What Kind Of Nerd Are You?

MJistheBOMB

• 3 months later...

When I'm fan of something, I go pretty deep into thing but I don't consider that being 'geeky'

However, I definitely am a maths and computer geek (spend more time with my computers than with actual people)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm the sort of nerd, who looks up 'nerd', to find out it's origins! I think you have to keep that inquistitive, 'want to know everything', attitude. I think 'nerdy' has been the new 'cool', for along time. It's the sports stars, and rock stars, who are envious! The P.C. is a super tool(+internet), designed by nerds, to help us take over the world! 

• Like 1

So, you've never seen a dalek.....

Well ...I hate the daleks ...they are orrendous killer machines ...they exterminate...exterminate...exterminate  and manage to come back from almost nowhere when less expected...but Dr WHO always find a way around them...after all... they are clumsy...clumsy...clumsy :icon_eek:

Math geek here (currently going for my MSc). I'm also into skycrapers and SciFi.

Will you combine all three, and design us some mind blowing skyscrapers? Architects are designing the twenty first century. More nerdiness> poster of Periodic table on kitchen wall, I find it conceptually beautiful. Poster in this room, based on Darwin's original drawings, and featuring about two hundred life forms!

Will you combine all three, and design us some mind blowing skyscrapers? Architects are designing the twenty first century. More nerdiness> poster of Periodic table on kitchen wall, I find it conceptually beautiful. Poster in this room, based on Darwin's original drawings, and featuring about two hundred life forms!

Yeah well, I do a lot of sketchup work. F.e., I do some renderings for future New York skyscrapers on Google Earth. Mostly, they get accepted. :)

I'm really into skyscrapers, I just love them. I've always been fascinated how human beings could build such tall structures.

I am a computer nerd, I've been programming since I was 11 and still love it to death. I was also into science especially physics and chemistry. I  memorised the whole periodic table in the eigth grade and got made fun of because of that many times :( apparently only my teachers and parents thought it was creditable that time. In physics I enjoyed the chapters of optics, gravitation and kinematics. For some reason I never like current electrcity or magnetism. OH and I loved organic chemistry. One of my favorite topics in chemistry.

I have always been a fan of science fiction and my favorite series is the jurassic park series. I am extremely fascinated by dinosaurs, I remember when I was very young around 8 years I used to go the school's library and the librarian knew I always wanted to read books on dinosaurs and she ordered more books just cause I read them lol.

Edited by Devashri

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as far as my career goes:

• I've always been good at math in school (especially geometry)
  • was in a math-physics class in high school (also loved the Chemistry lab classes)
  • studied Automatics and Computers in university (the Robotics courses and labs were my favorite! i just love robots and I have a Bender action figure on my desk at work)
  • I work as a programmer irl (and loving it!)

as far as my hobbies go:

• I've been known how to solve the Rubik's cube since I was in 4th grade and I own quite a few puzzles of this sort (my favorite to solve is the megaminx)
  • I've been into boardgames for awhile now
  • love Si-Fi movies / tv shows, especially Star Trek
  • of course, I like playing PC games
  • I love astronomy, my sister and I went to an astromony camp once (where I won the 2nd place for beginners). But the best part was, we got to look through the telescope at night and observe all that neat stuff! It was one of the most amazing things that I have ever experienced
Edited by ayin
  • Like 1

From a young age I have had a fascination with Science and Technology. As a kid I'd get up in the middle of the night to watch live news about the apollo missions. After school I'd watch "Professor Moffett's Science Workshop" which the Bob Newhart episode reminded me of (I have only seen bits of that on youtube). When I was still in elementry school I was given what they called a Digital computer kit. Well It could do some binary logic and it got me wondering how real computers worked. This is so different from what is available for kids (of all ages) today. About raspberry pi (credit card sized computer that runs debian linux and costs less than that 1971 kit which did very little).

By the time I was in high school was was buying digital IC's from radio shack and seeing what I could build (not much). Other interests in high school were reading science fiction, fantasy, and science textbooks, chess and some D&D. In University I took Electrical Engineering and specialized in digital electronics. I was a electronics engineering technology lab instructor for 18 years and now work as a physics lab technician. We are working on developing an applied physics degree "Physics for Modern Technology" and first year classes will be offered this fall. I spend a significant amount of my time keeping current with computers, operating systems, microcontrollers, C programming and everything related to data acquisition and computer interfacing (I try at least). And yes I love learning about science and technology as much today as I did during those Apollo missions (perhaps even more).

I have not had any time for games or much fiction reading in a long time but I do enjoy watching Big Bang Theory when I get home from work in the evenings. My wife and I have also raised four kids.

edited Sept. 20, 2013

Thought I'd add that I got some parts 3D printed for the first time. Just a fitting to hold a light sensor tube above a support rod.post-10006-0-35198900-1379726995_thumb.j

edited again Oct. 2014

fixed a link and some typo's

Edited by djsurrey

• 4 weeks later...

I consider myself a nerd.  I love books, history, LARP's, MORPG's, B rate movies, Dr. Who, and many other things.  I might not go as far as some of the guys on the show, there are no collectables in my home, and I haven't collected comics in years, but I have played games like "Magic the Gathering".

My first post, how very exciting! I 100% consider myself a nerd. I love everything Joss Whedon, love readin science fiction/fantasy, find biology so awesome it's kind of sad, and I am also a huge anthropology nerd! Leonard's middle name is Leakey, as in Louis Leakey, I love that so much!

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure .. am I? I study in university and love "nerd activities", like cons, roleplay, laser fight or queuing my favourite movies. My boyfriend plays warcraft, I don't. I look quite a normal, I think. No nerd looks.

Hmm, what kind of nerd am I...Well, I like superheroes a lot. Many times whenever they chatter about them in the show, I feel a part of their discussions. Sadly I do not have a comic book collection, just do not have the spare money to shell out for that sort of addiction in addition to my overwhelming addiction for paranormal/supernatural/romance novels.

I in particular love supernatural, paranormal, sci-fi, romance, and anything along those lines TV shows, movies, books, and so on. I actively watch Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, Arrow, How I Met Your Mother, Revolution, True Blood, New Girl, The Originals, Star Trek (Next Gen.), The Walking Dead, Doctor Who (2005 version), Person of Interest, and so much more (the above are honestly just a few of the ones I watch or watched throughout the years). For some reason it's uplifting to part-take in the lives of those on books and the big screen.

I'm a huge graphics nerd. I own my own website dedicated to graphical design, and enjoy making graphics and the resources necessary to make graphics. Thinking about it my biggest addictions in life would probably be Diet Dr Pepper, the internet/technology, graphics, and reading. Suppose those (maybe besides the Dr Pepper, that's just a flat out addiction xD) are where my nerd senses tingle.

I am a loving fan of video games, as well. Every year I get the new Call of Duty game, even though many complain that it is the same thing year after year and little testostrone-filled teenage boys play it and fill it with negativity. I also get the new Assassin's Creed game year after year, helplessly in love with the storyline and plot, though was not particularly fond of the lack of 'assassiny' stuff in Black Flag, but still loved it. I used to actively play Runescape (online MMORPG) for years and still have an account and affiliated with a Runescape fansite, but am starting to dabble in League of Legends more actively since so many people play it.

My nerdiness of course is not the same caliber that it is for Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, and Raj, but nonetheless the above are the things in life that I could gush about frantically like Sheldon does about trains.

• 3 weeks later...

Omg... What kind of nerd am I? Well in elementary school I took aeronautics in summer school, that was the beginning. In high school I was the president of the science club for 3yrs, I was in science quiz bowl for 3 yrs, academic decathlon 4yrs and in an occupational program for biotechnology. I was on the national honor roll for 4 yrs, received the science club scholarship.

I am also a jock. I lettered in multiple sports in High school and worked for the local pd while still in school.

I have a BS in psychology and am pursuing my MS.

So I'm a little nerdy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more of a nerd-by-marriage.  My hubs is a huge comic collector and he got me into LARPing and more into D&D (we actually tested the 3rd edition before it was released), he introduced me to Dr. Who and Heinlein.  I already loved Star Wars (saw all three originals in the theatre) and Star Trek, I love reading paranormal and fantasy and consider my favorite kind of date is dinner, a superhero or scifi movies and a trip to the bookstore.

• Like 1

I am a total anime/manga geek! My collection of anime, manga, wall scrolls, character statues, and other assorted items takes over my husband's former "man cave." It is now the "otaku haven." I do give him a shelf for his sports memorabilia! I do like Star Trek TOS, and although I like Star Wars, I like Star Trek TOS better. Big on Harry Potter. I also have a BS in Forensic Science, which includes a broad array of topics from biology, chemistry, physics, math, and Criminology. I totally am a science nerd. I also read a lot of books. I am also into the paranormal a little, but not a huge fanatic. My cousin got me into it.....he actually has his own paranormal show some of you might have seen (Paranormal State).

Edited by certifiedotakuandfangirl
  • Like 1

I am a big BIG aviation nerd...

Aircraft, flying and the physics of flight have been my thing since a young age.. Sometimes I would travel JUST for the flying part. 

I work in the aviation industry as well which is pretty cool considering I get to work with my passion :) How many people get to do that?

It also sparked a love for photography :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/kazziewmuse/

I am a big weather nerd as well. But thats highly linked with aviation I guess!

• Like 1