The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

Ten Things You Hate About Christmas?!?

Ten things you hate about Christmas?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. So, what are the things you hate about christmas???

• The fake cheer and fake smiles
    • Soft presents (not another pair of socks!!!)
    • Santa Claus nonsense
    • The infernal christmas music and songs
    • The church going
    • Seeing annoying relatives (and having to listen to their yarns!)
    • Overdone christmas decorations
    • Strangers wishing you merry christmas on streets (are they drunk?)
    • The christmas shopping for presents
    • Greasy christmas foods

So!!!

Christmas is over, so it is time to let off some pressure!!!

So tell us what are the things you hate about christmas the most.

You can pick multiple choises in this vote, so pick as many as you want!

I didn't have any of those things because I'm away from my family this year. It was just another day, except I made a nice dinner with the usual trimmings and watched Dr Who. Perfect really.

The thing I hate about Christmas, is also the thing I love. The food! everyone gives out liquors and mince pies and there's so much nice food to buy. I always eat too much and put on about 10 pounds!! Then I pay for it in the new year. I never learn! 

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

None of the ones on the list. I really really hate though that EVERY YEAR my mom cries at the strike of midnight and starts rambling about all of our relatives who died, specially her parents. I know she loves them, I loved them too, but it's been more than 10 years... STOP IT WITH THE CRYING YOU RUIN OUR WHOLE NIGHT, MOM!

so, yeah, that's what I hate.

• Like 2

I don't hate anything on that list except the shopping - which I decided to forego this year because, well, I'm broke and there aren't any kids in the family, so everyone else had to just suck it. No presents. Which is fine because everyone else was in the same boat.

What I hate is that my oldest brother is always, ALWAYS drunk and ends up ruining any chance of a pleasant afternoon. He is 11 years older than me and left home when I was 7, I didn't see him again for 10 years and to say the least we are not close.  My mom died a couple of years ago, so we have no tradition now on where to gather.  But last year, I cooked, and he came over with his Rottweiler, was all annoyed that I wouldn't let the dog in the house BECAUSE I HAVE THREE CATS, and while we were watching TV, he looked at this lovely picture of a street in France that I have on the wall above and remarked, "I don't like that picture." Who does that? Holiday or not, why am I supposed to want to see him?

Humbug. This year I stayed home with my best friend/roommmate, made a delicious white lasagna, and like you Moonbase watched some Dr Who. I miss my mother, but this was the best Christmas in years.

• Like 1

None of the ones on the list. I really really hate though that EVERY YEAR my mom cries at the strike of midnight and starts rambling about all of our relatives who died, specially her parents. I know she loves them, I loved them too, but it's been more than 10 years... STOP IT WITH THE CRYING YOU RUIN OUR WHOLE NIGHT, MOM!

so, yeah, that's what I hate.

I don't mean to speak ill of your mother but I have always felt like scheduled grieving was disingenuous.  We don't owe the dead anything.  I have lost a lot of important people to me starting at the age of 6.  Their lives are what defined them not their deaths.

Your mother is probably afraid of being forgotten but that never happens.  Even 36 years is not enough to make me forget who I lost at 6.  No, I don't think of her everyday but she comes up enough and I still love her.  I still do things to bring back memories I have of her but that is, again, of her life not her death.

• Like 1

1. The fake cheer and fake smiles...I don´t celebrate Christmas with this type of people so....
  2. Soft presents (not another pair of socks!!!).....every present is good
  3. Santa Claus nonsense...............when I was a kid I was so big fan of him so I cannot complain :)
  4. The infernal christmas music and songs....like them :)
  5. The church going.....I don´t go and if people go that don´t disturb me at all so...
  6. Seeing annoying relatives (and having to listen to their yarns!)...I don´t see/visit them in Christmas so this is not a problem for me :)
  7. Overdone christmas decorations.....looove :D
  8. Strangers wishing you merry christmas on streets (are they drunk?)....oh, I think this is lovely :)
  9. The christmas shopping for presents....in my country is not so crazy as in USA (Europe too?)
  10. Greasy christmas foods...here food is not greasy but very caloric for our hot/summer Christmas, maybe this is the only wrong I can see in Christmas, we should have that food in winter and to have our own Christmas food and not to follow European/USA traditions :(
  • Like 1

1. The fake cheer and fake smiles...I don´t celebrate Christmas with this type of people so....
  2. Soft presents (not another pair of socks!!!).....every present is good
  3. Santa Claus nonsense...............when I was a kid I was so big fan of him so I cannot complain :)
  4. The infernal christmas music and songs....like them :)
  5. The church going.....I don´t go and if people go that don´t disturb me at all so...
  6. Seeing annoying relatives (and having to listen to their yarns!)...I don´t see/visit them in Christmas so this is not a problem for me :)
  7. Overdone christmas decorations.....looove :D
  8. Strangers wishing you merry christmas on streets (are they drunk?)....oh, I think this is lovely :)
  9. The christmas shopping for presents....in my country is not so crazy as in USA (Europe too?)
  10. Greasy christmas foods...here food is not greasy but very caloric for our hot/summer Christmas, maybe this is the only wrong I can see in Christmas, we should have that food in winter and to have our own Christmas food and not to follow European/USA traditions :(

Lissie,

You seen to be a wise and wonderful person!!

I hate Christmas PERIOD. Mainly because it's a lie from the ground up. I'm not saying I don't believe that Christ was born. I'm saying that everything about the day we (well not me) celebrate as "Christmas" is completely false.

• Like 1

Most I hate are overdone christmas lilghts out of doors.

I mean two or three light features on the front lawn are nice and good taste.

But some people put their lawns chock full of lights and that looks really ugly, and shows really bad taste.

worst taste are the plastic santas and snowmen, the ones with light inside. Man they are ugly.

And then those horrible reindeers and sleighs some nutters set up on their roofs. (are they mad or something?!?)

You didn't add an option for Christmas being an unbiblical pagan festival observed by non Christians and professing (but blind) Christians alike.

The deceived professing Christians that preach Christmas cheer should also be added as an option of things to hate. :icon_twisted:

I hate Christmas PERIOD. Mainly because it's a lie from the ground up. I'm not saying I don't believe that Christ was born. I'm saying that everything about the day we (well not me) celebrate as "Christmas" is completely false.

You are a knowledgeable nerd indeed. :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Catweazle

You didn't add an option for Christmas being an unbiblical pagan festival observed by non Christians and professing (but blind) Christians alike.

The deceived professing Christians that preach Christmas cheer should also be added as an option of things to hate. :icon_twisted:

Indeed. I'm sceptical of Jesus of Nazareth himself, as I'm an atheist, but Christmas itself is a definite fallacy. As Sheldon has said, the Pope moved Jesus' birthday to coincide with the Pagan Winter Solstice.

I'm also angry that it's not called Newtonmas! Anyway, I don't really mind it being called Christmas. Thursday was named after Thor, and most of us don't (I assume) believe in Thor any longer, but we still call it Thursday.

Nevertheless, out of the ones in the poll, it has to be the Santa Claus nonsense.

Yes, 10 things I hate (no way I'm picking one).

1)  Starts before Thanksgiving.

2)  The music...that starts before Thanksgiving.

3)  Gift Cards. Just give me cash. Gift cards as mostly a scam.

4)  The whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! debate. 

5)  Lowest price of the year sales...on Black Friday...then on the weekend before Xmas....the weekend after xmas...just before new years and then just after new years.

6)  Nonstop Xmas movies...that I've seen played year after year.

7)  The commercialization so sadly disguised as spiritual encouragement/validation (If you love your kid, you'll buy them this!).

8)  Wrapping presents.

9)  The weather.

10) Screwing up my work schedule (especially when it lands on a Tues or Wed.).

Indeed. I'm sceptical of Jesus of Nazareth himself, as I'm an atheist, but Christmas itself is a definite fallacy. As Sheldon has said, the Pope moved Jesus' birthday to coincide with the Pagan Winter Solstice.

I'm also angry that it's not called Newtonmas! Anyway, I don't really mind it being called Christmas. Thursday was named after Thor, and most of us don't (I assume) believe in Thor any longer, but we still call it Thursday.

Nevertheless, out of the ones in the poll, it has to be the Santa Claus nonsense.

Personally I do not understand why people argue about when Jesus was born exaclty. Or where exactly.

-It does not matter!! IT's not relevant to Jesuses teachings!!

-What is important is to realize that Jesus in THE only path to salvation.

Praying to saints and stuff and doing good things is no help there. Only Jesus can save you!

And I mean it!

Well, it does not matter when Jesus was born and Christmas is only a symbolic day of his Birthday, even lot of people don´t know this!! But the important here is that Christmas date represent a big characteristic of Christianity: to appropiate important dates of some other religions and to transform them in Christian celebrations, behaviour used widely for chrushing down other religions. This system was used a lot here in Latin America with aboriginal religions.

Said this...I love Christmas :p

Well, it does not matter when Jesus was born and Christmas is only a symbolic day of his Birthday, even lot of people don´t know this!! But the important here is that Christmas date represent a big characteristic of Christianity: to appropiate important dates of some other religions and to transform them in Christian celebrations, behaviour used widely for chrushing down other religions. This system was used a lot here in Latin America with aboriginal religions.

Said this...I love Christmas :p

If God wanted Christmas to be observed then the the date of Christ's birth would have been made plain in scripture.Which it is not. Also, the manner of observance would have been laid out. Which it has not. Also, Christ's Apostles would have observed Christmas. Which they did not.

Christmas is a fake pagan festival introduced into professing Christianty hundreads of years after the death of Christ.

If God wanted Christmas to be observed then the the date of Christ's birth would have been made plain in scripture.Which it is not. Also, the manner of observance would have been laid out. Which it has not. Also, Christ's Apostles would have observed Christmas. Which they did not.

Christmas is a fake pagan festival introduced into professing Christianty hundreads of years after the death of Christ.

Yes, but still I love Christmas :p