The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
annieogly

Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

To solve my own problem you could make one of Penny's grandparents a great scientist that died before Penny was old enough to remember him and make a cousin a great scientist.  I think she still needs a vehicle to express intelligence or talent but perhaps not as big of one because she would have potential in her DNA.

It still leaves the problem that she has no reason to desire him though.

Even when he was talked into giving the gift of a child to the world by Amy Sheldon wanted Penny to be the surrogate and help raise the child.  I really do not think it would take that much to get him to the next step.

I actually find many of Sheldon’s insults of Penny intriguing.

His Meemaw is a Texas country woman who grew up during the Great Depression and World War II, for example I would be willing to bet she can churn butter and sew a dress out of a gunny sack.

Shedlon is kind, honest, feisty, and brainy. Pretty much Penny’s description of the perfect guy,

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

That is the one thing Penny and Sheldon have none of.

Hey Doug; what do you think this means, you understand the subtext far better than I; it must be from a recent TV guide...

From TV Guide:

Speaking of sex and Sheldon--will he ever lose his virginity? Mayim Bialik's Amy is determined to get him in the sack, and she is turning up the heat in recent episodes. But might that hookup ruin a good thing? "Maybe so, and we're mindful of that in the writers room," Molaro says. "We're taking their relationship in baby steps and slowly going towards something. But that something--whatever it is--won't happen for a long time. So don't worry about it now!"

I always take interviews with a grain of salt.

The writers are know to lie when it suites them.

Calling what Amy has done recently slow is just bizarre.

She has used everything up to the kitchen sink.

Europa I do hope for the spring they bring back some of these classic sparring scenes; they do have wonderful chemistry. Panty Pinata was one of the best shows....

I can not help but wonder what the writers thought about “The Fish Guts Displacement” when compared to “The Adhesive Duck Deficiency”.

• Like 1

The sex comment stood out for me. The one constant between Leonard and Penny is their sex life. She has made other remarks about their love being boring and whatnot but we always knew they agreed in the bedroom and did a lot of their making up there. I took this one comment as Penny's jealousy talking but if there are any others in the future and I might start to wonder.

I know P/L's life sex does seem to be their only glue. Though in the past the writers have made similar comments. In the episode where Howard's mother is at the hospital Penny & Priya gossip about Leonard's technique & Penny says; don't fall asleep on him. I'd say, the writers being male, the main point is that Leonard tries at foreplay because he is not the King of the Main Event... But it's as you say something to look for, the writers pick it up to show discontent etc...

• Like 1

@Ar Diem It still leaves the problem that she has no reason to desire him though.

good question, but the answer is - Penny has a father fixation and Sheldon fits the bill. As Doug pointed out; they both have the same background. Sheldon has grown up in the hardscrabble, shooting, farming country.  Plus he's the successful alpha male. Penny is more like his mother and Meemaw than either of the other females on the show. And yes men do marry their mothers....id is more powerful than the super-ego..

@Doug thanks I had no clue; I was wondering as  Amy slow? They've gone from booty calls, phone sex, flashing, bdsm...I don't know what's left for the writers to come up with. I agree about the two episodes. This season look how delightful The Re-Entry Minimization  Sheldon-Penny's game night was. So much charisma, witty dialogue;pure comedic gold. I wonder what they are saving it for...

Hmm last show, Egg Salad Equivalency  there is the : no I'd never cheat on you...so Doug I guess this is the lead to sweeps with the L/P break-up. Everything else looked to me like an attempt to keep the new viewers from syndication: classic games, trivia, even old Howard. I think the female scenes: girls night/council of ladies are taking the place of the old Penny-Sheldon interaction and it doesn't work. They've never, with the exception of Penny, incorporated the women into the group...B & Amy don't have nerdy interests -what's the point.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
Hmm last show, Egg Salad Equivalency  there is the : no I'd never cheat on you...so Doug I guess this is the lead to sweeps with the L/P break-up. Everything else looked to me like an attempt to keep the new viewers from syndication: classic games, trivia, even old Howard. I think the female scenes: girls night/council of ladies are taking the place of the old Penny-Sheldon interaction and it doesn't work. They've never, with the exception of Penny, incorporated the women into the group...B & Amy don't have nerdy interests -what's the point.

Amy wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons two episodes back. That, in my book does count as a nerdy interest. And she has a PhD in Neurobiology. That also qualifies as "nerdy". We can also infer that Amy has been watching Star Trek, hence the nurse uniform and her taking the DVD set of Star Trek NG from Sheldon in Habitation Configuration. And I won't say more because it is a spoiler

Not al nerds like the same things you know? Amy is definitely a nerd. Is she the same kind of nerd as, let's say Sheldon? No, she's not, But she's a nerd nonetheless. 

Is Penny a nerd? No. Getting hooked up on online gaming and understanding a couple of references is not being a nerd. 

And in any case, I don't see how that is an indication of any breakup whatsoever. 

Edited by Sursonica

Yes I always find people saying things like that scary.

So far at least Penny, Bernadette and Leonard have all said some variant of this.

In a mystery or a drama this would be a giant flashing neon sign.

BBT is a comedy so just a small flashing sign.

I do expect Alex to be back probably towards the end of sweeps.

I am actually starting to worry about a cliff hanger with Alex.

It is funny that in many ways Penny is the nerdiest of the three girls.

Penny

“Kirk Cheated”

“Do or do not, there is no try”

• Like 1

Not really trying to be annoying here, but I really don't understand how can you say that Penny is a nerd but Amy & Bernadette aren't.

I'm sorry it just doesn't make any sense.

Just because. Penny said, what? a couple of star trek references makes her a nerd but Amy & Bernadette, two PhD 's in science are not nerds?

And where does this all fit on the Shenny ship & the "imminent " Lenny & Shamy breakups? I'm just trying to follow up the reasoning here.

• Like 1

Amy wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons two episodes back. That, in my book does count as a nerdy interest. And she has a PhD in Neurobiology. That also qualifies as "nerdy". We can also infer that Amy has been watching Star Trek, hence the nurse uniform and her taking the DVD set of Star Trek NG from Sheldon in Habitation Configuration. And I won't say more because it is a spoiler

Not al nerds like the same things you know? Amy is definitely a nerd. Is she the same kind of nerd as, let's say Sheldon? No, she's not, But she's a nerd nonetheless. 

Is Penny a nerd? No. Getting hooked up on online gaming and understanding a couple of references is not being a nerd. 

And in any case, I don't see how that is an indication of any breakup whatsoever. 

The show is about nerdy guys and their nerdy interests. Just because you are a scientist doesn't make you a nerd; Bernadette isn't the least bit nerdy; she is pretty, sociable and had a handsome boyfriend (Glen). She has nil nerdy interests.  Amy is scientist but isn't a nerd either. She enjoys; going to the mall with her girlfriends, wearing pretty Victoria's Secret underwear, her boyfriend and showing him off to her relatives, putting on make-up, waxing and high-heel shoes, being intimate with her boyfriend, being with the 'cool girls'.

Amy doesn't like Star Trek, she insulted both Wil Wheaton & LeVar Burton & suggested to Sheldon that as 'punishment' she not go to the summer premiere of the new Star Trek film . She knows about Star Trek & put on the uniform to please her boyfriend. She plays Fun with Flags and Counterfactuals, she says Dragons & Dungeons sounds fun to please her boyfriend. She never initiates any of this. She doesn't enjoy comics, gaming, paintball, bowling, cosplay or Cons.

The one time Amy suggested a game that she repeatedly plays and enjoys is: Twister.  Utterly normal and banal.

Penny, on the other hand, took up playing Halo, before she went out with Leonard & enjoys it. She joined the guys bowling team and is good at it. She's a great shot at paintball.  She also started playing Age of Conan with Sheldon and enjoys it; her interest has zero to do with Leonard and pleasing him. So Penny is a gamer. There is another gamer nerd on the show: Wil Wheaton, who also happens to be an actor. Stuart is an art school graduate and is a nerd. Actors, artists etc can be nerds. As to Penny's Superman and Star Trek references, actually it shows that you are part of that culture, by referencing it. So Penny also is actively interested in Star Trek and Batman/comics, she's a gamer, likes bowling and is good at paintball and pictionary.

I finally understood why so many fans objected to the new women on the show; it wasn't women per se, but that, except for Penny, they aren't engaged in geek/nerd culture. They represent the boring forces of normality and repression.  The writers are at fault they need to hire geeky girls or at least read The Mary Sue http://www.themarysue.com/

Finally Penny has nerdy interests but she doesn't do them with Leonard; they argue and have sex. Amy actively despises Sheldon's pastimes and friends. Not a recipe for happiness. But we'll see....

The show is about nerdy guys and their nerdy interests. Just because you are a scientist doesn't make you a nerd; Bernadette isn't the least bit nerdy; she is pretty, sociable and had a handsome boyfriend (Glen). She has nil nerdy interests.  Amy is scientist but isn't a nerd either. She enjoys; going to the mall with her girlfriends, wearing pretty Victoria's Secret underwear, her boyfriend and showing him off to her relatives, putting on make-up, waxing and high-heel shoes, being intimate with her boyfriend, being with the 'cool girls'.

Amy doesn't like Star Trek, she insulted both Wil Wheaton & LeVar Burton & suggested to Sheldon that as 'punishment' she not go to the summer premiere of the new Star Trek film . She knows about Star Trek & put on the uniform to please her boyfriend. She plays Fun with Flags and Counterfactuals, she says Dragons & Dungeons sounds fun to please her boyfriend. She never initiates any of this. She doesn't enjoy comics, gaming, paintball, bowling, cosplay or Cons.

The one time Amy suggested a game that she repeatedly plays and enjoys is: Twister.  Utterly normal and banal.

Penny, on the other hand, took up playing Halo, before she went out with Leonard & enjoys it. She joined the guys bowling team and is good at it. She's a great shot at paintball.  She also started playing Age of Conan with Sheldon and enjoys it; her interest has zero to do with Leonard and pleasing him. So Penny is a gamer. There is another gamer nerd on the show: Wil Wheaton, who also happens to be an actor. Stuart is an art school graduate and is a nerd. Actors, artists etc can be nerds. As to Penny's Superman and Star Trek references, actually it shows that you are part of that culture, by referencing it. So Penny also is actively interested in Star Trek and Batman/comics, she's a gamer, likes bowling and is good at paintball and pictionary.

I finally understood why so many fans objected to the new women on the show; it wasn't women per se, but that, except for Penny, they aren't engaged in geek/nerd culture. They represent the boring forces of normality and repression.  The writers are at fault they need to hire geeky girls or at least read The Mary Sue http://www.themarysue.com/

Finally Penny has nerdy interests but she doesn't do them with Leonard; they argue and have sex. Amy actively despises Sheldon's pastimes and friends. Not a recipe for happiness. But we'll see....

I just don't agree at all. I think you are confusing the "science fiction nerd" term with a nerd. 

This is the first definition of nerd that comes out 

Nerd  
/nərd/

Noun
  1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
  2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

Penny is not a nerd in any universe. About what you stated, it is really flawed. 

Penny didn't "take up Halo". She played only once and when the guys asked her to play again, she went dancing with some other girls instead. We never saw her playing Halo ever again. 
Bowling is NOT a nerdy activity. She's good at paintball because she is the total opposite of a nerd, because she's athletic and because she's a good shot. Not because she's "nerdy". So no, I'm sorry but this is one argument that I will never agree on. Penny is NOT a nerd. She used to tip cows in Nebraska for heaven's sake.Also, Penny is the one who is always rolling her eyes and calling the guy's hobbies "stupid". Since episode 1.

Amy & Bernadette ARE nerds, the fact that they are not into comic books or star trek doesn't mean they are not nerds. Niot all nerds are the same. 

I also absolutely disagree with your statement that Amy "despises" Sheldon's hobbies and his friends... I mean.. really? has she ever said anything about "despising" Sheldon's friends? or hating them? or not liking them? when did that episode air?
Regarding his hobbies, if she despised them so much, then why is she an active participant in many of them? They started Counterfactuals long before they started dating, when they were simply friends and she was not interested at all romantically in him. So, you argument about she doing it only "to please his boyfriend" sinks right there. She was in Fun with Flags since the beginning. She has a very big part on it, and I don't think she would do it if she despised it so much.

I don't agree at all, and I feel like I'm having to point out the obvious here. It's a bit frustrating, and I really don't see why is it necessary to twist the reality of the show, specially to attack Amy in this case, just to make the argument of the Shenny look better. 

Wasn't the argument that the Shenny was great because of "opposites attract". Why now changing the argument to say that Sheldon and Penny need to be together because they share more interests (an argument that has no bases in reality?).

But whateaver, I'm out. I wanted to know why you were saying that, now I know, and that was my question. now it has been answered, with a very very flawed argument, but it has been answered nonetheless. 

I let your shippers thread alone now.

Bye, have fun shipping the Shenny-.
  • Like 1

Penny is not a nerd in any universe. About what you stated, it is really flawed. 

Amy & Bernadette ARE nerds, the fact that they are not into comic books or star trek doesn't mean they are not nerds. Niot all nerds are the same. 

Penny and Alice are real world nerds.

Amy and Bernadette are Hollywood nerds.

There are so many conflicting definitions of what constitutes a "nerd" and a "geek" and how to differentiate between them that this argument will likely never reach a consensus of who fits into which, if any, category.  

Just sayin'. 

Here this might be helpful; remember from The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis  Dr. David Underhill the handsome McArthur grant, motorcycle-riding physicist that Penny dates. Do you consider him a nerd?

No he's a smart handsome guy with a social life and cool hobbies. That wouldn't make for a funny sitcom; cool smart people. Or even uncool smart people trying to join the cool set. They'd just be pathetic.  What makes TBBT so great is that it celebrates uncool nerd culture.

As Doug says Hollywood considers any plain smart girl or a girl with glasses a nerd. A real world nerd is Penny or Alice the girl who drew her own comic books that Leonard met at the comic book store.  I know plenty of girls into anime and manga.

ok, let's say, just for the heck of it, that Penny is a nerd (she's not BTW)

wasn't your argument that the Shenny was so amazing because it was a "opposites attract" then? Because if it is still is, and judging by your argument in these last couple of pages, then Amy would be the opposite of Sheldon, then she would be the "opposites attract" thing, while Penny would be the one who is "similar" to him.

Or the opposites atrract thing is not in place anymore?

I don't get it. (actually I do, but it doesn't make sense)

Edited by Sursonica

They are crazy Sursonica! I will never understand it.

That is probably because you are completely irrational on this subject.  I doubt even you knows why the Shenny ship makes you behave so insane. 

• Like 1

That is probably because you are completely irrational on this subject.  I doubt even you knows why the Shenny ship makes you behave so insane. 

How am i irrational? The creators have said it will never happen. Kaley thinks people who ship it are nuts.

• Like 1

ok, let's say, just for the heck of it, that Penny is a nerd (she's not BTW)

wasn't your argument that the Shenny was so amazing because it was a "opposites attract" then? Because if it is still is, and judging by your argument in these last couple of pages, then Amy would be the opposite of Sheldon, then she would be the "opposites attract" thing, while Penny would be the one who is "similar" to him.

Or the opposites atrract thing is not in place anymore?

I don't get it. (actually I do, but it doesn't make sense)

I pointed out that Penny and Sheldon share common interests: like gaming, comic and star trek culture, bowling, paint ball etc; the glue that makes for a happy couple.  But they are opposites. Penny is a kind generous, sensitive, unanalytical extrovert; Sheldon the opposite. Makes for balance. To make it short: she's heart, he's head. That's why it's a classic movie couple.

Amy on the other hand is an analytical introvert, like Sheldon, who (unlike Sheldon) yearns for marriage, and wishes to integrate and be accepted by mainstream culture/society - things Sheldon's despises.

Notice that Sheldon's only friend from choice (not from circumstance like Leonard, the roommate, and Howard & Raj, Leonard's friends) is Wil Wheaton an actor and gamer. Ergo Penny...

I pointed out that Penny and Sheldon share common interests: like gaming, comic and star trek culture, bowling, paint ball etc; the glue that makes for a happy couple.  But they are opposites. Penny is a kind generous, sensitive, unanalytical extrovert; Sheldon the opposite. Makes for balance. To make it short: she's heart, he's head. That's why it's a classic movie couple.

Amy on the other hand is an analytical introvert, like Sheldon, who (unlike Sheldon) yearns for marriage, and wishes to integrate and be accepted by mainstream culture/society - things Sheldon's despises.

Notice that Sheldon's only friend from choice (not from circumstance like Leonard, the roommate, and Howard & Raj, Leonard's friends) is Wil Wheaton an actor and gamer. Ergo Penny...

I guess that's a matter of personal taste and perception.

But I must disagree on Wheaton being his only friend from choice. Amy was his choice as a friend since the beginning. Raj & Howard only forced him to go meet her, but the exchange of messages and emails and their friendship began on Sheldon's own accord, and stuck to being her friend even if at first the guys and Penny didn't like Amy. He told Leonard to buck up and continued being her friend, so I must disagree on your statement. 

Regarding Penny, he said so himself that he only likes her because Leonard made him like her. That was on The Habitation Configuration and he used those words. So no, Penny is not his friend on his own accord and he has said so himself on the show, on camera.

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 1

Regarding Penny, he said so himself that he only likes her because Leonard made him like her. That was on The Habitation Configuration and he used those words. So no, Penny is not his friend on his own accord and he has said so himself on the show, on camera.

Yep!

• Like 1

How am i irrational? The creators have said it will never happen. Kaley thinks people who ship it are nuts.

Really? When did she say the word, "nuts" about Shenny shippers?? I know she once said she doesn't care for the idea unless it's some type of nightmare sequence but, really?? You go to such extremes to prove your points. Not cool to put words in her mouth like that.

Monique

• Like 1

I guess that's a matter of personal taste and perception.

But I must disagree on Wheaton being his only friend from choice. Amy was his choice as a friend since the beginning. Raj & Howard only forced him to go meet her, but the exchange of messages and emails and their friendship began on Sheldon's own accord, and stuck to being her friend even if at first the guys and Penny didn't like Amy. He told Leonard to buck up and continued being her friend, so I must disagree on your statement. 

Regarding Penny, he said so himself that he only likes her beca Wuse Leonard made him like her. That was on The Habitation Configuration and he used those words. So no, Penny is not his friend on his own accord and he has said so himself on the show, on camera.

If not for Howard and Raj, Sheldon would never have met Amy. Sheldon did correspond, meet and regarded Dr. Plimpton as a friend. So we can say that Sheldon meeting Amy was solely due to circumstance but he did maintain the friendship.

In The Spaghetti Catalyst Penny and Leonard break up and Sheldon secretly maintains his friendship with Penny. This is in season 3. That's a friendship of choice; she enters their shower in the first episode as a neighbor she is neither Leonard's friend nor girlfriend. Now I agree Sheldon said those words,in Season 6 he's also previously insulted her and called her a 'gorilla' and and many other insulting things. So why would Sheldon from season 3 maintain his friendship with someone who is uneducated and whom he insults? That's classic; the fighting couple who are ultimately attracted to one another and goes right back to Shakespeare, as Doug said the opposite of love is indifference. Sheldon is oblivious to Amy's sexuality not Penny's.

Really? When did she say the word, "nuts" about Shenny shippers?? I know she once said she doesn't care for the idea unless it's some type of nightmare sequence but, really?? You go to such extremes to prove your points. Not cool to put words in her mouth like that.

Monique

tumblr_m43evt15I41r208zko1_250f_zps38b25

She thinks something's wrong with the people who ship them. "nuts"

Edited by Slicknickshady
  • Like 1

Who cares?  Oh, wait, irrational people care.  You see enemies where there are none.  You have made something that is silly fun extremely important.  You are defending Lenny which is FICTIONAL relationship inside a TV show.  No rational person would be threatened by people engaging in a little fantasy but you attack it at every turn.

Get it through your thick head... the Shenny people don't care that it will never happen. They are just playing a "what if?" game.  The only person in this that is truly delusional is you for thinking it matters even a little.

Kaley probably thinks people who post on a message board about the show are nuts too.  Would that make you stop?

Nothing important is happening here.  It is a message board about a TV show.  We are all just killing some time.  No wise person would take anything here seriously.

Edited by Ar Diem
  • Like 4