Penny & Sheldon Shippers Thread

Gotta agree here. Shenny will never happen, but if some fans want to wallow in the delusion in their own thread, why not just leave them to it? We know they're never going to change (over a dozen years of being in the "Daria" fandom and dealing with Daria/Trent shippers has taught me that), so let them have their fun in peace. We have the rest of the forum in which to live in reality. :D

Sent from my Asus Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Reality? none of this is reality. Shippers are all very much the same IMHO, whether their couple of choice is canon or not.

• Like 1

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn’t want to aid in this pointless discussion because I’d prefer to not start bleeding from the eyeballs in frustration. However, merely reading it is making me try to chew my face off. So I’m rat

It is breaking a rule.  Common etiquette.  If you see a little girl having a tea party with stuffed animals do you break up her fun by making her see reality?  What the admin here has done is said you

I think it's fair to respect Tripper's guidelines. And people need a comfortable place to go and discuss their thing or they will leave. There is an economics concept of a public good. Shipping pairin

Posted Images

Sorry, Moonbase, not the same, but you just keep on believing it if it helps you sleep at night. ;) In any event, I've said my piece, so I will now bow out and leave the Shenny shippers to their thing.

Sorry, Moonbase, not the same, but you just keep on believing it if it helps you sleep at night. ;) In any event, I've said my piece, so I will now bow out and leave the Shenny shippers to their thing.

I'm not a shenny at all. I just get bored of all the shamy threads and like something different. I'm not technicailly a shipper of any kind. I like the characters as individuals.

Edited by Moonbase

Okay, fresh start for the thread, though I will say that the amount of hatred for Shenny truly amuses me!

Don't believe so much in "TPTB". As someone who has been in fandom since I was a young kid, I have heard series creators deny the idea of ships and future plots to the end of the earth because 'spilling the beans' too early or out of their control makes them nuts. As others have said, actor's opinions don't matter, they can cry about it all they want- but they aren't the writers, and they're obligated to act out the plots that are written for them. Plus, what fun would it be if they flat out said "Oh, Shamy will happen in episodes 9, 11, and 13 of this season, but it will be Shenny in the end, or Lamy, or Lenny, or Raj/Stuart or whatever combination you can come up with.

We've casually watched The Big Bang theory for a while, but we got the seasons on dvd recently and really watching it, I started getting Shenny tingles and subtexts everywhere, and while I also love Lenny, (and Leonard) I also could easily see Shenny being endgame. They are learning important lessons about relationships from Leonard and Amy- who, incidently, are working so hard on these relationships with the people they love, kind of oblivious to the fact that they both basically want the same things in life. (Commitment, sex, a family, social acceptance) Of course, what does Sheldon want? A Nobel prize, and Penny wants fame. Those desires don't need a relationship to be fulfilled, so their reluctance to truly commit is a bit understandable.

(Though both relationships are exaggerated for comedic purposes, a couple that goes as long as Lenny without saying they love each other? A couple like Shamy that have gone, what, two years without a kiss? Not normal. Howard and Bernadette's relationship has been the only normal relationship we've really seen.)

• Like 1

Okay, fresh start for the thread, though I will say that the amount of hatred for Shenny truly amuses me!

Don't believe so much in "TPTB". As someone who has been in fandom since I was a young kid, I have heard series creators deny the idea of ships and future plots to the end of the earth because 'spilling the beans' too early or out of their control makes them nuts. As others have said, actor's opinions don't matter, they can cry about it all they want- but they aren't the writers, and they're obligated to act out the plots that are written for them. Plus, what fun would it be if they flat out said "Oh, Shamy will happen in episodes 9, 11, and 13 of this season, but it will be Shenny in the end, or Lamy, or Lenny, or Raj/Stuart or whatever combination you can come up with.

We've casually watched The Big Bang theory for a while, but we got the seasons on dvd recently and really watching it, I started getting Shenny tingles and subtexts everywhere, and while I also love Lenny, (and Leonard) I also could easily see Shenny being endgame. They are learning important lessons about relationships from Leonard and Amy- who, incidently, are working so hard on these relationships with the people they love, kind of oblivious to the fact that they both basically want the same things in life. (Commitment, sex, a family, social acceptance) Of course, what does Sheldon want? A Nobel prize, and Penny wants fame. Those desires don't need a relationship to be fulfilled, so their reluctance to truly commit is a bit understandable.

(Though both relationships are exaggerated for comedic purposes, a couple that goes as long as Lenny without saying they love each other? A couple like Shamy that have gone, what, two years without a kiss? Not normal. Howard and Bernadette's relationship has been the only normal relationship we've really seen.)

Commenting on the part I bolded above:  I think you're kind of missing the point about L&P and S&A in that their relationships are not supposed to be "normal" in that regard.  L&P each had a lot of baggage to overcome and, surprisingly, Penny is probably more insecure when it comes to true love than Leonard has ever been, which is why it took her so long to say "I love you".

And as far as the Shamy goes, there's nothing but unusual going on there--for a reason.  Sheldon is one of the most unusual people on TV and he's not going to have a conventional romantic experience.

You may distrust TPTB, but in this case, I don't think they're playing coy at all about the impossibility of the Shenny.

Great post, and I agree. No one knows what will happen for sure. We can imagine Lenny will be together at the end. There's nothing wrong with that ending in the slightest. But the final show might be years in the future given the success of the show. Maybe the writers will get bored and decide to change things.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Great post, and I agree. No one knows what will happen for sure. We can imagine Lenny will be together at the end. There's nothing wrong with that ending in the slightest. But the final show might be years in the furure given the success of the show. Maybe the writers will get bored and decide to change things.

Totally agree, we don't know until it's done. I certainly can see the Lenny, it's funny, it works, but yes that will mean more misunderstandings and break-ups until the end of the show, which is dull and trite. they certainly won't have them marry. They are changing Sheldon a lot this year; how much is too much. I rather love homo novus....

Honestly, at this point I am inclined to believe that a pairing between Sheldon/Penny at a romantic level would be completely catastrophic to the show. Imagine Friends; Instead of Rachel/Ross and Phoebe/Mike, it would be Phoebe Ross with Rachel/Mike. Scrubs with Carla/JD and Turk/Elliot instead of Elliot/JD and Turk/Carla ,Charlie Harper paired with Judith or something along these lines. It's not that Shenny is a terrible ship, but if it were too hypothetically happen, the entire dynamic of the series would be so twisted that it would off put a lot of loyal, long time fans including myself and this seems to be the most logical explanation for the way the writers treated this pairing. Most of the time, in other series they wouldn't straight up reject it. The accepted procedure is to say something along the lines of "anything can happen" but to say it is straight up off their list shows how unrealistic this pairing really is six seasons into the series.

Edited by Projekt

Posts have been deleted from this thread - again. So here's another reminder of the purpose of this thread: it's for people who want to ship Sheldon & Penny. They don't need people repeatedly trying to convince them they're wrong. It's one thread where they can discuss this amongst themselves without being caught up in what has been, at times, not a particularly pleasant debate.

Although this is a discussion forum and so debate and opposing viewpoints are of course welcome, it hasn't been going very well when it comes to this particular subject. That's why this thread was created. To offer a place where the small number of people who ship Shenny can be insulated from the larger, and at times more confrontational, people who don't. So if you don't feel you have anything helpful to add to this specific discussion and don't think you can stay within the narrow remit of this thread, please don't post in this thread.

Feel free to ship Lenny or discuss why you don't think Shenny will happen in others threads, but the aggressive style of 'debating' that has occasionally been going on will not be accepted.

I can't read all the posts all the time, so if you do ever see a post you think is out of line, please hit the alert button underneath the post to bring it to my attention.

As a Harry Potter fan I am used to all kinds of shippers. Really, ALL kinds. And I respect all the different visions on that matter. Never read TBBT fics, but I do find the idea of Sheldon/Penny interesting. I wonder what would have happened if they took the other way with Sheldon instead of the guy we see now.

The Bakersfield episode was oh so disappointing; it felt like the Wil Wheaton/LeVar Burton episode. Get the Trek fans excited and then make them miserable. I don't understand the thinking behind it. Sheldon ready to give up, one of his greatest qualities is not giving a damn what the average person thinks. I found that deeply depressing. Are they planning on turning him into a mediocrity?

As for the women, Doug and I've said this before - that was just plain insulting. There are real girls with genuine geeky interests, doing this 'cause your boyfriends like it is pathetic and sexist. Ugh....I'm thinking about drifting to cable, they write a better class of female character.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl
The Bakersfield episode was oh so disappointing; it felt like the Wil Wheaton/LeVar Burton episode. Get the Trek fans excited and then make them miserable. I don't understand the thinking behind it. Sheldon ready to give up, one of his greatest qualities is not giving a damn what the average person thinks. I found that deeply depressing. Are they planning on turning him into a mediocrity?

As for the women, Doug and I've said this before - that was just plain insulting. There are real girls with genuine geeky interests, doing this 'cause your boyfriends like it is pathetic and sexist. Ugh....I'm thinking about drifting to cable, they write a better class of female character.

the three women on this show are not ALL women in the world. They don't claim to be the "representation of all womanhood" or anything of the sort. 

• Like 2

I think there is a difference between not caring what the average person thinks and not caring what an entire diner full of people thinks.

To your second point, I disagree because they each said they had never read one before.  If they had tried it and disliked it but then did it anyway for the men in their lives it would be characterizing them as weak.  We also don't know if their interest will remain or if it is a one time experimental thing.

They did insult Penny again though.

Overall though potentially giving Penny a common interest with Sheldon would seem to help your cause not hurt it.  Holding her own in a comic oriented debate could open his eyes toward her.