, and there’s some very intelligent folk here who nonetheless seem have a bizarre blind spot on this topic.

Some people apparently think romantic interest is a personality trait. I don’t know what they’d make of my friend, who has a different girlfriend every month or so, all with wildly differing temperaments, intellects, humours, appearances, nationalities, and yet he doesn’t seem to suffer a sea-change in HIS personality in order to accommodate them all.

I had a romantic infatuation with a ridiculous surfer-type at one point. A complete idiot, who nonetheless fascinated me. The whole thing was infuriating, because there was utterly nothing in common between us, and indeed our conversations were very peculiar. Point being, that was an attraction between a highly strung, quasi-intellectual asexual, and a laid-back, pop culture addicted gimcrack, which had no reason or rationale behind it. In real life, that relationship didn’t go anywhere, because (i) I have no interest in being in one (ii) he wasn’t as delightful as Penny. Perhaps I would have been more motivated if he was.

Also, my life is not a sitcom. Sitcoms do not have to be realistic, but I would suggest they have to be entertaining and/or aesthetically enjoyable in some fashion. Penny and Sheldon would have been both.       

So as for how a bawdy, highly sexed woman like Penny could fancy an arrogant, insulting, asexual neurotic like Sheldon…well, it happens. I’d suggest it actually happens all the damn time. It’s almost a cliché actually. And there’s plenty of bawdy, highly sexed women in the casual fanbase that seem to fancy Sheldon. Simply though, in THIS version of the show, Penny has not been WRITTEN to fancy Sheldon. Repeat AD NAUSEUM. That’s all. I don’t understand what’s so complicated about this. Attraction does not have a rational motivation behind it. The choice of whom is attracted to whom is, in this case, merely an artistic choice on the behalf of the writers. It could therefore have been otherwise.

I might add, that in the show as it’s actually written, Penny has a history of terrible boyfriend choices. Is Sheldon really worse than Kurt, Underhill, Sex-blog guy, Zack, Stuart, and dare I say it, Leonard? One must remember than some people find Leonard incredibly morally dubious.

Yes S/P is not going to happen in the show. The time for that is LONG past. Everybody knows this, I don’t know why this keeps being an issue….Shenny folk are merely saying it SHOULD have been written like that from the beginning. Or that they wished it had been. There’s something rather fascinating about characters being attracted to others who are in no way appropriate for them. That’s the conflict and interest that you spin out over the series. It worked for Mulder and Scully.

My own preference is to keep Sheldon single, but that’s neither here nor there…

As is probably known, I’m an absolute stickler for Sheldon being “Sheldon”, preferably the Vintage version. I regularly make myself into an utter pain in the arse on this very forum, constantly carping about how they’ve bastardised the character, made him an ignominious buffoon, a redneck, an infantile bigot, etc. If anyone’s sensitive to subtle variations in his personality, it’s me. I would not be able to read Shenny fanfics if indeed Sheldon were “radically changed”. I would choke on my own spleen. I’m sure the people who think Shenny fics feature “radically changed” characters, have merely been unfortunate enough to stumble upon some of those ghastly fics that ex-twilight (probably) fans manage to tap out with two fingers whilst mouth-breathing over the keyboard. Where Sheldon is wearing jeans (inexplicably) and has massive genitalia and a five o clock shadow, and a Texan Twang, and god knows what else that wandered in from fantasy WTF land, but I can assure you that they’re not all like that, and I haven’t met a S/P fancier yet that thinks these stories are anything but wildly hysterical and rather vomit inducing. I’ve been informed such monstrous inaccuracies and idiocies also exist in the Shamy and Lenny fanfics. I think idiocy and OOC depictions are fairly evenly flung about the place. Point is, S/P must be possible in SOME depictions, otherwise what the devil have we Sheldon purists been reading all these years? Good grief, *I* can imagine it working, just because somebody else can’t doesn’t make or break the case.

Incidentally, regarding this “minority” of Shennys I keep seeing bandied about, there’s a shedload of the bastards over at Paradox and on LJ. Same number as there are Shamys and Lennys here combined. So enough with the Minority already!

As for the “fevered imaginations of fanboys and fangirls”…Lord give me strength…I read the threads here regularly, and if anyone takes a departure from reality with a goddamn picnic lunch it’s some of the canon shippers.

Hahaha! I'm not much of a shipper myself but this post is pure brilliance. Where were you 2 years ago when I joined these forums?

Edited by Moonbase

As is probably known, I’m an absolute stickler for Sheldon being “Sheldon”, preferably the Vintage version......

Point is, S/P must be possible in SOME depictions, otherwise what the devil have we Sheldon purists been reading all these years?

Count, good question, what have you been reading?! I need to know......hand it over!

God, I love your rants, Count. You are brilliant!

I disagree with the number of Shennys at Paradox vs the Lennys and Shamys on the forums. A look at the number of posts and individual posters gives the only possible comparison and it's way in favor of the cannons. The big reason for that though may be the screening of possible posters at Paradox to protect the Shenny faithful. The moderator opens one thread, usually per week and the few poster will use it seldom generating more than 200 post over several weeks. Also there are more places for cannon posters to go indicating the larger size of the poster set. Most of the posters at Paradox acknowledge,  it is a small island in a very hostile ocean.

Too much mathematics above, not enough fun. :boredom:

Edited by BangerMain

I disagree with the number of Shennys at Paradox vs the Lennys and Shamys on the forums. A look at the number of posts and individual posters gives the only possible comparison and it's way in favor of the cannons. The big reason for that though may be the screening of possible posters at Paradox to protect the Shenny faithful. The moderator opens one thread, usually per week and the few poster will use it seldom generating more than 200 post over several weeks. Also there are more places for cannon posters to go indicating the larger size of the poster set. Most of the posters at Paradox acknowledge,  it is a small island in a very hostile ocean.

You also forgot to take in account the rabid Shenny bashing that goes on in this site. the BBT fandom is horrible for bashing. (Shenny and Lenny sides of the basing war) It's in my type for worst fandoms up there with MLP Doctor who shipped with anybody and the comic vine hate one batman. It's damn near impossible to get a correct good read since if you hop over to FF.net the exact opposite happens there (With Shenny dwarfing the Shamy and Lenny indivually and nearly together, with Shenny having roughly 1.5 k compared to the 3k. 4k fanfics

I'm going to start this by saying I have nothing against Lenny Shamy (and Howdette) nor do I have any strong love of Shenny, though I'll say the first episode I watched was the Penny blossom story/ the friends with benefit story. So I have a predisposition for Shenny. But I personally never fully started waving Shenny flag because I then watched the first Halloween episode (when Leonard shot down a drunk penny I did start waving the Lenny flag full)

But I will say this, in the past three seasons (5,6,7) I've lost a lot of respect Leonard Amy. Penny and Sheldon (The characters not the actors) (Less so Howardette because the characters weren't well defined to begin with). This is the universal folly of Chuck Lorre and his team, and that's that he and his team have this CHILDISH yes you heard me I said CHILDISH belief that sex is the core aspect to a relationships. Now I'm not immature enough to believe that sex isn't a part to a healthy relationship, but to make it a core is just immature and childish.

A Healthy relationship is based on a equally amount of attraction/respect/give and take (that's not all of course) But the relationships in the Big Bang Theory you never get a true feel that these characters are anything but sex.

Now Let's start with Shamy since it's the most 1d (One dimensional) Shamy is at best a one sided relationship. With Amy having an obsessive fixation on Sheldon to the point of it being unhealthy. The problem continues with how she talks and acts, which essentially boil down to creepy biology metaphors, Creepy lesbian comment about Penny, and of course her her sex fuel obsession with Sheldon. Sheldon on the other hand tolerates her, yes in the love Spell potential he says he feels that his relationship with Amy is very intimate. The problem with that is. It's not, every major point to their relationship is bogged down by the fact that Sheldon had a much stronger friendship Penny. He hugged Penny willingly, he's went more to her advice them anybody else in the series, she was the first person he admitted was attractive (not only in the pilot but also in dumpling paradox. So if he feels Shamy is intimate what is Shenny?

Next let's move onto Lenny. First off the idea of Lenny (as a relationship) is almost a stereotype at this point. The nerdy guy getting the hot girl/the girl next door. But the problem with that is Lenny. Leonard is NOT the sweet hapless nerd you want succeed. He's passive aggressive (Multiple comments to Sheldon) needy (maternal congruence, pants alternative) is willing to stab friends in the back for sex/or relief (Lizard Spock explanation, electric can ope er fluctuation) has broken the bro code (Dating Priya after he made his deal with Howard's, and especially after Raj made it clear he was uncomfortable with it) But most importantly his treatment of Penny.

Let's start with

Asks Penny's advice on cheating

Has flipped his attraction to Penny off when another chick is around (Priya missy and Stephanie)

Has attempted to force her to say I love you

Has stated in an entire episode that all the things he did was for sex

Has spent an entire episode fantasizing about a relationship with Penny that was argue make up sex

Has used his moms treatment of him to get Penny to submit to him

Showed Penny biggest regret to a boat full of people

And those are things I though off the top of my head I. Sure if a rematches the series I could find more.

And finally let's move onto Shenny. As far as I'm concerned the most developed relationship of the entire group (friendship and gf bf). Sheldon like I stated in The Shamy section has went to Penny for advice (the whole jewelry tiara thing, friends with benefits, keeping Stephanie/Leonard together) they have helped each other for no reason (Penny blossom, loaned money, the Tiara) they've helped each other when sick/injured (Soft kitty/Soft kitty as a round)

I'm its as simple as looking where they began, Sheldon tolerating Penny. To their friendship eclipsing that of Howard/Raj, Leonard/Everybody, Amy/Everybody, Bernadette/everybody. Their friendship is the only true show of growth and development in a extremely stagnant series.

• Like 4

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

You also forgot to take in account the rabid Shenny bashing that goes on in this site. the BBT fandom is horrible for bashing. (Shenny and Lenny sides of the basing war) It's in my type for worst fandoms up there with MLP Doctor who shipped with anybody and the comic vine hate one batman. It's damn near impossible to get a correct good read since if you hop over to FF.net the exact opposite happens there (With Shenny dwarfing the Shamy and Lenny indivually and nearly together, with Shenny having roughly 1.5 k compared to the 3k. 4k fanfics

I'm going to start this by saying I have nothing against Lenny Shamy (and Howdette) nor do I have any strong love of Shenny, though I'll say the first episode I watched was the Penny blossom story/ the friends with benefit story. So I have a predisposition for Shenny. But I personally never fully started waving Shenny flag because I then watched the first Halloween episode (when Leonard shot down a drunk penny I did start waving the Lenny flag full)

But I will say this, in the past three seasons (5,6,7) I've lost a lot of respect Leonard Amy. Penny and Sheldon (The characters not the actors) (Less so Howardette because the characters weren't well defined to begin with). This is the universal folly of Chuck Lorre and his team, and that's that he and his team have this CHILDISH yes you heard me I said CHILDISH belief that sex is the core aspect to a relationships. Now I'm not immature enough to believe that sex isn't a part to a healthy relationship, but to make it a core is just immature and childish.

A Healthy relationship is based on a equally amount of attraction/respect/give and take (that's not all of course) But the relationships in the Big Bang Theory you never get a true feel that these characters are anything but sex.

Now Let's start with Shamy since it's the most 1d (One dimensional) Shamy is at best a one sided relationship. With Amy having an obsessive fixation on Sheldon to the point of it being unhealthy. The problem continues with how she talks and acts, which essentially boil down to creepy biology metaphors, Creepy lesbian comment about Penny, and of course her her sex fuel obsession with Sheldon. Sheldon on the other hand tolerates her, yes in the love Spell potential he says he feels that his relationship with Amy is very intimate. The problem with that is. It's not, every major point to their relationship is bogged down by the fact that Sheldon had a much stronger friendship Penny. He hugged Penny willingly, he's went more to her advice them anybody else in the series, she was the first person he admitted was attractive (not only in the pilot but also in dumpling paradox. So if he feels Shamy is intimate what is Shenny?

Next let's move onto Lenny. First off the idea of Lenny (as a relationship) is almost a stereotype at this point. The nerdy guy getting the hot girl/the girl next door. But the problem with that is Lenny. Leonard is NOT the sweet hapless nerd you want succeed. He's passive aggressive (Multiple comments to Sheldon) needy (maternal congruence, pants alternative) is willing to stab friends in the back for sex/or relief (Lizard Spock explanation, electric can ope er fluctuation) has broken the bro code (Dating Priya after he made his deal with Howard's, and especially after Raj made it clear he was uncomfortable with it) But most importantly his treatment of Penny.

Let's start with

Asks Penny's advice on cheating

Has flipped his attraction to Penny off when another chick is around (Priya missy and Stephanie)

Has attempted to force her to say I love you

Has stated in an entire episode that all the things he did was for sex

Has spent an entire episode fantasizing about a relationship with Penny that was argue make up sex

Has used his moms treatment of him to get Penny to submit to him

Showed Penny biggest regret to a boat full of people

And those are things I though off the top of my head I. Sure if a rematches the series I could find more.

And finally let's move onto Shenny. As far as I'm concerned the most developed relationship of the entire group (friendship and gf bf). Sheldon like I stated in The Shamy section has went to Penny for advice (the whole jewelry tiara thing, friends with benefits, keeping Stephanie/Leonard together) they have helped each other for no reason (Penny blossom, loaned money, the Tiara) they've helped each other when sick/injured (Soft kitty/Soft kitty as a round)

I'm its as simple as looking where they began, Sheldon tolerating Penny. To their friendship eclipsing that of Howard/Raj, Leonard/Everybody, Amy/Everybody, Bernadette/everybody. Their friendship is the only true show of growth and development in a extremely stagnant series.

I'm really not going to get into the everlasting argument again as I am containing myself of arguing all about Shamy & Lenny, but I just wanted to say, that friendship does not equal "they should be a romantic couple",. Nobody here is denying that Penny & Sheldon's friendship, while a bickering one, is an important relationship, because it is. It is the argument that "they are good friends therefore they should get together" the one that is certainly not true for everybody. While Penny & Sheldon's relationship works in a friendship, or "frenemies" dynamic, turning them into a couple would absolutely change that dynamic and is what many of us absolutely don't want.

Sheldon calling her names and putting her down and her putting him on his place is cute for friends and is funny, but is not acceptable if they were a couple, and while they have had a lot of meaningful moments in their friendship, those moments are meaningful within the context of their friendship. Shifting that to a romantic setting, adding some underlying romantic intentions/feelings would absolute undermine that and twist all of those moments of friendship. And while many have argued and still argue that "making them fall in love now would not change their friendship on previous seasons" it would, because it would mean that such romantic feelings have begun at some point and is very easy to apply such beginning on any previous point, and such interpretation would be valid. And the friendship that has progressed and given us so many nice moments would be ruined.

They are great friends as yourself said. So... why mess with that? why is that obsession of some portion of the viewership of any program of wanting to pair characters that work great as friends just because? (I'm specially looking at John Watson/Sherlock shippers, and Shenny as well, amongst others). They work well as friends, let them be friends, friendship is way more meaningful a lot of the times than romantic relationships. Romantic/sexual partners come and go, good friends are forever.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 2

Hahaha! I'm not much of a shipper myself but this post is pure brilliance. Where were you 2 years ago when I joined these forums?

Two years ago I was drinking in a Spanish Tavern, and mercifully unaware of this forum. Sometimes I wish I’d remained in ignorance. Or at least remained in the Tavern. I’m sure the owner and I would eventually have had words about this though…

Count, good question, what have you been reading?! I need to know......hand it over!

Er..Most of the stuff I read is littered about other sites than the FF archives. I’ll try to hunt up the vaguely Vintage Sheldon fics and post them to you. Despite jibbering on here, I’m actually violently busy at the moment, so give me a few weeks.

This is an AU one I’ve always liked that I happen to have a bloody link for. Sheldon’s a spaceship;

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7575896/1/Partnership

The author also wrote a rather amusing piss-take of a children’s tale recently, called “Where the Whiny Things Are” or something…I found that enjoyable. But it’s a trifle mean to the other characters, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to anyone here.

A changed Penny? ;)

Heh. No. I prefer my Penny fairly bang on character as well. I think what’s noteworthy, however, is that our conceptions of what constitutes IC changes according to how we personally perceive the characters and indeed interpret the show as a whole. I was making this point in Lionne’s excellent thread about fanfic (no bolt etc). Because the motivations of characters in fanfic depend entirely on the romantic preferences of the author, they’ll strike some readers as incredibly OOC if they deviate from THEIR romantic preferences.

I don’t believe, for example, that Sheldon is wildly in love with Amy and suppressing his desires, so a fanfic where Sheldon is shown acting in such a way will strike me as a little “off” and OOC. I also don’t believe that Sheldon is wildly in love with Penny, obviously, (er…or that he’s a spaceship) but that hypothetical scenario is more in tune with how I perceive his character overall, so most of those fanfics don’t bother me, except the Texified McStupid ones.

For the record, I sometimes find Penny’s behaviour ON THE SHOW out-of-character, when it jars with my conception of her. (As for Sheldon…! Let me get my gun...)

I think the only thing fanfic writers can vaguely get right is speech patterns.

I seem to remember a rather brilliant crossover between Frasier/BBT, where Sheldon gets psychoanalysed by Niles Crane. The speech patterns in that were rather good, as I recollect. They’d have to be, eh! 

Fair enough. I was basing this on a few months ago when I was incredibly, blisteringly bored and counted up all the individual Avatars contributing over several threads on Paradox. Ie, not how MUCH they contribute, but how many individuals in total. Then I counted up the number of individual Avatars within the Shamy and Lenny threads over here. Considering I see the same people here as on that Pink Monstrosity, I discounted it, and just added an extra handful. The results were roughly 45/45, so I left it at that, and went to the pub.

Anyroad, I only feel I’m in a minority on this forum, not anywhere else. So god knows what’s going on…

What I think is disturbing for ALL of us, be it Shennys, Lennys, Shamys, Sheldonites, Nostalgics, Dissipants, is that there’s probably only about 1000 (being generous) of us that actually give a Giant Rat’s arse about any of this. Most of the 20 million viewers are those feckers who write Bazinga on the TBBT FB page. AND they misspell it!

I hope this makes amends.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I love the "imagine that?" fun that you can have with a show. Sheldon and Penny are both smokin' hot and have good rapport. Like The Count said, often the most interesting relationships seem completely mismatched at first.  I'm not all that fond of the photomanipulated Shenny pictures though, but I don't condemn them. Niles and Daphne bizarrely worked to me too, for the most part, and they were polar oppisites personality-wise.

When I was first faced with the concept of Shenny, I didn't get it, but now (platonically) it is one of my preferred ships. Below Sheldon and himself, of course.

Now I do not hold ANYTHING against other ships, (Lenny, Shamy,etc.) but I often find that people fail to realise that there are just as many militant shippers along all ships. Perhaps, if I were to make an obscure ship thread ( i. e. Stuart and Bernadette's dad, Sheldon and mitosis copy Sheldon, Leonard and Professor Proton?!?)  we'd find some "delusional" previously closeted member who lives for the ship. And that's absolutely fine.

There is no such thing as a delusional ship. The less "realistically feasible" the better!

(Jesus what have I got into?)

SHELDON AND MITOSIS COPY SHELDON FTW. I’d watch that all day like a lava-lamp. (If I was high…)

I tried to start an interest in Retired Cop/Neurotic Physicist slash (ie, Mike/Sheldon) on the Paradox site, but that spectacularly failed to take off.

I should probably try harder.

On other matters, yes I loathe Shenny photo-manipulation as well. And Shamy photo-manipulation, and indeed any “romantic” manipulation. What I DO approve of is “Sad Keanu” manips, with him and his bloody sandwich, riding Orcas, or in Escher etchings, or eating a small version of himself. Etc.

No I don’t know what you’ve started here Wisp, I only signed in so I could look at your goddamn caricatures in the fan art thread. They’re bloody marvellous.

Everybody look at them immediately.

Damn you Count, that's our crazy jig :p

Apologies.

I'll stop whoring it around then. It's just...LOOK AT THEM. And Ray Charles. And Murph being a tit in the background...

• Like 2

I'm really not going to get into the everlasting argument again as I am containing myself of arguing all about Shamy & Lenny, but I just wanted to say, that friendship does not equal "they should be a romantic couple",. Nobody here is denying that Penny & Sheldon's friendship, while a bickering one, is an important relationship, because it is. It is the argument that "they are good friends therefore they should get together" the one that is certainly not true for everybody. While Penny & Sheldon's relationship works in a friendship, or "frenemies" dynamic, turning them into a couple would absolutely change that dynamic and is what many of us absolutely don't want.

Sheldon calling her names and putting her down and her putting him on his place is cute for friends and is funny, but is not acceptable if they were a couple, and while they have had a lot of meaningful moments in their friendship, those moments are meaningful within the context of their friendship. Shifting that to a romantic setting, adding some underlying romantic intentions/feelings would absolute undermine that and twist all of those moments of friendship. And while many have argued and still argue that "making them fall in love now would not change their friendship on previous seasons" it would, because it would mean that such romantic feelings have begun at some point and is very easy to apply such beginning on any previous point, and such interpretation would be valid. And the friendship that has progressed and given us so many nice moments would be ruined.

They are great friends as yourself said. So... why mess with that? why is that obsession of some portion of the viewership of any program of wanting to pair characters that work great as friends just because? (I'm specially looking at John Watson/Sherlock shippers, and Shenny as well, amongst others). They work well as friends, let them be friends, friendship is way more meaningful a lot of the times than romantic relationships. Romantic/sexual partners come and go, good friends are forever.

Are you kidding? it would be completely wild. Funny and intense. They are so evenly matched and learning to understand each other would be a pleasure to watch. They have the same inner softness deep inside which would connect them in the end. 

Apologies.

I'll stop whoring it around then. It's just...LOOK AT THEM. And Ray Charles. And Murph being a tit in the background...

LOL! I have to see that movie again soon :) of to the fan art thread...............

• Like 2