The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJistheBOMB

What Kind Of Nerd Are You?

The Big Bang Theory is full of nerds. Is there a part of you that's a nerd too? Everyone share your nerdy side! Anything goes, even if it's the same of someone elses or even if it's not that nerdy. It's just for fun.

For me, I'm simply a paranormal and cryptozoology nerd :-p. I've found this stuff fascinating for as long as I can remember. You'd laugh at the amount of TV shows I DVR related to these subjects. LOL.

Monique

Edited by MJistheBOMB

I'm a sci-fi and cult TV nerd. Most of the stuff I watch has a geeky, supernatural or science fiction theme. My step dad collected comics and is a Dr Who fan.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

I used to be in all things paranormal growing up as I am an X-Files geek, but as I went more and more into science I became more and more skeptical. I also love videogames and anime. I'm sorry, but Japanese comics/cartoons are sooooo much better than any other out there. And science and technology, of course. I wouldn't say I'm a sci-fi geek per se but it is the only genre where I find most of my favorite movies (massive Matrix nerd) and books and shows, I'm just very selective with what I like. 

Edited by spook

I'm a science (physics) nerd. And a TBBT nerd. I do enjoy sci-fi, but not to the level of obsession, i.e. I don't hang out for hours at night on sci-fi forums. :p

I'm also a detective stories afficionado.

I find myself more of a wannabe nerd than anything.  I love everything that generally falls into the nerd stereo type; superheros, video games, sci fi, star wars, role playing games, things like this but I've found that the environment I live in makes it extremely difficult to follow through with some of these interests.  For example I would love to sit down and learn 3D chess or play D and D for hours on end but have no one else who would even be remotely interested in those kinds of things.  I would dress up as the justice league in a heart beat if i had friends willing to participate, and i would spend a weekend locked in my apartment with friends playing star wars on line if they would to but alas I'm stuck with my xbox, gamecube, classic nintendo, and atari for my nerdy support lol

Edited by C-Trayne

I have a mix of the TBBT character´s characteristics:

+ I have my spot in the living room and when I have guest in the house and I am forced to give my spot to someone then I become crazy (even I am not able to use it in that moment) but I suffer in secret, not like Sheldon :)

* Like Stuart I have a Degree in Art, but I don´t know if in USA means the same. I know he is always complaining but I think it is amazing to have a Comic Shop and to sleep in  there...ohhh the smell of the comics...delicious :p

* I have my comics colection and they are my treasure.

* I can spend 7 hours in a museum (I did that so many times)

* Like Amy I had a difficult teenager life and sometimes I feel she is using my teenager story (of course sometimes they are making it more funny and exaggerated :) )

*Sometimes Leonard´s life is matching with me too.

* I love Star Wars, Star Trek, time machines, sci-fi, etc

* Like Sheldon I need to remember/learn sometimes what is the social convention for each situation and to force myself to act by it (it is not coming in a natural way as I can see most of people do!) sometimes I am succeful....

I like the story of the things like Sheldon and sometimes I tell it to others like Sheldon do.

* I like to go very deep in the details of the things like the guys do in the program, doing things most of people don´t do like to learn a new language/script for knowing more about a culture, etc.

* I read lot of books.

* When I was a kid I was "the smarty" to my family and they were making jokes :(

* Some people just told me I am a strange person :(

*etc..

But as C-Trayne is saying, it is for me too very difficult to find people with the same interest I have so I am alone here. Most of people I know don´t know what are the things I real like. So to watch these guys from TBBT make me feel finally I am part of a group with people enjoying the thinks I like. I feel envy of Penny living near them and meeting them :icon_redface:

Edited by Lissie
  • Like 5

I have a mix of the TBBT character´s characteristics:

* Like Amy I had a difficult teenager life and sometimes I feel she is using my teenager story (of course sometimes they are making it more funny and exaggerated :) )

*Sometimes Leonard´s life is matching with me too.

* Like Sheldon I need to remember/learn sometimes what is the social convention for each situation and to force myself to act by it (it is not coming in a natural way as I can see most of people do!) sometimes I am succeful....

* I like to go very deep in the details of the things like the guys do in the program, doing things most of people don´t do like to learn a new language/script for knowing more about a culture, etc.

* I read lot of books.

* When I was a kid I was "the smarty" to my family and they were making jokes :(

* Some people just told me I am a strange person :(

*etc..

But as C-Trayne is saying, it is for me too very difficult to find people with the same interest I have so I am alone here. Most of people I know don´t know what are the things I real like. So to watch these guys from TBBT make me feel finally I am part of a group with people enjoying the thinks I like. I feel envy of Penny living near them and meeting them :icon_redface:

Indeed. Story of my life too.

• Like 1

Star Trek fan, admitted owner of The Klingon Dictionary, love Dr. Who (this is a must show) & cult shows like The Prisoner and The Avengers; watched all this stuff as a kid with my dad. I had an awesome comic book collection once, but I can't get back into it. Hmm, total Roman history and Latin geek ( I have a Roman name) and spending a day at a museum or among ruins is the best.

total mystery fan too.

fyi check meet-up groups for geek/nerd culture - gaming etc. I have so many in my area.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I am an Astrophyscist. I am a music nerd. And a Doctor Who nerd. And a Star Wars nerd. I play MTG cards (tournaments and stuff), and solve puzzles as a hobbie & compete at tournaments: (Rubik's cubes, Square -1 cubes, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, 6x6x6, 7x7x7 cubes, etc). And I am a really hardcore gamer, specially RPG's ala Final Fantasy (especially Final Fantasy)

I'm a superhero nerd. both live action and animation.

I have a figure of Aquaman in my bathroom. That alone gives me nurd staus.

Also, I have a bat-signal in my bedroom.

I sort of have a real mix of nerdy qualities similar to most of BBT characters... I'm a nerd in lots of stereotypical and none stereotypical ways, but I can definitely relate to characters on this show.

I first and foremost a Supernatural nerd... I like a lot of tv shows, but Supernatural is my absolute favorite (I'm a Samgirl) and i even go to the conventions now. I am attending one in March here in Las Vegas and I do whole costume thing and make centerpieces and take photo ops with the stars of show etc. I've been to ones in LA, Burbank and Dallas so far already. The cons are done by Creation same people who do Star Trek Cons, but i'm never been to one of those. In fact I just recently started watching the older Star Trek stuff for the first time in my life because I like TBBT so much and I wanted to give it a try and see why Sheldon loves Spock so much. I do like Zacharay Quinto verison of Spock and am excited about the next Star Trek movie, but so far watching the older ones they just feel dated to me....(Sorry Sheldon) lol

I love Firefly like Sheldon and pretty much a Wheaton fangirl nerd in general (big Buffy/angel fan too)

I lived in Texas as a child like Sheldon and I still go back there to Dallas to visit my dad at least once a year or sometimes he comes visits me.

I dont' ever drink and in fact made a big deal on my 21st birthday about going out and ordering apple juice at restaurant like a total nerd lol... my friends all tried to get me to go with them to clubs and stuff and I always said No..just like Sheldon does. and I don't have sex just like Sheldon mostly because of my Christian upbringing and also a little bit for fear of germs/diseases like Sheldon too. I totally get where he's coming from at Howardette's wedding with whole the need to spend your life with someone puzzling them and being perfectly happy on my own kind of deal.

But I'm different from him in that I'm an only child so I'm used to being on my own and learned to enertain myself growing up to point I actually enjoy being by myself more often than being with other people. And I was a military brat for twenty years so i moved around a lot and didn't get to stay in one place long enough to even meet someone I liked and anyone who did ask me out I just told them i wasnt interested or that I had to focus on school. Now i'm little bit more open to idea like Leonard is because i've finally settle down and finished with school now, but still the whole dating thing all seems like a whole lot of work so I'm still on the fence about it lol

I wear glasses like Leonard, Amy and Bernadette do which is nerdy and I don't even bother with contacts. Idea of touching my eyeballs to put them in grosses me out and terrifies me I'm sure Sheldon knows correct name for contact phobia, but whatever it is I've got it. And the idea of hosptials/surgery terrifies me as well so forget getting laser eye surgery lol.

I feel short sometimes like Leonard and I think we're around the same height I'm 5'5. but yeah lot of people around me are taller than me too so I get the whole feeling short thing.

In eighth grade my math teacher ran a club after school and we actually didbuild robotic race cars and participated in a robot race kind of like what guys did on show where they built robots and had them fight each other, but ours were cars so not fighting just racing. We won third place :) But, the "cool" kids made fun of us for wasting our time after school program building cars when they thought we should skip school and I don't know do whatever it is that cool kids did probably what Amy said hanging out in parking lots skateboarding and getting loaded or trying to buy beer. :icon_rolleyes:

But, I actually suck at math though and I am only okay at science and never took physics just chemistry, biology and Earth sciences in school and got mostly Bs only a few As. I actually much preferred English and the Arts in school and I was the President of Art Club in high school, and I love to doodle and sketch like Stuart does, but I didnt' read comic books growing up at all and I still don't.

I've always prefer fictional novels, books, movies and magazines to comic books. If I want to learn about a superhero I wait for the movie or tv show to be made about them. I like Adventures of Lois and Clark, Smallville, Arrow, X-men movies, Batman movie trilogy, Spiderman trilogy etc..but yeah I pretty much prefer to watch superheroes instead of read about them.

Now as for Video gaming thing I get that a little more!! I once spent an entire weekend with my elementary school best friend Charles where we didn't leave the house at all but instead played Mrs. Pacman on my Sega Genesis all day long for two days until my mom made us stop and go outside and get fresh air and go to school. lol I was so mad at her for stopping us. But we eventually beat the game and got through all the levels so that was good at least lol

I use to love love video games as a kid so I was a video game nerd, but now I don't play video games at all anymore because they all seem so advanced now like I wouldn't even know where to start with these new ones like Call of Duty, Halo etc... I'm still stuck in the 90s with the Mrs. Pacman, Sonic the Hedghog, Super Mario bros, Crash Bandicoot days lol and same with Sims, I loved original Sims and Sim City practically addicted to SIms back in the day, but again it all just got so advanced so fast so I quit and I had to stop because you know college, work and real life stuff kind of got in the way of the whole game playing thing too. But, if they had a Supernatural video game out or Big Bang Theory video game I'd definitely start playing again just to play those. :p

I'm little like Bernadette in that I always tried to be nice to everyone at first and people often say I'm "too nice" but then If someone pisses me off I know how to get them into trouble and get my revenge so WATCH OUT lol But, my voice isn't squeaky like hers.

I'm little like Raj in that I sometimes get really super quiet around opposite sex and clam up. Not as bad as him though where its selective mutism, but I just keep quiet and become really shy around cute guys. But, all guys in my family I talk their ears off all time and can get really loud and silly so they dont' get it that with them I'm loud and bubbly happy self, but around strangers I was always super shy and quiet. I've gotten better at speaking up for myself though now thanks to all this internet chatter I do lol.

I'm little like Amy in that I got picked on by popular kids in middle school and high school sometimes and was pretty much a loner who hung out with all the teachers Sometimes, I even use to take my lunch and go eat in my teacher's class rooms during lunch instead of in cafeterias and I always got into deep philosophical type opinion debates with them about stuff back then it was fun kind of like how characters on show argue during lunch about weird stuff all time on the show. I use to do that with other nerds and my teachers at lunch, but it wasn't about zombies vs. mummies it was more school related debates and then debating my friends over silly stuff like which boy band/ tv couple was better or which mtv music video was the best lol. Then in college by then no one cared enough to pick on me or anyone really unless they were in fraternites or sorieties. Most people were just too busy trying to study,, work and pay for college so no time for that childish bullying type nonsense.

But still I'm like Penny in lots of ways like how I'm not really that into science at all despite all my nerdy qualities because I majored in Apparel Marketing and Design so I love clothes and fashion and shopping like Penny does and I can be really Messy like her too. When i come in my room I just throw stuff down on the floor a lot of the time instead of putting it up properly all OCD like Sheldon types do. I never label anything, but I always decorate for Christmas and I own plenty of stuffed animals and toys. I don't believe in keeping them in box as collectors items either I play with the things I buy like Penny does lol. But, at same time i hate germs and constantly use antibacterial soap and keep Purell in my purse and car like Sheldon and dont' really like touching people I dont know well unless I have to..so yeah I'm just basically a total WEIRDO! :D

Edited by Superlovelexi

Considering that this show was recommended to me because people said that I was like Sheldon, I'd say I am pretty nerdy. I enjoy studying, especially when it's science or maths. I'm also a big fan of Star Wars and Star Trek and I love playing video games (I still play Star Wars Battlefront 2 online on the PS2) So I'd say: Math + Science Nerd, Factoid Nerd, Sci-fi nerd and a gaming nerd

I definitely possess some of Sheldon's characteristics, including insistence on schedules, cleanliness and the aforementioned nerdy characteristics in the previous paragraph.

Edited by viddy9
  • Like 2

I`m just a little nerd maybe ;-)

Lets see:

- I love Star Trek, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, Torchwood is cool too

- Like Sheldon I have problems to make friends with someone for example `cause I just don`t trust everybody

- Like Amy I didn`t have much friends in school almost none I would say...

- people think I have an rejecting attitude which is not true I think ( I don`t reject everything)

- people might think I`m strange or something

- some people called me arrogant during my training

-  I can remember things pretty good  like birthdays, names, things that happend on the show (TBBT) (my edetic memory I almost as good as Sheldons)

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

I am some of these things but not a big fan of star trek or star wars as I go more written sci-fi as a medium because you can read lying down in the bath, pool and once the shower and the content and ideas are not as limited or repetitive, BSG was an exception. I did exacerbate my carpal tunnel by playing Ultima V for too many hours so that dates me too. I got prizes for science in high school but found I didn't really want to be an industrial chemist, I did play rugby but was too shortsighted and underweight really.  And I can't catch. or run fast.  Dr Who from Jon Pertwee onwards.(@MJistheBOMB try the BBC iplayer app).  My kids think I'm nerd but I dont really have the math or memory. I have worn a ferrous wheel t-shirt to work, and the rock, paper lizard sissors spock one. I have a Bazinga shirt but it was a gift. I do like my green recycle shirt.   Wheddon in his 'verse is a reasonable facsimile of  what a god might be if gods existed. I married a smart chick who is doing her doctorate... and may one day finish it.

And it all started with marionettes per Space Patrol and Fireball XL5 .

I am a bit of a nerd for words.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I guess a lot of posters have seen that I'm kinda, sorta into numbers and statistics(Nate Silver is one of my heroes).   I also really like, and somewhat understand Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.  I also tend to prefer actual data and evidence in support of statements.  I'm extremely interested in parts of astrophysics (although I'm quite sure I'm not in the same class as Sursonica or Pomita).  I have three older computers running [email protected] continuously and my main computer running it when I'm not using it.  

When I was younger I was deeply involved in Chess (at one point I had a 1800+ rating), board and miniatures war-games (the latter, using medieval miniature rules, with additional magic and creatures rules was the basis for battles found in The Lord of the Rings and eventually became Dungeons and Dragons).

I took my first computer class in 1968 (FORTRAN 66) on a terminal using punchcards connected to a massive room sized 32 bit machine.  I bought my first computer, and have had one since 1978.  Ran a BBS in the early to mid 90s.

I first started reading science fiction from Jules Verne and H G Wells in the mid 60s and moved on to Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, and I really loved Harlan Ellison.   I was watching Twilight Zone and Star Trek TOS on their first run.  Comic Books in the late 60s, but that didn't last too long, as my science fiction reading took over.  I guess it's obvious why I love this show.  

• Like 3

I have a question, guys:

Is a BOOKWORM ( not in math/science/chemistry, but in literature/history/biography/religions/cultures) a NERD too?

I guess a lot of posters have seen that I'm kinda, sorta into numbers and statistics(Nate Silver is one of my heroes).   I also really like, and somewhat understand Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.  I also tend to prefer actual data and evidence in support of statements.  I'm extremely interested in parts of astrophysics (although I'm quite sure I'm not in the same class as Sursonica or Pomita).  I have three older computers running [email protected] continuously and my main computer running it when I'm not using it.  

When I was younger I was deeply involved in Chess (at one point I had a 1800+ rating), board and miniatures war-games (the latter, using medieval miniature rules, with additional magic and creatures rules was the basis for battles found in The Lord of the Rings and eventually became Dungeons and Dragons).

I took my first computer class in 1968 (FORTRAN 66) on a terminal using punchcards connected to a massive room sized 32 bit machine.  I bought my first computer, and have had one since 1978.  Ran a BBS in the early to mid 90s.

I first started reading science fiction from Jules Verne and H G Wells in the mid 60s and moved on to Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, and I really loved Harlan Ellison.   I was watching Twilight Zone and Star Trek TOS on their first run.  Comic Books in the late 60s, but that didn't last too long, as my science fiction reading took over.  I guess it's obvious why I love this show.  

I'm not convinced. You look more like a puzzled biker than a thinking nerd. :icon_wink:

I have a question, guys:

Is a BOOKWORM ( not in math/science/chemistry, but in literature/history/biography/religions/cultures) a NERD too?

I'd have to say no. In my opinion of course!

Reading is good, but you need to include comic books, and take an interest in science matters.

Then there is the physical factor. Collecting stuff.

I'm not convinced. You look more like a puzzled biker than a thinking nerd. :icon_wink:

Camouflage, for infiltration. Really, if you are medically retired, you can dress any way you want. Along with letting your hair and beard grow. Having a bike doesn't hurt either. But hell, Dr. David Underhill drove a bike also.

• Like 3

Camouflage, for infiltration. Really, if you are medically retired, you can dress any way you want. Along with letting your hair and beard grow. Having a bike doesn't hurt either. But hell, Dr. David Underhill drove a bike also.

I spent most of my undergrad years in college with my hair dyed green, blue, fucsia and orange. I used to dress only in black and used metal waistbands and had a punk-rock band. Nerds come in all flavors.

I'd have to say no. In my opinion of course!

Reading is good, but you need to include comic books, and take an interest in science matters.

Then there is the physical factor. Collecting stuff.

Oh sorry, I forgot to add a big colection of comics and superhros knoweldge, sci-fi films too. But not interest in math or chemistry, only in iterature/history/biography/religions/cultures) 

is that a NERD too?

I spent most of my undergrad years in college with my hair dyed green, blue, fucsia and orange. I used to dress only in black and used metal waistbands and had a punk-rock band. Nerds come in all flavors.
We would have gotten along. The picture doesn't show the earrings. Funny thing I like to do is get a part in a play (most directors in the area know what I look like without the beard) and after three or four weeks come in without earrings or glasses with my hair cut for the part. Cast members, who don't know me, ask questions about who is that guy sitting onstage. They usually have to be told who I am.

We would have gotten along. The picture doesn't show the earrings. Funny thing I like to do is get a part in a play (most directors in the area know what I look like without the beard) and after three or four weeks come in without earrings or glasses with my hair cut for the part. Cast members, who don't know me, ask questions about who is that guy sitting onstage. They usually have to be told who I am.

Ha! something like that happenned to me once in college. My ID had a picture of me before the haid dye and with a different style.

Everytime you have to give an exam, they ask you for the ID. One of the professors refused to take the test because he said that the person on the ID was not the same as me :icon_lol: he called some other people and they started looking at my face real close until one of them convinced them that by the shape of the eyes and the nose, that I was indeed the one on the picture. It was really weird having people looking at me so close to my face but whateavs.

Next year I had to change my ID just to renew the pic and avoid problems :p